Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jedit posted:

One of the most CK2 things about CK2 is that immortal women become infertile but immortal men don't. Also that woman who will look like a beautiful teenager until the end of days still stops getting opinion bonuses as soon as she turns 40.

Probably just as well since you'd end up dying in childbirth long before you hit 500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Are there any mods that steal the culture effects of like civ 5/6? I'm getting kinda annoyed at all these hindu dukes around me with their disease ridden 0 hospital negative prosperity counties sitting next to my empire where every county has a hospital, most are level 2 or 3, and literally every county is prospering or flourishing, with no effects.

You'd think 'peasant rebellions rising up to join a propserous neighbor' would be implemented, or at least an increase in revolt risk when a very unhappy unprosperous county is next to a rival very happy very prosperous one.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I'm glad I finally got Legacy of Rome. I had been holding off on it because a lot of the reviews said that having a personal retinue basically breaks the game balance and makes it too easy, but I'm not finding that to be the case. Byz seems to get into just as many civil wars as before I got the DLC, though.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Jedit posted:

One of the most CK2 things about CK2 is that immortal women become infertile but immortal men don't. Also that woman who will look like a beautiful teenager until the end of days still stops getting opinion bonuses as soon as she turns 40.

Pretty sure that's not right, or at least it wasn't at some point. I had a woman who became immortal before turning 40 still able to have kids and have attraction bonuses

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I'm glad I finally got Legacy of Rome. I had been holding off on it because a lot of the reviews said that having a personal retinue basically breaks the game balance and makes it too easy, but I'm not finding that to be the case. Byz seems to get into just as many civil wars as before I got the DLC, though.

At release this was true. Dukes could have huge retinues of like 10k troops if they had the gold. Now it's basically a small raiding force even for an emperor.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Kaza42 posted:

Pretty sure that's not right, or at least it wasn't at some point. I had a woman who became immortal before turning 40 still able to have kids and have attraction bonuses

Yeah, my first immortal was a 42 year old woman, she kept outliving her kids.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Charlz Guybon posted:

I played one game with Holy Fury as Barcelona after it came out, but haven't had time since. Just started a game as the Alexiad, and I'm a bit confused. How is the Byzantine's new Imperial administration supposed to work?

I made a duke a viceroy king of Epirus and his relations with me is 100. Yet he won't vote for me. I'd understand if he was voting for himself, but he's voting for the marshal. Why?

Is the only way to get people to vote for me by buying a favor? How does that work? Does it lock in their vote for two years? Do deceitful characters have a chance to betray their promise?

Manipulating imperial elective is pretty easy, actually. People have to be landed to become a commander, and all commanders have a vote. The Emperor and all councillors also have a vote.

Eligible candidates for election are your relatives (including your wife), your marshal, your commanders, and claimants to the throne.

A lot of things impact how much appeal various candidates have. The massive variety of honorary titles the Byz have now has an impact. High martial is preferred as is being the Marshal. Electors also like diplomacy and intrigue. Your own voting power gets hamstrung by low diplomacy or appointing lovely commanders.

For me though, the best thing to do was breed like rabbits (including matrimarrying to get more males) and educating your family as warriors. This way you get as many good dynastic commanders as possible. Land them, then appoint them commanders. Fill your council and commanders with family. That way most if not all of both the candidate pool as well as the electorate are family, solidifying your family's grip on the empire.

You may not always get the best emperor this way, but it's worked drat well for me. Dealing with a sub-par Basileus occasionally is a fair trade for having an iron grasp on the throne imo, but then I've never cared too much about having awesome rulers all the time.

Wiki article with more details:
https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Imperial_elective

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 31, 2019

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TaurusTorus posted:

Yeah, my first immortal was a 42 year old woman, she kept outliving her kids.

Yeah fertility stays frozen at whatever age they were when they gained immortality. Although the immortality event chain is more likely to fire for older rulers so it's not something you see a lot on women under 45 in the first place.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

My latest game had me getting the flu in March of year 867 with the Old Gods start as a 16 year old female custom ruler. This triggered the Immortal chain, to have Idunn the youthul show up in my court. I'm 107 now, and have a kid on average every 2-3 years. I conquered all of Germany in order to land all my dynasty. Thank you Viking Pope for that GHW.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 1, 2019

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

winterwerefox posted:

My latest game had me getting the flu in March of year 867 with the Old Gods start as a 16 year old female custom ruler. This triggered the Immortal chain, to have Idunn the youthul show up in my court. I'm 107 now, and have a kid on average every 2-3 years. I conquered all of Germany in order to land all my dynasty. Thank you Viking Pope for that GHW.

