Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The AFC South Division Champion of 2019 will be...
This poll is closed.
Houtson 29 31.18%
Indianapolis 25 26.88%
Jacksonville 22 23.66%
Tennessee 17 18.28%
Total: 93 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Shadow225 posted:

afc championship game finalists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
When every AFCS QB goes down for the season, including Tannehill, Logan Woodside will triumph over the masses.

8-8 AFC South champs.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

TSBX posted:

I submit to you a new idea for this thread going forward. The flag shall be in the team colors of the division winner. What do you guys think?

what the gently caress is this

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

what the gently caress is this

it's a joke that fell flat . . . i think

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Play posted:

it's a joke that fell flat . . . i think

Fits our division then.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I wonder what it would take for the division to rightfully acknowledged as good by the masses

Play
Apr 25, 2006

lol love the new thread title

Metapod posted:

I wonder what it would take for the division to rightfully acknowledged as good by the masses

I think if they weren't such paper tigers in the playoffs, constantly getting snuffed out brutally by the Patriots, that would probably do it. The Jaguars beating the Steelers and giving the Pats a run for their money was probably the biggest AFC South playoff result of the last ten years

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
the last AFC South team with a playoff win is the *checks notes* Tennessee Titans!?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Demon Of The Fall posted:

the last AFC South team with a playoff win is the *checks notes* Tennessee Titans!?

Colts beat Houston last year.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lol the only paper tiger from the afcs were those peyton colts after Dungy

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Metapod posted:

Let's take a look at the recent division winners. 2018, Houston loses in the wild card round (to the Colts, but still). 2017 the Jags got all the way to the Championship game and beat a good Steelers team on the way and gave the Pats a run for their money, which is why I said that was the biggest success. 2016 the Texans beat a weak Raiders team before getting smashed by the Pats. 2015 the Texans lost in the wild card round with a 30 - 0 score. 2014 and 2013 the Colts won three playoff games but got majorly shithoused by the Pats both times. 2011 and 2012 the Texans won a single wild card game before getting (you guessed it) smashed by the Pats in one instance and beaten by the Ravens in the other. 2010 the Colts didn't win a single playoff game.

I'm gonna stop there because 2009 damages my argument and is ancient history anyways, but the point is that once the AFC South gets some real contenders in there instead of playoff also-rans, I think there will be more appreciation. There's a bit of a reputation of the division having a couple OKAY teams but no great ones.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I like how the arguement is beat the Pats when like 3 teams in the whole AFC can do that

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Metapod posted:

I like how the arguement is beat the Pats when like 3 teams in the whole AFC can do that

:shrug: i guess that's what it takes to be a good division, sorry

not that they haven't lost to plenty of other teams besides the pats. like I said, you need great teams not good ones and then the division will get some respect

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lol going by that logic the afcw is poo poo and debatably so is the afcn now

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Metapod posted:

sounds about right i suppose

except the Broncos won a Super Bowl as recently as 2016. But I'd agree that the AFC North is similar in that recently it's been good teams rather than great ones, although I would think teams would rather face the Titans or the Texans in the playoffs than the Steelers

anyways, ive spent enough time answering a question you didn't even want answered in the first place, lol. Send some genuinely good teams to the playoffs and we'll talk about upgrading the AFC South to non-red-headed stepchild status

Nov 6, 2002

Metapod posted:

The Broncos won a Super Bowl going thru the Patriots three years ago.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Play posted:

sounds about right i suppose

except the Broncos won a Super Bowl as recently as 2016. But I'd agree that the AFC North is similar in that recently it's been good teams rather than great ones, although I would think teams would rather face the Titans or the Texans in the playoffs than the Steelers

I think that's because coaching matters in the playoffs. I'd much rather play against Vrabel or BoB than Tomlin. If your teams are fairly equal talent wise, coaching can flip the games, and I don't feel like the coaching is very elite in the AFCS. I'd like to think Reich can get there, but I'll need to see if for a couple more seasons to know.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The Broncos won a Super Bowl going thru the Patriots three years ago.

three years is a long time in the nfl theres like 5 players left from that team so its pretty irrelevant now

my point is using can you beat the pats in the playoffs as the metric for is your division good is absolutely stupid considering the last 3 super bowl the pats have been in

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

Metapod posted:

There were only two Peyton years after Dungy and one of them they went 14-2, and benched their starters the last two games after winning 14 straight, then went to the super bowl (where they got crushed)...

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

EvilBeard posted:

I think that's because coaching matters in the playoffs. I'd much rather play against Vrabel or BoB than Tomlin. If your teams are fairly equal talent wise, coaching can flip the games, and I don't feel like the coaching is very elite in the AFCS. I'd like to think Reich can get there, but I'll need to see if for a couple more seasons to know.

*watches the patriots make changes in the middle of a losing game and come back to convincingly destroy the Texans who keep trying the same four plays*

What is this guy talking about?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Jivesauce posted:

There were only two Peyton years after Dungy and one of them they went 14-2, and benched their starters the last two games after winning 14 straight, then went to the super bowl (where they got crushed)...

huh for some reason in my mind dungy retired after winning the super bowl

Nov 6, 2002

He should have.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Looking into it a bit further, every team in the AFC South is in the bottom half of the league in terms of playoff win percentage. Except, somehow, for the Jaguars who are at .500 with 7 wins and 7 losses

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Beat the team that has been to half the superbowls in the last 20 years, why didn't I think of that

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Intruder posted:

Beat the team that has been to half the superbowls in the last 20 years, why didn't I think of that

advancing into the playoffs and beating good teams is generally how you get to be considered a good team, yes. i suppose i could just hand out paper medals that have "good team" scrawled on them in crayon if you prefer

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
me: i wonder what the division has to do be consider good by the masses

a moron: yOu AlL hAvE tO bEaT tHe PaTs In ThE pLaYoFfS

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Metapod posted:

me: i wonder what the division has to do be consider good by the masses

a moron: yOu AlL hAvE tO bEaT tHe PaTs In ThE pLaYoFfS

lol

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I think beating the pats in the playoffs would be a pretty good way to make everyone accept that you’re good.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I think that would actually make you "the best"

Was KC last year not a good team?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Eltoasto posted:

I think that would actually make you "the best"

Was KC last year not a good team?

Lost to the Pats. loving scrub tier.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
KC and Mahomes are gonna take a big step back and it’s gonna be funny as hell

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Demon Of The Fall posted:

KC and Mahomes are gonna take a big step back and it’s gonna be funny as hell

Nah mahomes is legit and going to be a problem for a long time

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Mahomes is legit but the team itself lost a lot of talent

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

Mahomes is legit but the team itself lost a lot of talent

Plus, how long do you think Tyreke Hill can go without assaulting a woman?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

As if the Texans draft wasn't disastrous enough, their rookie CB Lonnie Johnson is an enormous dickhead who lit up a couple of Packers players in non-contact practice drills then flexed about it

Cool, cool

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lmao what

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Metapod posted:

Lmao what

Knocked the dude's helmet off resulting in him having to go for a concussion test. Again, this was a non-tackling drill

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Spectacular

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Intruder posted:

As if the Texans draft wasn't disastrous enough, their rookie CB Lonnie Johnson is an enormous dickhead who lit up a couple of Packers players in non-contact practice drills then flexed about it

Cool, cool

This will end well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

There's something about Texans cornerbacks and safeties, I swear. Go back and watch a few games from the season, those dudes are constantly laying the wood. It's like they can't cover but what they can do is arrive moments after the catch to just wallop a guy.