Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zhang San
Feb 20, 2018

We have 4 (yes four) unifi APs in a 990 sq ft apartment because wireless signal seems so bad room to room. All my technical friends think this is huge overkill and I must have hosed something up (I'm sure I probably have anyway by choosing to live here).

Anyhow poked my head into the ceiling cavity to look for a way to pull ethernet through my apartment to connect the APs. The picture is a nice illustration of probable reason for all this - that mesh showing through in the poorly finished section is basically embedded into each wall throughout.

Guess at least I don't need to worry about government satellite signals monitoring my brain... :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Zhang San posted:

We have 4 (yes four) unifi APs in a 990 sq ft apartment because wireless signal seems so bad room to room. All my technical friends think this is huge overkill and I must have hosed something up (I'm sure I probably have anyway by choosing to live here).

Anyhow poked my head into the ceiling cavity to look for a way to pull ethernet through my apartment to connect the APs. The picture is a nice illustration of probable reason for all this - that mesh showing through in the poorly finished section is basically embedded into each wall throughout.

Guess at least I don't need to worry about government satellite signals monitoring my brain... :tinfoil:

Now you can tell your friends you literally live in a real-life Faraday cage.

IndianaZoidberg posted:

I'll try that next time I'm on that network. That will be in a day or two. The Macs have internet I think, but its threw wifi. This is littery the entire wired network for this setup.

The projectors are all set to static IPs from 2.0.0.211 threw 2.0.0.216.

I should have been more clear, this is no office. Its a theatre and the projectors are a temporary setup for 3 weeks of performances. Basically, this is a setup that we always use and will continue to use. I just want to make the projector control work threw my PC...because I like money too much to buy a Mac.

Really sounds like your laptop just needs to get on that WiFi that the Macs are on, then. That network doesn't have a gateway to the internet anywhere on that diagram.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Zhang San posted:

Still though: 4 for 990 square feet? Is the mesh made out of lead or something?

:ohdear

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I have one Unifi AP covering more space than that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

IndianaZoidberg posted:

I'll try that next time I'm on that network. That will be in a day or two. The Macs have internet I think, but its threw wifi. This is littery the entire wired network for this setup.

The projectors are all set to static IPs from 2.0.0.211 threw 2.0.0.216.

I should have been more clear, this is no office. Its a theatre and the projectors are a temporary setup for 3 weeks of performances. Basically, this is a setup that we always use and will continue to use. I just want to make the projector control work threw my PC...because I like money too much to buy a Mac.

The problem is that you don't have any details on how the network works. Plugging in the cable and magic is the result of several layers of configuration working together. If you don't know or understand why then it's going to be very difficult to help you efficiently. This isn't a dig at you, but it's a huge knowledge gap to bridge for a corporate style network. (Or worse, higher ed.)

We really need to know the configuration of one of those macs to help you out here.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
A while ago I posted about my RPi Model B occasionally eating my PiVPN config. It should also be noted that my Pi also runs PiHole on DietPi and acts as an SSH Server for tunnelling to the rest of the network. As far as I can tell, it's due to Pi's occasionally eating SD cards.

This leads me into a broader question, one that was answered briefly before. Does anyone have anay specific recommendations for small SBCs or similar that can and should be used as network appliances like VPN Access Servers? To try and make things easier, here's a list of DietPi's supported boards. That said, I was hoping someone like [url=https://www.gl-inet.com/GL-inet[/url] made something, since they made my excellent travel router. They don't, but are there any other darlings out there in that regard?

EDIT:

Zhang San posted:

We have 4 (yes four) unifi APs in a 990 sq ft apartment because wireless signal seems so bad room to room.

Please could you define "wireless signal seems so bad"?

Also, please at least tell me those are the in-wall APs

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 30, 2019

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Looking for some advice here, and I am probbly resolving to the fact i have the wrong hardware for it and I'm open to buying the 'correct' things.

