Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

What should i know about owning my volvo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The battery may die

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

AirRaid posted:

This was confusing me, I knew that there was the switch in engines but it feels like some of the '16s available still have the old engines? Unless the ads are just plain wrong, I guess. It's super hard to judge from used car ads.

Also I can't tell what the big difference in the new engines was supposed to be other than maybe a bit more economic?

I just got home way too late, so I'll just quote Wikipedia.

quote:

From 2012 to 2014: Two petrol engines, a 1.6 litre EcoBoost I4 producing 120, 150 and 180 hp, according to specifications and a 2.5 litre five cylinder (last evolution of the T5) producing 254 hp. Two diesel engines, a 1.6 litre Ford Duratorq, which produces 115 hp, a 2.0 litre five cylinder Volvo, developing 150 hp (D3) or 177hp (D4).

2014 to 2015: Two petrol engines, a 1.6 litre EcoBoost I4 producing 120, 150 and 180 hp, according to specifications and a 2.0 litre (Volvo VEA) producing 245 hp. Three diesel engines, a 1.6 litre Ford Duratorq, which produces 115 hp, a 2.0 liter five cylinder Volvo developing 150 hp (D3) and a 2.0 litre (Volvo VEA) four cylinder with 190hp (D4).

2015 to date: Two petrol engines, a 1.5 litre (Volvo VEA) producing 122 and 150 hp used only with automatic transmissions, according to specifications and a 2.0 litre (Volvo VEA) producing 122, 152, 190, or 245 hp used with manual or automatic transmissions. One diesel engine, a 2.0 litre (Volvo VEA) producing 120, 150 and 190hp, according to specifications, used with manual or automatic transmission.

The 1.5 petrol VEA is a de-stroked version of the 2.0 petrol VEA, with matching bores of 82.0mm, but the 1.5 having a stroke of 70.9mm compared to the 2.0 stroke of 93.2mm.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Just got a 2020 v60 R Design. Very happy with my life choices atm. AMA.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

On holiday in the 02 S60 (not 04 as I previously mentioned) and apart from the dash which I'll fix when I get back this thing is incredible for a 206k mile car, think I'll start looking for a V70 with the same D5, it's such a pleasure to drive.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

The Oldest Man posted:

Just got a 2020 v60 R Design. Very happy with my life choices atm. AMA.

phwoar, post pics. I'd love to trade in my wife's S60 for this. Is this your first Volvo?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

phwoar, post pics. I'd love to trade in my wife's S60 for this. Is this your first Volvo?

First since my parents' ancient 244 sedan or whatever it was.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
Man, our '18 XC90 R-Design (Polestar!) lease is up next year, and I'm pitching hard for your exact car right here as its replacement. We got a seven-seater so that someone could sit between the kids in the middle, but now that they're a little older, I'd like to be able to wash the roof of my car again without a stool.

Never owned a white car before this one; don't think I'll ever go back now.

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong
My 02 V70XC has developed a stalling issue when at normal operating temp, car dies when coming to a stop as revs drop below 700ish. No OBD codes but the Volvo-specific reader brought up a LTFT code so I'm assuming there's a vacuum leak somewhere. My old ride (05 Focus) had almost the exact same issue with a cracked PCV hose.

Anyway I'm replacing the upper radiator hose tomorrow so I'll be under the hood regardless ready to spray starter fluid on any and every vacuum hose, anybody encounter a similar issue? Brakes feel fine so I'm assuming the booster is ok. Haven't looked at the ETM because 154k seems really late for that recall-specific issue to crop up.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The good news is the vacuum stuff isn't that complicated on that car. There's like a total of 4-6 hoses.

The ETM is a wear item, the sensors absolutely will wear out, period. If it has a yellow sticker on it it's been replaced once but is still the bad design. If white it's original and should be updated to optical sensors if only to fix it permanently.

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong
Spraying starter fluid all over the intake and vacuum lines yielded exactly nothing and she passed the glove test with flying colors. No stalling on the way to/from NAPA.

I want to clean the MAF but holy hell this thing doesn't want to come out. Next day I've got off I'll put her up on the ramps and check the underside bits.

Update edit: Pulled the sensor from the housing and sprayed it down with some cleaner, test drive was nice and torquey, definitely felt like an increase in power. Got her up to temp and no issues, brief shudders during idling also seemed to have disappeared. I have a hard time believing some MAF cleaner could cure a stalling issue but we'll see I guess.

Dirt McGuirk fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 3, 2019

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

umbrage posted:

Man, our '18 XC90 R-Design (Polestar!) lease is up next year, and I'm pitching hard for your exact car right here as its replacement. We got a seven-seater so that someone could sit between the kids in the middle, but now that they're a little older, I'd like to be able to wash the roof of my car again without a stool.

