Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Random Stranger posted:

(No spot for the Blitz submissions on the form, so I'll have to add the level in the morning.)

*coughs*

Sorry, I fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Just wanted to say that I filtered the sheet to the kaizo smw levels, and I’m having a blast. Trying to capture as many playthroughs as I can to upload for viewing. Here’s one that I spent so much time on by Great Green.

https://twitter.com/zfleeman/status/1157317633013952515

yrmr
May 2, 2015
Some thoughts on some recent and ROAM levels:

The Ultimate Fortress of DOOM!!! by Internet Kraken
FK9-67Q-Y8G

I’ve played through most of your MM2 levels and this is probably my favorite by far. It felt really good to see that flying beetle pass by the first castle parapet, thinking “I wonder what happens if I try to ride this pass the rest of the level” and then riding it to find a coin trail and a big coin matching the route I was taking on it.

One thing I would recommend changing would be to take out the Thwomp section. The level is already pretty long for a Mario level, and it doesn’t feel cohesive with the rest of the level. It’s not bad, it just doesn’t feel additive since its short and doesn’t really play on any of the other ideas in the level.

Mixing the flying beetles with a castle level instead of putting them in a sky level like normal Mario levels would was a really cool twist that worked well. This level had good pacing and I liked how the Goombas were used. I would be really interested to see another level that has a focus on the flying beetles since they’re not used often in Mario Maker levels.

20 Second Airship Adventure! by Huxley
D34-507-4HF

I had to give up on this one. I have no clue how to get past the 2nd cannonball cannon. If I try to jump on the cannonball from the first one I always hit the side of it, and if I try to jump off the 1st cannon onto the 2nd I always get clipped by the cannonball coming out of the cannon. I feel like a coin trail or some type of marker would make this a lot less frustrating because then I would know how I’m at least supposed to be approaching these jumps.

Mega Action Robot: M.A.R.I.O. by Last Visible Dog
CN5-K4D-9MF

Love the aesthetics on this one. At first, I thought the parts with the ON/OFF switch and bouncing the spiny shells were out of place, but when everything came together at the end it was really cool. No clue how you made all of those enemies appear at the end. Conveyor belts? This one was really fun. I would also be interested in also seeing a more standard Mario level with the construction theme.

Hot Winter Day by Mega64
N8J-747-L4G

I haven't played many Fire Clown Car levels so this one felt pretty novel. The firebars were fun to maneuver around and to make paths around.

The one issue I had is that it was really hard to hit the flying Question Blocks. I think it would be nicer on the player to at least make one of the first ones stationary so they have a chance to hit it in the car. I assume they all had power ups in them but I couldn't catch any and I didn't go for the stationary ones close to the ground so I went the whole level powerupless. Also, maybe consider adding some coins? I like collecting coins and I don't remember collecting any.

Under False Pretenses by Rollersnake
KRM-QMR-3RG

This one gave me a lot of nostalgia. The way it revels in tricky jumps and loops on itself reminds me of playing the Lost Levels way back. I liked the whole looping structure but couldn’t figure out how to get to the end. I made it to aboveground section twice in one play (the vine at the beginning had me confused in the best way when I first jumped onto it) but died to the last pit on the 2nd loop. I don’t know if I missed an obvious clue or what, but I’m stumped at how to find the exit. Still loved what parts of it I did play.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
I just finished my first night level, and I think it's my most difficult level so far. In this level, you have to avoid touching the moon or picking up any stars. It's a Mario World level.

Beware the Moon and Stars
T5N-4YV-DQG

I tend to play a lot more levels than I upload, but I usually haven't posted about them because I didn't feel like I had much to say. However, I'm moved by Internet Kraken's argument for more community discussion, so I'll try to change that. Starting with:

Carnival of Calamity by Internet Kraken - I played this a while ago and I loved it. It was much too hard for me though. I didn't get very far, even though I had fun with what I played of it. I eventually had to give up as I didn't feel like I was making progress at the part where you have to backtrack past a bunch of bob-ombs. The level was absolutely beautiful though, and it felt like everything tied together well thematically.

