Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Zzulu posted:

dont go on expensive vacations you cant afford

Yeah seriously wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Whorelord posted:

cw: dead kids

Ah yes, kids from the noted arabian country, Afghanistan.
A country where blond and blue eyed people are so so rare.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Why didn't the guy call himself American-African?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Zzulu posted:

dont go on expensive vacations you cant afford

I mean, he's not? That's kinda the point, the parental income isn't enough to cover the airfare, but with the kids kicking in from their summer jobs, they have enough to go. If the kids don't contribute the family can't afford it and won't go, if they do contribute then they can and will.

It's probably a bit much to require this of them when they're still so young, but it doesn't feel like anyone has done anything *wrong* here, just a crossed wires/a mistake combined with a lovely financial situation which prevents the dad taking his kids abroad on his own dime.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

Lagomorphic posted:

Go to the pound. Pick out a nice goofy looking mutt. Name it after your sister.

Absolute power move, I hope she does this.

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Who. The. gently caress. Cares. Why are so many parents such insufferable morons?

Naming your kid is an act of aggression.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Fatkraken posted:

I mean, he's not? That's kinda the point, the parental income isn't enough to cover the airfare, but with the kids kicking in from their summer jobs, they have enough to go. If the kids don't contribute the family can't afford it and won't go, if they do contribute then they can and will.

It's probably a bit much to require this of them when they're still so young, but it doesn't feel like anyone has done anything *wrong* here, just a crossed wires/a mistake combined with a lovely financial situation which prevents the dad taking his kids abroad on his own dime.
If things are so tight that they can't afford to take their kids, they can't afford a European vacation. So many people are horrible with money.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fatkraken posted:

quote:

I told her that she would have to pay the $775 or that she could not go.

Kind of sounds like the parents are intent on going regardless.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Straight White Shark posted:

Kind of sounds like the parents are intent on going regardless.

yeah, but he also says

quote:

I feel that we wouldn't get to go otherwise and that most kids don't get to travel to Europe.

so it's a bit unclear as to what they'll do if she can't afford the airfare

I dunno, I think the teen kids are young enough that going with just one of them would be a dick move so he should probably just ditch the whole thing, doesn't sound like either of them were super enthusiastic about the trip in the first place. Going with just his wife is still an option since that would be a grown up couple holiday rather than a family holiday with one child left out, my mum would go on holiday without the kids most years (parents are divorced so we stayed with our dad).

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 2, 2019

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

Leon Einstein posted:

If things are so tight that they can't afford to take their kids, they can't afford a European vacation. So many people are horrible with money.

Is it unreasonable to ask your kids at 16 to save up for a vacation opportunity? Kids should be making choices and learning finances at that time. My parents never took me on a vacation that involved flying due to the expense, but if I had the chance to go on a family trip to Europe for $1000 I would have jumped at the chance.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Crazy hot take here but one of the things you passively agree to sacrifice when you have children is the freedom to travel whenever you like BECAUSE YOU HAVE CHILDREN YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Dr Strangepants posted:

Is it unreasonable to ask your kids at 16 to save up for a vacation opportunity? Kids should be making choices and learning finances at that time. My parents never took me on a vacation that involved flying due to the expense, but if I had the chance to go on a family trip to Europe for $1000 I would have jumped at the chance.
It's not bad to ask them to chip in, but 1k is steep for a 16 year old and if you honestly can't afford to cover their costs, you have no business taking a European vacation.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
idk seems like they can afford to go if the kids help defray ~$1600 in costs, can't if they don't. that doesn't seem particularly unreasonable? $1600 is a lot of money in a travel budget.

e: if they're still planning on going by themselves without the kids if the kids can't save up the money, then yeah that's lovely.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Lol at being such selfish and lovely parents that you'd ditch your children because they couldn't afford nearly a grand with whatever summer job money they might be able to scrounge up.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

They could at least wait a few years to go off on a couple's vacation.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PetraCore posted:

They could at least wait a few years to go off on a couple's vacation.

For that matter, they could wait another year to budget and save properly for a family vacation. Even if they still needed/wanted the kids to chip in, that's a much better way of teaching them about the value of money rather than showing up with your hand out and telling them to cough up their savings. And then they'd actually have money to spend doing things in Europe (I know it's possible to find interesting and worthwhile things to do on vacation without spending a lot of money, but it does probably sound like they were asking their kids to fork over most of their lifetime earnings to go sit around in someone's flat for a week.)

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Telemaze posted:

Baby loss is the worst but most of the time it's no one's fault. It's just one of those lovely things that happens. It sounds like the sister died from twin to twin transfusion syndrome, which is definitely not the fault of the healthy twin (especially because they can also loving die from it!).

