Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Couldn't you have just said "conglomerate" instead of making us all google "keiretsu"?

I didn’t google it, I just dismissed the comment out of hand because of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Try taking a couple of international business classes (or better yet, watch Rising Sun - it stars Sean Connery and Wesley Snipes, and there's titties)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jazzzzz posted:

Try taking a couple of international business classes (or better yet, watch Rising Sun - it stars Sean Connery and Wesley Snipes, and there's titties)

He posted from inside of his locker.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

you mean like any of the Japanese big 4, they're all part of a keiretsu

Kawasaki and Yamaha make all kinds of stuff, but Honda and Suzuki only make motor vehicles.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Sagebrush posted:

Kawasaki and Yamaha make all kinds of stuff, but Honda and Suzuki only make motor vehicles.

You probably meant they only make things with engines but I still wanted to be snarky

tranten fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 3, 2019

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Didn’t Yamaha start with pianos?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I have a Yamaha trombone

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Didn’t Yamaha start with pianos?

Yeah, that's why their logo is three tuning forks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"We're going to the museum after work."
"That stuff's for nerds...I'm going to the sand pits to tear it up on my Yamaha!"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Couldn't you have just said "conglomerate" instead of making us all google "keiretsu"?

All according to keikaku

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

All according to keikaku

Translator's note: keikaku means plan

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Chichevache posted:

He posted from inside of his locker.

What, you don't like titties? In a cop movie?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Jazzzzz posted:

What, you don't like titties? In a cop movie?

No. We're just trying to help you realize that using obscure words from other languages in an attempt to sound smart and sophisticated actually just makes you look like a tool, you loving nerd.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Akion posted:

No. We're just trying to help you realize that using obscure words from other languages in an attempt to sound smart and sophisticated actually just makes you look like a tool, you loving nerd.

He's using "unclar" words. :agesilaus:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
When someone uses a word I don't know I am usually happy to learn a new word and expand my lexicon. Seems better than feeling dumb for not knowing a thing and derision towards the person who shared it, but that's just me. :shrug:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I thought glorifying ignorance was an American tradition?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Coydog posted:

When someone uses a word I don't know I am usually happy to learn a new word and expand my lexicon. Seems better than feeling dumb for not knowing a thing and derision towards the person who shared it, but that's just me. :shrug:

shut up weeb

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Slavvy posted:

I thought glorifying ignorance was an American tradition?

If you wanna speak jay-pan-eese you kin get outta mah cun-tree.

While deployed to Norway with the US military I had the privilege of hearing a senior enlisted member mumble "why don't you speak fuckin' English?" At a pair of Norwegian sentries.

Like, everyone in that part of Norway speaks perfect loving English, they were just shooting the poo poo while on duty :psypop:

I think if it were 1985 and the Japanese were still poised to take over the economy of the entire world it might be more fair to expect everyone to know random terms from Neil Stephenson novels.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Akion posted:

The titties comment is me busting Chiche's balls b/c he's playing up the meathead cop stereotype he runs with every now and again, and I know the dude isn't stupid.

I find it a little ironic ANYONE, particularly a dude w/ an MP5 avatar and a comment about broken spines and roller locks of love, is trying to play the nerd card on this dead gay internet forum.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
This ain't a gimmick, bro. This is who I am now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

This ain't a gimmick, bro. This is who I am now.

Find and arrest/execute the absolute psychopath who put loctite on the brake pad pin bolt grub screw thingy today, please.

Why is every LS650 so painful :shepicide:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Find and arrest/execute the absolute psychopath who put loctite on the brake pad pin bolt grub screw thingy today, please.

Why is every LS650 so painful :shepicide:

I'm busy planting a gun on the guy who curls in the squat rack so I can get away with shooting him.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

I'm busy planting a gun on the guy who curls in the squat rack so I can get away with shooting him.

Why? That sounds like entirely justified homicide.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Why? That sounds like entirely justified homicide.

Agreed! But who knows if some Planet Fitness dork would be on the shooting panel.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, just put my bike in for MOT* and the examiner noticed the rear wheel nut was on finger-tight at best. I'm 99.9999% certain I tightened it up properly last time I adjusted the chain tension a couple of weeks ago, and I washed the bike at the weekend (and did about 40 motorway miles since) and didn't notice it then.

However IMO it's way more likely that I just completely forgot to fully tighten the nut (and then just missed it on my normal quick once-over when I washed it) than it somehow backing off in that period of time but either way that's really loving scary because how many times more might I have missed it? Also fair play to the examiner who noticed it at first glance of the bike as he was wheeling it in (and a big gently caress you to my riding feel because the slack on the axle meant the back wheel had like an inch of play). Now I'm going to spend my birthday going over every fastener with the service manual and a torque wrench because all I can see is the entire bike falling apart like a clown car the first time I go over a pothole.