And more recently:

The 5th Playable Character by Phantasium - Oops. Not actually made by Phantasium, he was just pointing it out. Cool level though.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 4, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I didn't make that level, it was a random one I found that I thought was cool.

yrmr
May 2, 2015
Posting some of my recent levels:

The Flying Dutchman
NY9-XY3-W6G

Explore the haunted shipwreck of the Flying Dutchman as it takes one last voyage. Walljump off of block snakes and dodge way too many bonefish.

Mansion P
1HT-WBB-MXG

A simple ghost house level that includes:
  1. P Switches
  2. Poltergeists
  3. Plants

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
Was randomly browsing the biggest Maker scores and came across someone from my own country so checked them out.

Their courses are consistently great and, I think, fit the vibe of this thread so I'm going to share their maker ID. The courses tend to be easy to medium difficulty platforming/exploration with lots of hidden coins, etc.

Frost89: JGR-5BK-00H

Highly recommend the course called "This Is The Only Level" which has a really well-executed repetition gimmick.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

yrmr posted:

Under False Pretenses by Rollersnake
KRM-QMR-3RG

This one gave me a lot of nostalgia. The way it revels in tricky jumps and loops on itself reminds me of playing the Lost Levels way back. I liked the whole looping structure but couldn’t figure out how to get to the end. I made it to aboveground section twice in one play (the vine at the beginning had me confused in the best way when I first jumped onto it) but died to the last pit on the 2nd loop. I don’t know if I missed an obvious clue or what, but I’m stumped at how to find the exit. Still loved what parts of it I did play.

I'm actually a bit surprised people are having trouble with this one. When I made it, I was worried a lot of people would find the exit before seeing the rest of the level!

Hint: The exit is where the warp zone would be, if this were an official Mario level.

Solution: Jump on top of the upside-down pipe from the second blue platform after the checkpoint, and stay on top of the ceiling until the end of the level. Easiest way to do this is to get a running start beginning from the blocks over the checkpoint.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

This is a terrible level but I had inspiration for a really good level so here is my bad Blitz level: KFV-BDN-4FF.

Enjoy it while it's up; I'm going to gut its bones and make a much more fleshed out version. I just need pipes, semi-solids, and slopes to do it.

yrmr
May 2, 2015

Rollersnake posted:

I'm actually a bit surprised people are having trouble with this one. When I made it, I was worried a lot of people would find the exit before seeing the rest of the level!

Hint: The exit is where the warp zone would be, if this were an official Mario level.

Solution: Jump on top of the upside-down pipe from the second blue platform after the checkpoint, and stay on top of the ceiling until the end of the level. Easiest way to do this is to get a running start beginning from the blocks over the checkpoint.

I was able to finish the level with your spoilers. Thanks!

I looked for ways to the top of the screen but I never found any unspoiled. I was suspicious of that 2nd blue platform to the right of checkpoint and thought that it might be a hint to a secret above it. When I tried I couldn't use it or any of the surrounding terrain to reach the top of the screen or to reveal any secrets. It had never occurred to me to use the blocks above the checkpoint for a running start.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The Lobster posted:

This is a terrible level but I had inspiration for a really good level so here is my bad Blitz level: KFV-BDN-4FF.

Enjoy it while it's up; I'm going to gut its bones and make a much more fleshed out version. I just need pipes, semi-solids, and slopes to do it.

Dang, you weren’t kidding about enjoying it while it’s up. Course not found!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
7LK-HSQ-TKF - Snowpiercer

Finally uploaded my Snowpiercer level, kept waiting to find a streamer who has seen the movie. I wasn't able to fit the "darkness" scene but otherwise I got a lot of the recognizable moments. It's not a hard level by any means, more like an interactive tour of the movie. If you've seen the movie, you'll recognize a lot of stuff. I would encourage you to leave comments with quotes, the streamer who first cleared it added a line after a certain infamous moment that I thought made the room better. if you like, If you haven't, well, train levels are still fun I say.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 3, 2019

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Finally uploaded my Snowpiercer level, kept waiting to find a streamer who has seen the movie. I wasn't able to fit the "darkness" scene but otherwise I got a lot of the recognizable moments. It's not a hard level by any means, more like an interactive tour of the movie. If you've seen the movie, you'll recognize a lot of stuff. I would encourage you to leave comments with quotes, the streamer who first cleared it added a line after a certain infamous moment that I thought made the room better. if you like, If you haven't, well, train levels are still fun I say.

