Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah there's a reason every big name game these days has to be a 'live service' with constant updates or DLCs or the like in order to keep the game in the news cycle for years

The only exception is when the fanbase is passionate enough to do that for free - Skyrim, Minecraft, Fallout New Vegas, etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

we had a singing cowboy movie last year

Technically the singing cowboy was just the opener, the movie is an anthology.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Peanut President posted:

bring back westerns

hell yea

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
westerns only got good after the italians got a hold of them and fixed them for us. before that it was nothing but full blast racism and misogyny OR the impossibly lame Gene Autry/Roy Rogers musicals.

e: and they made literally hundreds of them a year. the saturation dwarfed the superhero poo poo we have now though back then there were actually c- d- list studios just to pump them out

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
there was that Christian Bale western too.l, and the Sisters Brothers.

are there more revisionist westerns than normal ones now?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Logan was a western

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

got any sevens posted:

hell im trying to think of a single one that came out after the 60s. everyone was tired of John Fords corny poo poo and had moved on to Peckinpah and Eastwood and that was that.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

WampaLord posted:

Logan was a western

super hero movies are westerns

lowtax is a western, just needs to get back on the horse

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

and by that I mean heroin

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

hell im trying to think of a single one that came out after the 60s. everyone was tired of John Fords corny poo poo and had moved on to Peckinpah and Eastwood and that was that.

yeah even something like Silverado seems quaint now, but the sheriff is the bad guy and the heroes are multicultural

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

got any sevens posted:

yeah even something like Silverado seems quaint now, but the sheriff is the bad guy and the heroes are multicultural

the best part of the shift was how mad it made John Wayne lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The only exception is when the fanbase is passionate enough to do that for free - Skyrim, Minecraft, Fallout New Vegas, etc etc

I'm pretty sure 99.99% of Skyrim players never used a mod, which makes its enduring popularity all that much stranger.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

westerns only got good after the italians got a hold of them and fixed them for us. before that it was nothing but full blast racism and misogyny OR the impossibly lame Gene Autry/Roy Rogers musicals.

e: and they made literally hundreds of them a year. the saturation dwarfed the superhero poo poo we have now though back then there were actually c- d- list studios just to pump them out

THe western craze was vastly superior to the superhero mania, because even though most westerns were trash, it still produced a non-zero amount of classic movies, which is more than the superhero genre can say for itself.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

I'm pretty sure 99.99% of Skyrim players never used a mod, which makes its enduring popularity all that much stranger.

it helps that skyrim has been re-released every 2 years since it came out on every single available platform to ensure as many people played it as possible

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

the bitcoin of weed posted:

it helps that skyrim has been re-released every 2 years since it came out on every single available platform to ensure as many people played it as possible

except mac :argh:

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cant game on a mac

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
I ran modded skyrim (at lowest settings) on a Mac through the wine client but I don’t recommend it, was a huge pain

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Notice how people always bring up the point that "100s of western movies were being made each year" while overlooking the fact that the number of theatrically released movies has gone down drastically over the past few decades. Most places would probably only show about 50-75 movies in a year.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

an actual dog posted:

it owns how everyone has completely forgotten about red dead redemption 2 in the same way they immediately forgot about avatar

Nick Mullen hasn't an much like the people who couldn't get over avatar wanted to be Navi he wishes he was born in the 19th century

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

RDR2 sucked. Technically it was a beautiful, immersive game, but the story was half baked and pointless. Rockstar could really use some better writers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

got any sevens posted:

You pretty much can't do 'normal' Westerns anymore, there's not really anywhere left to go with them. That and any Western that tackles interesting themes is probably gonna be called revisionist anyway.

WampaLord posted:

Logan was a western

There's also a shitload of media that borrows from Western filmmaking language too.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MizPiz posted:

Notice how people always bring up the point that "100s of western movies were being made each year" while overlooking the fact that the number of theatrically released movies has gone down drastically over the past few decades. Most places would probably only show about 50-75 movies in a year.

it was also in the newsreel/doublefeature era, those 100s of movies were only about an hour long. plus it was before US v Paramount and long before nationwide releases were a thing. so not every small mid-sized town even saw the same movies. hollywood has always been like this wrt saturating popular trends and theres always only a tiny percentage that ever get remembered anyway, but the western craze really was bonkers.

that Simpsons joke about being Gabby Hayes Big was on point lol

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Toplowtech posted:

No the really terrifying thing is how loving seriously we were supposed to welcome a loving GHOSTBUSTER remake with a snl cast.

no self-respecting ghostbusters movie would cast performers from saturday night live!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Lol that has to be a joke post

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

an actual dog posted:

it owns how everyone has completely forgotten about red dead redemption 2 in the same way they immediately forgot about avatar

I haven't, I just have nobody to talk about it with

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

sitchensis posted:

RDR2 sucked. Technically it was a beautiful, immersive game, but the story was half baked and pointless. Rockstar could really use some better writers.