It's really nice. I got stuck in 6 hours of stop and go traffic last weekend and it was not a problem to be in that car for that long at all.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

The Oldest Man posted:

stuck in 6 hours of stop and go traffic last weekend

Jesus, I'm pretty sure I'd go insane no matter what car I was in.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

umbrage posted:

I love white, I've had two and they just look great all the time.

Just realized these cars were made 11 years apart and I owned them 11 years apart. And I bought them when they were 10 years old. The 86 was my first salvage repair that I kept after finishing it. The '97 was my 6th.

Dirt McGuirk posted:

Spraying starter fluid all over the intake and vacuum lines yielded exactly nothing and she passed the glove test with flying colors. No stalling on the way to/from NAPA.

I want to clean the MAF but holy hell this thing doesn't want to come out. Next day I've got off I'll put her up on the ramps and check the underside bits.

Update edit: Pulled the sensor from the housing and sprayed it down with some cleaner, test drive was nice and torquey, definitely felt like an increase in power. Got her up to temp and no issues, brief shudders during idling also seemed to have disappeared. I have a hard time believing some MAF cleaner could cure a stalling issue but we'll see I guess.

I forgot but yeah that can cause those symptoms. If it comes back just replace the maf. If it comes back after that, get rid of the K&N filter that I would presume you have that is known for fouling the MAF on these cars. Hehe.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Jesus, I'm pretty sure I'd go insane no matter what car I was in.

Pilot Assist helps a lot.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

If there's a cruise control that keeps a safe following distance and keeps me in my lane, that scares the poo poo out of me because I would absolutely fall asleep while using it on a long road trip. Have any of these programs implemented any of that driver asleep detection that they talked about a while ago?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

If there's a cruise control that keeps a safe following distance and keeps me in my lane, that scares the poo poo out of me because I would absolutely fall asleep while using it on a long road trip. Have any of these programs implemented any of that driver asleep detection that they talked about a while ago?

It will get mad at you if you don't give it a little steering input every 5 to 10 seconds, then shut itself off.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
The Pilot Assist is magic and it's great that it's just safe enough to let me grab something in the back seat for my kids.

I've also never had a car with lane-keeping aid before, and even before the warning indicator comes on, when you drive above 55 the steering gets a very drive-by-wire feeling, if that makes sense. When I first drove on the highway something felt off until I used the turn indicator, which instantly turns off LKA until you get into the next lane. It literally felt like someone else letting go of the wheel.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

It will get mad at you if you don't give it a little steering input every 5 to 10 seconds, then shut itself off.

Even worse! Hehehe.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 6, 2019

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Thoughts after 3 weeks of C30 ownership:
I should fix the A/C, it buffets like a motherfucker when the windows are down
Why didn't I buy one of these years ago this is awesome
The battery didn't die (though it gets really low at random and I havent bothered to figure out why yet), but the transmission made a weird noise and this came out
(that's teeth)
Anything I should know about R&Ring this trans? Just got in from picking up the only used 6spd in Alberta from a wrecker in the middle of nowhere lol.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Wait wait wait I’m just cruising through and I saw this thread

My ‘15 v60 has a history of killing batteries and I’m told it’s due to the CitySafe thing. Any truth?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh and for the thread I bought a 2015 v60 AWD 2.5T. It’s what i love about Volvo’s.

It’s oddly sporty
Gets brutal city gas mileage
Tows a healthy amount
Even though it’s smaller it feels like a little tank
Great storage - including the included covers / storage nets.

3 years in and I love it

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
My love for my car is currently conflicting with my willpower to remove that turbo inlet coolant hose to swap while I'm taking care of the other hoses. What a pain in the rear end to get to.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
My dad has a 2014 V70 with the M66 gearbox. I asked him to enquire about having the gearbox oil replaced as he's planning to keep the car for a long time. The tech told him that it'll be expensive as it requires 7 litres of oil @ ~$30 a liter. Total work ~$400. I got hold of the VIDA and it says 1.9 liters and it seems super simple to do when looking at the workshop manual. Am I missing something?

Edit: I'm considering getting an iCarsoft VOL 2.0 for it as well to do rear pads and to have for the future. Anyone got any experience with it?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I forget, where do you live that you get stick in a recent V70? My guess is that m66s are rare and he just quoted you the auto fluid. Stick shifts definitely only take a couple liters because they just splash lube everything.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

LloydDobler posted:

I forget, where do you live that you get stick in a recent V70? My guess is that m66s are rare and he just quoted you the auto fluid. Stick shifts definitely only take a couple liters because they just splash lube everything.