Man the shitstorm of murders and inbreeding amongst all these children must be insane.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Thanks for recommending the Sicily start rather than Ireland, this feels like a much better introduction to the game since I'm right in the middle of the map and am near most of the major (non-indian) powers.

I did have a few questions though that I wanted to ask:

1. How do you usurp another kingdom's crown? I'd like to get Serbia and possibly Croatia under my belt if I can. I know it has to do with some fancy shuffling with marriages but I'm not sure about the specifics.

2. I have Du Jure territory in the HRE and am unsure how I am able to peel it off of them aside from shiving them in the back while they're engaged in a major war.

3. Is it possible to voluntarily vassalize yourself under an emperor or any other higher level ruler? I might be interested in joining up with either the Byzantines or the HRE depending on how things go.

4. What societies other than the Satanists and Assassin's are worth joining?

5. Is there a penalty to holding Rome as a non-pope catholic like in Eu4?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

AnEdgelord posted:

Thanks for recommending the Sicily start rather than Ireland, this feels like a much better introduction to the game since I'm right in the middle of the map and am near most of the major (non-indian) powers.

1. How do you usurp another kingdom's crown? I'd like to get Serbia and possibly Croatia under my belt if I can. I know it has to do with some fancy shuffling with marriages but I'm not sure about the specifics.

2. I have Du Jure territory in the HRE and am unsure how I am able to peel it off of them aside from shiving them in the back while they're engaged in a major war.

3. Is it possible to voluntarily vassalize yourself under an emperor or any other higher level ruler? I might be interested in joining up with either the Byzantines or the HRE depending on how things go.

4. What societies other than the Satanists and Assassin's are worth joining?

5. Is there a penalty to holding Rome as a non-pope catholic like in Eu4?

1) If you control enough territory within the kingdom there will just be an option to usurp it on the title screen (in place of creating it). There are rules about when you're allowed to do this - you can only usurp a title if the current holder is at peace, and if the title holder is a different religion than you and it's their only high tier title, you can't usurp it unless they don't control ANY of the de jure territory. If you're just trying to generate a CB to take it directly, you would do that by marrying someone with a claim to that title, then letting your heir inherit that claim and pressing it. This can be tricky so sometimes it's easier to just peel off territories over time than to try to shoot for the whole kingdom at once.

2) Just declaring war on them while they're weak is the only way, really. All de jure really means is that you have a permanent claim on that land.

3) Yes, but you can't just offer fealty to anyone - you have to either be a de jure vassal of theirs, or a direct neighbour.

4) The hermetic society is extremely popular because you get a bunch of unique stuff from them. Just never take the mission to go raid someone else's lab - it tends to end with you just stuck in prison forever.

5) No, but if you require the pope to crown you and you control Rome, the Pope will usually demand that you give it to him as payment.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

You're a part of the dejure Byzantine Empire. So you can swear to the Emperor at any time and start plotting away. It also gives you a good opportunity to attack the Papal States.

Don't do that unless you're willing to convert to Orthodoxy though. The Emperor will gently caress with you if you refuse.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Uniting India is a much larger job than initially expected. I'm 300 years into the old gods start and I doubt I'll manage it by the end date.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Been a while since I've done it but it's not so bad. Once you have one of the empire level titles you can invite in kingdom title claimants, land them a barony, then press the claim. Expand one kingdom at a time until you own the subcontinent.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

AnEdgelord posted:

I can help with this one from my own beginner-intermediate attempt at Sicily that had me create the Kingdom of Sicily and win a few crusades. To get those northeastern counties held by the HRE at the start, I found my winning strategy to be fabricating claims on all of them, and then sowing dissent within those counties to hope that when an inevitable rebellion stuck, they would join the revolutions. If they do, then you can press your claims all at once and only have to fight the Rebellion vs HRE proper. Since the rebels are focusing on winning a war against the Kaiser they usually don't have enough levies to fight on two fronts. You can swoop in and rush to 100% warscore and then sue for peace.

