Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

DS9 is the homo trek

Full Gay Space Romulism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
seriously if someone says their favorite trek is DS9, they use comic sans ironically and theyre gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I'm liking about Janeway so far, at least in the first season, is that she's kind of trying to be the Captain Mom type simply because they are all stuck there in the middle of nowhere for possibly their entire lives and she's just trying to forge bonds with people to help them cope. Little moments like her geeking out with Torres about how to solve the tech problem when she is considering who to make Chief Engineer early on, or her and Chakotay chatting on the bridge about spirit guides, help that idea nicely. Her catchphrase is less "Engage" or "Get it done" but more often "Let's try it."

And when I say Captain Mom I don't mean it in the Dr Crusher way, it's more that she knows she needs to hold things together herself and help the crews start to form bonds with each other.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 2, 2019

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CptAwesome posted:

drat, they really just left O'Brien with 20 years of prison memories? I was expecting some kind of resolution or the slate to be wiped clean. That was genuinely unsettling.

Potatoes O'Dyin

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pick posted:

seriously if someone says their favorite trek is DS9, they use comic sans ironically and theyre gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

am i still allowed to do those things if my favorite is tng?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

corn in the bible posted:

am i still allowed to do those things if my favorite is tng?

I mean it's also true if someone just posts here

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
the more sci fi I watch in general the queerer it seems to make me, like my spirit animal is now jane badler from V

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

Tos: golden age sci fi
TNg: 90s Marriott hotel sci fi
DS9: :gay:
Voyager: like a badly run small business sci fi
Enterprise: :dong:

Voyager is ultra dotcom-boom, like arguably one of the most important two-parters of the show (where the doctor gets his ~mobile emitter~) is dominated by some tech company CEO, the ship's captain is obsessed with coffee, and there's even a whole loving episode about a roving band of super-intelligent consultants in space.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tighclops posted:

the more sci fi I watch in general the queerer it seems to make me, like my spirit animal is now jane badler from V

A coochie moya

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I mean, this kind of feels like cheating. Not unlike the "lesbian" kiss.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No cheating only universal porkery

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
infinite diversity in infinite combinations

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I'm liking about Janeway so far, at least in the first season, is that she's kind of trying to be the Captain Mom type simply because they are all stuck there in the middle of nowhere for possibly their entire lives and she's just trying to forge bonds with people to help them cope. Little moments like her geeking out with Torres about how to solve the tech problem when she is considering who to make Chief Engineer early on, or her and Chakotay chatting on the bridge about spirit guides, help that idea nicely. Her catchphrase is less "Engage" or "Get it done" but more often "Let's try it."

And when I say Captain Mom I don't mean it in the Dr Crusher way, it's more that she knows she needs to hold things together herself and help the crews start to form bonds with each other.

Someone post warp particles. I thought it'd be an easy google but I can't find it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
You see, everyone seems to make fun of that scene but I thought it was cute.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Someone post warp particles. I thought it'd be an easy google but I can't find it.

BioEnchanted posted:

You see, everyone seems to make fun of that scene but I thought it was cute.

I was fine with the scene character-wise, but I'm enough of a hopeless nerd to be pissed off that they were veering away from the (mostly) self-consistent technobabble terms we'd come to know and love. That's the moment where the writers threw up their hands and said gently caress it, we'll just make up different technobabble every time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ensign Seska is an idiot. That seems to be her entire character. Just Chaotic with not much else going on.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Pick posted:

What if they use Comic Sans UNironically?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Of course, Seska's a cardassian. No wonder she's so chaotic evil for no real reason.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Powered Descent posted:

I was fine with the scene character-wise, but I'm enough of a hopeless nerd to be pissed off that they were veering away from the (mostly) self-consistent technobabble terms we'd come to know and love. That's the moment where the writers threw up their hands and said gently caress it, we'll just make up different technobabble every time.

Right. Like I know, technobabble on star trek, so what? But nothing they'd ever come up with before then was remotely that dumb.

Plus the acting in the whole scene is so godawful.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

BioEnchanted posted:

Of course, Seska's a cardassian. No wonder she's so chaotic evil for no real reason.

