Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
In case anyone is wondering, no, since some replies kinda seem like as to have that conclusion; I am not asking with any intent to actually do this in the slightest. And I wouldn't even know how to do it. It came up during a lunch conversation at work and none of us were sure. I'm aware of the CFAA but I'm not sure if it applies to passive data collection.

Also I'm purely curious about the case law, not whether it's moral, I assume it's generally not but I'm not a white hat hacker and don't really know what it entails either way except in the broadest sense..

taqueso posted:

I thought we were talking about an open wifi. I reread and yeah that's illegal.

Does the legality change if it is an open wifi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is decrypting incidental internet communications illegal in US law?

If you kick back in a internet cafe and collect a bunch of packets and then later on decrypt some of them without acting maliciously with them is that illegal or am I not understanding how networking works and asking a stupid question.

How would anyone even know you've done it to prosecute you?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Volmarias posted:

How would anyone even know you've done it to prosecute you?

I dunno, but that's also not really the point of the question. I'm not interested in whether such a law is practical, I just curious if it exists. My understanding is if you open a pcap file in wireshark it'll show the payload if it isn't encrypted.

I'm curious to know if there's liability if you tried to crack open said encrypted payload; the origin of it I guess only matters if the legality is in some way contingent on it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
If I recall, there's laws about decrypting transmissions you don't have permission to (mainly for things like pay satellite TV or satellite radio), but they could probably be bludgeoned into here.

Just capturing the transmission is perfectly legal, however, so the open WiFi example is probably kosher.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
The way to look at radio is this way: you can capture all the radio data you want, but you cannot interfere with it and whatever you do record you cannot do anything with except solely for yourself. In theory, this means that there is nothing anyone can do to stop you from trying to decode the radio transmissions let alone record it, but if you start to disseminate the information you've acquired or use it to get leverage then you're running the risk of breaking the law.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

taqueso posted:

I thought you had to circumvent some kind of security measure.
wpa counts

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Redteaming is fun as heck, but implicit in it is that it's approved by someone within the organization.

Lain Iwakura posted:

The way to look at radio is this way: you can capture all the radio data you want, but you cannot interfere with it and whatever you do record you cannot do anything with except solely for yourself. In theory, this means that there is nothing anyone can do to stop you from trying to decode the radio transmissions let alone record it, but if you start to disseminate the information you've acquired or use it to get leverage then you're running the risk of breaking the law.
Yeah, having promiscuous mode enabled on a NIC or monitor mode enabled on a WNIC doesn't automatically get you fined or jailed, it all depends on what you do with it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

taqueso posted:

I thought we were talking about an open wifi. I reread and yeah that's illegal.

I still don't think legally you can snoop on traffic on an open network if you don't have permission

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks Ants posted:

I still don't think legally you can snoop on traffic on an open network if you don't have permission

What does “snoop” mean? Receive? Store in memory? Process statistically? Store durably?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Subjunctive posted:

What does “snoop” mean? Receive? Store in memory? Process statistically? Store durably?

The line is generally that if you have an incidental capture and you learn you have that data you should purge it. Everything beyond that is asking for trouble. Always have permission or do it with your own data/devices.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sickening posted:

Intercepting private traffic to look at it on a network you don’t administrate is definitely breaking some kind of law.

Thanks Ants posted:

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Always have permission or do it with your own data/devices.

True, but I don't think just having rights to the local network is a legal panacea either.

If I open PD's Coffee Shop and provide free wi-fi to my customers, am I in the clear legally if I capture and decrypt all traffic going by? It's my network, after all.

Or (since it turns out it's actually pretty hard to decrypt traffic like that), make it PD's Internet Cafe, where I also provide the workstations. That way I can run an internal CA, push out my own root cert, and extremely effectively MITM every bit of everyone's communications. Is it legally fine for me to do this? Can I, for my own amusement, peruse the transaction history that was displayed to you when you logged into your bank account? What about if I publish it? Or publish everything I've captured, credentials, passwords and all?

