Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I like the suggestion of turning on the line, but man, I feel like that would still affect my fun in a way.

What I really want out of the game is just the open world driving. The best times I’ve had are when my buddies and I are just headed somewhere and driving fast, but non competitively. Dealing with traffic, not knowing the exact turns coming up, that sort of thing. It hits a lot closer to when I most enjoy driving in the real world (albeit much faster and reckless) and no other racing game taps that part of my driving brain.

I think part of it is that my buddy gets hyper competitive and is good at the model, so it becomes a really annoying “lol I’m better” while I mutter about DiRT Rally and iRacing, wishing we could just cruise the countryside instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy

Anime Store Adventure posted:

-Dealing with traffic
-not knowing the exact turns coming up
-much faster and reckless
-iRacing
-cruise the countryside
Sounds like we need rookie street stocks at the Nordschleife.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Outlaw Mailman posted:

Sounds like we need rookie street stocks at the Nordschleife.

That sounds like an amazing disaster.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So I picked up a thrustmaster F1 rim cheap on eBay. Is there any way to mod these so they have working switches where the fake ones are?

It’s already a significant button upgrade over the factory t300rs rim, but those couple of switches bug me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So I picked up a thrustmaster F1 rim cheap on eBay. Is there any way to mod these so they have working switches where the fake ones are?

It’s already a significant button upgrade over the factory t300rs rim, but those couple of switches bug me.

Depends how skilled you are at modding electronics and how much you wanna risk it.

I'd just build a button box and mount it next to it, safer move. But I feel you on fake buttons being annoying.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, I figured that would be the answer. I have a button box but it doesn’t fit great on my rig and I thought maybe I could just get rid of it. I’ll watch some YouTube’s and see how I feel about modding it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Best news from the new AMS2 dev update is that they finally got an official license for Kyalami, so we're finally going to get the modern version of that track in a game at last.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know a non-warez source for F1 cars for AC? The Ferrari pack included one from ~2017 but there's no way to tune it so its stuck with ridiculously tall gearing. On most tracks I never see the top two gears at all.

I've found a couple of older cars on Race Department but nothing from the last ten years. I'm guessing there's licensing reasons for this but if you of a source lemme know.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well, I got the rim on Wednesday, it is in good shape and the seller shipped it packed with clothing that clearly came from a load where something red got in with the whites, so pink wife beaters and stuff lol

Anyway, it’s a significant enough upgrade in buttons over my stock T300rs wheel that I don’t really need my button box anymore for iracing, which is nice since I play in VR and fumbling around for buttons off the wheel is a pretty quick way to wipe out. I won’t be modding it, since aside from having enough buttons it also looks really nice and I’d just mangle the aesthetics by modding it. The fake knobs stock out way more in video than in real life, ironically.

Also, one thing I didn’t realize is the F1 rim has a push/pull paddle shifter, meaning the paddles are linked together with a rocker in the center of the rim, so if I’m fiddling with buttons on the right side of the wheel, I can still upshift with my left hand by pushing the left paddle instead of pulling. That is a super nice feature that I didn’t realize I wanted until I got it.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 3, 2019

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Someone teach me how to make:

1. A pressure sensitive handbrake, and
2. A sequential shifter.

I feel like I would be closer to being rally Jesus with them.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
If you've got a Logitech G27, you can do this with a few hair ties, a couple picture hanging hooks, and some glue or epoxy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSlfsgNKR-A

Then just map 3rd and 4th gear to down and up

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Does anyone know a non-warez source for F1 cars for AC? The Ferrari pack included one from ~2017 but there's no way to tune it so its stuck with ridiculously tall gearing. On most tracks I never see the top two gears at all.

I've found a couple of older cars on Race Department but nothing from the last ten years. I'm guessing there's licensing reasons for this but if you of a source lemme know.

F1 cars in AC are basically entirely the RSS Formula Hybrid mod, it is a really good mod though if you're not repulsed by paid mods as a concept.
https://racesimstudio.com/formula-hybrid-2019-now-available

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

F1 cars in AC are basically entirely the RSS Formula Hybrid mod, it is a really good mod though if you're not repulsed by paid mods as a concept.
https://racesimstudio.com/formula-hybrid-2019-now-available

This is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

Someone teach me how to make:

1. A pressure sensitive handbrake, and
2. A sequential shifter.

I feel like I would be closer to being rally Jesus with them.

Th8a will do sequential and pligd into USB

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

This is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

HOWEVER, it also has fixed gear ratios! This is just how it is in modern F1.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Steen71 posted:

Yeah I found that out but it has quite reasonable gearing instead of 8th gear maxing at 255mph like the Ferrari one did.

Immediately drop 3-4s on the track I was running without really improving otherwise.

Now if I could just figure out how to activate DRS and the battery boost in AC...

edit: Figured out DRS but I'm not sure if i'm using MGU-K correctly

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 3, 2019

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Steen71 posted:

Huh, today I learned. I just assumed F1 had swappable gear stacks just like Indycar and LMP's (and heck, even GTE has swappable gears)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Huh, today I learned. I just assumed F1 had swappable gear stacks just like Indycar and LMP's (and heck, even GTE has swappable gears)

I think it’s only this season or maybe last where they started doing that. They used to be able to change them.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

GutBomb posted:

I think it’s only this season or maybe last where they started doing that. They used to be able to change them.