My FIOS internet is directly connected to my Asus RT-AC86U router usng Merlin firmware. This is currently providing 5ghz password protected signal (more detail later) and a 2.4ghz for some IoT level devices (SSID is hidden, password, etc)

I also have a NETGEAR GS724T-400NAS managed switch doing the heavy lifting for the wired devices in the house. I got it becuase I wanted to dabble in higher level networking and possibly VLAN, etc. My plan was to run wired around the house since I serve video from a plex server, but the house is mostly stacked over itself, and a single 5ghz signal ended up providing me with great coverage and speeds, so i never got around to it.

I will eventually wire up the wireless things :
Plex server gigabit (wired)
desktop gigabit computer (wired)
2 nvidia shields (wireless)
1 roku (wireless)
1 ps4 (wireless)
3 Wyze cameras (2.4 ghz only clients)
Various phones / laptops/chomebooks that connect via wireless

My ultimate hope was to separate the IoT cameras, some RPis, my anova Sous vide, tc its own vlan , put the plex server on one, and the ps4, shields, etc on one for perceived ? security and isolation of who can access what. But I think that I am only able to VLAN hard wired clients, and that all the wireless VLAN traffic would need a dedicated AP in its own port, which i assign a VLAN ?

The Asus I have had great times with in previous versions, and provides a great signal. Assuming I run wires to the few locations currently wireless ... am I SOL with my current hardware to segregate everything or am I competently overthinking everything ? Aside from SSID creation the most advanced this network has gotten is QOS for plex / ssh / torrent traffic on the server

Am I just being dumb ?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I don't see support for VLANs in the ASUS's product page, so you may be correct in that you don't have the required hardware to do what you want to do, at least for the wireless portion.

Most business-oriented APs (including the UniFi stuff) will allow you to create multiple SSIDs assigned to different VLANs. When the AP receives traffic, it will assign the VLAN tag associated with the SSID that the device is connected to. On the switch side, the port that is connected to your AP should be assigned as a "Trunk", allowing the multiple VLANs you've specified to access that port.

If your ASUS Router can be configured with static routes and can handle DHCP for multiple address ranges, then you can keep your router and have your L3 switch perform all the VLAN routing. If not, then you may need to look into getting a new router in addition to a new AP.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
There is support, but apparently command line interface only, and static routes are possible, but also tedious to set up.

Seems like i am better off running wires where i want them, getting an edge router lite, and a UniFi AP AC Lite powered by the router, and letting my existing switch do more fo the heavy lifting.

I can likely get away with one AP in a central location as the one hidden on the lowest level in a closet does just fine. *sigh* I would have probably spent t he same as the router in the first place with both.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
If your existing equipment supports it then I'd at least give it a shot before buying more hardware. Could be a fun learning experience.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Hey home networking thread. I've lurked for a while but wanted to share my praise of Unifi products. My network of wifi connected smart things collection has ballooned over the past couple years (sonos, locks, fans, vacuum, TVs, etc) and I finally made the switch to a Unifi System after months of following the thread and on average twice weekly Wifi failures that required a reset at the router. Despite the high cost I'm very happy and currently sitting at like 30 or 40 days of uptime on the router. I have the USG, 8 port router, cloud key and a single LR-AP. I'll be installing another AP to cover my backyard and garage in the coming month or two as well.

I upgraded from a Zyxel router provided by my fiber internet provider.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The UniFi wireless is great. I have 28 to 40 wireless devices online at any given time and in the year I've been in my house I really haven't thought about it or had any problems with it at all. Fantastic devices.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

In a related note, can someone explain to me (in small words please) what exactly the hell is UniFi? My best understanding is that they do some series of routers or the like, but there is a suite of software for network management as well? Is that accurate? I've been looking to beef up my network management a bit beyond what I can do with my Archer C7 and it may be something I'd be interested in slapping on a spare RasPi. I've got it handling DNS and DHCP, but that may be better handled by another device. I also only have the faintest notion of what the hell I'm doing so feel free to talk me down.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

UniFi is Ubiquiti's ecosystem of network devices and software. For devices in your home the most commonly recommended ones are their wireless access points. They also have their Ubiquiti Security Gateway which is a router, as well as switches and just about everything else you would need for a small office or home network (arguably it's fine for large networks, too, although that isn't their specialty):
https://www.ui.com/products/#unifi

Ubiquiti also makes other products that aren't part of their UniFi lineup like their Edgerouters which are popular due to being good for the price but aren't part of the unifi software.

