Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

sweet thursday posted:

*genesplicer's sleep apnea machine comes to a screeching halt*

Hold my beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

The thread hit ... Last on a drat beauty sequence

Bradley Headstone
Jul 4, 2008

Hi, I'm gonna post. I am an old man. I like reading the hot dog man threads, the osha / nuke threads, weird music poo poo, some others
lurkr4lyfe
"i complain evrywhere i go"

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Burt Sexual posted:

There’s some good poo poo out there. Go post. Even an empty quote.

The specific-interest subforums are where it's at. I don't post much, but when I do it's usually in the Dorkroom or in random DIY threads, since there's usually a good mix of people you can learn from or help out.

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
I tried to post more in NMD a few years ago, but exploring music has been too much work/not enjoyable for me the past couple years. Also I rarely post some photoshops if I get an idea for a thread that pops up, but it’s been a while though.

Now I just post token responses in the trump thread every now and then.

Bumvelcrow
Feb 27, 2018

BodineWilson posted:

no. i refuse.

help im cat
Oct 30, 2012
I think the weirdest part about posting here is that i have 173 posts on record and i remember like, only making 5 or 6 when gbs imploded back in the early aughts.

anyway hi i just keep to reading a bunch of bookmarks, recommendations from a more active goonpal, game threads, rowdy ringsports and yospos. they have a good cat thread what can i say

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Whoa, Burt got probated. Posting is fun and intense.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Silmarildur posted:

I am very much a lurker in general, but for SA in particular the reasons have changed over the years. In the earlier days, it was mostly that I still felt (and was) way younger than everyone else. It was intimidating that people were clearly far more experienced and funny than I was. Also every once in a while there would be some thread like "hi guys, my name is Cliff and I work at this company called Epic. Here are some pics from E3." I think some of the people talking about the scary warnings that you will be banned for rules you haven't even heard of or understood might be connected. As a seventeen year old it felt like I had managed to get into some secret cool nerd club and I was absolutely afraid of loving that up.

I don't know how much of this is me being older as opposed to how SA has changed over the years, but I would say thay these days it's more about it seeming like each of the remaining pockets of life here has a very set crew with their own unspoken tribal rules. GBS, PYF, YOSPOS, it's almost like you have to choose one at this point because their little independent cultures have diverged so much since SA Pangea broke up. All of the subforums came from GBS being too clogged up with whatever topic of threads until it got ridiculous. What this meant, though, was that it was more like everyone used GBS as the hub, and then also had whatever niche interests they cared about. That GBS is now its own island community like the others is kind of fascinating in an internet anthro studies kind of way. OP alluded to this, I am not sure whether intentionally or not, when he said "GBS is not like the other subforums that have a topic" or whatever. I guess it has become the "show about nothing" subforum?

Somewhere in the middle I posted a big effort thread in GBS with tons of photos from my three months of working with kids in Tanzania. Ninety percent of people were super positive and supportive, wanting to know about the individual kids, what it was like etc. The remainder were the expected "gently caress you rich white kid vanity volunteer poverty tourist child exploiter for internet points" angle. I let myself get completely bogged down by the latter and it ruined the thread, and really I guess it was disappointment in myself for that which largely sealed the coffin.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I look forward to lurking for several more years before emerging from my cave to vomit words all over everyone. God bless.

Sir, this is a Wendy's drivethru.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Jesus, what did I miss?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Good Ol Filbert posted:

Whoa, Burt got probated. Posting is fun and intense.

If only other places could show why people were probated or put in the fancy internet timeout box

Wanna read the Twitter Leper's Colony :allears:

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

I used to have a very old lurker account with maybe five posts total. I remember once contributing to a thread about photoshopping signs that were being held up by some sort of anti-gay protesters on a collage campus. I swear one of my images was used but I can't find the article now (it was the image with the screaming druid face photoshopped into the guys hood and the sign said something like "Druids are OK with homos").

Anyway I mostly lurk in TG these days so I made this new account in honour of Lowtax's busted spine and my love for Warhammer 40k.

Sometimes I type a post out and lose faith in what I've written. I read a lot but I'm not a good writer. When I read my post in the preview it looks like English is not my first language a lot of times.

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love
Honestly one of the main reasons I don’t post is that uploading and embedding images is just a colossal pain in the rear end on mobile

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

I reply to threads, I don't post threads. Ever.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Pump Jockey posted:

Honestly one of the main reasons I don’t post is that uploading and embedding images is just a colossal pain in the rear end on mobile

It’s super easy if you use the Awful App, it will upload to imgur for you and everything

Silmarildur
Jan 30, 2005

Thats what I'm Tolkien about.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Sir, this is a Wendy's drivethru.

Oh, sorry! In far old times, all seem big medicine men, am scared. Now everywhere just seem cliquey. Also I'll have a frosty, please.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

Silmarildur posted:

I am very much a lurker in general, but for SA in particular the reasons have changed over the years. In the earlier days, it was mostly that I still felt (and was) way younger than everyone else. It was intimidating that people were clearly far more experienced and funny than I was. Also every once in a while there would be some thread like "hi guys, my name is Cliff and I work at this company called Epic. Here are some pics from E3." I think some of the people talking about the scary warnings that you will be banned for rules you haven't even heard of or understood might be connected. As a seventeen year old it felt like I had managed to get into some secret cool nerd club and I was absolutely afraid of loving that up.

