Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Hambulance posted:

Hello, Starfleet. I'm listening...

I had consumed years of Frasier before I ever saw this, so it's just Captain Frasier to me, I have no concept of what this was like to audiences at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

I had consumed years of Frasier before I ever saw this, so it's just Captain Frasier to me, I have no concept of what this was like to audiences at the time.

It was while Cheers was on, so I think that reaction was pretty common

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

probably similar to when jason alexander guested on voyager

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
That Frazer and Miles are quite the pair of cards!!! :laugh:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WampaLord posted:

It was while Cheers was on, so I think that reaction was pretty common

yeah, it was either '91 or '92, so "years of Frasier before ever seeing this" would have been the standard reaction

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Well then it's just bizarre

Frasier switching the view screen with the talarian ambassador on and off and having a panicked conversation with his first officer about protocol to ensure it goes smoothly, only to finally turn the view screen back on while delivering a biting joke about talarians taste in wine

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

crispix posted:

That Frazer and Miles are quite the pair of cards!!! :laugh:

Yeah a pair of queens *laughter*

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

Frasier switching the view screen with the talarian ambassador on and off and having a panicked conversation with his first officer about protocol to ensure it goes smoothly, only to finally turn the view screen back on while delivering a biting joke about talarians taste in wine

drat replicator can't even make a good glass of sherry! NILES!!!

*Niles spins around from the conn* Frasier, just take the '48 out of your ready room. You know synthehol is a plebian drink!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

*stuck in jefferies tube*
im missing captain frasier crane day!!

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

You're forgetting that just days ago I was assimilated by a borg collective now dead.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Captain Frasier's ex Number 1 was a saucy Vulcan named L' Lith.

His previous one left him the day the ship was commissioned because a better post came up.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The Hambulance posted:

Captain Frasier stole all the turtlenecks and belts from the Ent C, the bastard

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

420 Gank Mid posted:

You're forgetting that just days ago I was assimilated by a borg collective now dead.

Frasier episode "Good Grief" is functionally the same thing as the Picard storyline in TNG "Family".

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Cross-Section posted:

Captain Frasier stole all the turtlenecks and belts from the Ent C, the bastard

"You eat pieces of replicated poo poo for breakfast?"

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I just ran into the Ted Danson episode and man it's weird when he isn't Old Man Charm the elemental

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Where's that gif of frasier pursing his lips and looking weird

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/MikeBeauvais/status/1158475174565560328

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Okay here's some more Screenrant clickbait that's at least not a lazy "best of" or "worst of" list, it's 10 Frasier storylines that were never resolved:

https://screenrant.com/frasier-storylines-plotlines-no-resolution-closure/

One of them is just the show ending on a cliffhanger, another is about Daphne being psychic, and I think the rest are just 90's sitcom has limited continuity.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 10, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Daphne being psychic was absolutely resolved. List sucks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It really shouldn't be hard to figure that in a sitcom that shows slices of people's lives and establishes that a lot of things happen off camera, there are things that just turn out not to be funny or interesting. Like real life, plenty of things fizzle out or are forgotten about and never really come up again.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
* It's never resolved if Martin is able to get Røbert's expensive dogfood without subterfuge, as Daphne never apologizes. Hence, we are unable to see if this plotline was ever resolved or if Eddie suffered with substandard kennel-grafe offal.

* Maris is never shown so we cannot deduce exactly how close to the Hapsburgs she was.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Maris was in several episodes but she's so dainty and thin that you can't see her unless she's turned to the side, much like a 2D sprite. The actress that portrayed her was one of those weirdos who only ever stares directly into the camera.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Daphne sucks

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

FilthyImp posted:

* Maris is never shown so we cannot deduce exactly how close to the Hapsburgs she was.

tbh i always assumed people were exaggerating maris' proportions so calista flockhart acting at maximum snootiness was my go-to mental image

you'd probably get less habsburgs and more slenderman if everyone's description was literal, e.g. resembling a sentient hatrack

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The Hambulance posted:

he finally got his own cigare volant..

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Daphne being psychic was absolutely resolved. List sucks

Honestly it doesn’t matter if it was resolved or not. It’s a dumb thing that’s one of her quarks (sp?). Like who really cares that much?

Also having just come back from London it makes me appreciate her jokes so much more.

Bullocks depending on the accent absolutely sounds like ballsacks and makes me laugh every time.

Edit I guess it’s quirky? I’m leaving the wrong word because I should have looked it up.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 10, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

hard counter posted:

tbh i always assumed people were exaggerating maris' proportions so calista flockhart acting at maximum snootiness was my go-to mental image

you'd probably get less habsburgs and more slenderman if everyone's description was literal, e.g. resembling a sentient hatrack

I pictured a Grey in a fancy hat.

Unrelated, I wonder if Frasier could be said to have made positive contributions to normalising the idea of getting psychiatric help.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FilthyImp posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I still want to pet that skinny dogge.

Also wondering if Maris Crane was actually Pearl from Steven Universe.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

doubtful, imo

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I pictured a Grey in a fancy hat.

american dad x frasier eh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Finding it hilarious and a little scary that Frasier the Mii in Smash Bros even sounds like Kelsey Grammar.

And he even defeats Niles first try on Silph Co tower, fitting?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm drinking and watching a hosed up episode, "Decoys", and remembering how hosed up the Niles and Lilith episode is.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Watched an old episode of Titus last night that guest starred David Hyde Pierce as a leather jacket-wearing motorcycle-riding motivational speaker. I forgot how fun it was to see this during peak Frasier years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5QFtuA10h8

(He shows up at around 2:00, but the whole episode is great).

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
My wife and I once made David Hyde Pierce laugh on an NYC subway

Welp, that's my story

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
One of the bad non-DaphneFam/Kirby episodes is the one where the Crane boys take an adult school class for Auto Maintenance and they act like dipshits the entire time.

It's supposed to be a role reversal but it just comes off as classist.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Toaster Beef posted:

My wife and I once made David Hyde Pierce laugh on an NYC subway

Welp, that's my story

You son of a bitch, you goddamned son of a bitch. Finish the story about how you and your wife made David Hyde Pierce laugh you withholding goddamned son of a bitch!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

FilthyImp posted:

One of the bad non-DaphneFam/Kirby episodes is the one where the Crane boys take an adult school class for Auto Maintenance and they act like dipshits the entire time.

It's supposed to be a role reversal but it just comes off as classist.

counterpoint: it's a great episode, it does not come off as classist at all unless you have terminal internet poisoning, and it guest stars the hippie teacher from freaks and geeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

counter-counterpoint: le cigare volant!