For use cases like a single wireless access point you don't necessarily need the UniFi server software running continuously. You could just set the access point up with its SSID/passphrase, channel and leave it. You wouldn't get any metrics that way, however. If you add in the security gateway you get more data. Adding a unifi server like the Cloud Key (which is essentially a server on a stick that can be accessed through the unifi website, hence the cloud part) lets you keep an eye on things and manage your network remotely as well. I believe there's distributions of the unifi server for use on single board computers, although I just leave it in a virtual machine and run it when I need to check on or change something on my two access points.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Warbird posted:

but there is a suite of software for network management as well? Is that accurate?

Focusing in on this portion - The UniFi Controller software only manages the UniFi line of products. It doesn't provide any additional network management features beyond configuring the UniFi devices, or provide any sort of network service like DNS or DHCP.

You configure the UniFi Router (USG) to provide DNS and DHCP through the controller software. The controller is just a manager; doesn't actually do anything besides telling others in its department what to do and makes pretty looking charts (e. that are only available if there are UniFi devices on the network to see the network traffic).
-
In what ways are you looking to expand your network management?

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 1, 2019

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
FYI UniFi doesn’t provide live traffic data but aggregated data(dpi) or time scaled(port traffic) over specific time intervals. If you need instant data you need to have an external platform acquiring snmp data from the router/switches/ap.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I am so incredibly out of the loop regarding modems :kingsley:

So I just switched to Comcast's(ugh) gigabit internet package as I am going to build my own PC when the parts come in tomorrow! But I've found that my Arris SB6141 modem is slightly outdated in regards to faster internet plans. Could anyone weigh in on a better modem? I'm not seeing a lot of definitive opinions on an SB6183 versus a SB6190, but I've also heard that the SB8200 is the way to go? :psyduck: The SB8200 is a pretty penny more, but if it's the way to go I don't mind splurging on it as I can just tack it onto my no APR credit card I specifically got for this PC. Thanks!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

I am so incredibly out of the loop regarding modems :kingsley:

So I just switched to Comcast's(ugh) gigabit internet package as I am going to build my own PC when the parts come in tomorrow! But I've found that my Arris SB6141 modem is slightly outdated in regards to faster internet plans. Could anyone weigh in on a better modem? I'm not seeing a lot of definitive opinions on an SB6183 versus a SB6190, but I've also heard that the SB8200 is the way to go? :psyduck: The SB8200 is a pretty penny more, but if it's the way to go I don't mind splurging on it as I can just tack it onto my no APR credit card I specifically got for this PC. Thanks!

Friends don't let friends buy the SB6190. It has the bad Puma 6 chipset inside which causes all sorts of issues.

Go with the SB8200 since you're getting gigabit. It's a good, solid modem.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

astral posted:

Friends don't let friends buy the SB6190. It has the bad Puma 6 chipset inside which causes all sorts of issues.

Go with the SB8200 since you're getting gigabit. It's a good, solid modem.

Awesome, thanks! I read about that chipset, but then read that there was a firmware update that might fix it, but I'm glad there's a definitive answer.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Comcast lets customers self install gigabit and use their own modem?

All the cable based gigabit services I’ve heard of until now require a technician install and use of the provided modem.

Regardless the SB8200 is what you want

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

skipdogg posted:

Comcast lets customers self install gigabit and use their own modem?

All the cable based gigabit services I’ve heard of until now require a technician install and use of the provided modem.

