Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Photex posted:

all my vinyl is being plagued by excessive static, any recommendations for sleeves or a way to prevent so much static? It's ruining my first playthrough of KMFDM - Angst D:

A carbon fiber record brush works for this while also being a brush you can use to remove the dust. It's an especially good option if you can't afford a fancypants zero stat gun.

pwn posted:

I don’t understand the polylined sleeves thing. I have plenty of records kept in them that are static-laden.

Mobile Fidelity sleeves are much better with this than any other poly sleeve I've come across. It can still happen with them, but it will be much less often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It could also be your room. My old studio apartment that had one window and little airflow, I could barely get a new record out of the paper but in my new place I've never had the issue. Pretty sure it has something to do with humidity but looking deeper into that gets you into insane record guy internet where they talk about perfect humidity percentages for their record rooms.

Anyway, all I'm saying is sometimes you can do everything "right" and just have the wrong environment so don't go too nuts.

CPL593H posted:

Mobile Fidelity sleeves are much better with this than any other poly sleeve I've come across. It can still happen with them, but it will be much less often.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Tangentially related and only relevant to Chicago people, but MoFi sells their inners/outers for half price if you catch them at a record fair. I think they might do the same at their store in Andersonville.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I used my brush again today during my 2nd listen and it was definitely a lot better after just sitting out on the platter over night, I also cleaned my lovely AT60's stylus so maybe it was just a combination...almost time to upgrade this turntable though.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
American Football LP 1 is super cheap on Amazon if anyone cares

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah $12 is decent. Bought it for $15 recently, locally.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Amazon is loving horrible at packing records

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Amazon is loving horrible at packing records

This seems to be heavily dependent on where the record is being shipped from, or your local Amazon distributor. All of my records from Amazon have been secured inside a record mailer and sometimes that record mailer is even put in another box. Don't want to jinx myself but I know others that have the same experience as me, while others have had consistently bad service.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MrSargent posted:

This seems to be heavily dependent on where the record is being shipped from, or your local Amazon distributor. All of my records from Amazon have been secured inside a record mailer and sometimes that record mailer is even put in another box. Don't want to jinx myself but I know others that have the same experience as me, while others have had consistently bad service.

I've had Amazon records packed nicely and terribly, so, yeah, it's hard to say.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

New Negativland album ahead!

quote:

The first of two interconnected double albums, True False musically tackles concerns that will be familiar to any surviving fans of the band: our nervous systems, our realities, and the evolving forms of media that inevitably insert themselves between the two. A series of seemingly random topics are slowly woven together: shootings, bees, the right's rules for radicals, climate control, dogs pretending to be children, the oil we eat, and the right of every American to believe whatever they want to believe -- your brain's ear lets nothing remain entirely random. It’s not the content, it's the edit that shows us what we all know to be true, and it's the things that one is most tempted to enjoy as harmless entertainment that often turn out to be living animals. Splicing together Occupy mic checks with US militia rallies, FOX news hosts with ecoterrorists, and your own sanity with the home viewing habits of Negativland's lead vocalist, the Weatherman, when you put the word True next to the word False, a broader reality reveals itself.

Each True False vinyl pre-order comes with a limited edition 8.5” x11” letterpress print, a bumper sticker, a bonus mp3, and a hand printed “Certificate of Thanks” signed by Negativland’s David “The Weatherman” Wills.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I’ve always had records packed well from Amazon.

But I can’t order an Amazon item without seeing the exploited warehouse picker literally running to grab it and still being admonished for not meeting their numbers goal, dying from heat stroke in unconditioned warehouses, young strong people being physically broken, in a job which could easily be Not A Horror Show but for Jeff Bezos’s greed and cruelty. So pay $15 to a private Discogs seller for your American Football record imo.

Edit: Negativland is like if an issue of Adbusters was made into a record. I love it.

pwn fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 2, 2019

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

pwn posted:

But I can’t order an Amazon item without seeing the exploited warehouse picker literally running to grab it and still being admonished for not meeting their numbers goal, dying from heat stroke in unconditioned warehouses, young strong people being physically broken, in a job which could easily be Not A Horror Show but for Jeff Bezos’s greed and cruelty. So pay $15 to a private Discogs seller for your American Football record imo.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

That’s a very 90s album cover.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

pwn posted:

Edit:
Negativland is like if an issue of Adbusters was made into a record. I love it.

