Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Lightning Knight posted:

I was in high school when that happened and I completely bought into it. Learning how loving dumb it all was and how dumb I was for buying it was a transformative political experience tbh.

also depressing, to learn the Arab spring didn’t work out and all those people were hosed. :(

I bought into Afghanistan & Iraq too, because doing otherwise wasn't really a choice in an Oklahoma high school. The Battle of Fallujah was the real turning point for me after seeing the army drop white phosphorus on women & kids. Suddenly you realize everyone was lying to you and all the experts are full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mar 18, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I wonder why his youtube channel was banned? Oh wait its this dummy

https://twitter.com/ahmedkaballo/status/1096206372931293185?lang=en

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

replies in this thread are some primo poo poo
https://twitter.com/Armysael/status/1097275735562207232

Mar 18, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Its lovely because there is obviously a lot of terrible stuff that happened in the attempt coup, but gently caress if I want to hear it from one of the maduro paid journalists. It was him and blumenthal that got free plane tickets/hotel/cash to do pro-maduro work in country earlier this year.

536 has issued a correction as of 14:39 on Aug 3, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

536 posted:

Its lovely because there is obviously a lot of terrible stuff that happened in the attempt coup, but gently caress if I want to hear it from one of the maduro paid journalists. It was him and blumenthal that got free planet tickets/hotel/cash to do pro-maduro work in country earlier this year.

You say that like it's bad.

Mar 18, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You say that like it's bad.

we all know guaido is bad man ,but lets not forget maduro literally orders the slaughters of native people in order to keep up the resource extraction in his country. both are hyper-garbage.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

536 posted:

we all know guaido is bad man ,but lets not forget maduro literally orders the slaughters of native people in order to keep up the resource extraction in his country. both are hyper-garbage.

Seems like they could use some resources, imo.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

maduro is ultra-trash, a massive fucknugget. he's doing venezuela a frighten

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i'm still not certain of how bad maduro is, but posters like fnox who want venezuela bombed while they hang out in sweden are scum

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

536 posted:

Its lovely because there is obviously a lot of terrible stuff that happened in the attempt coup, but gently caress if I want to hear it from one of the maduro paid journalists. It was him and blumenthal that got free plane tickets/hotel/cash to do pro-maduro work in country earlier this year.

and every other journalist is paid by foreign capitalists or other governments. Obviously Blumenthal etc have a bias, but so does literally every journalist, and in this case they're on the less bad side.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

If free plan tickets counts as a bribe then I've got bad news about the integrity about literally the entire US journalism establishment.

The US has a history of strategically championing the rights of a single indigenous group while literally aiding genocide of other indigenous groups in neighboring countries.

In the 1980s the US said the Sandinistas were committing genocide against the Miskito, and it was a big part of the campaign against the government.
https://www.nytimes.com/1982/08/13/world/miskito-indians-are-focus-of-debate.html

quote:

But in the last eight months, the Miskitos have found themselves in the center of controversy - the target of the Nicaraguan Government, which has charged that some of their leaders are subversives, and the focus of attention by the United States, which uses their case as an example of what it sees as human rights abuses.

Disrupted by border warfare, displaced by Nicaraguan attempts to resettle and integrate them, and sometimes motivated by a desire to join Nicaraguans in exile, about 15,000 of the 125,000 Miskitos have fled to Honduras. Most of them are struggling to survive in a grim refugee camp near here.
''Their presence is an embarrasment to the Nicaraguans,'' a relief worker said. American officials focused attention on the issue last winter by charging that the Nicaraguans were engaging in genocide against the Indians.

Under the regime of Anastasio Somoza Debayle, the Indians were left alone. After his overthrow in 1979, the new Sandinist Government in Nicaragua decided to end their isolation.

According to Sifrit Williams, a 52-year-old leader of Miskito refugees who wants to overthrow the Sandinists, the Miskitos generally perferred the Somoza Government because it did not intrude in their lives. Sandinists Press Literacy Drive

Mr. Williams said the Sandinists have, as part of a nationwide literacy campaign, sent in Cubans, whom the Miskitos mistrusted, to teach Spanish to the Indians, whose second language was often English, a language they learned from missionaries or inherited from English-speaking Caribbean peoples who settled along their coast.