Disadvantages: If the rebels lose, your CB becomes invalid and the war ends. Sometimes you may think you're safe to siege and then a 15k doomstack appears to fight your 7k army.

Good luck!

e: question about a strategy like this. if you press claims, to titles held by rebels, and the rebels lose, do you lose your claim?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

Uniting India is a much larger job than initially expected. I'm 300 years into the old gods start and I doubt I'll manage it by the end date.

When I did it I started as a nomad. Starting as someone like Orissa just seems like a massive slog.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Don't forget the old pope-antipope vassal switcheroo once you become Emperor. As Emperor: 1) Give the unlanded true pope some bullshit holding in your realm (a random church should work), 2) Create an antipope. 3) Press the antipope's claim on the newly established papacy of the single bullshit church, and 3) Roll right over said bullshit church, win the war, and your antipope becomes the new pope with fealty to you.

This was a game changer when I learned it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
My Alexiad game is going well

It's 1105 and I've conquered 3 Wallachian duchies and crowned a brother vice-royal King of it. His son now rules there.

I've pressed a vassals claim for Serbia and have conquered two of its duchies.

I had a child lord of Sicily killed in a hunting accident, and my grandson inherited it and swore fealty to me. No one suspects anything, great way to gain the whole island.

I've conquered four Anatolian duchies, including the holy site on Lesbos.

I've conquered five counties on the coast of eastern Libya. I've conquered the county on the very toe of the boot of Italy (Calabri?). Pressed a claim for a county on the east coast of Cherson (Crimean penninsula).

Gained a bloodline for winning 15 foreign wars, I'm now known as the White Knight. That's in addition to the bloodline I start off with for being Alexios.

I've also been beautifying the Hagia Sofia.

Waiting for my second son to come of age. He's a genius.

First son was pretty good, but he has a club foot, so not eligible for the throne. He did sire that grandson that inherited Sicily though. His wife is the eldest daughter of the Duke of Apulia, and now that the only son is dead, either she or the aforementioned grandson will inherit that duchy and I will be able to form the kingdom Sicily.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
And some screenshots of the above

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Just beat back a jihad to take my Libyan territories.

Meanwhile an Orthodox revolt liberated 5 provinces, allowing me to easily vassalize that duke and linking my territory on the south coast of Anatolia with my territory on the east coast.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 2, 2019

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I always like it when I get asked to help somebody convert. It's never anything I plan on conquering anyway. So I just go sure thing lil buddy. :kiddo:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah fertility stays frozen at whatever age they were when they gained immortality. Although the immortality event chain is more likely to fire for older rulers so it's not something you see a lot on women under 45 in the first place.

Unless you have the girl mystic as a true guide. You can't marry her to anyone, but she can become a concubine if your religion permits. If you do so then she will be able to have children normally up to the normal age, upon which she stops having kids and you lose your Nubile Concubine prestige bonus.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So...unlanded son. One of my single count vassals can be imprisoned. 70%chance. I figure imprison, revoke, give it to my son.

.....so he raises an army. Then calls in half the fuckign Realm in to help. Fucks sake. So I stomp. Hire mercs. Finally right st the end of the war loving France declares war to try to steal my brittany territories. loving hell

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

So...unlanded son. One of my single count vassals can be imprisoned. 70%chance. I figure imprison, revoke, give it to my son.

.....so he raises an army. Then calls in half the fuckign Realm in to help. Fucks sake. So I stomp. Hire mercs. Finally right st the end of the war loving France declares war to try to steal my brittany territories. loving hell

Sounds like he was part of a faction and you didn't have a legitimate reason to revoke. If you did have one, I don't think the faction would join in to help because revoking isn't tyrannical in that case.

Mostly just posting this to be corrected if I'm wrong cuz I'm not entirely sure.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Sounds like he was part of a faction and you didn't have a legitimate reason to revoke. If you did have one, I don't think the faction would join in to help because revoking isn't tyrannical in that case.

Mostly just posting this to be corrected if I'm wrong cuz I'm not entirely sure.

It's def faction shenanigans but I don't know if they care if it was justified so much as just react in a now or never fashion.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Unless you have the girl mystic as a true guide. You can't marry her to anyone, but she can become a concubine if your religion permits. If you do so then she will be able to have children normally up to the normal age, upon which she stops having kids and you lose your Nubile Concubine prestige bonus.