NEAT.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Rollersnake posted:

Just knowing how Mario Maker levels are constructed and where the exit has to be was enough to figure out where the exit is, it just took me a long time to realize that Mario actually can jump that high. :v:

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Blitz level is complete, wanna rob a bank?

Break-in at the First Koopa Bank

Only registered members can see post attachments!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

blitz level!

Ghostnote - 1WR 1PP YDG

very standard cloud level that I made in about an hour this morning. there's some fun jumps and one-ups. if you don't like note blocks this might not be for you.

now time to play some blitzes!!!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Submission for the blitz.

Blitz 1: Ghoststompers!
5W0-4N1-PXG

Made in less then an hour but at least I didn’t put in magikoopa and clowncars so... :shrug:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Have a dumb speedrun course, built in half an hour:

The Question Authority
HB3-W4X-3WG

I can do it in 20 seconds, but there's a part where players might need to backtrack and grab a power-up so I made it a 60s course.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

yrmr posted:

The Ultimate Fortress of DOOM!!! by Internet Kraken
FK9-67Q-Y8G

I’ve played through most of your MM2 levels and this is probably my favorite by far. It felt really good to see that flying beetle pass by the first castle parapet, thinking “I wonder what happens if I try to ride this pass the rest of the level” and then riding it to find a coin trail and a big coin matching the route I was taking on it.

One thing I would recommend changing would be to take out the Thwomp section. The level is already pretty long for a Mario level, and it doesn’t feel cohesive with the rest of the level. It’s not bad, it just doesn’t feel additive since its short and doesn’t really play on any of the other ideas in the level.

Mixing the flying beetles with a castle level instead of putting them in a sky level like normal Mario levels would was a really cool twist that worked well. This level had good pacing and I liked how the Goombas were used. I would be really interested to see another level that has a focus on the flying beetles since they’re not used often in Mario Maker levels.

Thanks! I do wish I integrated the twhomps better. This is actually based on a level I made in Mario Maker 1 where the thwomps had a larger roll. This time around I focused more on buzzy beetle stuff, which probably is more interesting but didn't look as "incompetent". So I still wanted some thwomps smashing stupid goombas, ehe.

Flying buzzy beetles are cool. I do wish they looked like they did in the Wii U game in the NSMB style though.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Carnival of Calamity by Internet Kraken - I played this a while ago and I loved it. It was much too hard for me though. I didn't get very far, even though I had fun with what I played of it. I eventually had to give up as I didn't feel like I was making progress at the part where you have to backtrack past a bunch of bob-ombs. The level was absolutely beautiful though, and it felt like everything tied together well thematically.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, even if it is excessively difficult. I probably could of dialed back the enemies in some places. There's one section of the level I really don't like now but I don't think you actually reached it.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Phantasium posted:

I didn't make that level, it was a random one I found that I thought was cool.
Well I definitely should have read that more carefully. Sorry about the mixup.

I'll review another level instead:

The Flying Dutchman by yrmr - Cool level theme. Those infinitely respawning skeleton fish are brutal. The level had a good creepy atmosphere. I liked the use of snakeblocks. I thought it was a good level overall.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 4, 2019

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

OneMoreTime posted:

Very fun! The bombs on the springs were a pain to get the big coins but the coins weren’t required to complete the level so it was just slightly annoying. The flow was still excellent and it was a great theme

alf_pogs posted:

blitz level!

Ghostnote - 1WR 1PP YDG

very standard cloud level that I made in about an hour this morning. there's some fun jumps and one-ups. if you don't like note blocks this might not be for you.

now time to play some blitzes!!!

You made me want to carry that spring all the way to the end. The only real problem for me was the one ghost in the middle that is hugging the ground. Good work!

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 4, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

OK, here's the level the blitzes inspired me to make: 3XH-Y12-61G.

Edit: Now with twice as many checkpoints!

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 4, 2019

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

OneMoreTime posted:

loved this. I really liked the clear line between the first half and second half.

Khanstant posted:

very enjoyable. I was hanging out for the classroom and it did not disappoint.

Spiffster posted:

Submission for the blitz.

