Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not a proper school computer network unless there's a hidden install of Unreal Tournament '99 on the computers.

I can still remember the rage on the computer technicians face when he bust in on 12 people playing UT.

Poor guys were completely outclassed by the nerds in my lectures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Lady Disdain posted:

It's funny because someone did a terrible job of photoshopping a tower and a woman between the awesome lizard and the ocean its swimming in.

Why do you hate fun?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's crazy to think that these days schools have the problem of their WiFi getting tied up from so much Fortnight.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not a proper school computer network unless there's a hidden install of Unreal Tournament '99 on the computers.

Hell yeah. Played the crap outta Unreal Tournament DEMO version on school LAN at "Computer Club" from 99-2002.

Also Rainbow Six and Quake.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

When I went to boarding school in nowhere, Tennessee in the early/mid 2000s the internet was practically non existent but all of the dorms and the computer lab were on the same LAN so we had constant Unreal Tournament, Halo, and Half-Life LAN parties.

I kinda miss that.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Riatsala posted:

When I went to boarding school in nowhere, Tennessee

Bell Buckle?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Back in my day, all we had was the hidden Breakout game in the Mac OS Finder, and sending network messages on the old PCs (which were either 8086s or maybe early 286s). I wrote a half-assed version of Pong in BASIC programming class to have something to do between assignments.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

When I was in high school, one of the school nerds bought his own name as a .com domain and put up a web-based proxy that circumvented the school's netnanny filtering. It lasted quite a while before the administration caught on and figured out how to block it.

When the school migrated over to iMacs, I discovered that they had given them all root access and on the last day I ever used the computer lab I typed rm -rf / into the command line on one of them

I was a poo poo. Ah, the good old days when my computer teachers knew less about computers than I did.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I was a poo poo. Ah, the good old days when my computer teachers knew less about computers than I did.

I wonder if that was a "one and done" type of thing for our generation. For all my kids know, tablets/computers are just magic boxes that provide entertainment. They thought I was some sort of super hacker when I was setting up a raspberry pi to run retropie.
(I automatically assume everyone on this forum is pretty much in their 30's and 40's)

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
There were very few people in my school who shared my love of Dance Dance Revolution, but drat if Stepmania didn't spread through the computer lab like wildfire.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My homeroom for two years of high school was the class they taught low level computer poo poo like keyboarding in. I installed Wolfenstein 3D on the computer at my desk and also a shortcut to pull up the screensaver really fast. This was DOS so there was no Alt Tabbing obviously

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

The Bloop posted:

My homeroom for two years of high school was the class they taught low level computer poo poo like keyboarding in. I installed Wolfenstein 3D on the computer at my desk and also a shortcut to pull up the screensaver really fast. This was DOS so there was no Alt Tabbing obviously

Crap I can't tell if this is a real memory or a fever dream but I seem to remember the II-C's would go into screensaver automatically if you dragged the mouse down to the bottom right corner of the screen.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I used to work for a big games publisher and every lunchtime we had a hour of Unreal Tournament/Counterstrike/Team Fortress - we used to play each one for a few weeks until people started bitching too much and then move on to the next in the cycle. At one point we had enough people that we needed two 32 player servers. It was 100% the best thing about working there and I still miss those games. A small group of us also played a lot of Mortal Kombat in the boardroom because it had a v nice projector..

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

DandyLion posted:

Crap I can't tell if this is a real memory or a fever dream but I seem to remember the II-C's would go into screensaver automatically if you dragged the mouse down to the bottom right corner of the screen.

That was a thing, yeah - I don't remember if IIcs had it but Macs definitely did, although on the ones I was familiar with it was the upper right corner.

PYF After Dark screensaver

https://i.imgur.com/4yObWha.mp4

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
talking of LAN parties, Assembly 2019 is on right now: https://www.assembly.org/summer19

I'm much more insterested in the demosene side, but theres game stuff too apparently.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

I don't remember this in the After Dark pack

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DandyLion posted:

Hot Corners is one of those Mac features that go way back. They're mad configurable now.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Besesoth posted:

That was a thing, yeah - I don't remember if IIcs had it but Macs definitely did, although on the ones I was familiar with it was the upper right corner.

PYF After Dark screensaver

https://i.imgur.com/4yObWha.mp4

I remember when you could see screensavers for sale in computer shops.

Wow, $20 to shoot mimes? A bargain!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My high school network had nothing of the sort. Our admin installed Quake III and DooM personally - he knew it was inevitable, so he made sure it wasn't a security breach. He was a rocket magnet.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I remember when you could see screensavers for sale in computer shops.

Wow, $20 to shoot mimes? A bargain!

Man I remember someone was selling a Loony Tunes screen saver creator in the early 90's. Basically you would get a library of animated segments that you could put together in any order and make your own screensavers out of.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What is rocket magnet

e: oh in the games. I feel foolish

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

It is a crime that Johnny Castaway doesnt work on Windows 10.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

GodDAMN that's a blast from the past. I can actually remember watching that when I was a kid, to try and see new stuff. Like, sat in front of the computer like I was watching TV.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Just Offscreen posted:

It is a crime that Johnny Castaway doesnt work on Windows 10.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Try this!

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2pxopz/how_to_johnny_castaway_screensaver_on_64_bit/

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

https://twitter.com/1t59o/status/1148410312783253504
Audio is obnoxious but adds a layer.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Roblo posted:

I can still remember the rage on the computer technicians face when he bust in on 12 people playing UT.

Poor guys were completely outclassed by the nerds in my lectures.

We used to play CS with our technicians. Because they literally were dudes from our school on a gap year. But I mostly played some MtG knock-off that was popular at the time instead, so I still suck at shooty games to this day. Wasted youth.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm pretty certain that saying God is overpowered (thus implying that He should be nerfed) is heresy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

hot drat I've been so silk this last week.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

post the (likely waifu) pillow

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Bloop posted:

yes please, im a self-hating silk person who wants this

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Bloop posted:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Honestly, I'd buy that.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

the funniest thing about this one is the rightmost use suggestion

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pfgfhaha. Thank you for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Thinkgn about thos berries.