Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

buddhist nudist posted:

I agree with you that anybody who thinks Biden is destined to fail is seriously deluded, but pre-primary polling isn't exactly ironclad and IA and NH results have an outsized impact on the rest of the primary.

I agree about the impact of IA and NH, especially IA. You have to go back to 1992 to find a Democrat who won the IA caucus but didn't win the nomination and even that was because IA senator Tom Harkin was running. But Biden seems poised to win IA and it's hard to see what would lower his chances there that hasn't already been happening to him, other than maybe a new health scare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Marxalot posted:

https://twitter.com/mattkbh/status/1157324140476391426?s=20

So this map keeps getting passed around. How much of the solid red wall of Beto is because of his old senate campaign donations? Does that get counted up?

Right when Beto announced he was running for president, he immediately hit everybody up in Texas begging for money. Seeing as how intense the 2018 race was, he had tons of people's contact information. I got 4 separate texts from different numbers in the first few days so I assume that tons of people gave him money from then.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Armack posted:

I agree about the impact of IA and NH, especially IA. You have to go back to 1992 to find a Democrat who won the IA caucus but didn't win the nomination and even that was because IA senator Tom Harkin was running. But Biden seems poised to win IA and it's hard to see what would lower his chances there that hasn't already been happening to him, other than maybe a new health scare.

Fair. I haven't been following state-specific data enough to comment on his IA chances, I'm just a member of a DNC-scorned state so I know I'll get to watch the initial votes and dropouts before I have to commit.

Let me hold onto ignorance and hope. It's all I've got.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

buddhist nudist posted:

Fair. I haven't been following state-specific data enough to comment on his IA chances, I'm just a member of a DNC-scorned state so I know I'll get to watch the initial votes and dropouts before I have to commit.

Let me hold onto ignorance and hope. It's all I've got.

Actually you know what, I was going by old IA polls. Now that I'm looking at more recent data, Biden actually does seem to have some weakness in IA, and that is a relief. It's far from a reason to have confidence that he'll falter, but I'm gonna join you in your hope. If we can stop Biden in IA, we can stop him over time. It might take a Bernie-Warren alliance though.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Marxalot posted:

https://twitter.com/mattkbh/status/1157324140476391426?s=20

So this map keeps getting passed around. How much of the solid red wall of Beto is because of his old senate campaign donations? Does that get counted up?

He already had their email addresses.

But he doesn’t have anyone else’s it seems.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I like that if you remove Bernie from the map, the Blue turns mostly Green across the US for Warren. It seems a lot of America want them.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

Biden is going to fall and break a hip

It doens't mean he won't be the nom

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

a.lo posted:

It doens't mean he won't be the nom

remembering when Hillary passed out on 9/11 and people said it was too hot.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

a.lo posted:

John Delaney is an embarrassment to my state of Maryland

Delaney is a MESS, a BIG FAT mistake.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zipperelli. posted:

Can someone give me a quick explanation why all these rich idiots want fascism, like they wouldnt be affected in any way, which is wildly untrue?

Probably because fascism is the only system left that would prevent the rich from being skinned alive for destroying anything resembling labor rights, healthcare, the welfare state, and the biosphere on this planet.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Eh. You wouldn't be saying this if Bernie had surged five points in these polls or something. For all the talk about "polls don't matter" and as much as I tend to agree with it: I'd prefer to have polls showing that he's whipping rear end than not.

But again, the polls probably aren't going to show Bernie taking a strong lead, or perhaps any lead at all, ever during this primary. The polls are assuming the 2016 Dem primary electorate is going to show up for this primary, and if that's what actually happens then they're probably going to turn out to be correct. But that's probably not going to happen.

Still, it's deeply discouraging to see that worthless rear end in a top hat with this lead.

If Bernie surged 5 points in the polls the day of and the day after the debates I'd be saying ignore them even harder. Unless the debate consisted entirely of Biden literally making GBS threads himself on stage just before his dentures fell out and he confusingly stumbled around.

The assumption of the various pollsters when they're making up their weighting formulas is inherently anti-Bernie. Now this could be accurate or our wildest hopes and dreams could be true and Bernie is secretly ahead by 20 points as we speak. Regardless, anything other than a sustained building of support, like Warren has been showing, is more likely to be a weird fluke than it is to be real. So poll that shows Bernie suddenly jumping 5 points in 2 days without a corresponding seismic campaign event should be taken with an even larger grain of salt than polling at this point in the race should normally be taken with.

The institutional bias of the various ways in which politics penetrates the populace at this point are in opposition to Bernie both intentionally and unintentionally. And given the way in which the public is still loosely paying attention at this point in the race, Bernie is unlikely to benefit from the debates right now.

Once again, I'm not saying that the polls are meaningless. There is real value in looking at the trends of support and anyone polling sub 5% almost certainly really doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of making it. The current percentages should probably just be viewed as approximate values and with an asterisk indicating that most people aren't seriously paying attention in any actual capacity at this point. Consequentially, support for the leading candidates is vulnerable to cratering in the very late fall/ early winter when most people reluctantly start following politics once again.

Given the targets of voter suppression I do wonder if and how this will affect the primary. Warren and Pete voters are probably among the least likely to be affected while Biden and Bernie voters are among the most likely.

