Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I feel like it should absolutely be possible to make a streamliner motorcycle that actually looks cool, but none of the people inclined to do the former have any aesthetic taste whatsoever.

I mean it obviously is. Look at Burt Munro's bikes for instance

Or any other streamliner built for speed. They're always sleek and gorgeous.

I think the key difference is that streamlining for speed attracts people who want the highest performance with no expenses spared, while streamlining for fuel efficiency attracts people who....are cheap. So a Bonneville record streamliner ends up as this gorgeous hand rolled aluminum torpedo, while the hypermiler crowd just makes something out of cardboard and duct tape but it's 75% as good at 1% of the cost so how can you beat that??!?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

LodeRunner posted:

The closest attempt I've ever liked was something my dad did in the 1980s.

That one is well executed, though alas still dorkier than the world's fastest indian

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Considering the front brake lever and master cylinder are located on the right of the handlebar, why is the front rotor and caliper often located on the left of the wheel?

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

Sagebrush posted:

That one is well executed, though alas still dorkier than the world's fastest indian

But excessively comfortable by comparison. I'd much rather tour in a recliner position than Supermanning it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

epalm posted:

Considering the front brake lever and master cylinder are located on the right of the handlebar, why is the front rotor and caliper often located on the left of the wheel?

And while the clutch lever is always on the left, the clutch is most frequently on the right!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If I had to guess at a technical reason, I'd say that it's because a longer brake hose that smoothly crosses the front of the bike is better than a short hose that has to turn more sharply to stay on the same side. If you picture it in your head, you can probably imagine how a hose coming from the right bar and crossing through the yoke prefers to curve towards the right side of the wheel rather than back to the left. It definitely applies to the clutch cable; looping from the right of the bike engine to the left bar keeps it in place automatically, while if you went from the left of the bike to the left bar you'd have this big loop that would need to be zip tied in place or something.

But beyond that I don't think there's any technical reason. Assembly line optimization is always a possibility, too: maybe the guy who installs the brake calipers is already standing on the left of the bike after his previous task so you put the calipers on the left for convenience and time.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 31, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's usually whatever looks the coolest/tradition. Harleys always have it on the left, jappas on the right, anything dirt derived on the left. At least on dirt bikes it's nominally more convenient having a run of hose loop up over the headlight area as a way of taking up suspension compression slack.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

And while the clutch lever is always on the left, the clutch is most frequently on the right!

My clutch is on the right but the operating arm enters the crankcase on the left, behind the sprocket cover.

Front brake rotor is on the right too.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

LodeRunner posted:

Your dad is Craig Vetter?

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Yap

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Feet forward, fully faired, is someone's dad: all my biases confirmed.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

I'm not sure if I've sinned or not :iiam:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SV retrospective: https://bikes.suzuki.co.uk/news/the-story-of-the-sv650/

Suzuki supremacy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Article author:

quote:

The SV650 was first introduced in 1999 as an affordable-but-fun middleweight, available either naked or half-faired. No one, not even Suzuki, could have imagined the cult appeal the bike would develop,

Me on my Hawk GT:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Article author:

Me on my Hawk GT: Anyone on a monster:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

affordable (and not a piece of poo poo)-but-fun

Sagebrush posted:

Article author:

Me on my Hawk GT:

affordable-but-fun

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

LodeRunner posted:

My buddy has decided to attempt an Iron Butt Saddlesore (1000 miles in 24 hours) on a stock electric motorcycle. The last time anyone attempted an electric run was in 2014 on a bike that was heavily modified in body work, battery capacity, and charging. It looked like this:

An abomination, I agree. An attempt on a stock bike has basically been impossible until now, but as technology progresses and the charging infrastructure fleshes out, going all electric is becoming a possibility. I wrote up a thing about it here.

The next few years should be really interesting, and I am loving stoked to be doing things with electric bikes.

Are you sure that's the video you meant to link?

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Elviscat posted:

Are you sure that's the video you meant to link?

No but enjoy my high skill Symm play.

