Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So, I'm missing a single ship stand for my Armada collection...a medium one, from the Imperial Light Cruiser. Are there any people out there making decent stand-ins for the ship stands/bases themselves? I didn't see any, and I've contacted FFG Customer Service to see if they would sell me one...but if there's an easier/quicker way than waiting for them to respond, I'm all ears. I don't even really need it, I just put all of my ships/squadrons on display on some shelves and don't want to leave it out :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It'll be a few weeks but I 100% assure you FF will just send you one for free.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ShineDog posted:

It'll be a few weeks but I 100% assure you FF will just send you one for free.

Sounds good then. Just in time for the Super Star Destroyer to invade the top shelf :suicide:

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
So it looks like Armada's getting a wave of ST ships in the near future, I'm guessing in time for the next movie?

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 1, 2019

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Well I like the designs of those quite a bit whatever they are from.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm pretty sure those are both from The Last Jedi?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The New Republic ship hasn't appeared on film, but was mentioned in Battlefront 2 and the Aftermath books.

The Onager Class hasn't been on film either, and was only briefly mentioned in a reference book as a Seige Breaker, with theoretical mini death star tech. Who knows what it actually has.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Going into leak territory here but as I understand it its got something like the seige gun from TLJ but bigger between the prongs

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Carteret posted:

The New Republic ship hasn't appeared on film, but was mentioned in Battlefront 2 and the Aftermath books.
Apparently they are "condensed" Star Destroyers that were still in construction at the end of the Battle of Endor that were redesigned mid-build. Which is... yeah, sure.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Carteret posted:

The Onager Class hasn't been on film either, and was only briefly mentioned in a reference book as a Seige Breaker, with theoretical mini death star tech. Who knows what it actually has.

Apparently the Onager is mentioned in that reference book as being an Imperial, not a First Order, ship, but word is that FFG is angling to be able to use these to cobble together First Order and New Republic factions for Armada, so who knows...

Also, apparently spoilers for TROS indicate that a major plot point is the return from the Outer Reaches or whatever it's called of the Imperial remnant sent there by Palpatine. Only now it's become a Sith fleet with red ships and troopers, including modified Star Destroyers that include mini Death Star lasers inspired by this TFA concept art:

So even more Death Stars. Thanks JJ!!! :barf:

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 1, 2019

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

It’s interesting that the rebels are getting yet another large base ship. At some point you would figure they would get another medium to supplement the Assault Frigate. Something a little more specialized that might see use.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The switchover from EU to new canon seems to have sort of left FFG struggling in places like that. There really aren't all that many ships of the required size in Star Wars.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The games kind of exist in a weird place, canon-wise. It seems like FFG is free to mine the old EU, or outright create a ship here and there (Raiders, anyone?). X-Wing had the same problem (to a greater degree) of straddling the Disney buyout, but I think Armada was in development when that happened. That could also be why they’re leaning into Clone Wars era ships, and they haven’t even touched the New Republic/Resistance/First Order era yet, either. I don’t think the FO ships would have to be that much bigger than their imperial counterparts, just noticeably bigger (that sliding scale is getting abused at this point, though).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Raider is interesting in that it's an old EU ship that FFG created, which was then part of the EU to draw upon when EA wanted a small Imperial ship to use as a base for Battlefront II, so it made its way back into canon, but at a "higher" level due to the new structure. TBH I'm not sure what the distinction in size between it and the Arquitens is because the miniatures are so similar but they're totally differently styled. It is really cool to have multiple small ships that aren't Star Destroyers floating around though, even if they have ignored that the Dreadnought is canon again for some reason, even though it's hypothetically usable by the Rebellion too.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

At one point I wanted to run an entire small-ship imperial list. It’s me, I’m the guy with 2 raiders and 2 arquitens :v:

Using all 4 of those and the Quasar carrier was my ultimate goal, but I never got around to it. My other gimmick list (3x nebulon b, 2x GR-75 flotillas, 10 squadrons) was too much fun for me to put down for long enough :getin:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Official announcement: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/...pl1xSbDymvL-GrI

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I think especially for Armada they need the freedom to just make up ships. There's always an abundance of new fighters but the screen stuff is slow to reveal new ships. Honestly probably the biggest problem around FFG's neck is how the IP is just two sides and not that deep if you go by what's on screen.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Eimi posted:

I think especially for Armada they need the freedom to just make up ships. There's always an abundance of new fighters but the screen stuff is slow to reveal new ships. Honestly probably the biggest problem around FFG's neck is how the IP is just two sides and not that deep if you go by what's on screen.

The rebels have quite a few if you squint real hard at the background of ESB and ROTJ. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5b0cxF8HOE

But ultimately, I think the prequels will be Armada's strength. It's more about big fleet battles anyway.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The new Imperial Commander appears quite strong for only 20 points. Paraphrased: If a friendly ship makes an attack that is obstructed by a ship or obstacle, instead of removing a die, add a red die.

