Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

codo27 posted:

Mom and fiancee get that poo poo and they dont use gently caress all. I keep adding data on as deals arise and I keep using it. I went from 2gb start of last year or something like "nobody needs more than this", switched to 8 last month and I just got my 50% warning. I dont think I've gotten a single text offer. I'm black listed or some poo poo.

Selling data upgrades to people that barely use their data is free money. Selling data upgrades to heavy data users is a revenue loss since they would rather you get a higher margin plan with tons of bolted on poo poo that you don’t need just to get more data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

cowofwar posted:

Selling data upgrades to people that barely use their data is free money. Selling data upgrades to heavy data users is a revenue loss since they would rather you get a higher margin plan with tons of bolted on poo poo that you don’t need just to get more data.

The cost of traffic is pennies, the reason they don't offer more for less is because that was the upsell for many years. If mass data becomes ubiquitous for a low price, how will they bend you over?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Risky Bisquick posted:

how will they bend you over?

Because there's no competition and the government is complicit regardless of the current ruling party. :negative:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm in the great position of needing a new phone (currently on a dying iPhone 5S) and moving back to Canada so needing a new plan.

This poo poo appears to suck, is my understanding.

Generally looking at 256gb iPhone XS, most places are charging $1200-$1900 one way or another but Best Buy has some for $650ish on 2 year plans with the major carriers. Is there a catch there that they aren't showing me online that'll become readily apparent when I go to the store?

I'm assuming about $75/mo for data, mostly just trying to skim down the costs of the new phone itself. I've been on a 2GB plan for years without going over but that's also treated Spotify/Netflix traffic as free, so the 10GB plans I see everywhere sound like they'd fit the bill.

e: Alberta since that matters

Pleads fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 20, 2019

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
You pay more for your cell plan to cover the balance of the phone. A normal $75 plan is $95. Etc.

Nothing is free, there’s no catch. It’s basically an interest free loan and you’re forced into contract unless you pay out the balance

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

gently caress. Canadian. Telecom.

Nationalise that poo poo, you loving cowards.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Nitr0 posted:

You pay more for your cell plan to cover the balance of the phone. A normal $75 plan is $95. Etc.

Nothing is free, there’s no catch. It’s basically an interest free loan and you’re forced into contract unless you pay out the balance

Ahh yeah that figures. Hmm.

So sounds like I'm better off finding the cheapest outright purchase I can so I can shop BYOD deals instead of locking in to 2 years.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well, maybe. The trick is that carriers will periodically discount how much you need to repay on phones to win your business, too, so you can potentially save a few hundred through a carrier in addition to the interest free loan.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Well gently caress, man.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Case in point: I'm paying $120 ($6/mo) for an LG G7 (seven, not 8) on Freedom over 2 years, on top of a $55/mo plan (-$5 off that for digital discount).

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

James Baud posted:

Well, maybe. The trick is that carriers will periodically discount how much you need to repay on phones to win your business, too, so you can potentially save a few hundred through a carrier in addition to the interest free loan.

The extra trick to this is that they're now all required to allow a no-fee cancellation within 15 days. So buy your discount phone on a plan, wait a day or two and then cancel it, you'll only pay the discounted balance and no extra fees. Then you can take your unlocked phone to any plan you'd like.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So apparently all Koodo customers who got the 10 gigs for $14 offer can (jump through minor hoops - see thread summary under OP - and) change their plans to a $25 unlimited Canada-wide voice/text/0-data plan and then accept the offer, yielding unlimited calls and 10GB data for 39/mo.

edit: wait, the OP says "until July 21st" ... I've had the tab open for a while, unsure whether that's accurate.

James Baud fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 23, 2019

mewse
May 2, 2006

James Baud posted:

So apparently all Koodo customers who got the 10 gigs for $14 offer can (jump through minor hoops - see thread summary under OP - and) change their plans to a $25 unlimited Canada-wide voice/text/0-data plan and then accept the offer, yielding unlimited calls and 10GB data for 39/mo.

edit: wait, the OP says "until July 21st" ... I've had the tab open for a while, unsure whether that's accurate.

It describes a method you could do without talking to an agent to throw a refurb phone in the cart and switch to the $25 tab small plan, but 1) there are no refurb phones that give you money back any more from what I can see 2) the lowest tab small plan I can see is $35 rather than $25

So it seems like this may have run its course already

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What's the consensus on Freedom mobile?

