Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

ASenileAnimal posted:

lol how the hell do you manage to build a guitar with "unsafe components"? like were people getting electrocuted by these things?

"oh no my superior american-made auto-tuners are on fire"
(Since it was 2009 they didn't know they could just ship that way and nobody important would do anything about it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've heard (apocryphal?) stories about those robot tuners triggering at random times and refusing to stop until the string snaps, which is pretty much my worst nightmare.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
One time my cousin bought a cheap Gibson on clearance. He brought it by for me to check it out and I tried it and immediately told him he should return it because it played like poo poo and it seemed off. He returned it to the store and they told him their luthier would take a look at it and see if he could fix it. The luthier determines the neck is hosed and sends it back to Gibson. My cousin found this out by calling the store a week later to check the status. A month later it shows up and Gibson had went ahead and changed out the tuners for the robot tuners free of charge for his trouble ( how great). My cousin hated the robot tuners and bought Grovers instead. I played it again and it was a bit better but still not awesome and he sold it like a month later. The only thing on the guitar I liked were the dirty finger humbuckers. They are very good pickups.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Even if they worked perfectly they just seem like an answer to a question nobody asked.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Anime Reference posted:

"oh no my superior american-made auto-tuners are on fire"
(Since it was 2009 they didn't know they could just ship that way and nobody important would do anything about it.)

Naw they got sued over this

https://guitar.com/news/gibsons-woes-continue-with-50-million-robot-tuner-lawsuit/

Which is also probably why these guitars didn't go to charity, now that I think about it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Lester Shy posted:

I've heard (apocryphal?) stories about those robot tuners triggering at random times and refusing to stop until the string snaps, which is pretty much my worst nightmare.

The anxiety pulsing through me right now is immeasurable.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

gibson might do better if their guitars didnt start at 1000 bucks and have all the qc problems that youd expect from a budget brand.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Kilometers Davis posted:

The anxiety pulsing through me right now is immeasurable.

can someone please make a horror film about killer robot guitars

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

If there’s not a scene where the strings snap and fingers go flying in every direction then it’s a failure.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

So the company that calls the lawyers whenever someone makes a guitar with pointy parts called their mechanical tuning system “G-Force” despite that name having been used for a $300 million-grossing kids film, video game and corresponding line of toys less than a decade earlier, not to mention the Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets G-Force in the 70s?

Oh I see, it’s only IP theft when someone else does it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

To be fair G-Force is just a science term.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

gibson_lawyer_with_glowing_eyes.jpg

also as much as i like ripping on gibson, the epiphone thunderbird i have is absolutely incredible and costs way less than its gibson counterpart.

ASenileAnimal fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 3, 2019

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ASenileAnimal posted:

gibson might do better if their guitars didnt start at 1000 bucks and have all the qc problems that youd expect from a budget brand.

the profit margins are better if they make lovely guitars and sue everybody else

ignore the bankruptcy

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Kilometers Davis posted:

If there’s not a scene where the strings snap and fingers go flying in every direction then it’s a failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22XdYRbFHoE

(pretty gruesome in a cheap horror way)

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

To be fair G-Force is just a science term.

To be fair would be nice, since Gibson never is. (Also it’s a science term that has gently caress all to do with tension or anything relating to the tuners)

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Kilometers Davis posted:

The best part is the tension-building music would be played by the guy holding the guitar as the music slowly gets higher and higher...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

gently caress Your Website posted:

To be fair would be nice, since Gibson never is. (Also it’s a science term that has gently caress all to do with tension or anything relating to the tuners)

How much does it have to do with the brands you posted? Probably nothing.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Huh, didn't know I needed the blood of fifty people on my strings for screamin' spooky tones.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Huh, didn't know I needed the blood of fifty people on my strings for screamin' spooky tones.

Honestly, I've just been using corn syrup. Works exactly the same but for a fraction of the price of the stuff Gibson sells,

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ASenileAnimal posted:

The hosed-up thing is that budget brands (Squier, Epiphone, LTD, Chapman, Sterling, Agile, Wolf among the ones I've tried last month) seem to at least get the whole "Hmm, if the guitar plays deece, maybe we can get them hooked to buy more guitars?" potential of making good-to-great budget instruments. And that's what fucks me up the most about our brave new world of guitar making.

