Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I think in this day and age errata should be something that is used a bit more liberally. In particular, I want to see more companies using it to buff cards that are too weak to make them better. Right now, errata is almost always synonymous with nerf and I'd like to see it used to make cards that never see play enhanced. This is especially important when it seems like FFG know their meta is too long between new cards and when the new cards don't do anything to fix the problems a Clan is already facing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
What's the best core set LCG you've seen? I'm thinking the options are 1/3 playsets like FFG does, 1/2 playsets like doomtown, or full playsets like VS.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shadowfist: Combat in Kowloon is the best LCG core set because it has everything you need in it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
FFG did that previously with Blue Moon Legends

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey recently got back into GoT online
Timing question: I am rhe first player. I have I Am No One in hand and two eligible targets. In precisely what timing window do I play it for the first challenge? And for the second?

bruinfix
Sep 6, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Hey recently got back into GoT online
Timing question: I am rhe first player. I have I Am No One in hand and two eligible targets. In precisely what timing window do I play it for the first challenge? And for the second?

You would play it in the window before declaring first challenge. I am no one makes the target character stay standing when declared for a challenge so there would be reduced benefit for playing it after declaring a challenge because your target would already be knelt.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

K. Is there a window after marshalling but before declaring the challenge? Throneteki is weird about it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ok I'm just getting confused about the way it does timing, looked it up and it makes sense now. On a related note: are the premade intro decks worth using, either against randoms or each other?

E: I'm playing Tyrell and getting owned

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 9, 2019

bruinfix
Sep 6, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

K. Is there a window after marshalling but before declaring the challenge? Throneteki is weird about it.

There is an action window before declaring the challenge in the challenges phase.

StashAugustine posted:

Ok I'm just getting confused about the way it does timing, looked it up and it makes sense now. On a related note: are the pre-made intro decks worth using, either against randoms or each other?

E: I'm playing Tyrell and getting owned

I wouldn't use the pre-made intro decks against randoms. They are okay, but not very consistent as they have many 1 ofs. I think they are fine against each other as I think they were made to be balanced. If you want some meta decklists, I have a few, but they are a bit dated as I haven't attended a tournament since February. Just message me or let me know if you don't have messaging.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

FFG only has 2 weeks left to beat Magellan's time for crossing the Pacific with this loving Wilds of Rhovanion reprint :argh:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
FFG just announced a Marvel themed Co-op LCG: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/7/31/marvel-champions/

I didn't know they had the Marvel license so that's cool.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I'm not a huge fan of Marvel but I have such faith in FFG making fun co-op games that I'm getting this when it launches. The core set being a full play set seems super rad too, as I never get more than one core.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Any guesses on when this might come out? This would be perfect for family Christmas

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

This fall... October? I think they had announced two monthly releases before 2020.

What annoys me is that the first campaign expansion comes out... Sometime. I'd have thought it would be out relatively soon so people don't burn out.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So did ffg abandon the digital medium or something because I was really looking forward to maybe playing the Arkham Horror lcg without having to deal with the actual card handling exercise.

LOTR releases seem slow as hell too.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

"FFG” posted:

In addition, although previous Living Card Game Core Sets required multiple purchases to get a complete set of cards, Fantasy Flight Games is proud to announce that just one Marvel Champions: The Card Game Core Set will give you a complete set of cards, giving you everything you need to customize your heroes!

...aaaaaaand those are the magic words that will get me to take the plunge on my first LCG!

I’ve been intrigued by the premise for a while, but all the existing games are so many expansions deep it felt like a huge investment to try and catch up. Getting in on the ground floor with a licence I dig feels like the perfect starting point.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope it’s enjoyable. Keyforge was a wet fart imho.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

GrandpaPants posted:

So did ffg abandon the digital medium or something because I was really looking forward to maybe playing the Arkham Horror lcg without having to deal with the actual card handling exercise.

LOTR releases seem slow as hell too.

LOTR digital is basically dead in the water. I think since March they’re released one expansion and one extra quest, both of which I played through within a few days, and there aren’t nearly enough card combinations to make multiple playthroughs genuinely fun yet. I remain hopeful, but it certainly doesn’t bode well.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
The second expansion they're doing in 2019 is more villains (after Captain America). I think I read somewhere it's Thanos's villains?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

MeinPanzer posted:

LOTR digital is basically dead in the water. I think since March they’re released one expansion and one extra quest, both of which I played through within a few days, and there aren’t nearly enough card combinations to make multiple playthroughs genuinely fun yet. I remain hopeful, but it certainly doesn’t bode well.

To this day I still don't get why they didn't just port the card game. People like the card game! Give us the card game!

