Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sanguinary Novel posted:

So I started using the CBD oil and it's really early yet, but it seems to be helping! It'll take a little longer to get a clearer picture and sort out what is a placebo effect, but I managed to draw something tonight and not explode into tears. The best I can explain it is that the CBD throws a blanket over it. You still have to deal with the problems underneath, but it puts a little distance between and blunts(hah) the sharp edges. Like having a cup to help you take a spider outdoors, instead of wrangling it with your hands; less likely to bite you and quicker/easier to deal with.

I started using CBD oil a few days ago to help me sleep and it seems to work pretty well for me too. It takes the edge off at night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Sanguinary Novel posted:

So I started using the CBD oil and it's really early yet, but it seems to be helping! [...] The best I can explain it is that the CBD throws a blanket over it. You still have to deal with the problems underneath, but it puts a little distance between and blunts(hah) the sharp edges

awesome stuff, that is exactly how certain medications work for some people (myself included): "blunting" sensitivity is a good thing when it frequently overwhelms you to the point of It Is Just Too Much, and is a very good thing to perceive that as figuring out a balance rather than "Oh no I am losing my emotions" (which is very untrue)

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Tcg player got back to me, interview at 10 AM Wednesday

Fffff

congrats dude. making it to the in person interview where you can make an actual impression on the folks doing the hiring is like the biggest job hunting hurdle. I imagine it’ll be easy for you with your existing knowledge, all you can really do is try to learn as much about the way they work beforehand to put together some good questions. I’m pretty sure my current job is because I was attentive during the interviews and came prepared with detailed information about our program and procedures.

also my date last night went great, she kissed me and invited me up to her apartment but I had been at work all day and was gross so I didn’t, but we’re gonna spend the day together on Monday. I’ve mentioned how lonely I’ve been lately itt before and it’s nice to have someone to talk to like we have been the past week or so. I’m really hoping it wasn’t just a fluke and she remains interested. she’s like really cute, is totally onboard with ACAB and cspam style politics, works at a head shop summers and teaches theater at my old high school during the year, and is basically like just extremely cool and someone I would want to be friends with either way but she actually seems to have a reciprocal romantic interest in me

I had almost forgotten what it was like to be in a good mood that wasn’t just on account of being super baked or like beating a boss in dark souls. it’s cool

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I finally have a CPAP machine to fight off my sleep apnea, and I definitely have more energy now after using it for a week or so. Unfortunately my brain problems also have more energy, and my intrusive thoughts are getting more creative. It used to be a standard litany of "you are filth and no one likes you" that I knew how to challenge in a healthy way. Then last night I sit down and start to relax and my brain goes

"Hey

Hey

If somebody wrapped you up in a heavy blanket and threw you in a lake do you think you'd be able to survive and escape

What would that feel like, do you think"

Which is certainly new and interesting :stare:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Goon Danton posted:

I finally have a CPAP machine to fight off my sleep apnea, and I definitely have more energy now after using it for a week or so. Unfortunately my brain problems also have more energy, and my intrusive thoughts are getting more creative. It used to be a standard litany of "you are filth and no one likes you" that I knew how to challenge in a healthy way. Then last night I sit down and start to relax and my brain goes

"Hey

Hey

If somebody wrapped you up in a heavy blanket and threw you in a lake do you think you'd be able to survive and escape

I suppose that’s less disturbing than just berating yourself, but is it possible if you like, take a melatonin or read for awhile before bed, to get to sleep faster / thinking about something cheerful instead of terrifying?

that sucks to hear dude, it’s amazing how solving one problem can just make others feel more obvious

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Oh that was in the afternoon when I got home from work, lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Frog Act posted:

congrats dude. making it to the in person interview where you can make an actual impression on the folks doing the hiring is like the biggest job hunting hurdle. I imagine it’ll be easy for you with your existing knowledge, all you can really do is try to learn as much about the way they work beforehand to put together some good questions. I’m pretty sure my current job is because I was attentive during the interviews and came prepared with detailed information about our program and procedures.

also my date last night went great, she kissed me and invited me up to her apartment but I had been at work all day and was gross so I didn’t, but we’re gonna spend the day together on Monday. I’ve mentioned how lonely I’ve been lately itt before and it’s nice to have someone to talk to like we have been the past week or so. I’m really hoping it wasn’t just a fluke and she remains interested. she’s like really cute, is totally onboard with ACAB and cspam style politics, works at a head shop summers and teaches theater at my old high school during the year, and is basically like just extremely cool and someone I would want to be friends with either way but she actually seems to have a reciprocal romantic interest in me

I had almost forgotten what it was like to be in a good mood that wasn’t just on account of being super baked or like beating a boss in dark souls. it’s cool

Nice dude - dating is the Dark Souls of life

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

turn off the TV posted:

can anyone with depersonslization describe what it's like to jo must be weird af but maybe cool tho

not really. Imagine watching a TV of your life except you aren't fully there to watch it, the TV is just kind of on and the POV is going through the motions