At some point in this scenario (and I freely admit I'm not sure exactly where), it must have started running afoul of the law, and I don't get a free pass just because I'm the legal admin of the local network.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Powered Descent posted:

Or (since it turns out it's actually pretty hard to decrypt traffic like that), make it PD's Internet Cafe, where I also provide the workstations. That way I can run an internal CA, push out my own root cert, and extremely effectively MITM every bit of everyone's communications. Is it legally fine for me to do this? Can I, for my own amusement, peruse the transaction history that was displayed to you when you logged into your bank account? What about if I publish it? Or publish everything I've captured, credentials, passwords and all?

Did you have the customer sign something before they used your service which included telling them this would happen?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Ranter posted:

Did you have the customer sign something before they used your service which included telling them this would happen?

Don't you do that by requiring them to check the "I agree with bla bla bla" checkbox when they sign in? And in that "bla bla bla" you simply state that you now own them, and they owe you their first born? True, it may or may not hold up in court, but it's easy to make customers sign anything.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

D. Ebdrup posted:

Redteaming is fun as heck, but implicit in it is that it's approved by someone within the organization.

Yeah, I'm a red-team guy, and its always good to get your engagement scope approved beforehand, even if its an inhouse target.

Volguus posted:

Don't you do that by requiring them to check the "I agree with bla bla bla" checkbox when they sign in? And in that "bla bla bla" you simply state that you now own them, and they owe you their first born? True, it may or may not hold up in court, but it's easy to make customers sign anything.

We have a similar warning, that is basically "If you approve us to audit a production system, it may result in it being taken offline for undetermined periods"

I've had to reject Pen Tests in the past for basically telling us that they wanted us to Pen Test, but we couldn't actually do any social or technical pen testing.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 2, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I've had to reject Pen Tests in the past for basically telling us that they wanted us to Pen Test, but we couldn't actually do any social or technical pen testing.
Sounds like they wanted to check a box on some paper handed down from the PR department, rather than try and not be as insecure as possible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

D. Ebdrup posted:

Sounds like they wanted to check a box on some paper handed down from the PR department, rather than try and not be as insecure as possible.

Pretty much, and I know some guys who will do just that, because it largely doesn't come back on the Audit firm.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Pretty much, and I know some guys who will do just that, because it largely doesn't come back on the Audit firm.
Just one more reason for the pile as to why IT should have liability insurance like any critical infrastructure employment.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

D. Ebdrup posted:

Just one more reason for the pile as to why IT should have liability insurance like any critical infrastructure employment.

Yup. And the trick is that most insurance companies won't just accept check box audits as collateral, they want full reports proving you are doing your due diligence with your audits.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
When thinking about infosec and the law, remember that people have been prosecuted for downloading data that was available on a zero-security webserver which they didn't have permission to download.

The legal world is not like the technical world. Judges and lawyers are comfortable with shades of grey and interpreting the letter of the law. You absolutely could get in legal trouble for snooping on open wifi, while you never would from listening to someone talk on CB radio despite the fact that these are technically both unencrypted radio traffic. Any reasonable person who uses a CB radio knows they're not private. Most people think wifi is.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Gaohmee/status/1157505368383082498

ESA apparently leaks personal information of more than 2,000 E3 attendees

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Klyith posted:

When thinking about infosec and the law, remember that people have been prosecuted for downloading data that was available on a zero-security webserver which they didn't have permission to download.

The legal world is not like the technical world. Judges and lawyers are comfortable with shades of grey and interpreting the letter of the law. You absolutely could get in legal trouble for snooping on open wifi, while you never would from listening to someone talk on CB radio despite the fact that these are technically both unencrypted radio traffic. Any reasonable person who uses a CB radio knows they're not private. Most people think wifi is.

Yup. Most hacking, even ethical hacking, is a very grey area legally.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Guess we're going to find out how grey:

https://twitter.com/NSQE/status/1157440172759216128

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

But now they have to deal with Microsoft lawyers as github is now by m dollar sign.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Raenir Salazar posted:

decrypt some of them without acting maliciously

this bit is the inconsistency

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/whid_injector/status/1157976716196941824?s=21

This is how you get on a list somewhere.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Klyith posted:

For a great example, remember that Google lost their case about their Street View cars capturing WiFi signals. Not hacking networks, just capturing traffic that has been broadcast openly on public radio spectrum for anyone to see.