Specifically, a Cardassian masquerading as a Bajoran. It's her impression of them.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

BioEnchanted posted:

Ensign Seska is an idiot. That seems to be her entire character. Just Chaotic with not much else going on.

First time watching through?

BioEnchanted posted:

There it is. I would be delighted to hear all of your first time thoughts as you go through Voyager.

Orv
May 4, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Oh you think Seska is dumb now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is What We Left Behind available anywhere at all? There was no theatrical release around me and I only see listings for it being sold on DVD and Blu-Ray. I haven't had an optical drive in like a decade. Can't find it on The Internet either.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Grand Fromage posted:

Is What We Left Behind available anywhere at all? There was no theatrical release around me and I only see listings for it being sold on DVD and Blu-Ray. I haven't had an optical drive in like a decade. Can't find it on The Internet either.

http://www.treknews.net/2019/08/02/deep-space-nine-doc-what-we-left-behind-slated-for-digital-release/

quote:

the DS9 documentary will be available on Blu-ray, DVD and digitally (through iTunes and other content providers) beginning next Tuesday, August 6.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I saw it, and first thing you notice is boy did they get old or what?

Some other stuff:

it starts off with none other than Andrew Robinson in an ill fitting suit introducing the rest of the documentary, no makeup but slyly acting a little like Garak

the big battle redone in HD is super gorgeous

some of the actors are somewhat upset over being 'the middle child' Trek

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 3, 2019

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Sir Lemming posted:

I mean, this kind of feels like cheating. Not unlike the "lesbian" kiss.

Eh, I have the occasional issue with how "pan" gets tossed around, but I could totally see Jadzia being one.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Binary Badger posted:

some of the actors are somewhat upset over being 'the middle child' Trek

I would be too. I saw this timeline the other day:

I never realized that DS9 only had one season to stand on its own as the sole Trek show (or that there was only an 8 month gap between the end of TNG and the start of VOY.) The first season gets overshadowed by the wildly popular TNG and then once DS9 is hitting its stride, here comes the new hotness.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I didn't realize Enterprise and DS9 were so close, I think of Enterprise happening a year or two after Voyager finished.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes and when Voyager started production it got almost all of the attention from the Paramount higher-ups since it was going to be the main draw of UPN

Also Berman and Co did not really understand what Behr and Piller were doing with DS9

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Now I'm reminded of the BBC America commercial that ran through all of Voyager's treknobabble in like 30 seconds, interrupted at one point by Chakotay's "Now let me get this straight."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Pick posted:

Tos: golden age sci fi
TNg: 90s Marriott hotel sci fi
DS9: :gay:
Voyager: like a badly run small business sci fi
Enterprise: :dong:

DISCO: :catdrugs:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

This is accurate whether or not you like it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I thought it was :shroom:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t know if it’s just the “backer’s edition” copy but the Blu-ray of What We Left Behind I just got has a much better cover than the one you usually see. Instead of Behr doing the whole hand pose thing it’s a shot of Sisko’s baseball on his desk in front of his computer screen. The back of the insert is a not great but not terrible cartoon drawing of Sisko standing in front of his office window looking... contemplatively tired? Hard to say. In any case it’s a much better cover than I was expecting.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Lester Shy posted:

I would be too. I saw this timeline the other day:

I never realized that DS9 only had one season to stand on its own as the sole Trek show (or that there was only an 8 month gap between the end of TNG and the start of VOY.) The first season gets overshadowed by the wildly popular TNG and then once DS9 is hitting its stride, here comes the new hotness.

VOY and Enterprise overlapped??

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Pick posted:

I had to check and they did not. Voyager ended in spring 2001, Enterprise replaced it in fall of 2001.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Pick posted:

The graph probably shows production, not airing. The Voyager finale was shown on May 23, 2001 and the Enterprise premiere was a few months later on September 26.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

8 episodes into a watch through of TOS and holy moly do the 1960's and Gene Roddenberry combine to make some cringe worthy scenes.

Also I love that they come across an exact replica of Earth with the same continents and everything and no one really seems to give a poo poo about how or why it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Hold up, hold up. Odo is effectively only 11 years old at the start of DS9?! He doesn’t remember anything before the Bajorans found him, so he’s only experienced eleven years of life. Jake Sisko is older than him!

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 3, 2019