I don't know how much of this is me being older as opposed to how SA has changed over the years, but I would say thay these days it's more about it seeming like each of the remaining pockets of life here has a very set crew with their own unspoken tribal rules. GBS, PYF, YOSPOS, it's almost like you have to choose one at this point because their little independent cultures have diverged so much since SA Pangea broke up. All of the subforums came from GBS being too clogged up with whatever topic of threads until it got ridiculous. What this meant, though, was that it was more like everyone used GBS as the hub, and then also had whatever niche interests they cared about. That GBS is now its own island community like the others is kind of fascinating in an internet anthro studies kind of way. OP alluded to this, I am not sure whether intentionally or not, when he said "GBS is not like the other subforums that have a topic" or whatever. I guess it has become the "show about nothing" subforum?

Somewhere in the middle I posted a big effort thread in GBS with tons of photos from my three months of working with kids in Tanzania. Ninety percent of people were super positive and supportive, wanting to know about the individual kids, what it was like etc. The remainder were the expected "gently caress you rich white kid vanity volunteer poverty tourist child exploiter for internet points" angle. I let myself get completely bogged down by the latter and it ruined the thread, and really I guess it was disappointment in myself for that which largely sealed the coffin.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I look forward to lurking for several more years before emerging from my cave to vomit words all over everyone. God bless.

I am also gay

Dick Swiveller
Mar 2, 2011

hell yeah :justpost:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Psyber Spine posted:

I used to have a very old lurker account with maybe five posts total. I remember once contributing to a thread about photoshopping signs that were being held up by some sort of anti-gay protesters on a collage campus. I swear one of my images was used but I can't find the article now (it was the image with the screaming druid face photoshopped into the guys hood and the sign said something like "Druids are OK with homos").

Anyway I mostly lurk in TG these days so I made this new account in honour of Lowtax's busted spine and my love for Warhammer 40k.

Sometimes I type a post out and lose faith in what I've written. I read a lot but I'm not a good writer. When I read my post in the preview it looks like English is not my first language a lot of times.

based on this post your writing is totally fine, you are way overthinking this on a forum where a common reply is just the eyepop smilie :eyepop:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

I’m being sincere. What is it about gbs or whatever sub that makes you intimidated enough not to post for months. You have silly thoughts, sincere opinions, a dumb joke. Are the rules too strict, unclear, etc? This is getting into qqcs poo poo I know, but we can discuss a bit I think since people are chill in here now.

I started off just lurking w/o an account for a couple of years, reading LPs (because I'm a giant nerd), and the paywall eventually got me to sign up because that time I didn't feel like waiting the week or two to be able to continue reading.

Back then the forums still had a very strong air of "newbies get punished for minor offenses, but established posters can get away with blatant rule violations as long as the mod likes them", or at the very least it felt like that from a newbie's perspective and I didn't post until I had something truly worthwhile to say.

And I've got friends who signed up for basically the same reason, reading LPs without needing to worry about the paywall. They don't post at all though, and only even bother signing in when the wall is up.

Nowadays I :justpost:, but the entire atmosphere in SA seems more chill. Especially GBS where it used to feel like you could get a serious probe for putting a comma in the wrong spot.
Still don't post in GBS much because I'm :shrug: about most threads in here, but I think a lot of people just sign up to read the stuff they're interested in without a paywall getting in the way. And they're either content just doing that or feel insecure about their ability to contribute to the discussion.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I suck at making threads and they always get shat down whenever I put in the effort so I'll just keep replying with dumb music references.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Burt please give me a 6er to show the lurkers there is nothing to be afraid of. In the reason be sure to say how I am a noble martyr for doing this

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I probably spent by first 4 years lurking because I was scared I would write a comma splice and get turbobanned by Ozma or something.

What a world, when people were afraid of sharing their dumbass opinions.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
Finally someone made a thread about me.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Post 'Lurkers!', and let slip the frogs of war

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
All I do is lurk lurk lurk no matter what

Ranger Vick
Dec 30, 2005
There should be a lurkers posting ratio contest. Best ratio wins a funny probe from Lowtax.

Now just to post enough times to get up to 0.69 a day. :grin:

16 posts in almost 5,000 days - more than I expected.

Ranger Vick fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 3, 2019

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Silmarildur posted:

Oh, sorry! In far old times, all seem big medicine men, am scared. Now everywhere just seem cliquey. Also I'll have a frosty, please.

:hmmyes::shuckyes:

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ranger Vick posted:

There should be a lurkers posting ratio contest. Best ratio wins a funny probe from Lowtax.

Uh

You win don't you??

Ramaroot
Aug 24, 2008

I AM THE FIRE
Gotta earn that probation.

Here is another dog. Not mine but don't let that stop you from admiring how cute it is.

Ramaroot
Aug 24, 2008

I AM THE FIRE
Goddamn that dog is cute.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ranger Vick posted:

We need to increase the digits of precision in our avg post count to like 6 for you. I’m sure nothing bad would happen to the forums code base doing that.

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

Lurker checking in, I keep trying to open palm slap the lurk button but I usually miss

1.17 posts a day, suck it!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
45k loving posts. I’m full of shame and tears.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
you have brought shame to this thread by posting here as a non lurker bert sexual

John Dounce
Jan 17, 2012

Sometimes I think of threads I could start and then I don't.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

buglord posted:

you have brought shame to this thread by posting here as a non lurker bert sexual

So I’ve gifted plat and probed myself itt, what do you bring to this table bugtard?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Burt Sexual posted:

So I’ve gifted plat and probed myself itt, what do you bring to this table bugtard?

I am but a poor bug but I humbly sacrifice my posting rights for 6 hours

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I'll sacrifice my body for 6 hours in honour of the lurkers who have bested their posting fears itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Lurkers get to give me the probation reasons. Get....creative.