Yeah, starting in 2019, they have to choose a set of gear ratios and keep them for the entire season. It's an attempted cost saving measure.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

If you've got a Logitech G27, you can do this with a few hair ties, a couple picture hanging hooks, and some glue or epoxy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSlfsgNKR-A

Then just map 3rd and 4th gear to down and up

Did they really remove the sequential feature that the G25 had? That seems insane.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

tater_salad posted:

Th8a will do sequential and pligd into USB

Ohhhhhh that's on my wishlist now. Thanks!

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Same with the Fanatec usb shifter. Does both sequential and H-pattern.
But not as cool as the Frex H-pattern https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0C2t_Ey4b0

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Does anyone know any good general guides for how to do car setup? Most guides I've found are basically just glossaries and don't actually explain what my priorities should be to get a fast car

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

sum posted:

Does anyone know any good general guides for how to do car setup? Most guides I've found are basically just glossaries and don't actually explain what my priorities should be to get a fast car

Empty Bawx did a good video about how to approach setups a while back. On road the focus is mostly around just how comfortable are you with how the car handles, since consistency is more important than a lot of things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBbzbx5HdII

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

I found Chris Haye's guide to be informative for a dumb dumb like me that knows next to nothing about car stuff. If you want the detail and can handle some vocal fry I would check it out. And it's in Assetto but it's still broadly useful.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWSWQyqnLDu7tLWE9P35Qog6Z8_xb7l_g

I'd be interested in an oval setup guide. iRacing opened my eyes to going in a circle real fast.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Here is a general idea of what to change. There is a lot going on with setups and if its iracing its sometimes counter intuitive.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Anyone interested in a cheap used but fully functional G29?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

sandoz posted:

Oh, hey. You did.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dirt 2.0 VR :woop: :woop:

https://www.facebook.com/dirtgame/photos/a.231832723555970/2881047331967816?type=3&sfns=mo

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 8, 2019

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Sweet. I would love it if they made their F1 series in VR.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Jolo posted:

Presumably the only reason DR and DR2 got VR (Oculus exclusive) support is Facebucks. I wouldn't anticipate any other titles getting it unless someone shells out for them to implement it.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

and its out now

quote:

Patch Notes: Version 1.7 of DiRT Rally 2.0

VR:

Added support for OpenVR (Steam version only)

There are no plans to add PlayStation VR support to DiRT Rally 2.0.

and 4hrs later a post on dirts reddit

quote:

Steam version doesn't have Native Oculus support.

Only way to get native Oculus mode (which has better performance) is to buy the game again from Oculus store. OpenVR runs like crap for me (8700k, 1080ti). It's truly unplayable.... compared to any other sim VR, the performance is nowhere near it should be

AVOID the Steam version, if you have Oculus headset. It runs terribly, a flickering, stuttering mess regardless of graphic settings

:O I don't VR so I dunno what any of that means, but it has a bad smell.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 8, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mr. Powers posted:

Presumably the only reason DR and DR2 got VR (Oculus exclusive) support is Facebucks. I wouldn't anticipate any other titles getting it unless someone shells out for them to implement it.

DR2 was explicitly only because Oculus paid for them to do it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

njsykora posted:

DR2 was explicitly only because Oculus paid for them to do it.

And yet it looks like they are supporting OpenVR which surprises me.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Just have them copy/paste the code from Dirt Rally over to F1. It'll work.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sandoz posted:

I might!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yessss

Jolo posted:

I know! So much same, but its not gonna happen. :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Qmass posted:

:O I don't VR so I dunno what any of that means, but it has a bad smell.

Eh, VR is kinda... complicated. Most people with VR should expect things like this.

Its just saying that if you have VIVE get it on Steam but if you have Oculus get it on Oculus Store which is like... how the things are supposed to work.

OpenVR is a hack to try to get around Steam and Facebook being dumb and trying to make exclusives. It works but it shouldn't be expected to be perfect. Its a last ditch hack to get things working in VR on your headset that otherwise shouldn't.

Its great that openVR does work well for some games, but... yeah. Not official.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Many Steam-bought games allow you to launch an Oculus SDK version of the game, so that Rift users can get better performance and have fewer hassles by bypassing SteamVR. That DR2 apparently doesn't allow this gives the impression of, "gently caress you if you have a Rift but own the game on Steam."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shine posted:

Many Steam-bought games allow you to launch an Oculus SDK version of the game, so that Rift users can get better performance and have fewer hassles by bypassing SteamVR. That DR2 apparently doesn't allow this gives the impression of, "gently caress you if you have a Rift but own the game on Steam."

Yeah but just as many if not more don't. Its not exactly uncommon. VR is just the wild west right now and its across the board a not great and not very polished experience.

There's also a large number of VR games that are exclusive to one platform or the other because one platform or the other gave them some money to subsidize the costs of VR development.

I mean its for sure lame they don't have the Oculus SDK. But I feel like that's more common than not right now.