Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah it’s definitely easy to forget when it’s like that, or you have to come back and respond after x date

But wait lol noon? Like middle of the day? That’s just cruel

I’ve had cooler teachers that’ll do like Sunday at 1 AM or later Monday morning but that was more to hook us up especially if it was a holiday weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Every class except one stuff was due 11:59pm Pacific time regardless of where the student lives. One professor wanted stuff due before class time, her class is the only one I didn't get an A in

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I had to make sure I was on top of when homework assignments were due in my Cal 3 class because it seemed like the professor kept changing the due dates all the time. I'd check the homework for one section and see it was due on Saturday, so I'd put it off so I could work on homework for another class. Then I check again on Wednesday, and he changed the due date to Thursday. So I'd have to crunch through the homework for both classes. Or I'd rush to make sure some homework got done when it was due on Thursday, and he changes the due date to Sunday after I already got some questions wrong and got points off because I was trying to make sure I had anything submitted at all, and there's no way to change them once they've been submitted. I still don't know how I got an A in that class because I for sure didn't do great on the final.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I love classes when the only way you find out when poo poo is due is through group messages with other students

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I mentioned it to other people in my class, but they said they didn't notice. A bunch of them were apparently just using Chegg or something to find the answers to the questions without doing them. One day the professor noticed that a bunch of people had 100s on the homework and then he looked and noticed that the assignments had only been completed in like 5 minutes. He was pretty pissed, but I guess I got the last laugh on those other people since I actually learned the material.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Learning the material is orthogonal to getting an A in most of my classes.

Since I’m taking two summer classes this summer to make the six credit requirement I’ve finally run into a summer class that tries to be all serious. Gotta respond on the forums about discussion prompts every other day. Gotta install literal spyware that uses your webcam to track your eyes and hands while taking tests. Somehow this isn’t against university policy.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

250 word minimum per response, due by Sunday, 11:59PM

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Tomorrow I get to watch another friend graduate while I am approximately 1/4 of the way done. Fun

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Woof Blitzer posted:

Tomorrow I get to watch another friend graduate while I am approximately 1/4 of the way done. Fun

Just keep plugging away, we were all in that boat before.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Shithead teammate actually turned in the spreadsheet I sent him to help with an assignment. Gee, the chair of a computer department couldn't possibly notice the author's name different on the Excel file.

Got a 0 for it, which is a letter grade down.

Yay!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Got an email from the Veterans Certification Center at my university. Turns out they are lowering both the number and amount they will cover with YR. Went from being 120 students and unlimited right before I enrolled to 120 students and $10k matching last semester and now 90 students and $8k matching this semester. I realize I will have way less student debt than my colleagues and that YR can change at any time but still feel like I was sold a bill of goods that kept changing. I guess if I knew that we weren't going to be moving and I could rewind, I would have stayed local here and had it all covered.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Just submitted final assignment of the summer semester. Truly the shittiest semester I've ever had, undergrad or post-grad.

First class of Fall Semester is Saturday. I could flip a coin right now on whether I care to continue or not.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Already? My semester doesn't start until August 26th and I'm going crazy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Was just offered a graduate assistanceship in the fall (either a TA or research assistant). How do tuition waivers work with the post-911 GI bill? If I accept, they waive 9 hours of tuition costs and pay me $3000 spread over the semester.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I shouldn't have said anything about my graduation, since now I'm failing Physics II, like, bad. It's probably on me for trying to ram it through during summer session with grad application pending, but it's literally the very last class I need

My exam scores have gone 24, 48, 32
My score on Exam 1 and on 3 were the lowest in the class lol I feel like I'm leaving the university in absolute disgrace

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Choked.
Completely folded under pressure.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Physics II is hard as poo poo. I dropped out of school after I got super loving overwhelmed by that class. After that I enlisted with an 18X (yes, really) contract before ending up just 11B1P in Italy and Bragg. If you keep yourself from loving up like I did you should be okay. Have you been going to office hours and poo poo throughout the semester?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Physics II really hosed me up because I wasn't really getting it and I was thinking "I'm majoring in electrical engineering and I'm not understanding any of this electricity poo poo". It didn't help that the professor would teach the absolute bare bones basics in class and then the homework was immediately super complicated. I think I learned more from looking at the homework solutions than I did from his class. It also didn't help that he moved so fast because of his powerpoints that I had no time to retain anything. I would do a homework problem and swear up and down that he didn't teach it because I had never seen it before in my life. Lo and behold, it's in one of his slides and he just barely touched on it before moving on.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
4 weeks isn't enough time to cover 4 credits + a 1 credit lab of difficult material. Office Hours were never going to help wity weekly exams and multiple homework assignments daily, because there wasn't enough time. I'll just take it at community college and transfer it in and then apply for my degree again. I can take a year before the university throws me out and I have to reapply for admission.
I had to take Physics 1 twice, and I'm super dumb with Calculus, so it's not a big surprise or anything, but I'm feeling pretty embarrassed over the whole thing.
I was taking the class with some friends, so I didn't get to fail in comfortable privacy, and like 6 people I've known for several years get to watch me flame out. I was planning on having the degree done while I look for jobs -- now I just have to search for shittier jobs

