Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Simpsons Reference posted:

Alright, so the attorney has ordered me to deposit all of our income going forward in to what is known as an IOLTA account. Basically, when we accept payments for application filing fees or retainers, it's supposed to go in to a collective client trust account until it's earned. A real accountant or maybe even an attorney can give a better explanation. We were already using it, so it's a real thing, but now our cash deposits have to go in too.

Anyway, he has it in his head that apparently, if we deposit all of our income in to that account and don't take any out/use our LOC to pay for everything, he won't have to pay any taxes. I tried to explain the phrases income, expenses, net income, and tax liability, but he wasn't having any of it and just wants to not pay taxes. I have a feeling he's going to be disappointed and decide it's bad accounting.

This almost certainly violates his state bar ethics requirements and could lead to his license getting suspended. If your profession (accountant?) is also licensed it might cause trouble for you too.

You need to get out of there ASAP before the house of cards crashes down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I think they're still getting their CPA so maybe technically not responsible although I imagine this poo poo won't look good in their background check.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

They’ve already said they’re looking for a new job so right now there isn’t much to do but :justpost: for our entertainment.

I may be called in to interview with Marcum LLP next week, crossing my loving fingers. This has been a lot of self-posting, but if I give myself a sixer now I won't be able to post at work

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This almost certainly violates his state bar ethics requirements and could lead to his license getting suspended. If your profession (accountant?) is also licensed it might cause trouble for you too.

You need to get out of there ASAP before the house of cards crashes down.

The two things you never do as an attorney are sleep with a client, and intermingle your money with a client's.

If he's got the IOLTA account set up and is at least doing that much properly, they're unlikely to come down on him too hard about much.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Received CP2000 from Coinbase for 2017 and have a few questions (self.personalfinance)

submitted 48 minutes ago * by koissu

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/cl5cah/received_cp2000_from_coinbase_for_2017_and_have_a/

quote:

Based on some research on reddit and the internet, it looks like a lot of people received form 6174 from the IRS with regards to 2017 coinbase transactions. I just received a CP2000, saying I didn't report $78,575 in 'Payment Card/Third Party Transactions' and now owe backtax, penalties, and interest ($40k). This was from buying and selling LTC in $500/$2000 transactions during the last bubble and I ended up at an overall loss and didn't think it needed to be reported (which I have discovered is incorrect).

I don't fully understand the form, but it looking to be saying I had $78,575 in unreported income which is woefully incorrect. I believe that is the total in transactions I made in the year, but not gains. Can someone who has perhaps come across this explain if that is correct? and if so, should I go through each transaction and calculate the gains/losses, and get a final number for 2017?

Edit: The CP2000 also references a 1099-K from Coinbase that I never received or else I would've reviewed this at the time. Edit 2: Searched my email and found a notification from Coinbase for 2017 and 2018 for 1099-K retrieval.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

quote:

didn't think it needed to be reported (which I have discovered is incorrect)
Outstanding.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Based on some research on reddit and the internet,

so that's how I ended up living in this giant hot dog car.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

Motronic posted:

Edit 2: Searched my email and found a notification from Coinbase for 2017 and 2018 for 1099-K retrieval.

:kiss:

I'll have this, directly into my veins please.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Adhemar posted:

:kiss:

I'll have this, directly into my veins please.

God I love Bitcoin.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Residency Evil posted:

God I love Bitcoin.

As a currency: Worthless.
As an asset: Worthless.
As an endless spring of laughs and prosecution futures: More valuable than all the gold in the world

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Is this the same one as before, or are these starting to pop up :lol:

IRS says I made $82k on crypto (I in fact lost money) What do I do?

quote:

Hi there, burner account. Letter today from the IRS (CP200) says I made $82,000 from Coinbase in 2017 on cryptocurrency. I probably bought around $5-10k in various coins at the time, but ended up losing money. How can I resolve this? Anyone else been here?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

Is this the same one as before, or are these starting to pop up :lol:

Oh no, it's not the same at all. The IRS has coinbase's records and this poo poo is happening and needs be injected directly into my veins.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

he's just going to get a fair tax bill and be delusional in thinking he got ripped off.
So he's your bog-standard conservative?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

So he's your bog-standard conservative?