Regardless the SB8200 is what you want

I had Comcast prior to my current internet so I believe everything was already set up. Gonna but the modem this afternoon and give it a test run, hopefully everything is good!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Got paid today, so I'm gonna order that new router and AP shortly, and call Optimum when I'm out of work. We tried living without cable TV for a week and we don't miss it at all.

e: The OP has a link to an older model of the Unifi AP Lite. I got a link to the newer model in the Amazon listing.

New: https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-Dual-Band-passive-UAP-AC-LITE/dp/B016K4GQVG/
Old: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015PR20GY/

The Answers section seems to indicate the only difference is the POE specs.

quote:

The only difference is in the POE spec. The older model only supports 24v passive. Where as the new model also supports standard 802.3af/A POE. So you would need to look at the specs for POE. As far as how to tell the difference, I think the only way is that the box on the new model has a little blurb in the corner mention support for both. The box background is white and the blurb is in a blue triangle in the corner.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 2, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

Got paid today, so I'm gonna order that new router and AP shortly, and call Optimum when I'm out of work. We tried living without cable TV for a week and we don't miss it at all.

e: The OP has a link to an older model of the Unifi AP Lite. I got a link to the newer model in the Amazon listing.

New: https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-Dual-Band-passive-UAP-AC-LITE/dp/B016K4GQVG/
Old: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015PR20GY/

The Answers section seems to indicate the only difference is the POE specs.

You might want to buy them from an authorized reseller like B&H instead:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1184038-REG/ubiquiti_networks_uap_ac_lite_unifi_ap_ac.html

That way you'll get warranty support if you have a problem (Ubiquiti wants you to have purchased from an authorized reseller).

Full list of distributors: https://www.ui.com/distributors/

It's weird that Amazon isn't listed, though.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

astral posted:

It's weird that Amazon isn't listed, though.

My country’s amazon seems to be divesting from Ubiquiti gear, most products are third party only now. The sole way to buy ubnt kit with amazon warranty is to go warehouse and buy used.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I know that for most home use a gigabit switch is a gigabit switch, but does anyone have a particular 8-16 port unmanaged one the like? I have a 5 port thats full and now have need for an extra port. Other option is also maybe to get a Ubiquiti US-8-60W for now.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KKKLIP ART posted:

I know that for most home use a gigabit switch is a gigabit switch, but does anyone have a particular 8-16 port unmanaged one the like? I have a 5 port thats full and now have need for an extra port. Other option is also maybe to get a Ubiquiti US-8-60W for now.

I tend to buy whichever netgear unmanaged model fits the bill. At 16 ports I got this:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01AX8XHRQ

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I usually just get cheap tp-link or trendnet unmanaged switches, they seem to work fine if you don't need any features. I've got a couple of five ports, an eight port and a 24 port that have held up for a long time. I got an old Dell Powerconnect 24 port a few years back and the 40mm fans were too annoying for constant use unless I find somewhere else to put it.

Dillon2
Apr 3, 2018
If I close a PuTTY session after issuing a command to start a Minecraft server, does the original process continue running on the remote machine?

Alternatively what are some search engine keywords that would lead to resources for this kind of stuff. Please help I have literal brain damage

Dillon2 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 4, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

For unmanaged 8 port desktop-style (cables plug in the back) where you don't need/want link-speed feedback, I'm a fan of this one:

https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-GREENnet-Switching-Protection-TEG-S82G/dp/B00C2H0YFU

It's got a nice metal housing.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Dillon2 posted:

If I close a PuTTY session after issuing a command to start a Minecraft server, does the original process continue running on the remote machine?

Alternatively what are some search engine keywords that would lead to resources for this kind of stuff. Please help I have literal brain damage

Usually starting a daemon - a persistent process - will put you back at the prompt automatically with the daemon running in the background, whereas normal applications will tie up the session until you Ctrl-C out of them. You can kind-of work around that by running them in a VNC or 'screen' session, but usually for things intended to run as background services there will be some kind of systemd or whatever implementation that's intended to run as a daemon and you should look for that.

