Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why do Texans like Beto so much? I mean...he loving LOST!?

Because he already has their email address.

Same reason the guy from "build the wall" used his list of contributors to fundraiser for his campaign (super illegal, but highly effective).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Free Muppets on PCP, nobody should get in trouble for treating that uglycat poo poo like the absolute joke that it was.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

I’ve mentioned Congressman Horsford in the past because he’s in my region, but more importantly a big powerful union easily pushed him to the top over every progressive group endorsing his opponents.

https://twitter.com/meganmesserly/status/1157302058501804032

Horsford’s union buddies are probably still mad that Obama didn’t let them “double dip” and get tax credits for their plans that were too loaded up with benefits to qualify for them. So now you’ll maybe get a public option or nothing.

I swear that unions will be the biggest opposition to ever getting a single payer system in America. gently caress em.

Good thing unions are hosed

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
This thread is like reading Breitbart comments but instead of sucking Trump off and crazy anti left stories it's sucking Bernie off and crazy anti left stories.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

T Bowl posted:

This thread is like reading Breitbart comments but instead of sucking Trump off and crazy anti left stories it's sucking Bernie off and crazy anti left stories.

What would you like to discuss that's not being discussed here?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
sucking castro's dick, duh

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Sanders/Nader 2020... go

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
traficant/sanders 2020

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
So this explains why she thought flubbing your own campaign's website was considered "finishing strong".

https://twitter.com/mediaite/status/1156789637064646656?s=21

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Majorian posted:

That's not entirely true; Yanukovych, while a kleptocrat, was hardly far-right, particularly compared to large swathes of the coalition that ended up replacing him. The Kremlin's agenda in the West is to spread chaos and disrupt the neoliberal agenda (albeit for different ends than what you or I are aiming for).

The people who replaced Yanukovich were also largely just kleptocrats, albeit more Western-facing ones. There was some increase in fascism/far right politics in Ukraine that's been caused by the strain of the Crimean war and Poroshenko's nationalist opportunism... but Poroshenko wasn't exactly super-popular either (particularly because he used nationalism as a way to deflect from actually having to do something about Crimea).

The 2014 and 2019 elections have kind of put paid to the idea that there is some massive swell of far-right politics in Ukraine. Zelensky and his party are just a mish-mash of welfare-statism and capitalism. Poroshenko's party lost significantly. Right Sector, National Corps and Svoboda (all the far right/Nazi parties), joined together into one party and lost 6 of their seats (Svoboda had actually lost like 36 seats in 2014 as well, but no one noticed), leaving them with 1. The People's Front (kind of a more nationalist ally of Poroshenko's government) sat out the 2019 election altogether.

The other issues with this analysis is that Putin isn't actually interested in economically disrupting the neoliberal order... after all, where else is he going to do his banking or sell his oil and gas? (again, most of the oligarchs and Putin store their cash/take their vacations/send their kids to schools in the West). He's more interested in disrupting the political unity of that order... while deflecting the downturn of the RF economy after the 2011 oil crash on Western "interference". Supporting various far-right, anti-Islam and anti-(((globalist))) parties is just the best way to do that for him (given that they'll still protect capitalism). The strategy after 2016 (which was indeed to cause chaos) has shifted further to the right.

Suffice to say I don't think either centrists hyperventilating over Putin "wanting to create a new Яussian empire" and leftists believing that Putin is some kind of "anti-imperialist" or neutral "chaos agent" are correct.

Anyway, this is more of a Europe thread... so that's the last I'm going to say here.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

sexpig by night posted:

sucking castro's dick, duh

Which one.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Herm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.230bfa2c0cb5

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I agree with most of this, I just think it's important not to project too much ideological direction onto the Kremlin right now. Putin will support far-leftists in the West as easily as he'll support far-rightists, as long as they support his agenda. If he thinks supporting Bernie will weaken the U.S. and advance his interests, he'll do it (at least as much as he can, which is probably not all that much). But I doubt that's the direction he'd go anyway.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

punk rebel ecks posted:

He was really good for uping turnout for the election which helped the down ticket vote and caused a lot of great leftists to get elected at a state level. He really should have just stayed in Texas, though.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

punk rebel ecks posted:

democrats?

with bad opinions????

there has to be some other explanation

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

What are your thoughts on this article?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Putin would probably prefer a fascist america that destablizes the country rather than a far left one, to be fair. More gay people and minorities get slaid in the former.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Main Paineframe posted:

What are your thoughts on this article?