I tried a Wolf 6-string bass and a Sterling Stingray 4-string last month; they were both sub $500 but played like a dream. How crazy is that?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I liked my $350 Squier so much I immediately bought an $800 Charvel so clearly the strategy works.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Did someone say badass budget guitars around me?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

Did someone say badass budget guitars around me?
Yes! Strut your stuff, Manlove! :dance:

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Anime Reference posted:

I liked my $350 Squier so much I immediately bought an $800 Charvel so clearly the strategy works.

currently fiending for a high end strat after a few months with a surprisingly well made cheap knockoff. holding off cause my desired color combo of blue or green sss with a maple fretboard is pretty drat hard to find. also the wierd mental block of "you need to get better at playing and earn that poo poo".

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wark Say posted:

Yes! Strut your stuff, Manlove! :dance:

I don't have any new recordings but I wrote something Monday while watching the boys on Amazon. However I kinda forgot what I wrote because I didn't record a demo

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't have any new recordings but I wrote something Monday while watching the boys on Amazon. However I kinda forgot what I wrote because I didn't record a demo

I find the worst part is where you record a video of yourself playing the skeleton of an idea so you don't forget it; but that's NEVER the ideas you forget. But you have a brilliant melody in your head while driving, and you can repeat it for the rest of the day, and as soon as you can jot it down... it's gone!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I get this a lot when listening to other genres and thinking "hmm if this note changed a couple tones up and that one a semitone down and the bass did this instead it could sound cool". I was listening to a YouTube mix called 'samurai Trap' or similar earlier and all the ideas it inspired have totally evaporated.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It was like a weird combination of a post-gym high, three beers, and Karl Urban's British accent that got me in the mood to come up with a sick blackened thrash song idea that I only remember the chorus and bridge to because they were just chordal progressions. Everything else was this weird psuedo diminished scale that's the harmonic minor scale with a raised fourth.

Oh well, I'll come up with something else again.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Jonny Nox posted:

I find the worst part is where you record a video of yourself playing the skeleton of an idea so you don't forget it; but that's NEVER the ideas you forget. But you have a brilliant melody in your head while driving, and you can repeat it for the rest of the day, and as soon as you can jot it down... it's gone!

HEY SIRI REMIND ME TO TRANSPOSE DUN DUWEEDPEDEE DOO DO DOOT DNDNDN DEEDOOOOO DUGGADUGGADUGGA WEEOOOOOOO

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Onomatopoeic riff descriptions are my favourite thing

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jonny Nox posted:

Always have staff paper handy!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

sigher posted:

Always have staff paper handy!

Get a blank staff tattooed on your arm and carry a sharpie.
Or just a tattoo machine with you everywhere be like a musical version of memento.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I got a dash cam a few months back, and sometimes I use it to "grab" a song I like off the radio so that I can ID it later. I would use it to save riff ideas while I'm driving, but I never have any riff ideas, so....

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
It came from twitter:

s k i t t e r i n g f e m i n i n e g r o o v e s

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Honestly I'd just give up on the old blood approach and buy an apprehension engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lTYPvArbGo

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thumposaurus posted:

Get a blank staff tattooed on your arm and carry a sharpie.

This is actually the coolest loving idea for a tattoo... god drat.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

NonzeroCircle posted:

Onomatopoeic riff descriptions are my favourite thing

i was in a band where we called that the beavis and butthead school of music notation

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003

sigher posted:

This is actually the coolest loving idea for a tattoo... god drat.

Oh, honey, nooooo. Nothing screams “I’m painfully inadequate and I define my identity solely by my activities” more.

It’s the even worse, more permanent version of buying rock band onesies for your kid: to quote Todd Barry, “But otherwise how will all the other dads know how cool my record collection is?”

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It would be pretty easy to incorporate a few lines into another design so you could always use them for notation if you wanted to but it’s not all “LOOK I LOVE MUSIC”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

gently caress Your Website posted:

Oh, honey, nooooo. Nothing screams “I’m painfully inadequate and I define my identity solely by my activities” more.

It’s the even worse, more permanent version of buying rock band onesies for your kid: to quote Todd Barry, “But otherwise how will all the other dads know how cool my record collection is?”

Nah I would think it was super cute and charming in person really.