This is the proper one: https://www.electric.motorcycles/post/planning-an-electric-iron-butt

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i'm back to devising a series of excuses to get a 701 again....

as much as i like my drz, it sucks rear end on the highway and i don't ever want to do a long (think TAT) trip on it. i basically only use it to goon around town, ride the mountains and practice wheelies now.
i've been wanting a bike that will do longer hauls so i can make the TAT trip with my dad before he's done riding. i was looking at something like the 790 ADV but it's too expensive and frankly if i can stay in supermoto land that would be cool

i've seen there are some rally kits for these, but what do you guys who have this bike think about doing a longer trip on one?

i'm pretty sure i'd be buying a supermoto and then a set of the enduro wheels, i assume there's a way to get those to swap easily like the DRZ.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hey, just a reminder that you should get in the habit of doing a preflight check of your tires, chain, suspension, and brakes (at least) before every ride, so that you don't end up in a situation where your front brake's keeper pin set-screw works its way loose and one of your brake pads falls the gently caress out when you go over a speed bump :shepface:

Good thing motorcycles have two separate braking systems!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Frightening!

Razzled:
I rode a local goon's 701, it's a dirt Cadillac, heavy, but it barely notices your standard whoops or bump, suspension is as perfect as you'd expect a WP one to be, competent enough to handle two and single track, though obviously a smaller, lighter bike is better on either, from the torque and power and comfortable seat, I'd imagine it soaks up highway with ease, a perfect dual sport bike.

Get one you wussy.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Razzled posted:

i'm back to devising a series of excuses to get a 701 again....

as much as i like my drz, it sucks rear end on the highway and i don't ever want to do a long (think TAT) trip on it. i basically only use it to goon around town, ride the mountains and practice wheelies now.
i've been wanting a bike that will do longer hauls so i can make the TAT trip with my dad before he's done riding. i was looking at something like the 790 ADV but it's too expensive and frankly if i can stay in supermoto land that would be cool

i've seen there are some rally kits for these, but what do you guys who have this bike think about doing a longer trip on one?

i'm pretty sure i'd be buying a supermoto and then a set of the enduro wheels, i assume there's a way to get those to swap easily like the DRZ.

Supermoto suspension is harsher than that of the enduro and it's more difficult to swap dirt wheels into an SM than vice versa. Whether it's fine for a long trip is personal, it's more comfortable than a small dirt bike and I can ride my SM all day, but everyone on ADVRider swaps on aftermarket seats. Adding a rally tower and/or larger tanks will have you end up in 790 price territory I'd think; how about the new Yamaha 700 adv?

Furthermore the 701 isn't particularly well built and sometimes feels closer to a race bike than road bike when it comes to both character and maintenance.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I did a few Seattle - Oakland trips on my 701 and it was fine. Not great, but not terrible. It'll do everything you like to do with a drz but way better. There's just no room for luggage so you have to carry everything in a back pack and that get's very tiring.

Though I remember being alright with a drz on the highway, so if you hate your drz on the highway I don't think you'll be more enthused about the 701's characteristics on a highway. The bigass brake calipers of the sm will keep you from being able to fit dirt wheels. Get the 701 enduro and a set of 17's for sumo trim, but then you have a little baby girl brake for children that will be just fine because you won't be doing constant hard braking back-ins on the street.

The 701 is way better than a drz but I don't think it's gonna be so much better that you're pumped about the purchase. Get a 501 with 17's and street legalize it and also get an s1000xr for highway riding. jus tbuy more motorcycles all the time constantly forever and ever amen hail satan

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

LodeRunner posted:

2019 Neo-Tokyo is about to E.X.P.L.O.D.E

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That strapless rear-entry helmet that was doing the rounds a while back is finally on sale, and a gear shop up the road from me is offering test rides.

I'm not in the market for a new helmet right now (at least not at this price point) but I'll give them a call and see if I can try one out anyway.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
"Lining

Only the cheek pads and chin cup are removable, so cleaning will require you to carefully wash the whole helmet and allow it to dry naturally. "

Hahahaha. Yeah, Hard Pass.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've... never washed a helmet lining.