Makes the obstacles a much more important part of the game for that commander.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Madurai posted:

The rebels have quite a few if you squint real hard at the background of ESB and ROTJ. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5b0cxF8HOE

But ultimately, I think the prequels will be Armada's strength. It's more about big fleet battles anyway.
I dunno if Armada is small scale enough to do the prequels really. They'd want to be throwing around Venators and Providences on small bases at the largest with Arquitens and Peltas being the freighter-sized squadrons, and squadrons being a different type of gunfire.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Malevolence was only about 5km long, and I think that was the biggest separatist ship, outside of Lucrehulks? That’s only a bit bigger than the First Order Star destroyers (3km length), and bigger than any Mon Cal cruiser currently in the game. If the Venators get a large base, I’ll be surprised...they’re closer to a medium base size, in my mind.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's not the scale vs other Armada ships I mean, it's the fact that even the smallest fleet engagements on-screen are at least a squadron of three Venators vs 5+ varied CIS ships of some form. I know the Battle of Coruscant is non-representative, but in a quick skim there I counted twenty five Venators before the camera angles made it difficult to keep track of which squadron was which. Their fighter capacities are pretty huge compared to the Rebellion era stuff too, with multiple hundreds of ships per bay.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I take it Imperial Assault is dead or on life support? What are the chances there'll be more content for the app? My local game store still has Heart of the Empire, but we haven't been playing the game very frequently lately, so I don't know if it's worth it.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Judging by what they did with Descent, I bet they'll keep supporting it for a while. Descent was dead as poo poo when the app came out and we got 3 campaigns and change. IA is still getting content, and they use their app stuff to drive purchases of expansions that undersold.

Frustratingly, they are usually completely radio silent as to what their app plans are. Descent would go six months without news and then a campaign would drop from the sky with no fanfare. So expect a lot of annoyance.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

don’t worry, I’m sure they’ll shovel out impass 2.0 soon enough at a slightly different scale and ruleset to encourage you to rebuy it all

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Speaking of Imperial Assault...if anyone wants the core box, I’ve got one that I’ll probably never play, so it’s up for grabs. I’ll do my best to make sure all components are there, but I can’t promise that without looking through it. I’ll check it if someone wants the box, though...it just takes up space in my apartment. Ditto for the XCOM game, I just never got into it and don’t want it to collect dust at my place.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

Are the West End games and earlier EU creations still off the table? Seems like that still hasn't been mined completely.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Failson posted:

Are the West End games and earlier EU creations still off the table? Seems like that still hasn't been mined completely.

I thought the Interdictor was a WEG creation?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

illectro posted:

I thought the Interdictor was a WEG creation?

It's in Rebels and the Armada one is based off it, not the Vindicator version.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

I dunno if Armada is small scale enough to do the prequels really. They'd want to be throwing around Venators and Providences on small bases at the largest with Arquitens and Peltas being the freighter-sized squadrons, and squadrons being a different type of gunfire.

A scale change is a tempting idea, certainly, but I don't see them giving up the existing Arquitens mold, nor the ability to re-sell the Venator in Imperial colors.

The only big-ship actions of any significance we saw in the OT were Scarif and Endor, and they're too big to do in Armada already. (I mean, in terms of standard match sizes. Scarif in particular could probably be wrangled if you had a good long time to play it out.)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

3 ISDs fit in a standard list with Vader (barely), but the sheer number of TIE fighters alone would be too much...and that's before getting into the rebel side of it. I think someone did the math on the FFG forums and it came out to like ~1000pts for the rebels, vs ~400 for the Empire (before the Death Star shows up, at least).

Having said that, I've used an ISD with Vader as admiral and Gunnery Teams on board, and he sawed straight through a full rebel fleet :v: I lined him up perfectly completely by accident and that ISD started deleting 2 ships per turn with the front arc, until there was nothing left :twisted:

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

A link to the Armada GenCon winner's list if anyone is interested.

http://www.steelstrategy.com/2019/08/the-ballad-of-garm.html?m=1#more

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

This link has good pictures of every card in the new Armada Campaign box.

https://cannotgetyourshipout.blogsp...o_uhefpMVI8&m=1

Some nifty ship titles in there that seem really useful. One lets a VSD turn 2 clicks at speed one and add engine techs. Or a nebB with gunnery teams and a redirect added.

skateboardjesus
Oct 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde

I really like Rogue One and was patiently awaiting an Imperial assault expansion related to it but then Legion happened and IA appears to be at the very least on a physical product hiatus. I wanted to play all three games IA, XWing and Armada in a pseudo recreation of the movie, but I'm not investing in Legion just to get a couple of the character models when I would just have to mock up cards for them anyway to play in my nearly complete collection of IA.

Also, finding a close aerial shot with a top-down perspective of the base on Scarif has not been easy for the X-wing section of the plan but I think it was Mel Miniatures that posted this image for the Armada level space map so I had it printed for about $45 with coupons.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Didn't Imperial Assault have a single-player (or co-op?) mode that one could play, via a helper app or something? I never played but I've always kinda wanted to, but playing with my husband is a complete no-go if it's 1v1 competitive.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Drone posted:

Didn't Imperial Assault have a single-player (or co-op?) mode that one could play, via a helper app or something? I never played but I've always kinda wanted to, but playing with my husband is a complete no-go if it's 1v1 competitive.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they released an app for it towards the end of its life.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yup, called Legends of the Alliance.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

drat that's a nice looking mat!

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Drone posted:

Yeah, I've played it, it's fun. The app is free, you tell it what IA products you have, and that unlocks more things. There's only one campaign if you only have the base game, but still a fair bit of gameplay, and it tells you what you need to unlock the other ones if you decide you enjoy it enough you want to do it.

It works single player or co-op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Failson posted:

Roark Garnet was the sample character in the 1st ed RPG book, which I found amusing.

Madurai posted:

A scale change is a tempting idea, certainly, but I don't see them giving up the existing Arquitens mold, nor the ability to re-sell the Venator in Imperial colors.

The only big-ship actions of any significance we saw in the OT were Scarif and Endor, and they're too big to do in Armada already. (I mean, in terms of standard match sizes. Scarif in particular could probably be wrangled if you had a good long time to play it out.)
Yeah, when I saw a "fleet scale" game I was thinking Endor rather than Tatooine times two. I've been ruined by my experience of Battlefleet Gothic I suppose :shrug:

This shot is great. Super well done.