Dispepsi is incredible

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

pwn posted:

Discogs seller probably bought it off Amazon originally

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Joyful Noise is reissuing El Ten Eleven's first five albums as a box set in September along with a 15th anniversary edition of the self-titled available separately. I just did the self-titled, but all of their albums are pretty expensive second hand. Happy to get another option.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone have strong feelings one way or another between the Ikea Kallax and the Target and Walmart equivalents?

Ikea want $40 to ship where I think Walmart is free and I can pick up easily enough from Target. Ikea is a doable drive but way further out.

Looking for a 2x4 in black if that makes any difference.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Check amazon, my brother just snagged a Kallax last week for $30 shipped.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Check measurements on them first, I know some of the Walmart ones don't have a big enough shelf opening to hold LPs.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does anyone have strong feelings one way or another between the Ikea Kallax and the Target and Walmart equivalents?

Ikea want $40 to ship where I think Walmart is free and I can pick up easily enough from Target. Ikea is a doable drive but way further out.

Looking for a 2x4 in black if that makes any difference.

I posted about the Walmart one a while back:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417644&pagenumber=523&perpage=40#post488525617

I gave it a good slap in the store and the quality seemed on par with my Kallax units. These were their Better Homes and Gardens series. I'd say if it saves you any significant amount of money, they're worth getting over Ikea.

I got two of the 2x2 Kallax shipped from Ikea for $50 total on black friday a few years ago. I don't know if they've repeated that deal in recent years though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks all, didn’t know Amazon carries the Kallax stuff and glad to hear the Walmart ones (yeah those are the ones I’m looking at) match the quality and hit the right dimensions.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
For lack of a better place to ask this, is there any hope for a CD thread? I know the last one petered out relatively quickly, but dammit they're in the sweet spot of being a format just old enough that no cares anymore and they're being dumped cheap everywhere. Plus, I've had a relatively good run of finding decent stuff in the thrift store and, well, there's not really a thread for showing it off like the pick ups in here.

Also thank you vinyl thread for alerting me to the fact that Plantasia got an official re-release. Ordered a CD copy for my filthy plebeian self post haste.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'm an avid thrifter as well and would have a lot of content to show off in a CD thread

You ever come across West Germany or Japan Target CDs (or collect them)?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
https://vault.thirdmanstore.com/news/introducing-vault-package-42-the-white-stripes-xx vault package 42 looking good. This will be my fist sub since the Sleep one.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

https://vault.thirdmanstore.com/news/introducing-vault-package-42-the-white-stripes-xx vault package 42 looking good. This will be my fist sub since the Sleep one.

It's good to see they're putting out actual vault material instead of "Here's the new album by one of our bands but it's purple or some poo poo". It was hinted at that they were cooking up something for the 20th anniversary of the White Stripes. I guess I'll be going back for this one.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Yeah the new album vault packages are especially bad because they're like "and here's a single...of two songs that are on the album...or two lovely demos of songs that are also on the album"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah the new album vault packages are especially bad because they're like "and here's a single...of two songs that are on the album...or two lovely demos of songs that are also on the album"

It's a shame because those things use to be some real bang for your buck most of the time and the material itself was great, but the last few years have been mostly underwhelming. I remember at the beginning the plan was that ever package would come with a t-shirt and they ended up only doing that three times. I'd like to see that again, but my guess is that the cost of producing them and the work involved is probably too much. I will say this, however. The live album of the last White Stripes show they put out is one of my favorite records in my collection. I wonder if they knew that was going to be their last show because they were on fire.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

There's a middle ground between having a shirt in each package and those low effort ones though. And I know I'm preaching to the choir, but here are the 3 vault packages I've kept (I got and sold the Boarding House Reach one because it's the most mailed in thing possible, and the record isn't even good):

-Icky Thump X. A book, a 2LP version of the album, a B-sides LP, *and* a demos LP? loving owns.
-White Stripes Live in Detroit: 3 live albums and recreated posters for those shows? Owns.
-Sleep Live at Third Man Records: 4LP live album hell yeah

I thought about Trout Mask Replica but at the end of the day it's just the standard release in a fancy package with a bunch of silly knicknacks. For $60, I want there to be unique content on the records; these 3 and package 42 definitely do.