I know nothing about Minecraft in particular, though.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Dillon2 posted:

If you're starting the minecraft server by just running "/usr/bin/java (flags) -jar server.jar" then yeah, as soon as you close that remote session your minecraft server is going to die. And it's worth mentioning that shutting down like that can corrupt your minecraft world.

There's a ton of tutorials on how to setup a minecraft server, if you're using Ubuntu then this is a great resource. Configures it to run as a service, sets up rcon so you can use that to interact with the server without having to reattach a screen/tmux session, and shows you how to do a basic backup script that backs up your world every night and keeps the last 7 by default.

Now, with all that said, if you're brand new to linux and don't have anyone helping you then it might not be a bad idea to see about getting a little help just to make sure you're not inadvertently doing something bad/risky.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

I tend to buy whichever netgear unmanaged model fits the bill. At 16 ports I got this:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01AX8XHRQ

Either this or the equivalent TP-link look good. What kind of sucks is thinking about it, I might want something with detachable rack ears for when we move and I can set up a network closet, but I think at 50$, that might be asking too much. Their 24 port seems to be rack compatable but I dont know that I need another 8 ports and 50% price hike

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

KKKLIP ART posted:

What kind of sucks is thinking about it, I might want something with detachable rack ears for when we move and I can set up a network closet

Trying to future proof from a port density standpoint is good within reason, but trying to futureproof hardware form factors is generally ill advised. By the time you move and want to setup this closet you'll certainly be able to buy something at a similar price with a better feature set. Your needs may also change enough in the intervening time to make a previous purchase irrelevant.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Schadenboner posted:

Still though: 4 for 990 square feet? Is the mesh made out of lead or something?

:ohdear

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, I have one Unifi AP covering more space than that.

1x uap-hd
2x uap-ac-pro
1x uap-pro

1300sqft. :colbert:

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 4, 2019

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
2x UAP-SHD

less than 100sqm.

the security radio is entirely useless.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 4, 2019

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

3 bedroom flat.

5 APs.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 4, 2019

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

H2SO4 posted:

Trying to future proof from a port density standpoint is good within reason, but trying to futureproof hardware form factors is generally ill advised. By the time you move and want to setup this closet you'll certainly be able to buy something at a similar price with a better feature set. Your needs may also change enough in the intervening time to make a previous purchase irrelevant.

I mean it isn't even a future proofing, its something that I am going to do, just can't do it today. Next year after we get a house, I want to get a small network rack to hold all my crap, and I know that some switches come with dog-ears to attach them to racks, so I didn't know if there was a 16 or so port switch with little dog-ears.

e: and it looks like TP link has the L-SG1016, which is a 16 port gigabit switch with dog ears, so I might do that. Still time to think.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 4, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Are there PoE switches other than the Ubiquiti ones at consumer prices?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Schadenboner posted:

Are there PoE switches other than the Ubiquiti ones at consumer prices?

Zyxel, tplink, netgear...plenty of choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

KKKLIP ART posted:

I mean it isn't even a future proofing, its something that I am going to do, just can't do it today. Next year after we get a house, I want to get a small network rack to hold all my crap, and I know that some switches come with dog-ears to attach them to racks, so I didn't know if there was a 16 or so port switch with little dog-ears.

e: and it looks like TP link has the L-SG1016, which is a 16 port gigabit switch with dog ears, so I might do that. Still time to think.

I use a Trendnet TEG-S16DG and a set of bolt-on rack ears for it. Some desktop switches will come with the screw holes, and the attachment ears are something separate. If 16 ports is all you need, it's been solid for me since 2011, and I added the rack ears last fall when we moved into what we plan to be a long-term home. It's been nice having all the network gear racked in the basement where I don't have to think about it.

I do wish I'd gotten the 24 port model instead, because now with the bigger house and more devices, I've got a 24 port patch panel and only have the 12 or so active ports plugged in. Eventually I'll have to swap it out for something with 24 ports, and probably POE for the 2-3 Unifi APs we'll probably need to cover all the main spaces of the house.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 4, 2019