* annual safety inspection required for all bikes over 3 years old in the UK - south-east UK goons I can really thoroughly recommend The Test Centre at Deptford because a) they're cheap and b) their inspectors are apparently savants, or at least considerably less loving stupid than me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Holy poo poo, just put my bike in for MOT* and the examiner noticed the rear wheel nut was on finger-tight at best. I'm 99.9999% certain I tightened it up properly last time I adjusted the chain tension a couple of weeks ago, and I washed the bike at the weekend (and did about 40 motorway miles since) and didn't notice it then.

However IMO it's way more likely that I just completely forgot to fully tighten the nut (and then just missed it on my normal quick once-over when I washed it) than it somehow backing off in that period of time but either way that's really loving scary because how many times more might I have missed it? Also fair play to the examiner who noticed it at first glance of the bike as he was wheeling it in (and a big gently caress you to my riding feel because the slack on the axle meant the back wheel had like an inch of play). Now I'm going to spend my birthday going over every fastener with the service manual and a torque wrench because all I can see is the entire bike falling apart like a clown car the first time I go over a pothole.

* annual safety inspection required for all bikes over 3 years old in the UK - south-east UK goons I can really thoroughly recommend The Test Centre at Deptford because a) they're cheap and b) their inspectors are apparently savants, or at least considerably less loving stupid than me.

Have you got the ultra-dumb axle that has nuts on either end?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Must be embarrassing to have a government stooge fix your bike

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Didn’t Rev Mo P Lester have a story recently about riding home on an axle missing one of the nuts?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah it was fine, I just had to stop every 10 miles or so to kick the axle back in. I mean, I wouldn't have passed it for state inspection if someone brought it in to the shop, come on.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Have you got the ultra-dumb axle that has nuts on either end?

Yes... is that more likely to back out then?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yes... is that more likely to back out then?

It is super more likely yeah. You have to do your chain tension in a particular way or poo poo just comes loose. What I normally do is tighten the nuts snug but not super tight, then set chain tension (only tension, if you have to back it off you've hosed up and have to start over), tighten the nuts up, then do a final quarter turn or so on the adjuster bolts so they don't come loose and fall out.

Also be sure to grease the nut threads lightly but NEVER THE FLANGE for what should be obvious reasons.

I honestly don't understand that design and particularly how it made it past the various safety legislations, or why they haven't changed it for twenty years, or what benefit it's supposed to yield. There is literally no secondary retention system, it relies entirely on things being put together with surgical precision and I can think of at least three ways to make it less terrible that wouldn't be difficult for the factory to do or alter the appearance of the bike at all.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Like... a slot in the nut and a cotter pin?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

moxieman posted:

They're called castellations. :smug:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

moxieman posted:

I assumed that they all had this.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

High performance bikes tend to do away with the castelated nut and cotter pin, but there's still deformed thread lock nuts, nylocks, nordlock washers, holes for safety wire, tab-lock washers, set-screw insert in the nut, methods of locking the nut on there, I think a lot of bikes use slightly deformed threads on the nut.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Was searching for info on the special edition Daytona 765 that's supposed to be announced late August, and came across this thumbnail:

Absolutely not clicking on that because I hate moto vloggers and don't want to gently caress up my youtube recommendations, but if he does go through with it, I'm expecting some incredible video later this year. Probably best for all yellow Porsches to stay garaged for the winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYmqZBDk_eI

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I refuse to click on any yt thumbnails with 'hilarious' faces in them, but this douche is an especial douche on top of all that

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Also be sure to grease the nut threads lightly but NEVER THE FLANGE
Pretty sure this is what got mine. And yeah the design of that thing is stratospherically dumb. Extra short nuts, one on each end, and no locking system of any kind. It's a wonder every one of those bikes hasn't crashed and killed someone.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Pretty sure this is what got mine. And yeah the design of that thing is stratospherically dumb. Extra short nuts, one on each end, and no locking system of any kind. It's a wonder every one of those bikes hasn't crashed and killed someone.

Most monster owners don't appear to believe in maintenance so that's probably keeping the numbers down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

MomJeans420 posted:

Was searching for info on the special edition Daytona 765 that's supposed to be announced late August, and came across this thumbnail:

Absolutely not clicking on that because I hate moto vloggers and don't want to gently caress up my youtube recommendations, but if he does go through with it, I'm expecting some incredible video later this year. Probably best for all yellow Porsches to stay garaged for the winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYmqZBDk_eI

Hopefully the next car he crashes into is a truck