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

They're not a digital company and doing this sort of thing properly is expensive and time consuming and there's no guarantee it'll be worth it

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Yeah, and I think they were stuck between a rock and a hard place in a sense with LOTR digital. If they just ported the tabletop version of LOTR into digital, which, I agree, would probably have made a better product overall, they would've gotten a lot of complaints from people about paying for something they already owned and I'm sure it would've been harder to monetize.

The solution they opted for, though, just comes across as kind of half-assed. I actually forgot about the game for a few months until a couple of weeks ago, and when I checked in they'd done a superficial redesign of the interface and added one quest, which basically added no extra replay value.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 2, 2019

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
I still believe in the Switch version. They promised!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I grabbed all the Marvel Champions spoiled in the Team Covenant videos, through them up on imgur.

https://imgur.com/a/YXHTzWH

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

MeinPanzer posted:

Yeah, and I think they were stuck between a rock and a hard place in a sense with LOTR digital. If they just ported the tabletop version of LOTR into digital, which, I agree, would probably have made a better product overall, they would've gotten a lot of complaints from people about paying for something they already owned and I'm sure it would've been harder to monetize.

Is this true though? Do people complain that MTGA means that they're double dipping on Magic? Do people say this about any digital ports of board games? They would have been expanding the market to people who don't want to bother with the physical hassle of building decks or waiting for a specific expansion to be restocked or whatever. Half the reason I stopped playing is because I didn't want to spend 10 to 15 minutes to set up an encounter deck, plus however much time to make my player deck, when I should just be able to click click because it's 2019.

The issue is that instead of just porting a known and very well liked game, they're now essentially designing a new game (which I imagine got more backlash than any potential outcry over double dipping) , and the numerous patches that fix cost and whatnot show that there's a nonzero amount of work that needs to be done.

Like wotc isn't a software company either, but MTGA shows that it's possible to port your game, expand your audience, and maintain a paper audience (although they do seem to be trying their best to kill paper Magic).

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

CitizenKeen posted:

I grabbed all the Marvel Champions spoiled in the Team Covenant videos, through them up on imgur.

https://imgur.com/a/YXHTzWH

Interesting! I like the resource mechanic, but the way that Black Panther works seems.... bad? Maybe it'll play better in practice, but having having a bunch of low-quality cards that become above average with an enabler seems less good than just doin' stuff.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

nomadotto posted:

Interesting! I like the resource mechanic, but the way that Black Panther works seems.... bad? Maybe it'll play better in practice, but having having a bunch of low-quality cards that become above average with an enabler seems less good than just doin' stuff.

His Upgrade cards don't do anything at all.

He has 7 copies of Wakanda Forever (7/40 with the draw rates they went through seem good). So, as the game goes on, he ramps and ramps until Wakanda Forever becomes this beast of a card. Both he and Iron Man seem to lean heavily on ramping.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I like that Nick Fury is just Gandalf

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
When I have time to do a proper job I should probably start a Marvel Champions thread, but until then, here's a link to the Green Goblin pack announcement.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/8/8/the-green-goblin/

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Honestly the reason this thread exists is because there isn't enough interest to keep stand alone LCG threads alive with FFG's release schedule. I'd keep it here unless (somehow) this game blows up to ANR levels. It'll rot otherwise.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

They promised releases every month so... 🤷‍♂️

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

WerrWaaa posted:

They promised releases every month so... 🤷‍♂️

:unsmith: of course they do...

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

At least they know that's the problem. If I were trying to compete with FFG I would do it almost solely on consistent releases. They are trying to solve a problem of their own making before anyone else can get to it.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Also Renegade announced a new Vampire expantable card game, and that's neat.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Every LCG scene I've been a part of (4 now) died from FFG's inconsistent release schedule. Going 2-3 months between releases when they were supposed to be monthly meant people took breaks. And for every person who took a break, others were less incentivized to go to the weekly meetup. And when the new packs came out not everyone would return.

I'd much rather they commit to every 2 months consistently than every month inconsistently.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

PJOmega posted:

Every LCG scene I've been a part of (4 now) died from FFG's inconsistent release schedule. Going 2-3 months between releases when they were supposed to be monthly meant people took breaks. And for every person who took a break, others were less incentivized to go to the weekly meetup. And when the new packs came out not everyone would return.

I'd much rather they commit to every 2 months consistently than every month inconsistently.

Same. A two month schedule would be move on the wallet too

Hauki
May 11, 2010

PJOmega posted:

yeah, same

they're just trying to juggle too many properties, and every time they focus on shoveling a new one out the door virtually every other brand they have suffers as a result

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

PJOmega posted:

This is why I like arkham. I can just play with friends whenever we have time and work through the story.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Arkham is the one game that would benefit from the l5r release schedule (myself I make my purchases twice per cycle), I'm perpetually astounded they went with it for an actual competitive game instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
This is their first game since they got their new KeyForge printer relationship/setup, so I'm curious to see how it plays out.