Too Soon

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

punk rebel ecks posted:

I can not express strongly enough how unusual it was for Texas Democrats to have someone actually try to win. It energized everyone. 2018 was literally the first time in my life where every position on my ballot had a Democratic candidate

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah I actually got into a tiff with someone I met in Austin during my Indivisible days who argued "Why NOT Beto? He's right, he beats Trump the hardest in Texas out of everyone else!" I guess if one is not exposed to Texan thinking and the uh...outsized sense of self importance they can have sometimes about how much their state matters it might make less sense but yeah. I get it. I disagree vehemently, but I get it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
nothin like arguing someone should lead the most powerful nation in the world because 'well why NOT him'

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Glumslinger posted:

LA Times did a better version of the donation map, breaking it down by ZIP code, and showing how much each candidate got

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1157370312675213317

I really want to see this map with Trump included in the donation rankings.

Bernie has an ironclad grip on Wisconsin, which isn't surprising and further confirms my hypothesis that Wisconsin absolutely would've stayed blue if Bernie was the nominee in 2016.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Health insurance agencies figured out how to just have pharmacies deny your request to purchases anything.

Of course this was after they made sure you had no pharmacy choice.

CVS Health owns Aetna.
Cigna owns Express Scripts.
UnitedHealth Group owns OptumRx.

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article232478212.html

quote:

PBMs can work for a number of different entities. In Smith’s case, she’s dealing with CVS Caremark, the prescription benefit management subsidiary of CVS Health, which controls what pills she receives from a CVS Specialty Pharmacy and the drugs she receives via infusions and injections at cCare.

And her insurance – a plan through Anthem Blue Cross that costs around $500 a month – requires she use CVS.

But customers can’t actually visit a CVS Specialty Pharmacy, according to CVS. Cancer pills are either mailed to a patient’s home or shipped to a regular CVS store for pickup.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 3, 2019

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

bowser posted:

The response to Tulsi bringing up Kamala's public record by donut twitter has been pathetic. It's literally all "Russian Bots" or "What about Assad?" with no one even making an attempt to justify her record. I don't like Tulsi for a variety of reasons but at least address her arguments. Meanwhile, the same group seems to be completely ignoring Joe's on-stage dementia.

They're scared as hell. The amount of media manipulation we see the closer we get to a real leftist winning this thing is going to be insane.

its not surprising, a milquetoast establishment darling hasn't been destroyed on live TV that bad since Chris Christie caused Robo Rubio to short circuit at the 2016 New Hampshire debate.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1157402155206270977

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1157400246428868609

lol the primary is just becoming bernie vs biden again

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

lmao rip Harris

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Seems like Mayor Butt is falling

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Harris was always going to fade out and leave Biden where she stood. She's the obvious pick for people who are able to see that Biden is the wrong choice, but are still broke-brained.

Christ Biden is almost as orange as trump.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

sexpig by night posted:

nothin like arguing someone should lead the most powerful nation in the world because 'well why NOT him'

To be fair, none of the other candidates were born to be in it.
I'm not one to go lol polls don't matter, but polls of literally the night of and day after a debate round are laughable. The value of the debates doesn't lie in our intensely involved citizenry synthesizing new opinions from the verbal clash of the candidates. The value is in which clips make the rounds, the consensus of the punditry, and the resulting conclusions that seep into the unsuspecting brains of a disengaged populous who was busy watching the Bachelorette finale.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kamala Harris' response to attacks on her record seems pretty convincing to me. Everyone who doesn't like her is a Russia-backed Assadist, and what record?

https://twitter.com/RealTimBlack/status/1157338794930114561?s=20

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Kamala Harris' response to attacks on her record seems pretty convincing to me. Everyone who doesn't like her is a Russia-backed Assadist, and what record?

https://twitter.com/RealTimBlack/status/1157338794930114561?s=20

ahaha, well, I'm happy to see she's doing so well.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I’m not gonna stop freaking out until Biden drops below 20% tbh.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

spunkshui posted:

Health insurance agencies figured out how to just have pharmacies deny your request to purchases anything.

Of course this was after they made sure you had no pharmacy choice.

CVS Health owns Aetna.
Cigna owns Express Scripts.
UnitedHealth Group owns OptumRx.

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article232478212.html

Capitalism creates efficiency

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I'm not worrying about Biden until it gets closer to election time, says increasingly nervous man

(The Boomers are going to stick us with a dementia-off in the general)

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Uglycat posted:

I still think putin had Seth rich murdered, to frame Hillary just before the election

The left QAnon we needed

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Thread, regarding Williamson's history of claims

https://twitter.com/DrJenGunter/status/1157453747020128256

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

How can you criticize a weight loss book for being fat shaming?

edit: Williamson said she doesn't think Medicare for All is politically realistic. That's bad. You guys don't have to reach for stuff to criticize her for anymore. "She believes in magic and her weight loss book is based on the premise that being overweight is bad!" Just criticize her genuine policy failing on M4A.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 3, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Gripweed posted:

How can you criticize a weight loss book for being fat shaming?

Just gonna quote this for posterity.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Fat is a repository of twisted, distorted thoughts . . . Much like goons? COINCIDENCE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lightning Knight posted:

I’m not gonna stop freaking out until Biden drops below 20% tbh.

a field this big only helps him more.