Honestly it wasn't the mother's fault either but she invited that by blaming and hating her living kid. OP is NTA.

To me it seems like the typical reaction is to treat the surviving child like solid gold. I knew a lady at work who lost an infant at 3 months and then admitted to spoiling the crap out of the next kid she had.

I have a daughter and the thought of losing her is unimaginable but I just can't imagine losing a child and then treating the surviving one like crap :smith:

While the loss of her baby wasn't her fault, treating her other child like crap absolutely was her fault. Lady should've gotten therapy instead of holding a grudge and emotionally abusing her kid for decades.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
is it really that terrible for parents to go away for a week without their 16 year old kids? like people honestly think it is? Like I said my mum would do a week long walking holiday in the Greek islands or w/e most years and none of us resented that even at much younger than 16. I guess having divorced parents might make a difference, it's not like we ever had FULL undivided family holidays after that anyway...

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

Fatkraken posted:

is it really that terrible for parents to go away for a week without their 16 year old kids? like people honestly think it is?

For the most part it seems people are fine with the parents taking a couples vacation. What they're doing is attaching a huge bill to each kid and calling it a "family" vacation.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

Fatkraken posted:

is it really that terrible for parents to go away for a week without their 16 year old kids? like people honestly think it is? Like I said my mum would do a week long walking holiday in the Greek islands or w/e most years and none of us resented that even at much younger than 16. I guess having divorced parents might make a difference, it's not like we ever had FULL undivided family holidays after that anyway...

The exchange student's parents invited the whole family to stay in their apartment. I imagine said exchange student is looking forward to hanging with his two potential american friends he made while living here, and not opening the door to find two adults and no friends at his door, and an awkward week hanging out with them. This wasn't an anniversary vacation or something like that, and understandably you wouldn't want kids on that kind of vacation.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

Hey family, lets go on a trip together! It's going to cost quite a bit of your savings, but you don't want to be left alone while everyone else is having fun. Oh wait, you can't afford a plane ticket at all? See ya later losers!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
the op didn't seem indicate one way or the other whether they'd still go if one or both kids couldn't cover their own airfare?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Please refer to Shark's earlier post on this very page.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
We will deplete our savings and all our spare cash if we go on this vacation but lets not think, lets just do

Quick, just do!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
please refer to fatkraken's post even more recently pointing out the ambiguity!

e: checked reddit and the op doesn't have any follow up post

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
I know he says that she wouldn't be able to go if she couldn't pay, but I just sincerely doubt the Prague parents would be cool with just the parents showing up when it was clearly intended for the kids to be probably the main focus of the invite, with an added, yeah bring the whole family why not. The fact that the kids didn't even want to go at all, but then "changed" their minds, followed up by the daughter crying when she realized the true amount of money she'd have to spend on a vacation she "wanted" to go on. Sounds like the father knows how brazen it would be to go without the kids, and is essentially forcing them to pay up so he gets his european vacation.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dr Strangepants posted:

Is it unreasonable to ask your kids at 16 to save up for a vacation opportunity?
What the gently caress libertarian horse poo poo is this, of course it's unreasonable. Most kids these days don't have time for a job at all, let alone finding one that would let them save up for a full vacation. They've got enough poo poo to deal with considering what good colleges expect on a transcript nowadays; telling them to work a job on top of needing multiple extracurriculars is just obscene.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Would you be particularly excited to say yes to going on a trip with your family when your parents make sure to tell you there's a price tag attached?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the heat goes wrong posted:

Ah yes, kids from the noted arabian country, Afghanistan.
A country where blond and blue eyed people are so so rare.

Americans believe that every country between Turkey and India is entirely made of sand and contains only Bedouins. hth

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Americans believe that every country between Turkey and India is entirely made of sand and contains only Bedouins. hth

You're giving us too much credit, it's more like everything from Germany to China.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

ad090 posted:

The fact that the kids didn't even want to go at all, but then "changed" their minds

quote:

I researched airfares and asked my two kids if they would be willing to pay $1000 each to cover their airfare. At first, they declined but subsequently agreed.
I don't think that's "didn't want to go at all." I think that's "yeah of course we want to go. What do you mean we have to pay everything we saved up over a summer of work? I can't pay that much. *weeks later* poo poo, they're serious I really want to go though, let me look up airfaire, hey it says 375* (*one way in tiny print) on this website, I guess I'd be willing to pay that"

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Darkhold posted:

My (24f) bf (24m) drives aggressively and won't stop.
Maybe just me but I think he might just be a horrible person for reasons other than his driving.