Did the Miskito fight against the government of Nicaragua at the time? Yeah. Does that mean that today we can say both Samoza and the Sandistas were "hyper-garbage?" gently caress no.

Similarly, the Venezuela government since Chavez's election has empowered traditionally oppressed and overlooked communities like Afro-Venezuelans and the indigenous. It's not a perfect process and there is obviously still conflict in certain parts of the country with some indigenous people. This has gotten worse since the US economic siege has heightened some of these conflicts (as it's designed to do!).

We absolutely can can say that the result of US backed regime change will lead to massive bloodshed, especially against these traditionally oppressed groups that embraced the Bolivarian Revolution and Chavismo. The difference is, like the large scale assassination campaign underway against labor leaders in Colombia, there will be little coverage of it in the English speaking world.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

536 posted:

I wonder why his youtube channel was banned? Oh wait its this dummy

https://twitter.com/ahmedkaballo/status/1096206372931293185?lang=en
lol of course you're a dumbass that thinks showing factual evidence challenging the mainstream narrative on venezuela is propaganda. have you ever considered why showing stocked grocers in wealthy opposition neighborhoods is problematic for the pro-coup supporters?

meanwhile maddow remains unbanned after insisting trump getting bored of a failed coup is evidence of a trump-putin conspiracy to do whatever putin wants

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

you could have searched for something that is problematic and full of bias with no evidence, but you had to choose simply pointing a camera at wealthy neighborhoods in venezuela as your hill to die on for why they should get banned from youtube lmao

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

536 posted:

what's your point? let's not forget this is Rwanda 2.0? is that it?

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

536 posted:

Lol the youtube guy isn't allowed to film anymore in venezuela. I wonder why when obviously everything is fine ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTt-HzqzVYk

you brought up this journalist getting banned from filming [ in a single national park ] as an example of maduro's oppression in the bad thread. why is a journalist being stopped from filming in a park a bad thing, but a journalist being stopped from filming in a supermarket a good thing?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's really simple

pro-coup narratives funded by the government (e.g. the bbc) or private corporations (e.g. msnbc) are okay

anti-coup narratives should be banned from social media

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i'd have to take back my criticisms if you were also calling for banning cnn, msnbc, the bbc, etc. from social media so that your arguments are consistent, but i suspect this is not your position

Mar 18, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

comedyblissoption posted:

lol of course you're a dumbass that thinks showing factual evidence challenging the mainstream narrative on venezuela is propaganda. have you ever considered why showing stocked grocers in wealthy opposition neighborhoods is problematic for the pro-coup supporters?

meanwhile maddow remains unbanned after insisting trump getting bored of a failed coup is evidence of a trump-putin conspiracy to do whatever putin wants

You don't understand how the anti maduro argument of "the poor people are starving and can't afford food" is insincerely argued by this reporter when he goes to a rich neighbourhood grocery and he in turn claims there isn't a hunger crisis?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the anti Maduro argument is also pretty bad faith as it neglects to mention how the US is the source for it

Mar 18, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the anti Maduro argument is also pretty bad faith as it neglects to mention how the US is the source for it

People have been starving and mass emigrating for years because of the USA?

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

536 posted:

Yes. That and Venezuelan companies hoarding food and selling it on foreign markets instead

If the opposition cares so much about the crisis then why don't they share the food from that rich grocery store with the poor?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

536 posted:

Yes.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

536 posted:

lmao

Go back to D&D and tell fnox that when he gets the invasion he so desperately wants that the blood of every Venezuelan killed will be on his hands

All while he whines about how some forums posters are the reason Venezuela isn't getting any better

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

536 posted:

oh, buddy

i have very, very bad news for you, about American foreign policy in latin america for longer than you have been alive

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WampaLord posted:

All while he whines about how some forums posters are the reason Venezuela isn't getting any better

Schrodinger's Leftist is trapped in a super position of being a trust fund Brooklyn hipster of absolutely no consequence that nobody listens to and a massively influential movement of Maduro propagandists keeping our sweet boy John Guaido from saving Venezuela until the expat complaining about them has to pick an argument to make

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

536 posted:

lmao

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

Yes. That and Venezuelan companies hoarding food and selling it on foreign markets instead

If the opposition cares so much about the crisis then why don't they share the food from that rich grocery store with the poor?