Way left

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

In hot dog / wienermobile news:

https://abcn.ws/2T2tFcZ

quote:

Oscar Mayer debuts candied hot dogs

For national ice cream sandwich day, Oscar Mayer turned the hot dog on its head and concocted a sweet frozen version of its popular packaged meat product.

quote:

PHOTO: The Weinermobile will be decked out like an ice cream truck to celebrate the novelty.

https://twitter.com/oscarmayer/status/1156963034839040000

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Hot dogs in your ice cream isn’t kosher in so many different ways.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

:getout:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Krispy Wafer posted:

but what if they're hebrew national

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

silvergoose posted:

but what if they're hebrew national

It's meat and milk so it's still 100% non-kosher rather than 200% non-kosher with the pork hot dogs.

Sounds delicious though. Hot dogs in pancakes are good. They're a good compliment to sweet flavors.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

i bet you put ketchup on your eggs too, you heathen.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

And pineapple on pizza, which is indefensible

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

colachute posted:

i bet you put ketchup on your eggs too, you heathen.

Eggs and hot dogs are the only reason I own ketchup.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Fite me irl

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Motronic posted:

Oh no, it's not the same at all. The IRS has coinbase's records and this poo poo is happening and needs be injected directly into my veins.

Yeah, the IRS is just starting to send out those CP2000 forms, the coinbase BWM is now a trickle and will become a flood.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Yeah, the IRS is just starting to send out those CP2000 forms, the coinbase BWM is now a trickle and will become a flood.

:yeshaha:

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

The BWL is coming from inside the thread

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

"i like ketchup on eggs and pineapple on pizza"

-hitler

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

colachute posted:

"i like ketchup on eggs and pineapple on pizza"

-hitler

He wouldn’t eat hot dog ice cream, that’s for sure.

Trump is going to balance the budget on buttcoin capital gains isn’t he?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Krispy Wafer posted:

Trump is going to balance the budget

I'm going to just stop you there

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

Trump A politician is going to balance the budget

Volmarias posted:

I'm going to just stop you there

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's meat and milk so it's still 100% non-kosher rather than 200% non-kosher with the pork hot dogs.

Sounds delicious though. Hot dogs in pancakes are good. They're a good compliment to sweet flavors.

I...I know, it was a bad attempt at a joke or something.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've always wondered: what's the deal with not typing "God?" It seems kind of ridiculous, like the Amish.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Judaism is a never ending series of laws and then subsequent rules lawyering to get around it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Judaism is a never ending series of laws and then subsequent rules lawyering to get around it.

To continue this derail, a friend had to consult her rabbi to find out if strapping foam swords to her wrist would allow her to larp with them on Saturdays since then she wouldn't have to physically pick them up on the Sabbath which would be considered "work"...

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I've read that the rules lawyering is just as a part of it as the rules themselves, since God made people clever and likes to see them use it.

Any Jews in here who can confirm/deny?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

BonerGhost posted:

I've read that the rules lawyering is just as a part of it as the rules themselves, since God made people clever and likes to see them use it.

Any Jews in here who can confirm/deny?

Not a Jew but married to one and yeah that's pretty much it

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

silvergoose posted:

To continue this derail, a friend had to consult her rabbi to find out if strapping foam swords to her wrist would allow her to larp with them on Saturdays since then she wouldn't have to physically pick them up on the Sabbath which would be considered "work"...

What was the result?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

opposable thumbs.db posted:

What was the result?
I too am curious if rabbis allow strap-ons to be used as weapons.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

I too am curious if rabbis allow strap-ons to be used as weapons.

If you put it on before sundown on Friday you can use it all day Saturday. Duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Saw this in a supermarket today, not sure why Acme shoppers are the target audience.