If an org with an army of lawyers like Google lost what should have been an open and shut case from a technical perspective, that should tell you how fucktarded the courts are on this topic.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wolrah posted:

For a great example, remember that Google lost their case about their Street View cars capturing WiFi signals. Not hacking networks, just capturing traffic that has been broadcast openly on public radio spectrum for anyone to see.

If an org with an army of lawyers like Google lost what should have been an open and shut case from a technical perspective, that should tell you how fucktarded the courts are on this topic.

I'd have to look it up, but wasn't the issue more that they archived all the traffic they captured?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wolrah posted:

Jurisdiction is very relevant here.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

I'd have to look it up, but wasn't the issue more that they archived all the traffic they captured?
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2012/apr/30/google-street-view-breach-fcc

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Indeed.

quote:

The company admitted publicly in May 2010 that it had collected the data, which the FCC said was not a breach of US laws.

The fine was for obstructing the investigation, not the collection, and it was trivial.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

The fine was for obstructing the investigation and it was trivial.

Ah yes, the FCC, bastion of privacy protection hardasses :D

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Subjunctive posted:

Indeed.

The fine was for obstructing the investigation, not the collection, and it was trivial.

Imagine fining google 25k.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Proteus Jones posted:

Why should that matter though? There's nothing wrong with archiving and even distributing recordings from other radio bands. Hell, there are entire major sites devoted to capturing and archiving as many open-airwave conversations as they can. LiveATC, Broadcastify, etc. Sometimes these (especially Broadcastify's police and EMS feeds) have personal information in 'em. Names, addresses, phone/social security/license numbers, healthcare/criminal details, etc.

Changing frequency over to the analog cordless/cellular or WiFi bands shouldn't change anything. Obviously it does legally in some places, but that was the point of the discussion. I was replying to Klyith's post to support it with what I thought was a good example. I apparently wasn't paying enough attention when that fine came down, I didn't realize it was for not cooperating with the investigation, apparently the law in that case went the right way.

Subjunctive posted:

Jurisdiction is very relevant here.
Yes of course, my perspective is a US-centric one. There are many countries where even owning a scanner is illegal and many more where recording the open airwaves is. It's loving stupid, but it's true. Especially now in the era of the RTL-SDR allowing anyone with $25 to slurp up over 1MHz of radio spectrum in its entirety, not to even get in to how much better it gets if you can jump up a price bracket.

I'd be interested to see the affects on wardriver stats when this case hit the news too, how much of an impact did it have on the number of open vs. encrypted APs out there...

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
It's all radio waves, but it's not ridiculous to expect that point-to-point communications are going to stay that way. That's far more of an important factor than the exact frequencies used.

It's also reasonable to expect that a very short range signal like wifi isn't being captured.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
All of this is more an argument about the legal system being dumb tbh

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dylan16807 posted:

It's all radio waves, but it's not ridiculous to expect that point-to-point communications are going to stay that way. That's far more of an important factor than the exact frequencies used.

It's also reasonable to expect that a very short range signal like wifi isn't being captured.

Given that virtually all urban dwellers can see someone else’s wifi from wherever they are, I think it might be hard to claim an expectation that the range of wifi will protect it. Also, modern OSes often warn that open networks are insecure.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Security alert: Your WiFi is currently broadcasting an ssid. With this ssid, someone can immediately begin attacking your WiFi!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Not My Wi-Fi!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dylan16807 posted:

Actual point-to-point radio links, as in heavily directional antennas at both ends, are a different matter of course. While still obviously not entirely eavesdropping-proof it's at least more reasonable to expect some amount of privacy because of the limited area in which your antenna would have to be to catch the signal. For the most part someone receiving it would be doing so intentionally, where omnidirectional radio signals like normal home WiFi just come wandering through your walls.

quote:

Subjunctive nailed this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Anyone out in Vegas for hacker summer camp this week?