Of course it doesn't get as hot or humid here as it does a lot of places, the bike gets put away six months of the year, and there's some years where I haven't got out more than maybe two or three days in the entire season.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you've never washed your helmet lining, pull it out, soak it in the sink with like a teaspoon of laundry detergent, and prepare to be amazed/revolted.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I washed my main helmet once in the 5 years I owned it, but I didn't sweat much except sometimes in summer.

I was my dirt bike helmet every other ride because I loving soak that poo poo every time I ride.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've never washed my helmet liner in the 3+ years I've had it, and I ride in high temperatures all the time. I should probably get on that.

I should also figure out the correct way to wash my A* textile jacket, I think I can just use woolite and a machine wash on gentle/cold, but sounds like effort.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

ADINSX posted:

2019 Neo-Tokyo is about to E.X.P.L.O.D.E

I agree; I think there's potential behind the design. And I still have all of dad's notebooks and design records.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Is motorcycle insurance generally cheap? progressive just quoted me at $140 a year for regular coverage (not comprehensive) for my first bike 1999 honda shadow and I'm feeling a little bit of that too good to be true stuff.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

Is motorcycle insurance generally cheap? progressive just quoted me at $140 a year for regular coverage (not comprehensive) for my first bike 1999 honda shadow and I'm feeling a little bit of that too good to be true stuff.

It can be, yeah - depends on a few factors. If you're a single male under 25 trying to insure a new sport bike it's ridiculous, but a 20 year old Honda cruiser will be pretty cheap.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

It can vary wildly from quote to quote, the highest quotes will come from being: Male, under 25, on a high displacement fully faired sportbike. Even then there's no consistency. I got wildly different quotes from state farm for the same coverage on a Ninja 1000 vs. a z1000sx which is pretty surprising considering they're the same motorcycle.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

LodeRunner posted:

I agree; I think there's potential behind the design. And I still have all of dad's notebooks and design records.

I love it by the way, super cool dad.

Honda made that weird NM4 bike that was obviously inspired by the movie/manga, but didn't go far enough imo. What were they thinking putting a boring little 50hp parallel twin in there.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

I’m paying $1200/year for my Sportster 1200. $1 per cubic centimeter, that’s how we do it in Canada :nms: and we can’t even ride year round!

I try not to think about it but it’s pretty stupid to own a motorcycle here, what the Christ.

(I’m mid 30s, no accidents, riding for 10 years with continuous coverage on various bikes.)

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

I pay 200 bucks a year as a late 30s Male for a 2018 XSR700 with 12,000 average yearly miles. Shopping around before I bought the bike last year was super inconsistent. Prices are all over from insurer to insurer and bike model to bike model.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
UK bike insurance isn't as bad as Canada, but seems generally more expensive than anywhere in the states unless you stick to a 125 (and even then the first year is brutal, gf is paying as much in insurance as she did for the bike, £700).

At 4 years no claims mine's just starting to descend into reasonable prices for comp (£550 last year, £350 this year, TPFT would have been £160) for an >650cc machine.

The real hack is running two bikes, a reliable modern one insured for low miles (which brings the price right down) and a 25-30 year old one to do most of your riding on, as classics get consistently low rates (like £50 a year) no matter what.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

When I was 22 I got liability on an old Suzuki VZ800 for $140 a year, a year later I added a newer Yamaha R1, with comprehensive and my premiums went up to like $270 a year, motorcycle insurance is loving cheap.

I had a bike outright stolen from me, replaced it with a new bike a couple months later, and my premiums went down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Once I picked up my 790 Duke, my WR250X only cost $2/mo more to insure for full coverage. Sold the WR250X. My annual rate for the 790 Duke is ~~$450/year. It's with pretty good coverage (full replacement value, uninsured, medical, etc...)

35 with a relatively clean (1 speeding ticket 4+ years ago) driving record.