Wrong

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the true grit remake was a good western

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The world would be a much better place if we got a ergio Leone expanded universe instead of Marvel / Star Wars expanded universe. I mean, Ennio Morricone is still active to infuse those movies with atmosphere, and producing better art as a 100 year old corpse than all of Hollywood combined.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Dreylad posted:

the true grit remake was a good western

I strongly agree with you

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

steinrokkan posted:

The world would be a much better place if we got a ergio Leone expanded universe instead of Marvel / Star Wars expanded universe. I mean, Ennio Morricone is still active to infuse those movies with atmosphere, and producing better art as a 100 year old corpse than all of Hollywood combined.

I've just watched highlights of Once Upon he Time in The West, and it's amazing how it thoroughly owns current movies on every single level. Death to Hollywood.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

I've just watched highlights of Once Upon he Time in The West, and it's amazing how it thoroughly owns current movies on every single level. Death to Hollywood.

Hell, I just bought Batman on iTunes the other week and the filmmaking in that feels like Oscar-caliber level stuff on all fronts these days, Once Upon A Time In The West looks like it was delivered from a planet where all the aliens thought about was "how do I make a really, really, really great movie"

And then you consider how each generation gets worse and worse about not wanting to watch something older than a certain age (usually older than whatever decade is the in vogue "retro" one) and it's like "oh boy, can't wait until every loving filmmaker in Hollywood's biggest cited influence is loving Joss Whedon's The Avengers".

It's also fascinating to watch as Hollywood continues to squat down on only ever having movies take place in New York or San Francisco or suburbs of coastal megalopolises and be about rich people, and middle America, unsurprisingly, stops going to more and more of them.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

in the year 2040 every movie will either take place in manhattan or elizabethan england

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if clint eastwood had been a hollywood liberal and not a chud would hollywood recall TGTBTU more

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

holy poo poo, I thought all that effort had a way wider audience.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Civilized Fishbot posted:

holy poo poo, I thought all that effort had a way wider audience.

The number is actually 69.420%. The most popular Skyrim mod at Skyrim Nexus has 5 million unique downloads so I would bet Skyrim modding is way more popular than 0.01% of players or whatever, especially since the console version get mods now too.

Tiny Timbs has issued a correction as of 02:06 on Aug 5, 2019

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

an actual dog posted:

market research for movie goers is increasingly showing that people aren't going to movies anymore just to go to the movies, like if they just want something to watch they're streaming something. the thing that gets people into theaters are big events, and that means remakes and sequels and this movie is so important. its really pushed out comedies, and if your drama isn't an oscar play it's not getting made.

maybe if people had money and time going to the movies just to chill would be a more possible thing? maybe these subscription things will change how movies get made? idk lol but the only movie I've seen in a theater for like a year was that apollo 11 documentary

might help if taking ur family to the movies wasn't a $100+ excursion!

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

fabergay egg posted:

might help if taking ur family to the movies wasn't a $100+ excursion!

well it's always been expensive to buy food at the movies but wages used to be keep pace with inflation at the very least.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

you fuckin idiots lol. just buy candy and drinks at Walgreens and have your mom put them in her purse...

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

The Cameo posted:

Hell, I just bought Batman on iTunes the other week and the filmmaking in that feels like Oscar-caliber level stuff on all fronts these days, Once Upon A Time In The West looks like it was delivered from a planet where all the aliens thought about was "how do I make a really, really, really great movie"

And then you consider how each generation gets worse and worse about not wanting to watch something older than a certain age (usually older than whatever decade is the in vogue "retro" one) and it's like "oh boy, can't wait until every loving filmmaker in Hollywood's biggest cited influence is loving Joss Whedon's The Avengers".

It's also fascinating to watch as Hollywood continues to squat down on only ever having movies take place in New York or San Francisco or suburbs of coastal megalopolises and be about rich people, and middle America, unsurprisingly, stops going to more and more of them.

the nuttiest part about this is that youd never know this from reading film critics the one group of people youd expect to be knowledgable about this stuff like the rest of the media its a field blatantly dominated by patronage and its legit difficult to tell whether theyre just pretending like they cant see subtext or if they really are that stupid

even negative film reviews arent any fun anymore because its all about nitpicking plot holes and using generic negative superlatives that could be applied to literally any movie where are my thinkpieces calling captain marvel the ultimate modern evolution of top gun where even the homoeroticism is half assed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Some Guy TT posted:

the nuttiest part about this is that youd never know this from reading film critics the one group of people youd expect to be knowledgable about this stuff like the rest of the media its a field blatantly dominated by patronage and its legit difficult to tell whether theyre just pretending like they cant see subtext or if they really are that stupid

even negative film reviews arent any fun anymore because its all about nitpicking plot holes and using generic negative superlatives that could be applied to literally any movie where are my thinkpieces calling captain marvel the ultimate modern evolution of top gun where even the homoeroticism is half assed

the critics were always, by and large, poo poo. remember gene shalit and bosley crowther? you only get a pauline kael once a generation. i like ignatiy vishnevetsky though