Blitz 1: Ghoststompers!
5W0-4N1-PXG

Made in less then an hour but at least I didn’t put in magikoopa and clowncars so... :shrug:

I loved boncing the stupid ghosts to their death. it's quite a good puzzle gimmick - a full scale level of this where you have to find ways to kill the ghosts would be excellent

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What's the most tedious level you guys have ever bothered to actually clear

Today I played a castle night stage where the entire screen was coins. No hazards other than a tiny lava pit. You had to collect 999 coins to win and there was only enough time to finish with about 10 seconds of leeway. It was boring as hell but easy so I beat it :regd09:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

Today I played a castle night stage where the entire screen was coins. No hazards other than a tiny lava pit. You had to collect 999 coins to win and there was only enough time to finish with about 10 seconds of leeway. It was boring as hell but easy so I beat it :regd09:

I was grinding out the 100 endless easy clears achievement today when I ran into a stage that was called "Time Wasting Box Breaking" or something like that and it delivered exactly what it advertised. The creator used up the part limit for the 3D World boxes and set a course condition to destroy them all. At one point toward the end some of the boxes landed on top of me and glitched me into a soft-locked state. I probably should have skipped it right there but I actually restarted and set to work destroying the boxes again.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Played an expert stage with ~90 peepas buried in the ground that periodically popped up and a bunch of super hammers, clear condition: kill all peepas

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

There are at least two goons who made levels that were just a million 3D world clear pipes that automatically take you to the exit over 480 or so seconds. I don't know why I waited.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Has anyone recreated Mr. Bones Wild Ride yet? There's a cap to the time limit you can set but you could just have an unavoidable 1-up + check point flag every so often.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Has anyone recreated Mr. Bones Wild Ride yet? There's a cap to the time limit you can set but you could just have an unavoidable 1-up + check point flag every so often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPl_ph19WsY

This is as close as you can get to the spirit of the Wild Ride and actually be able to (theoretically) upload it.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Wouldn't that not work since you need to beat it from the beginning without dying to upload?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I forgot about that, but that video above is so much worse. The Hammer Brother coin flip thing is astoundingly evil.

The way people are using interactions between items to create a kind of primitive scripting reminds me of how Doom maps can have crazy stuff happen by putting a clone of the player on a conveyor belt in an off-screen area and having them run over trigger lines.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Loosely based off of the recent Blitz, I made this bootleg course. See if you can work out the rules of this strange new world.

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1157870941969371136

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
Fireball Hall - PTP-73C-B0H Okay so since it's been suggested I edited in a checkpoint flag and changed -NOTHING ELSE-. Enjoy.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Volte posted:

Stealthy Stronghold Siege by Argue
YM4-KF6-DLG
Great level! Very challenging - I tried both the low path and the high path in equal measure and ultimately finished it via the high path. Had the world record....briefly...

Thanks Volte! I played your boo level and it gave me an idea, so here's my latest, inspired directly by you:

I think it's my easiest level by far but hopefully it's roughly the same difficulty as an actual Mario level.

Edit: the thing I'm worried about most on this level is softlocks. Hopefully the reset door is enough to mitigate any.

Argue fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Aug 4, 2019

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Had time for a few random acts of Mario this morning:

Anger Street by Besesoth
L2S-LWM-QMF

I suck at racing, it looks like. I had problems in here, though, because stuff I have to jump over causes me to break the intended flow of the course. Like, early on I have to jump over a gap, but it causes me to bounce off another Koopa Car, so I won't clear the cannons and I won't reach the ground in time to jump over them. Maybe I just don't play enough car levels to see what I'm supposed to do.

LIFE OR DEATH!!! by Fawf
VKT-VL7-S2G

O... Okay? I'm not sure I get it. I tried both doors.

Boom Boom's Fortress by Tykero
27S-180-YNF

I liked this, but it took me 20+ tries to clear. I like the ideas but they could do with a little more margin of error.

100% chance of cephalopods by DalaranJ
Q7C-C7X-C0G

This was fun, love the gimmick. It's tagged for multiplayer versus, but I did it solo, probably very different in multiplayer.

Snowflake Mountain by Castor Poe
6MF-HH6-KDF

This was a solid classic level. There are some places where you have to be careful because if you jump on an enemy prematurely there isn't another way to get the height you need to proceed. There's also an accidental(?) kaizo block on top of one of the blue platforms.