There will three hot meals a day waiting for the poor at the slave quarters in the old plantations when Guaido frees the country, what more do you want the rich to do

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

420 Gank Mid posted:

Schrodinger's Leftist is trapped in a super position of being a trust fund Brooklyn hipster of absolutely no consequence that nobody listens to and a massively influential movement of Maduro propagandists keeping our sweet boy John Guaido from saving Venezuela until the expat complaining about them has to pick an argument to make

It's absolutely incredible how mad he is at "the international left" (lefties on Something Awful) for not fixing the crisis...somehow. You know, with all that political power they have.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

536 posted:

For about 200 years, yeah.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

536 posted:

You don't understand how the anti maduro argument of "the poor people are starving and can't afford food" is insincerely argued by this reporter when he goes to a rich neighbourhood grocery and he in turn claims there isn't a hunger crisis?
he literally says he's not saying there aren't food shortages in the beginning of the tiny 15 second clip you linked in the hopes that people like you wouldn't completely miss the point

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's pretty typical braindead liberal moralism where because the victim in international relations also does some victimizing themselves, that means they're equally as bad as the foreign interests that are driving them to desperation.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

536 posted:

obama started the sanctions in 2014

loving with countries and blockading them economically and trying to induce famines and mass strife is part of american foreign policy to install friendly puppet governments throughout latin america

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's pretty typical braindead liberal moralism where because the victim in international relations also does some victimizing themselves, that means they're equally as bad as the foreign interests that are driving them to desperation.

:actually: the foreign interests only have the noblest of intentions so you have to give them a free pass for anything they do you goddamn freedom-hating tankie.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

showing that opposition wealthy neighborhoods are doing fine and have stocked grocers is not an attempt to say there is no food or economic crisis in venezuela.

what is being demonstrated is that the food crisis is selective and not universal, most of venezuela's economy is privatized, venezuela has very large inequality, and the wealthy who want to coup maduro for their own interests are living comfortably.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

in case you're unaware, the wealthy strata of latin america has a long history of colluding with the US and the dictators and puppets they back to support their own interests and murder, torture, and oppress the non-wealthy

sitting back in material comfort while the US and death squads run around causing chaos and misery to try to install a puppet government or get the masses so immiserated they overthrow the current government has precedent

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

like read literally any of the latin american chapters in killing hope or any book about US imperialism in latin america instead of supporting the US puppet and narrative backed by donald trump, elliot abrams, and loving john bolton

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

here's a weird idea, what if we defeated maduro via food

like just ship him all of our excess food, you know, the stuff we usually pay farmers to destroy

since he's intentionally starving his people, he'll have to make sure he consumes all the millions and millions of tons of excess food (quick reminder, that we pay farmers to destroy) personally and will explode from gluttony!

loving boom, problem solved :colbert:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What's actually important here, and also why showing full-rear end supermarkets absolutely destroys the pro-imperialist narrative, is that if what they claim is true then fully stocked supermarkets in wealthy areas should be a logical impossibility. If there's basically no food in Venezuela then where did all that stuff come from? And if there is some food but Maduro controls the distribution of it with an iron grip, then how did it end up in markets catering to Maduro's domestic enemies? poo poo doesn't make sense, which is why the rich-rear end fuckers are trying to prevent people from showing poo poo like this to the world.

What does explain the situation perfectly, however, is if privately owned import firms and retail chains are deliberately causing shortages for political ends, which explains why regular people suffer but the rich and connected face no shortages.

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within

WampaLord posted:

here's a weird idea, what if we defeated maduro via food

like just ship him all of our excess food, you know, the stuff we usually pay farmers to destroy

since he's intentionally starving his people, he'll have to make sure he consumes all the millions and millions of tons of excess food (quick reminder, that we pay farmers to destroy) personally and will explode from gluttony!

loving boom, problem solved :colbert:

aid packages hiding weaponized empanada launchers getting roasted on the bridge from colombia by maduro supporters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/robvato/status/1157696483405312000?s=20