Is it weird that the only White Stripes I actually own is vault packages?

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 7, 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

There's a middle ground between having a shirt in each package and those low effort ones though. And I know I'm preaching to the choir, but here are the 3 vault packages I've kept (I got and sold the Boarding House Reach one because it's the most mailed in thing possible, and the record isn't even good):

-Icky Thump X. A book, a 2LP version of the album, a B-sides LP, *and* a demos LP? loving owns.
-White Stripes Live in Detroit: 3 live albums and recreated posters for those shows? Owns.
-Sleep Live at Third Man Records: 4LP live album hell yeah

I thought about Trout Mask Replica but at the end of the day it's just the standard release in a fancy package with a bunch of silly knicknacks. For $60, I want there to be unique content on the records; these 3 and package 42 definitely do.

Is it weird that the only White Stripes I actually own is vault packages?

The only lame White Stripes package I remember is the Elephant singles one. The rest are always cool. That one that was three or four discs of late 90s Detriot rock shows was really cool and one of the best they've done. It's not that crazy to only have WS vault stuff anyway because most of them are live albums and their live albums rule and often have versions of the songs thta are better than the studio albums. They're also a pretty good collection of what they did over thier entire career. I like the Dead Weather Sea of Cowards live disc better than the studio album. When they actually give a poo poo they put out really good stuff, the problem is that this seems to happen much less often these days. I'm guessing that maybe there isn't much left in that Vault after ten years of doing this. The things I keep hoping they'll do is the Upholsterers EP and a DVD with all the appearences of the White Stripes on Late Night with Conan O'brien. The latter will almost certainly never happen because there's probably so many rights issues involved. It's pretty surprising that Third Man has never reissued the Upholsterers EP in any fashion.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Boinks posted:

I'm an avid thrifter as well and would have a lot of content to show off in a CD thread

You ever come across West Germany or Japan Target CDs (or collect them)?

It shows how much of a noob I am because I had to look up what a target CD is and I don't recall ever having seen a disc with that pattern. Got plenty of late 80s discs, and some even made by WEA, but none of them qualify. Defintely something new to look for at the store though. Lately I've been noticing that there are a lot more desirable artists in the CD section so it feels like the time is right to get into collecting, especially on the cheap at $2 each.

Perhaps a CD thread might work this time, but what would you put in the OP? Besides covering the myriad of technology that you can play a disc on, but I dont even know what the ideal CD set up is other than a sneaking suspicion that sound quality depends more on your speakers than your actual player.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Turbinosamente posted:

Perhaps a CD thread might work this time, but what would you put in the OP? Besides covering the myriad of technology that you can play a disc on, but I dont even know what the ideal CD set up is other than a sneaking suspicion that sound quality depends more on your speakers than your actual player.
I think you hit on a stumbling block for CDs making a vinyl-style resurgence: A CD player is a CD player. A CD will sound the same played on a $50 (in 1996 dollars) machine as it would on a $5,000 player. There’s limited potential market to sell The Best Laser Eye to rich dads

Nail Rat posted:

Yep, those are the only two I have too. I never got the Sleep set because idk wtf a Sleep is and it didn’t make much sense to spend $60 on a live set of a band I have no knowledge of.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

pwn posted:

Yep, those are the only two I have too. I never got the Sleep set because idk wtf a Sleep is and it didn’t make much sense to spend $60 on a live set of a band I have no knowledge of.
Listen to Dopesmoker.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I started with The Sciences and it blew my mind.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

I think you hit on a stumbling block for CDs making a vinyl-style resurgence: A CD player is a CD player. A CD will sound the same played on a $50 (in 1996 dollars) machine as it would on a $5,000 player. There’s limited potential market to sell The Best Laser Eye to rich dads.

