Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Black can already pay life to draw cards, now black can pay life to pay mana!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
That card is b-b-b-busted

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

It seems insane, does this mean Tendrils is gonna jump up in results?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Sanctum of Eternity
https://twitter.com/TheTrinisphere/status/1157397422227804160?s=19

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Bringing back Phyrexian mana seems incredibly dangerous. That it's in black and let's every other black card have Phyrexian mana is even more worrying.

Can't wait to make a busted deck with it :getin:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jhoira is dead? But I just put her in a deck a few months ago

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

With the paradox ban? Yeah, there isn't any real competitive life to her anymore.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TheTofuShop posted:

It seems insane, does this mean Tendrils is gonna jump up in results?

Does that card really do anything Tendrils doesn’t already have?

Making enemy removal live seems sketchy

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

Bringing back Phyrexian mana seems incredibly dangerous. That it's in black and let's every other black card have Phyrexian mana is even more worrying.

Can't wait to make a busted deck with it :getin:

It’s commander it’s supposed to be busted.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
out of curiousity, would that ability also apply to hybrid black mana as well, or is that considered distinct?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

A big flaming stink posted:

out of curiousity, would that ability also apply to hybrid black mana as well, or is that considered distinct?

You're replacing any black mana with "pay 2 life" so then I guess your option would be, say, Nightveil Specter, U/B/2 Life 3 times.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Jhoira is dead? But I just put her in a deck a few months ago

Karn went back in time to un-kill her, broke time, made her live forever-ish, and accidentally created a phyrexian hell army lead by Mr Steal-yo-life up there.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Framboise posted:

Neat! He turns Ad Nauseam into a 3-drop spell. :unsmigghh:

so the deal we're getting here is, instead of paying 5 mana for ad naus, we're going to pay 7 mana and have six less life to work with?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Ten, actually

I think this is a card that makes new things busted, not re-busts already good things

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Does that card really do anything Tendrils doesn’t already have?

Making enemy removal live seems sketchy

yeah I have no idea, the only Legacy deck I own is Breakfast Burrito, and hadn't heard anything mentioned besides ANT

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

It also lets you get your commander back from a control-changing effect, not as efficiently as Homeward Path mind.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

A 4 mana legend that costs you 6 life and doesn't actually save you mana until pay another 4 life on Dark Rituals is not legacy playable. Especially when one of your main game plans is Ad Nauseam.

There could be some weird Doomsday pile with him and Experimental Frenzy, but I don't see how an LED wouldn't be better in that slot in pretty much every situation. Maybe there's some activated ability that goes with infinite with him, idk. He lets you cast Griselbrand if you untap with him? If you have the 5th land you can even activate it once.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This guy goes infinite with Chainer, Gary/Kokusho, and a sac outlet.

Not that that's particularly good, but illustrative of the sorts of things making activated abilities not cost Mana can be useful for.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

This guy goes infinite with Chainer, Gary/Kokusho, and a sac outlet.

Not that that's particularly good, but illustrative of the sorts of things making activated abilities not cost Mana can be useful for.

If you have multiple opponents, anyway. Gray Merchant needs 3 opponents (assuming no other black devotion.) It's the kind of card that's probably going to go into every mono-black deck because they're all the same deck anyway.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah I don't think card that costs 4 up front to start doing anything (completely ignoring the life loss) is gonna make it in Legacy, but holy poo poo that's one of the most hosed up designs I think I've ever seen. Like goddamn, Phyrexian mana was already a mistake, and now we're putting it on decades worth of cards where that kind of cost reduction was never even a consideration.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

paying a minimum of 4 up front for that effect stapled to a body that dies to every piece of removal ever printed limits how dangerous it can be

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

paying a minimum of 4 up front for that effect stapled to a body that dies to every piece of removal ever printed limits how dangerous it can be

Dies to Doom Blade.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

suicidesteve posted:

Dies to Doom Blade.

fair, but when you pay 4 mana and 6 life to set up your combo you kind of don’t want your enabler to disappear at instant speed

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
....am i missing something obvious?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

fair, but when you pay 4 mana and 6 life to set up your combo you kind of don’t want your enabler to disappear at instant speed

I wasn't commenting on the idea behind your post. I actually think "Dies to Doom Blade" is a much more valid argument than people like to pretend it is. Especially when there's not only no immediate benefit, but an actual downside associated with the card.

I was just pointing out the irony of it "dying to every piece of removal" when the one everyone uses for this argument misses it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Dies to Doom Blade.

No he doesn't.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The argument, not the card

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Nope.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I thought playing removal was so many negative Sheldon Points that nobody did it

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

for when you need an incredibly limited Repulse that can remove hexproof guys, I guess

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's kind of a weird design to push in EDH, honestly - you've got a Commander that's kinda slow and doesn't do anything by itself, but also loudly announces "I'm going to gently caress the world" as soon as it resolves, which almost forces the table to hate you into the stone age and not let you do anything fun - the alternative, of course, being them letting themselves get hazed by you doing something completely unreasonable.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Elyv posted:

for when you need an incredibly limited Repulse that can remove hexproof guys, I guess

Also gets back any commanders they stole

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Does Play Design touch the commander stuff? I'm going to guess no.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Voyager I posted:

It's kind of a weird design to push in EDH, honestly - you've got a Commander that's kinda slow and doesn't do anything by itself, but also loudly announces "I'm going to gently caress the world" as soon as it resolves, which almost forces the table to hate you into the stone age and not let you do anything fun - the alternative, of course, being them letting themselves get hazed by you doing something completely unreasonable.

I don't feel like he's going to find a place as a commander so much as in the 99 (if anywhere) because if you want to play Ad Naus as your commander, Sidisi is going to be better for that. The question is what will he do? The effect has potential, but so far the best I've seen is the aforementioned Chainer--it gives you an instant speed, repeatable, 0 mana reanimate (but costs 9 life). You can do stuff like cheat Razaketh into play, but that's a lot of hoops to jump through when you could just do something more compact like a hulk pile.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It's not going to be a cEDH card for the same reason it's not going to be a legacy card - too much up front-investment for no immediate payoff and the really aggressive combos can already be winning the game by the time you'd start getting any value out of him.

However, in a more casual environment where T4 commander is an acceptable opening play, this thing can start getting gross without putting all that much effort into it, and the table doesn't have much choice but to stop you.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elyv posted:

kicks the people playing Partners in the teeth too

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Voyager I posted:

It's not going to be a cEDH card for the same reason it's not going to be a legacy card - too much up front-investment for no immediate payoff and the really aggressive combos can already be winning the game by the time you'd start getting any value out of him.

However, in a more casual environment where T4 commander is an acceptable opening play, this thing can start getting gross without putting all that much effort into it, and the table doesn't have much choice but to stop you.

You don't think it's reasonable in 1v1? Card pairs super well with discard and cheap removal.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
I can't be the only one who's amazed that Scapeshift is the best deck in standard. It seems crazy to me, but I'm having a ton of fun hating it out with a Blood Sun Lotus deck.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Elyv posted:

Holy poo poo that's Uril the Miststalker on the art isn't it? that's fitting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Trotting out BW tokens again today. It's a fun deck that does well against out new jund overlords but eats poo poo against our other tron overlords. Would it be worth cutting a Sorin for a one of Elspeth knight errant or putting Kaya's guile in the main?

Even the bwtokens4life.com guy has given up on tokens :(

2 kozilek
2 thoughtseize
1 fatal push
3 path to exile
4 auriok champion
4 intangible virtue
3 bitterblossom
2 hidden stockpile
2 zealous persecution
4 lingering souls
4 spectral procession