He probably is.

Also, LOL at the 2017 Civic Couple not having enough "Street Cred." 97% of people don't give a gently caress about "street cred," and if he does, maybe he should get his own lovely Fast and Furious car to total.

I'd say murder, but l think he'll kill himself before she gets the chance.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Lucrece posted:

Reddit - What say ye?

YTA for this alone

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Straight White Shark posted:

You're giving us too much credit, it's more like everything from Germany to China.

Patently false. Germany to Moscow is where the reds live.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

If you can't afford it? Yes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If that family can't squeeze together an extra $300 to cover the daughter's flight, they're going to be in for a serious shock when they arrive in Europe and go out for dinner and it costs $50 per person

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

If that family can't squeeze together an extra $300 to cover the daughter's flight, they're going to be in for a serious shock when they arrive in Europe and go out for dinner and it costs $50 per person

nonsense what you see is actually what you pay. USA food isn't much cheaper due to tip culture

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There's an AITA post from an Asian-American 16-year-old who decided to quit gymnastics via a rampage in which she destroyed all her leotards, medals, and certificates, and then called her gym to say she hated them and wouldn't be back.

But that's not why I've called you here. Check out this comment:

That is so common in Korea, it’s such a different outlook there. Gangnam face is a thing. Eyelid surgery to have a double eyelid, shaving cheekbones and jawlines for a less round face, adding in a nasal bridge for a more “western” nose. It’s huge business. I had lasik done there when I lived there and they had a wall decoration of thousands of shaved bone fragments behind glass. An entire wall of human bone. As a decoration. Ick.

e:

AITA For throwing away my entire lifes worth of gymnastics training that I never wanted?

quote:

My parents have made me do gymnastics since I was three, both were immigrants from China and both are extremely overbearing an stereotypical Asian parents, everything must be perfect. As such, so must I in gymnastics, I've never enjoyed it but my mum used to be a high level gymnast but after being diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease at a relatively young age (17) now lives through me. Today I finally tried to break free from this. Whilst my parents were away I did everything I could think of, I shredded my leotards, destroyed certificates and threw away trophies and medasl, I then called my gym and told them how much I hated them, safe to say I'm not welcome anymore. When my parents came home they were in shock, my mum went silent and won't talk to me, it's been three days and I fell horrible, but I just couldn't continue with something I hated so dearly at this stage in my life (I'm 16). AITA?

OP makes it clear in comments that she tried to tell her parents directly, over and over, and she even asked the gym to ban her because she hated it so much and her parents wouldn't listen.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 2, 2019

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Vacation dad is an rear end in a top hat. Cover your kids airfare on a vacation they were ambivalent about going on in the first place. If you can't afford to cover your minor children on a family trip, you can't afford to take the trip. Save up for another year or something.

I think expecting kids to get a summer job is fine, and telling them have to cover their own spending money would have been OK, but this guy is the one who wants to go to Europe so he should cover transportation. A thousand bucks is a lot for a 16 year old to come up with for airfare unless they are going on their own trip without mom and dad.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
AITA for telling my boyfriend that his racist friends can't come over to my house?

quote:

I (24F) have been dating the same person (25M) for 8.5 years. We started dating in high school and while we do occasionally have verbal arguments, our relationship has generally been happy & stable.

Last night we got into an argument about 2 of his friends (let's call them Jesse & Jared) he has hung out with since he was in junior high. In the last year or so, J & J have become increasingly outspoken about very bigoted beliefs that they hold (statements that are considered hate speech in my country). I have communicated it very clearly for months to my bf that I am very uncomfortable with them coming to my house for parties & get-togethers because of their hateful beliefs that they rant about while drunk. J&J have also insulted me personally (calling me cnt & stupid btch when they were drunk) & later apologized to my bf but not to me. Despite that, my bf defended them saying that even though he strongly disagrees with their beliefs, they are still his friends. I replied that I can't stop him from being friends with J&J but I will ask them to leave if they ever come to my house again. I emphasized that I had no issue with any of his other friends coming over or him going elsewhere to hang out with J&J. Then my bf said I was too difficult to be with & yelled that he was going to pack his stuff & leave (we live together but the house belongs to my family so he is a renter).

For me this is an issue of morality. Even though my bf said he will move out, I refuse to back down from my stance. I can no longer stomach hateful people like J&J in my home and I'm wondering AITA for putting my foot down about not welcoming them into my house, even if it means my long-term bf will break up with me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

ad090 posted:

AITA for telling my boyfriend that his racist friends can't come over to my house?

how many comments are saying YTA because she’s not tolerant of their different beliefs