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You could just get a job by telling them you just have one class left to finish before you get your degree. Then just never bother to actually take that class. That's what my sister did.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
looks like this graduate degree is gonna pay off - got a job offer after I graduate.

Just gotta graduate and pass the bar and poo poo but income will soon be a part of my life again

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Cojawfee posted:

You could just get a job by telling them you just have one class left to finish before you get your degree. Then just never bother to actually take that class. That's what my sister did.

I always wonder about this because I will have a single class that is held only in fall that I will have to complete, so I will be working on both the associates and bachelors at the same time. I'm tempted to just list both degrees on my resume and see what happens.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Generally speaking having the degree within the next six months is acceptable unless they're real sticklers about it. Some places most certainly are, so don't be surprised if they turn you down.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
If it's coming up soon, you can also just put the month and year that you anticipate graduating.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Vasudus posted:

Generally speaking having the degree within the next six months is acceptable unless they're real sticklers about it. Some places most certainly are, so don't be surprised if they turn you down.

Naked Bear posted:

If it's coming up soon, you can also just put the month and year that you anticipate graduating.

Yeah, seconding these, reasonable employers should give it a pass, especially if it's a supporting class.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Provide an expected by date on it, just be honest.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Not sure if you didn’t know, or care, but generally in addition to the good advice above: you can walk/graduate if you’re less than I think 6-8 units away I believe? Actually not sure if any colleges don’t let you. Yeah your degree of course isn’t going to post until you do the requirements

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You can generally walk up to a year early, depending on policy. I think at my school it was >91 credits for students enrolled full time.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I have 177 credits on my Bachelor's transcript, lol. Of course like 30 credits were useless military related credits (granted by an actual public CC though) that transferred in.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
My turn to walk was in May, but I noticed that no part of the process for participating in all that involved actual graduation. You can just get a gown and join the ceremony any time they have one lol

In any case, I didn't walk bc I don't have a "proud" setting in my brain. A lot of my friends from my grad class were disappointed. I never even told my family I'm graduating.

I can't really say when I'll graduate for real until I find a community college, but I guess I could this winter if I jump on that asap

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I gotta say I didn’t care to walk and was going to skip it all. I’m really glad I didn’t.

Flying_Crab posted:

(granted by an actual public CC though) that transferred in.

I mean, gently caress it 🤷🏽‍♀️

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I skipped walking both times and both times my mom +grandma were PISSED. I was the only one to graduate from college, let alone grad school, so I didn't realize how big of a deal it was to_other_people. Whoops.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Moms and Dads care about that stuff.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I floated the idea of skipping graduation when I was visiting my parents with one semester to go. It's Christmas morning and my dad and I spend a good 5-10 minutes batting around ideas for other stuff to do on that weekend—a family trip to the beach or even something ambitious like flying to New York for a few days. Then I hear my mom sob behind me.

Needless to say, I walked.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Walking was for other people for me. I was stressed out as gently caress at my graduation and look ghastly in the pictures. I felt better when one of my friends told me she almost had a panic attack on stage at hers. I'm glad I did it for family cause they did a lot to support me and my mom and dad would have been extremely disappointed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Walking at graduation is like the parade at the end of basic. It's not for your benefit.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Walking at community college was for me. Undergrad, and presumably postgrad (if I finish), is for my folks.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I skipped high school graduation and CC graduation. Feel like I robbed myself of closure with the high school one, but don't give two shits about CC. That was a large part of why I walked for my bachelor's and will when I do grad school some day.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

what should i use my gi bill for? i own my own company in a field where degrees dont matter. give me fun unconventional ideas or else its just going to sit there wasting away. also i hate school so if it involves like actual real schoolwork ehhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Geology coursework was really fun most of the time, but the year each of calc, chem and physics has been a real pain in the neck

I got to do lots of hiking and a little camping and made my own maps and poo poo

You could study art history or something

World's your oyster, it's your gi bill. Pick a good school and study anything that tickles your fancy