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Goon Danton posted:

"Hey

Hey

sup CPAP buddy (except I have an APAP :smug:)

it's not all bad, once the chronic fatigue settles down you can see what was rampaging through your brain causing a bunch of problems and finally (try to?) DO SOMETHING about it

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Oh I already know what the rampaging is, I got diagnosed with PTSD last month. I'm making progress in several directions, but their effects on each other are just weird sometimes.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Nice dude - dating is the Dark Souls of life

lmao

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Frog Act posted:

your friend sounds pretty kick rear end. congrats on what sounds like a pretty successful first date

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ugato posted:

your friend sounds pretty kick rear end. congrats on what sounds like a pretty successful first date

thanks dude. she totally is, its unbelievable, been trading blackadder quotes and texting all day, i'm kind of smitten. she wakes up later than me and i was slightly concerned i might get ghosted again but then she texted me a picture of some honey buns with "you dropped your name tag" and it hella improved my mood. i'm a decent conversationalist but i like never run into people with whom I can just talk for long periods of time and actually dig it.

i'm trying not to just use this thread as a lame rear end blog or anything but i like the posters in here and i was a complete depressive mess when it first went up, so i'm trying to post some good things when they happen. i know i like it when i see fellow brain hosed goons in here have a positive post to make so just doin my part

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Leaving for work today I get an email from the place I'm interviewing saying we've moved on in the selection process and you weren't picked

And my heart fuckin stopped

It was for another position I applied for three seconds before this one lmao

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
i know that feeling

searching for a job is loving horrifying. constantly getting shot down and second guessing my education. self worth at an all-time low

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
To be clear, I was getting turned down for another entry level spot at the company, and not the one I had just accepted an interview for

It's just really funnt because of the timing

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Frog Act posted:

i'm trying not to just use this thread as a lame rear end blog or anything but i like the posters in here and i was a complete depressive mess when it first went up, so i'm trying to post some good things when they happen. i know i like it when i see fellow brain hosed goons in here have a positive post to make so just doin my part

positive posts are good. we're all gonna have issues along the way, but seeing the peaks as well as the valleys really helps.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
I think if the blanket was just rolled up, not tied with something, you could get free if you didn't panic. You could be mindful of which way it's wound and try to wiggle around the other direction to loosen it, then swim away.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redsniper posted:

I think if the blanket was just rolled up, not tied with something, you could get free if you didn't panic. You could be mindful of which way it's wound and try to wiggle around the other direction to loosen it, then swim away.

avoiding panic is like the #1 first step in any survival situation and it is also the hardest to get right

which is why military and survival training do so many repetitive drills, to make the process as rote as possible so you do not have to think

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
crosspost from the FDRUMP thread:

My cats go absolutely batshit over these things, so I'm going to get some dowel rods from Michael's and see if I can cobble together a working wand. If so I may have something I can actually sell on Etsy :raise:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

so i did some heavy duty EMDR work today on one of my traumas and whoa boy that took everything i had. I am exhausted beyond belief like i ran a marathon.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zyla posted:

so i did some heavy duty EMDR work today on one of my traumas and whoa boy that took everything i had. I am exhausted beyond belief like i ran a marathon.

take care of yourself friend,

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Regards my real raging drug addiction, I broke my cafetiere and had the choice of instant (yuck) or digging out the stovetop espresso pot. Went for the latter and the upside is (besides a great taste) even after half a cup I feel like I necked a bunch of ADHD meds, unfortunately my gut feels like a hot angry snake is smashing through it and I literally have the shakes a bit

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
hi cspam. I’m really sad. :(

I need to go back to seeing a therapist and taking my meds regularly but it’s so hard to motivate myself.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I'm running a 5k race this morning. Wish me luck goons

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

hi cspam. I’m really sad. :(

I need to go back to seeing a therapist and taking my meds regularly but it’s so hard to motivate myself.

Start with what's easiest. Do you have your meds but aren't taking them? Try tying them in with something you already do every day, like taking them with a meal or right before you brush your teeth. Hopefully the meds will help stabilize things to where looking for a therapist becomes easier.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Goon Danton posted:

Start with what's easiest. Do you have your meds but aren't taking them? Try tying them in with something you already do every day, like taking them with a meal or right before you brush your teeth. Hopefully the meds will help stabilize things to where looking for a therapist becomes easier.

I do have them and have been taking them sporadically. I have a job right now that requires me to switch shifts and have a chaotic schedule so taking them at the same time every day is effectively impossible, on top of my bad schedule-ness.

Also I moved across the country which is why I need a new therapist.