They recently moved to my city and have a promo for their "Big Gig Unlimited" which is 10GB of LTE for $45.

quote:

Be one of the first to take advantage of this exclusive offer: save $15/month for 24 months on our Big Gig Unlimited + Talk plans. That means, for just $45/month1, with Digital Discount2, you get 10GB of fast Freedom LTE data3, plus unlimited Canada-wide calling and global text!

I am presently on public mobile and use about 2GB (3G) in a month, but a significant reason of that is because I'm home and just do all my updates/downloads on my home network.

I do a fair amount of highway driving and will be between Freedom networks quite a bit, but probably won't do much data when I'm between them.

Thoughts?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'm in Vancouver and switched from Rogers to them about 4 weeks ago. To be perfectly honest, I've not noticed a difference in practical terms. Works like a champ.

When I have switched to the National network (and it appears as "National" in the network name) then my phone shuts off data because it thinks I'm roaming. I could enable data roaming to get round that but I'm not inclined to leave that in in case I forget on a USA trip.

Also, if you do go with them, get a new phone directly from them to be certain about network compatibility. I don't say this because a non-Freedom purchased device cannot possibly work with them (fully at least), I say it because determining such a thing is maddening.

Also, just to be on the safe side, cross check that whatever phone model you want has LTE Band 66. If purchased Freedom most should.

If you want a cheap decent phone, I picked up the LG G7 ThinQ for $6/mo (aka $144 by the end of the contract). Note that's the G7, not the G8.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

slidebite posted:

What's the consensus on Freedom mobile?

They recently moved to my city and have a promo for their "Big Gig Unlimited" which is 10GB of LTE for $45.

I am presently on public mobile and use about 2GB (3G) in a month, but a significant reason of that is because I'm home and just do all my updates/downloads on my home network.

I do a fair amount of highway driving and will be between Freedom networks quite a bit, but probably won't do much data when I'm between them.

Thoughts?

Are you in Lethbridge? If so, they're fine unless you live on the outskirts or in the northern part of town. I was told they plan on rapidly expanding in the area, whatever that means.

If you're in Kelowna (I think that's their only other recent city?) then no idea, sorry.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Doing a quick glance at the coverage map, it's not great for the sub 100k cities:
Up to date as of the beginning of the month: https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/network-and-coverage/coverage

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the input folks.

Nairbo posted:

Are you in Lethbridge? If so, they're fine unless you live on the outskirts or in the northern part of town. I was told they plan on rapidly expanding in the area, whatever that means.
I am in Lethbridge. I actually live just outside of town and might be dicey with their full-bore Freedom network - but by work days are almost completely in Lethbridge or Medicine Hat (or, in between which means I will be in National).

I'm really on the fence with this - I like the idea of 4G data but to be fair the 3G is usually more than good enough for me as I don't stream anything on my cell.

Is it still unlimited voice off the freedom network? That will definitely impact my decision.

e: I just checked out Public Mobile's latest offerings and found this - pretty drat appealing considering I go to the US with some regularity.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Get-8-5-GB-at-3G-speed-2-GB-of-US-Data-UL-Canada-US-Talk-amp/m-p/396544

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 7, 2019

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Yes, Unlimited Voice and Messaging on the Nationwide (i.e. Roaming) network with Freedom within Canada

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I ended up going with the Public Mobile 8.5GB w US Roaming & 2GB of US Data. With my loyalty and autopay discounts works out to $55/month and my company reimburses me for $50. The US Roaming was the clincher for me. 2GB is more than I use in Canada in a typical month, let alone the US.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How do you manage with 3g?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

If 3g is anything like pre-acquisition Wind Mobile, it would be nearly unbearable trash.
So glad I moved to a provider using LTE.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wait, that's just 3G? Yeah gently caress no haha, not in 2019.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have no problem. I can stream 720p youtube just fine on it (I think 1080p too?) and all my email attachments come down in a second. Since it's on the telus Network it's very reliable too so :shrug:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 12, 2019

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Public "3G speed" is 4G LTE with the speed capped at 3mbps. Fine to use because you get all the latency improvements of LTE and the speed advertised is actually delivered.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Well what about Lucky mobile then

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Dunno, Bell doesn't have anything publicly posted (that I could find at least.)

