Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I picked up an autographed hardcover written by one of my favorite authors and printed by one of my favorite publishers:

Keith Atherton posted:

I have a copy of “Rat Catching” by Crispin Glover that he signed for me on his book tour when it came out

Also a signed copy of his book “Oak Mot” which is in my basement somewhere

Also I have a North Korean children’s book that was published in English

I think you posted these either earlier in this thread or in another thread, but I'm glad you posted them again because I wanted to ask if that North Korea book is for real, and if so, where the hell did you get it??!! I remember you posted some interior pages and they were amazing.

Those Crispin Hellion Glover books are pretty cool, and are still available on his website:

http://www.crispinglover.com/books.html

I had a couple of them, but my ex-wife kept them when we split up out stuff. I might pick them up again, but I'm not sure yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Oh, man, RE/Search. I guess I was just alive at the right time and place, because I remember there being this moment where their stuff was really easy to find - I even saw some of their publications in Barnes & Noble, of all places, when I worked there. It wasn't all to my taste, but it was always guaranteed to be interesting and show me stuff I hadn't seen before.

Then I moved a bunch of times and gradually gave 'em all away and haven't even thought about them for years until now.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

Oh, man, RE/Search. I guess I was just alive at the right time and place, because I remember there being this moment where their stuff was really easy to find - I even saw some of their publications in Barnes & Noble, of all places, when I worked there. It wasn't all to my taste, but it was always guaranteed to be interesting and show me stuff I hadn't seen before.

Then I moved a bunch of times and gradually gave 'em all away and haven't even thought about them for years until now.

Similar story on my end. A whole lot of RE/Search stuff isn't anything I'm typically interested in, but the books are always so good that I find them interesting no matter what the topic. (edit: Except for the one on Swing music. I was not a fan of that 90's swing revival that the RE/Search book helped bring about).

I ordered a limited edition book of V. Vale's 70's punk photos a couple of weeks ago, but it hasn't arrived yet. I did, however, get these zines in the mail the other day:

Support them if you can. RE/Search is one of the best, and you can still visit V.Vale at their office/ apartment across the street from City Lights Books in San Francisco.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 16, 2019

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

With the recent news that Mad Magazine has died, I've been doing one of my periodic revisits to something that had a massive impact on the evolution of my sense of humor and worldview. Here are a couple of cheapo books just got:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh man, I really want to know what's in that Spaceballs book that isn't in the movie.

I read it because it was somehow in my year 5 bookcase at school

I had no concept for Mel Brooks films at all and when I finally got around to watching the film it was a weird experience

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

~Coxy posted:

Yes! When I was little I had a copy of The World's Greatest Cranks and Crackpots which appears to be the source of the bulk of that wikipedia article.

I'm currently on holiday in Malta and on impulse I walked into a thrift store and unexpectedly came across them.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

~Coxy posted:

I'm currently on holiday in Malta and on impulse I walked into a thrift store and unexpectedly came across them.

That first book on the left is going to need a whole volume just to catch up with everything that’s happened since it was published.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
RUGBY JOKES

how could you leave the shop without that one?!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

What better way to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the moon landing than with a book about it from 1986? I wasn't able to do more than skim it before leaving for Russia (I took these pictures a month and a half ago), but what I saw had a good mix of insight, inanity, and the whole spectrum between – everything that makes old speculations about the future fun. I also like how they made it a coffee table book by just dumping in a pile of stock photos; there's no reason for it to be illustrated at all, but the presentation pushes the kitsch value through the roof today (and if you listen to The Flop House, the "Dan McCoy" credit on half of them is a treat in itself). Strongly recommended, with the caveat for Clarke fans that he had almost nothing to do with the book, which is apparently derived for the most part from contemporary Omni pieces. (I deeply regret leaving out the "Letter from a Lunar Inhabitant", one of the bits that he actually wrote; I took a picture but deleted it by mistake.)

First person to recognize the spaceship in the third row wins a prize nerd cred. The "Arok" robot next to it is also worth checking out in its own right. If only the rest of the cool old junk in this book had been directly labeled with easily searched names.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

What better way to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the moon landing than with a book about it from 1986? I wasn't able to do more than skim it before leaving for Russia (I took these pictures a month and a half ago), but what I saw had a good mix of insight, inanity, and the whole spectrum between – everything that makes old speculations about the future fun. I also like how they made it a coffee table book by just dumping in a pile of stock photos; there's no reason for it to be illustrated at all, but the presentation pushes the kitsch value through the roof today (and if you listen to The Flop House, the "Dan McCoy" credit on half of them is a treat in itself). Strongly recommended, with the caveat for Clarke fans that he had almost nothing to do with the book, which is apparently derived for the most part from contemporary Omni pieces. (I deeply regret leaving out the "Letter from a Lunar Inhabitant", one of the bits that he actually wrote; I took a picture but deleted it by mistake.)

First person to recognize the spaceship in the third row wins a prize nerd cred. The "Arok" robot next to it is also worth checking out in its own right. If only the rest of the cool old junk in this book had been directly labeled with easily searched names.