The Fab Four by J-Spot
JJY-K3K-X1G

I am extremely into this theme.

Bowser's B-Team Armada by japtor
BWQ-VKM-S4G

This was quite good and impressively elaborate. Good use of optional side challenges for bonuses. I laughed when I got fed up with Bob-omb Bowser and correctly guessed that there would be a way to just dump him in the lava behind him.

Boiling Point Bastion by DarkLich
NJ0-W1S-FPG

This was fun, pretty tough in places -- mostly noticeable at the end when it's a bit of a hike back to fight the boss if you die.

EDIT: Additional levels edited in.

guppy fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 4, 2019

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I've thought about making an awful level where you have to wait for a shell to travel all the way across the course to hit an on/off switch multiple times.

I was probably also going to make it so the blocks just flickered once so if you didn't move quickly enough you'd lose your window to move and the level would time out.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Plebian Parasite posted:

I've thought about making an awful level where you have to wait for a shell to travel all the way across the course to hit an on/off switch multiple times.

I was probably also going to make it so the blocks just flickered once so if you didn't move quickly enough you'd lose your window to move and the level would time out.

it's this sort of high concept thinking that makes goon levels the best levels

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm trying to sneak in a couple of hours to play everyone's jam and blitz levels before I have to finish off packing up my house. Let's see how many I can get through.

Jams first:

Goombas Working Overtime
66C-MXR-FGF
By: J-Spot

I never play anything with 3000 plays. The non-stop comments covering everything up were awful.

But it's a pretty good level with its theme and the ending is cool.

Bowser's Discount Rockets
LXY-LTW-XHG
By: Too Shy Guy

Good balance on the high speed autoscrolling. It never felt unfair, which might have made it a bit easy, and I liked the branches that were harder...

Cardboard Castle
HDV-BLN-MPF
By: Plebian Parasite

I like the concept of finding the path with the POWs, but I managed to break the first section by throwing the POWs a bit off. The second section is was really great.

The Ultimate Fortress of DOOM!!!
FK9-67Q-Y8G
By: Internet Kraken

This level had a good layout but I wasn't really feeling the theme here. It was just a good fortress stage.

Mario's Mushroom Factory
D1H-3LD-G2G
By: ThisIsACoolGuy

Those were some clever constructions in this stage. I tried to get on top of the autoscroller and couldn't quite manage it. Nice ending, too.

Build-It-Yourself Bowser Bridges
TPQ-WQX-0NG
By: Macaluso

I feel like the difficulty of this stage was increased by the annoying 3D World physics. I kept sliding off bricks instead of ground pounding or bouncing off close things. That's stuff that's out of your control, of course. I just find precision at high speed to be much, much harder in that mode.

Boiling Backup
4HJ-7JF-CBG
By: Suspicious Cook

I've seen this type of level before but this one was done well. The bully section in particular worked really well.

And that's it for the Jam stages. Now for the Blitz:

Ghostnote
1WR 1PP YDG
By: alf_pogs

Was this supposed to be a Blitz 5 level? Because it uses several things that aren't allowed and didn't emphasize question blocks.

But it's a fine, short boo stage. That's the ghost, not the level rating.

The Question Authority
Besesoth
By: HB3-W4X-3WG

The night airship theme with bombs made getting through the brick wall oddly tricky.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

So these are my two newest levels. One's a little different and one's more traditional. If you have a chance, check one or the other out and tell me what you think!

Title: Quiz: Spot the Difference
Code: 700-9Y7-HHF
Description: One of these things is not like the other!
Difficulty: Easy
Style/Theme: SMB3; Gimmick

Title: Splatterglup Swamp
Code: 3XH-Y12-61G
Description: This poisoned bog is full of baddies! Can you make it to the end?
Difficulty: Normal
Style/Theme: NSMBU; Traditional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

guppy posted:

100% chance of cephalopods by DalaranJ
Q7C-C7X-C0G

This was fun, love the gimmick. It's tagged for multiplayer versus, but I did it solo, probably very different in multiplayer.

People seem to love it in multi? I can't imagine what it plays like, I wish I could view people play it multiplayer.

Random Stranger posted:

several things that aren't allowed and didn't emphasize question blocks.

It was a pretty tough Blitz theme in my opinion, to be fair.