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I think I need to start buying my cell phones in the US ... Both the original Pixel and the Nexus 5x have had class action lawsuits that pay out at least several hundred dollars to US customers affected by reasonably common hardware problems and I definitely was affected by both.

No money for me though, just the free warranty replacements/repairs. Boo!

James Baud fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 17, 2019

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Apparently Koodo is offering people 20GB/$75 plans. There's a thread on RFD: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/koodo-ymmv-koodo-75-20gb-2305730/7/

They called me and offered it, it didn't even click to me that this is sought-after. Since I only use about ~6GB/mo and I'm on 10GB/$60, to me just felt like an abuse of my customer file to call me with an upsell.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

James Baud posted:

So I think I need to start buying my cell phones in the US ...

I bought mine in the states and because of this I can turn off amber alerts. And severe deadly weather alerts. Dying in a hurricane = freedom :911:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

You of all people should be aware of when pool-flipping scenarios may occur in your area.

(If you know a realtor apparently they have pretty good family/friends plans available, like $50 for unlimited text/calls in north america + 5GB)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

James Baud posted:

So I think I need to start buying my cell phones in the US ... Both the original Pixel and the Nexus 5x have had class action lawsuits that pay out at least several hundred dollars to US customers affected by reasonably common hardware problems and I definitely was affected by both.

I have a US phone, and the warranty specifically won't be honoured in Canada.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Scudworth posted:

I bought mine in the states and because of this I can turn off amber alerts. And severe deadly weather alerts. Dying in a hurricane = freedom :911:

Please don't turn off emergency alerts :(

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

James Baud posted:

Deliberately buying a poo poo phone that will have the manufacturer sued in order to get a $5 settlement cheque seems kind of galaxy brained.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cowofwar posted:

Deliberately buying a poo poo phone that will have the manufacturer sued in order to get a $5 settlement cheque seems kind of galaxy brained.

We're all going to buy whatever we end up buying either way, might as well benefit from the extremely litigious society they have going on down there in cases where unit sales in Canada weren't enough (?) to get lawyers paid if you chance into a lemon.

Better part of $1000 reward for past inconvenience "lost" by virtue of buying those phones in Canada is enough to make me grumble.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Your warranty from the US won't be valid in Canada. So you may chance getting a future settlement many years after the fact from a class action lawsuit if you bought another bad phone that you wouldn't be able to RMA while it was having the issues.....?

Another stellar idea from James Bad.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CLAM DOWN posted:

Your warranty from the US won't be valid in Canada. So you may chance getting a future settlement many years after the fact from a class action lawsuit if you bought another bad phone that you wouldn't be able to RMA while it was having the issues.....?

Another stellar idea from James Bad.

It's what, a 25 minute drive for us to the nearest US post office? I'm not seeing an RMA problem here for anyone unless they insist on shipping replacements to a residential US address, but I can easily arrange for that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

James Baud posted:

It's what, a 25 minute drive for us to the nearest US post office?

Look, I know average speeds on the 401 are fast, but they're not that fast...

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I guess it's important to distinguish Apple phones (warranty service at nearest store) from Android phones (lucky to get replacements cross shipped) here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/08/21/google-rcs-chat-rolling-out-telus-network/ posted:

Google’s RCS chat is rolling out to Pixel 2, 2XL3, and 3XL on Telus, Koodo and Public Mobile

MobileSyrup.com / by Brad Bennett / 3h

Google’s ‘Rich Communication Service‘ (RCS) is now rolling out to Pixel phones (Pixel 2, 2XL, 3 and 3XL) on Telus’ network with more Android phones to follow.

RCS, which Google calls ‘Chat,’ is the company’s take on Apple’s iMessage. This means that Android users on Telus, Koodo and Public Mobile will start to see read receipts, typing indicators, group chats and now have the ability to send messages over Wi-Fi and data when a connection is available.

The feature’s latest iteration is labelled as ‘Chat’ by Google and is available in Android’s Messages Settings menu.

Telus confirmed to MobileSyrup that the feature is currently rolling out to the Pixel 2, 2XL, 3 and 3 XL, and that it should come to other phones throughout the year.

That all said, not seeing option to enable support on a Pixel 2 or (not mentioned) 3a right now. Tried rebooting too.