This is awesome.

~Coxy posted:

So is this.

SavageMessiah posted:

RUGBY JOKES

how could you leave the shop without that one?!

But yeah, seriously! I hope you bought the rugby jokes book so you can post some here.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i had an absolute treasure trove of old books from about the 40s to the 70s, acquired when i was like 10 and my school library was throwing all their old poo poo out in a huge pile in the hallway. i asked if i could bring them home, since nobody else was interested, and they let me.

still very sad that i had to leave them all behind. they're just in a drat attic now...

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Here are a few new books:

Peter Porker, The Spectacular Spider-Ham was the first comic book I ever bought and/or read, way back when I was 8 years old. I have all 17 issues, but it's nice to finally have them compiled into a single book.

Finally, I just got this book as a gift for subscribing to Mad magazine (even though it was recently cancelled).

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Finally, I just got this book as a gift for subscribing to Mad magazine (even though it was recently cancelled).

Blecch. I'm suddenly a lot less sad about their cancellation.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://mobile.twitter.com/MaxwellTheTige1/status/1152597327196164098

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kinks targeted at miners? Must be a mod.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Wow. I was gonna go back to sleep for a bit before work, but instead I tracked down and ordered a nice-looking very good used copy of this from 1950. Will report back when it arrives.

Edit: I think I've mentioned before, I spent 7 years working in the on-site field office of a huge tunnel project, and miners are some of the surliest, saltiest, most creatively profane men I've ever been around. We got along pretty good.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 23, 2019

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Solice Kirsk posted:

Kinks targeted at miners? Must be a mod.

:catbert: :hmmyes:

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/PulpLibrarian/status/1156273426706960384?s=20

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Daniel Cohen wrote a lot of books for a juvenile audience, many of which scared the loving socks off of me in the mid-1980s. I never saw this one, from 1973, in the wild, but it's a pretty heavy (albeit well-researched and respectfully written) trip for a children's library shelf.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Bam!

I'll look through it this weekend and post anything good I find inside.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

Daniel Cohen wrote a lot of books for a juvenile audience, many of which scared the loving socks off of me in the mid-1980s. I never saw this one, from 1973, in the wild, but it's a pretty heavy (albeit well-researched and respectfully written) trip for a children's library shelf.

That looks intense. I may have to check it out.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I am excited about this new issue of RE/ Search, which just arrived in the mail. They don't come out very often, so it's taken V.Vale about 40 years to get to #19.

He included autographed prints of this picture of The Dils from 1977:

And John Waters from sometime in the 80's:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Against my better judgment, I bought a lot of approximately 100 paperbacks for pretty cheap, mostly because it had a few books I REALLY wanted:

A few other stand-outs:

Honestly, every single book is worth posting, so I scanned them all at work before they come home with me tonight. I'll post them soon, but probably not today.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

man, old pulp book covers have a look to them you don't see much of anymore. i wish that would come back. i think it's the paintings

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So is Caitlyn Jenner or the Village People now the most prominant queer person on that cover?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

man, old pulp book covers have a look to them you don't see much of anymore. i wish that would come back. i think it's the paintings

Yeah, that's why Hard Case Crime books stand out so much these days. They modernize the painted cover pulp look perfectly.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Arivia posted:

So is Caitlyn Jenner or the Village People now the most prominant queer person on that cover?

Caitlyn Jenner (Bruce at the time) replaced Erik Estrada for seven episodes of "CHiPs" fifth season (1981-1982), and did a commendable job. Therefore I will say that Jenner is the most prominent person on that cover, at least to me.

On the other hand, when I was in high school during the 90's, I used to drive around blasting the Village People's greatest hits cassette whenever I needed a break from thrash metal and punk rock. I distinctly remember that's what I was listening to when I was in the only car accident I've ever caused. Happily, it was very minor, and I was able to continue on rocking the Village People with minimal delay.

On a side note, I read an interview with Steve Guttenberg a few years ago, and he said that he had no idea that Village People were gay until long after the movie was released.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

A few more from the recent lot of paperbacks:

Many, many more to come...

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I have not forgotten about my previous promise to post all of my ridiculous Nightcat merch. I will get to it eventually.

In the meantime, I happened upon this yesterday:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Peter Rabe has written some decent crime novels. I've never read this one, but it's now high on my to-read list.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I love pre-internet fishing books.

Anyone need an av?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I love pre-internet fishing books.

Anyone need an av?

Niiice.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I almost forgot, I still have another 40 pages of scanned books to post from that paperback lot. Here are a few more:

Andre Norton wrote Beastmaster, although it isn't much like the movie.

Looks like I forgot to scan the backs of these three:

More soon.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Spoilered - NSW:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

The Man from Avon sounds like something I'd actually pick up and read.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i wanna know what coal is
i want you to show me

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

i wanna know what coal is
i want you to show me

I wanna know what coal is
I know you can show me
I want to feel it too
I want to feel what coal is

queserasera posted:

The Man from Avon sounds like something I'd actually pick up and read.

Yeah, that one does look pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

niiice