If there's ever a resurgence I bet it will pan out much like retro video game collecting has, which is mostly a secondhand market supported by some hyper specific cottage industries and ultimately very, very niche in general. Hopefully it won't follow the pricing trend of old video games as they've gotten so high on the desirable hardware/physical games that it's turned away many people except the diehards that pay no matter what. The principal reasons I get CDs is they're cheap, convenient, and I physically own it. It would suck to lose one of those three reasons. I'll see if I can scrape together a decent OP and stop derailing this thread.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Turbinosamente posted:

It shows how much of a noob I am because I had to look up what a target CD is and I don't recall ever having seen a disc with that pattern. Got plenty of late 80s discs, and some even made by WEA, but none of them qualify. Defintely something new to look for at the store though. Lately I've been noticing that there are a lot more desirable artists in the CD section so it feels like the time is right to get into collecting, especially on the cheap at $2 each.

I'm mostly interested in finding early pressings, loudness war and all, but I have been building a collection of nostalgic 90s staples from my teen years. Every thrift store seems to be a full buffet of 90s CDs.

Speakers mean a lot but the player does too. I have 3 "vintage" players all made in Japan with different DACs and sound. I stick with single disc players because I feel more confident that I can repair them. I had to replace the belts in two of the three, one tip for that is to buy a rubber o ring from the hardware store instead of shelling out 10 times more for a belt on eBay.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

pwn posted:

I think you hit on a stumbling block for CDs making a vinyl-style resurgence: A CD player is a CD player. A CD will sound the same played on a $50 (in 1996 dollars) machine as it would on a $5,000 player. There’s limited potential market to sell The Best Laser Eye to rich dads

Well there's two types of people involved in the vinyl resurgence. There's the big music fans who like the better sound, artwork and don't mind shelling out $500 for a TT and cartridge.

Then there's the people listening to $30 records on Crosleys.

So how big is that second group? Target sells records so it can't be insignificant. When they move on will the market survive or move back to a niche thing?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Boinks posted:

Well there's two types of people involved in the vinyl resurgence. There's the big music fans who like the better sound, artwork and don't mind shelling out $500 for a TT and cartridge.

So how big is that second group? Target sells records so it can't be insignificant. When they move on will the market survive or move back to a niche thing?

Well given that the vinyl resurgence has been going on for about 15 years now, at least, I'd say the market is pretty good.

Keep in mind that it's still is niche, overall. But I think the large format artwork does a lot.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Boinks posted:

I'm mostly interested in finding early pressings, loudness war and all, but I have been building a collection of nostalgic 90s staples from my teen years. Every thrift store seems to be a full buffet of 90s CDs.

Speakers mean a lot but the player does too. I have 3 "vintage" players all made in Japan with different DACs and sound. I stick with single disc players because I feel more confident that I can repair them. I had to replace the belts in two of the three, one tip for that is to buy a rubber o ring from the hardware store instead of shelling out 10 times more for a belt on eBay.

I'm not deep into stereo setups but am kinda dimly aware there are some differences in how each player sounds, but I guess I though it wasn't a huge difference between comparable players or could be ironed out by tweaking your speakers. For some reason this reminds me of the article I read where an audiophile tested out the early model PS1 that internet legend supposed to be the secret best CD player ever. The results were as expected: it's no better or worse than any other player of the time. I forget whether the article said the PS1 was a bit on the treble side of things in term of the audio mix.

I prefer 5 disc carousel players even though it's a lot more parts that can break. Good call on the o ring for a belt though, I've had to do that for an 8 track player. Sad thing is I don't really use it even though it's got great and loud speakers for a portable unit, because I'm afraid of the tapes popping at the join and that is a bitchy repair to do. Don't collect 8 tracks. Most of the way through typing up a lovely OP to justify a CD thread, by the way.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

If my experience is any indicator the latter group is the larger group. I'd be delighted if the bubble bursts because then everything won't be so loving over priced. The stores that have been around for decades will survive because they've always survived. It's the lovely new places that will go down and I wouldn't miss them at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Curse you Walmart, your fake Kallax that was supposed to be delivered tomorrow is suddenly delayed. I wanted a fun furniture project for the weekend.