I just want to go home and sleep for 3 days but right now I’m going on day 6 in a row of work with no end in sight because I have to cover for my coworker due to a family death.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I suck, there was somethijg planned by this association i go to today and i didnt go, this kimd of poo poo sucks

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I really need a new therapist

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
finally had the time and emotional head space to watch the new Ollie Thorn video and i'm utterly astounded. as someone with PTSD who survived a traumatic childhood, it was incredible to watch someone reflect even just a modicum of your experiences. Ollie is a loving treasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeGEv0YVLtw

If you're a dude and survived some poo poo, and haven't figured out how to deal, or even if you have, this video will utterly run you through in the best way, but warning because it's intense.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
That video absolutely wrecked me. It's so very good, but that first part where he's still in the Superman shirt brought up a lot of memories and feelings.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Lightning Knight posted:

I do have them and have been taking them sporadically. I have a job right now that requires me to switch shifts and have a chaotic schedule so taking them at the same time every day is effectively impossible, on top of my bad schedule-ness.

I had a friend with this problem and her birth control. she’d set a hard alarm and carry it with her so she could take it whenever it went off. if you can slip away to the bathroom for a few minutes with a bottle of water or something and take it then, you’ll be able to get into a rhythm. in theory

take meds though all day erry day, meds are good

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Hey y'all. Been reading this thread for a while. It's good seeing folks back each other up against our brains being dumbasses.

I'm an anxiety sufferer myself. From what we can tell it's comorbid with me being on the spectrum, which I literally didn't have any official diagnosis of until about three or four years ago. (I'm 36 now.) I've had to hit urgent care a couple of times for it; once when I first started in my Ph.D program, and the other during 2016 GEE I WONDER WHY. Thankfully, I don't have depression to go with it. Or, as I stated during my second Urgent Care visit:

Doctor: Do you have suicidal ideation?
Me: No, I don't WANT to die, I'm AFRAID of dying.

I don't know if this will help others much, but for me whenever I get panicked about bad things happening -- which happens a lot if you read SA, welp -- I've started deliberately seeking out what they call "constructive news." I've seen some links to similar here and in the Happy News thread, but I don't think I've seen it addressed specifically by that name. Basically, it's not "huffing our own farts news," but rather just news that reminds us that hey, all that lovely stuff we hear about? People actually ARE doing things about it. It's remarkably helpful, especially since we focus so much on the obstructionist assholes in the mainstream media.

A few sources I've used or started using:

Positive.news - supposedly the Ur-Constructive News site
Yes! Magazine - Maybe not QUITE as good (it's a bit "liberal") but still handy.

Again, I don't know if this helps, but there has apparently been evidence that balancing out all the media bullshit with actual solutions-based news can help with some of those niggling doom and gloom feelings. Works for me, at least.

Anyway, just thought I'd try to contribute a little for y'all. Hope everybody has a good evening.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dragomorph posted:

Positive.news - supposedly the Ur-Constructive News site
Yes! Magazine - Maybe not QUITE as good (it's a bit "liberal") but still handy.

That was a really good post not gonna lie

I’m gonna take a look at these after the movie and decide if I need to add to the op. thanks!

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

whoops I'm an idiot with bad opinions and should't share them even if i'm trying to help fellow brain problem havers

Zeriel has issued a correction as of 00:06 on Aug 4, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zeriel posted:

APNews is about the least lovely source of news. It's as close to real journalism that exists in this year of our lol 2019.
this isn't the thread for it

but no

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
so today in therapy I learned that I expend what little energy I have physically into useless tasks and distractions to avoid facing the trauma in my pas. that’s why I have agoraphobia, I’m literally out of emotional energy and am withdrawing to try to heal which isn’t working bc, you know, past trauma

lol mental illness loooool

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Dragomorph posted:

Again, I don't know if this helps, but there has apparently been evidence that balancing out all the media bullshit with actual solutions-based news can help with some of those niggling doom and gloom feelings. Works for me, at least.

Anyway, just thought I'd try to contribute a little for y'all. Hope everybody has a good evening.

I would elaborate on this awesome protip by actually tuning off from news in general and let "the world" in general inform you, at least for a long interval, like 4-6 weeks and see how it goes

yes, that includes twitter, ESPECIALLY twitter

(IMO, not having facebook anymore and cutting news has probably gave me a lot more of a fighting condition because I couldn't condition my thinking through reactive processes - I am thinking about cutting instagram 100% too, but I am still pondering if its worth it)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

so today in therapy I learned that I expend what little energy I have physically into useless tasks and distractions to avoid facing the trauma in my pas. that’s why I have agoraphobia, I’m literally out of emotional energy and am withdrawing to try to heal which isn’t working bc, you know, past trauma

lol mental illness loooool

you mean that is troublesome for you to, like, "oh no I am feeling bad, but I don't want to, I am going to do something!" to avoid emotional digestion?

hell yeah bro, totes understand that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

you mean that is troublesome for you to, like, "oh no I am feeling bad, but I don't want to, I am going to do something!" to avoid emotional digestion?

hell yeah bro, totes understand that

yes and then follow it with “I don’t seem to have the energy to do anything and now I feel bad because of it”

eesh