I'd imagine the fertility freezing thing is probably a separate value that gets set on your character by the event when you complete it, not actually connected to the "immortal" trait, so NPCs that come with it pregen may not benefit from it. Does she still age visually?

Actually that seems like it'd be an interesting thing to test by just consoling the immortal trait on to a character and seeing if/how it behaves differently than when you become immortal through the event chain.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
PIcked up all the DLC from the humble bundle. Started as a duke in southern Italy, inherited a fragmented Lombardy, and now trying to figure out what to do with all my duchy titles. I have 5 or 6 right now, which is causing a significant vassal penalty, but I'm pretty popular and was crowned by the Pope himself so everyone tends to still like me. Figuring out who to hand out all my titles to is kinda frustrating though. I have some rich land in the southern side of Italy that used I completely control but my primary territory is now in Northern Italy. What should I be giving away, and how do I make sure they're not powerful enough that I regret it later?

Or should I just stick with the penalties as long as everyone likes me? My heir is an unlanded nincompoop, but gavelkind succession means all my stuff will get split between sons anyways. Or is giving my heir a bunch of sibling dukes beneath him even more trouble?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
You’re gonna get different answers, but personal preference is to give land to dynasty members. 6 duchies is insane.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dee Ehm posted:

What should I be giving away, and how do I make sure they're not powerful enough that I regret it later?

If you're concerned about the balance of power in your realm, diffuse it. You can always invite a holy man via the decisions menu, and he will always be good at learning but virtually nothing else. Giving spare duchies to these guys, if possible, is generally solid because their vassals will seize the opportunity to scheme against them instead of you. Other options include counts with only one county, who will be in the same boat.

It's usually best not to hold a bunch of duchies as a king because that penalty is murderous and will eventually become literally so as claimants take a shot at you.

quote:

My heir is an unlanded nincompoop

Evergreen CK2.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hey, noob question. I'm doing the recommended Ireland start and by the time I get up to 250 prestige and can attack somebody I've lost most of my land thanks to gavelkind inheritance. Any thoughts?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Have you tried not dying?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I couldn't get the king I got right out of the gate to live long enough to accrue 250.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Real answer: I think you're using one of the Jade Dragon casus belli (CB) to declare war since they cost prestige. Use a different CB and you shouldn't have the prestige requirement. You can get a good CB by having your chancellor forge claims on a county or duchy.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hey, noob question. I'm doing the recommended Ireland start and by the time I get up to 250 prestige and can attack somebody I've lost most of my land thanks to gavelkind inheritance. Any thoughts?

Before you do a single thing in game, go to your laws tab. You should be able to immediately switch to Tannistry succession law at the very start.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

McGavin posted:

Real answer: I think you're using one of the Jade Dragon casus belli (CB) to declare war since they cost prestige. Use a different CB and you shouldn't have the prestige requirement. You can get a good CB by having your chancellor forge claims on a county or duchy.

Aha! That's what I get for buying the Humble Bundle DLC without comprehending its contents. Thanks. Starting anew.

Okay, I went immediately to the Laws tab, and the buttons for both Elective Gavelkind and Tanistry are greyed out. I can't change them until I've reigned 10 years. But I'll put that high on my agenda.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 3, 2019

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Aha! That's what I get for buying the Humble Bundle DLC without comprehending its contents. Thanks. Starting anew.

Okay, I went immediately to the Laws tab, and the buttons for both Elective Gavelkind and Tanistry are greyed out. I can't change them until I've reigned 10 years. But I'll put that high on my agenda.

My bad, that worked last time I did a Ireland run I'm pretty sure. You will probably be able to switch to it soon if you fulfill the requirements in the tooltip when you hover over it.

Also, not sure if you're already doing this, but the Ireland start is the easy start at 1066. Gets harder in earlier years.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Honestly if you're as early in your game as I suspect you are it might be worth considering starting over and hitting tanistry.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

trapped mouse posted:

Also, not sure if you're already doing this, but the Ireland start is the easy start at 1066. Gets harder in earlier years.
Ohhhhh. Yup. I'm at 775.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ohhhhh. Yup. I'm at 775.

The proper Ireland start is in 1066. The earliest start date isn't really that great as Ireland.