Sweden. I'd expect that ~50% of MY2010-2018 Volvos are manuals. Manuals are common enough that there is no excuse for not knowing. This is the same tech that claimed that my dad needed new wipers (replaced <2 months ago before road trip with Bosch ones that have been great), so my confidence in this guy isn't very high. At first I was like "ok benefit of doubt, they do some flush", but after reading the VIDA for manual transmission replacement there is no mention of flushing. Just straight up drain and refill. Now I'm suspecting that he tried pull a fast one on my dad. I can't really see why it would need 7 liters. Also tried to sell a$55 engine wash.

Edit: Seems like iCarsoft VOL 2.0 will cover most if not all that's needed. Not too expensive as well. ~$130 delivered. Don't want to mess with old laptops/virtual machines etc for VIDA unless it's really worth it.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 22, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The R demands more financial sacrifice.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

You ran over a screw and the walls blew out?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

P. much.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Some of you might won’t this:

https://www.dnacollectibles.com/collections/all/products/volvo-v70-r

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

I have the full size one... :agesilaus:

But that's kinda neat, dunno if I'd pay that much just for a small model.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Another month another P2 thing:

P0027 -- ECM-6140 -- Camshaft control exhaust -- Slow
P0141 -- ECM-2200 -- Rear heated oxygen sensor bank 1, heating -- Faulty signal

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Bought a 2013 XC60 T6 and have spent more time with a loaner than the actual car.

My wife decided to total her 2004 XC90 and we ended up with a 2013 XC60 T6 from Carmax. We had it transported from Louisiana to California

When we got it, the brakes were grinding, my wife was not able to test drive it since she had the kids and nobody there knew how to transfer the seats.

Sent it back, got a loaner, the brakes were completely rusted and had to be replaced, along with the tires. They claim a 200 point inspection, which i know are bullshit. They don't even know how we got the car in that condition because the tech didn't even want to drive it. The nice thing about Carmax is that it comes with a warranty, so I wasn't worried about a test drive.

Almost a week later we get the car back.
The wife complains that it is auto braking out of no where. It happens mostly at slow speeds on smaller roads when she accelerates. I had her drive me around and she pointed at the spots it would happen, but it didnt happen with me in the car. There was one time on the highway that it did it, but I wasn't there for it. The spots she showed me made no sense as there are no other cars on the road.

The air conditioning was randomly working, like the compressor clutch was torched or something. It would work, then it would stop, or it would take forever to kick on. I personally didn't experience it.

So we sent it back.

Carmax sent it to the dealer, the dealer then sent it back to carmax with the repairs.
I looked at the work they did when I picked it up. The dealer updated the City Safe braking software, said their was nothing wrong with the AC (without calling anyone, not me, not carmax.. ok).

I drove it home with no issue. A/C was fine, no auto braking.

Then later that night I drove it, the AC would blow cold, then it would stop blowing cold, the humidity was apparent. I cycled the button and it started working for a bit, and then quit. This was on manual mode.
The next day the wife drove it and the false braking happened a couple of times.

So we sent it back.

Its been over a month now as we have already made our first payment. We've been able to drive it for 3 or 4 days. The volvo tech has been driving it home every day to get it to auto brake and it hasn't. They haven't even looked at the A/C problem yet.

WHAT THE gently caress?

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 26, 2019

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Anyone know why my 2015 s60 will randomly say the windscreen sensor is blocked?

It is not, as far as i can tell.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Bought a 2013 XC60 T6 and have spent more time with a loaner than the actual car.

WHAT THE gently caress?

dang why did you buy that piece of poo poo

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Mo nannies mo problems. I'm really not interested in the driver assistance stuff they put on new cars now, specifically for the things you're talking about. It's probably just a dirty sensor or one that needs to be replaced, but yeah. I don't want my car stopping itself, especially when there's no reason to.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Animal posted:

dang why did you buy that piece of poo poo

The wife wanted another volvo after she realized that the previous one didnt flip upside down or crush her.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

Aeka 2.0 posted:

The wife wanted another volvo after she realized that the previous one didnt flip upside down or crush her.

Yeah they're kinda good in that dept...

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Aeka 2.0 posted:

They are solid cars in general, it just seems like the specific Volvo you bought is a bad one. Please tell me you guys didn’t buy it remotely from another state before even inspecting it. That would be dumb even if it were a Mazda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
So two bad models in a row. Sweet. Yeah we bought it remotely through carmax as it comes with a warranty and they've been taking care of everything.

Or did you mean specific car, not model. Yeah I wasnt available to test drive it, I told the lady to, but she had the kids and it was a problem. Not ideal but again, not sweating it too much, just mainly wondering what the gently caress is up with the braking system. I did some looking around and we arent the only ones experiencing false positives.

I'm also going to take a guess that the AC problem is the clutch on the compressor.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 26, 2019