Armack posted:

I hope so but I want to point out how much the goalposts have moved. We went from "Biden will implode as soon as he announces" to "Biden will implode after his announcement bump fades" to "Biden will implode when the public finds out he doesn't give fuckall about women's boundaries" to "Biden will implode when he gets attacked by other candidates" to "Biden will implode when he starts sundowning at debates."

Now we're predictably at "Biden will implode because he will lose IA or NH" and my questions for anyone who thinks that are the following: (1) what evidence justifies the belief that Biden will lose IA or NH that couldn't also apply to some of the above campaign milestones? And (2) did you think the whole time that IA or NH would be what wrecks Biden or have you been repeatedly underestimating how durable his support is?

Full disclosure, I've also made bad predictions about the race, like thinking neolib candidates wouldn't attack Biden in debates. But I really want to understand the thinking of anyone who has confidence that the Democratic party isn't dominated by moderate, Obama-nostalgic boomers who will put Biden over the top.

While everyone has been cheering that this will be the thing that causes the Biden implosion, very little of the predictions of Biden imploding dating from before he even declared pointed to a specific point. More that the accumulated Bidenisms would cause a structural collapse of any Biden Campaign prior to voting. The most likely point where that will happen still being when most people actually start paying attention to this race instead of following it entirely based on snippets they see in the gym or on the TV at the place they go to for lunch.

As for the early races, Biden has a history of getting smoked there. In 2008 he was polling in the mid to high single digits in December. In January he got less than 1% in Iowa. He's always a been a poo poo campaigner that people like in the same way that they like Generic Democrat, and when it comes time to vote they abandon him. Remember that in 200fucking8 the motherfucker ran on how great he was at foreign policy and made his judgement on Iraq a central part of his campaign.

As a former total dumbfuck, now just your, simple, everyday dumbfuck, Biden was my guy at the start of the '08 campaign. If you aren't actually following politics he presents as an elder statesman who knows how to get things done. However, as soon as I actually started paying attention to things(around about his a noun, a verb, and 9/11 line) he lost my support. Because he is Joe Biden, and not only does he fail on his own merits he consistently runs against opponents who are both better than him and can run circles around him. His flaws are actually magnified in places like Iowa and New Hampshire, where the tiny rear end electorate means that pretty much everyone can talk to all the candidates and truly compare them.

Electorally, Biden is kind of an inverse Bernie. His supporters are both less enthused and more likely to make it through polling screens than other candidates. His entire campaign isn't about ideas or a message, it's simply about how he's the most likely to beat Donny. That is the weakest possible campaign sell, because any hint that other people aren't buying in on the idea that he's the most electable causes a failure cascade.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 4, 2019

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Armack posted:

Biden has been top in the IA polling, but Bernie has been consistently second and the last poll was just a 5 point gap. Iowa being a caucus will probably also lead to Bernie overperforming his poll numbers due to the enthusiasm and organizing gap between him and Biden. Will it be enough for him to win? Who knows but I suspect it will be close. It's basically the same story with Nevada as of right now.

Biden is winning in NH, but not by a large margin, and that is a strong region for Bernie. Will be interesting to see where the support shifts as candidates drop out or fade.

Biden is definitely winning SC if he's not in a coma. But Bernie has been coming in second now, and may be the only other candidate that reaches viability there, which would be a win of sorts.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

sexpig by night posted:

remembering when Hillary passed out on 9/11 and people said it was too hot.
“I feel great!”

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Apparently I got probated for saying this so: Warren has no health plan as part of her platform. She has no clue on healthcare and is latching on to whatever's popular.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Judakel posted:

Apparently I got probated for saying this so: Warren has no health plan as part of her platform. She has no clue on healthcare and is latching on to whatever's popular.

It really goes like this:
  • Bernie is the Universal/Single-Payer/Medicare for All AKA common sense candidate.
  • Warren is the public option candidate, which still sucks rear end.
  • Everyone else just wants to fund Romneycare Obamacare, AKA worthless.

The media is quite adept at confusing Warren’s :siren: plan :siren: with Bernie’s. I had some idiot in a shared Lyft ride the other day ignorantly proclaim how Warren’s entire political ideology is identical to Bernie’s, and she was shocked to learn from me that Warren was a republican until she was 46 years old.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

tylersayten posted:

It really goes like this:
  • Bernie is the Universal/Single-Payer/Medicare for All AKA common sense candidate.
  • Warren is the public option candidate, which still sucks rear end.
  • Everyone else just wants to fund Romneycare Obamacare, AKA worthless.

The media is quite adept at confusing Warren’s :siren: plan :siren: with Bernie’s. I had some idiot in a shared Lyft ride the other day ignorantly proclaim how Warren’s entire political ideology is identical to Bernie’s, and she was shocked to learn from me that Warren was a republican until she was 46 years old.

You wouldn't know any of this from anything she has said when given the opportunity on the debate stage recently or from looking at her site. She is terrified of solidifying her plan in the mind of the American voter because she knows it sucks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/GrassrootsJill/status/1155349199291969538

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Reminder that he is the reason why we didn't get single payer back in the 70s

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

This isn’t a reveal lol this was publicly known as early as 2017 lol.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Bernie is the best legit only deal over everyone in the race. Sorry but it’s truth. Everyone else is a runner up for something not as good. And he’s not the optimal candidate, but the only normal candidate in a lot of other places.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Judakel posted:

You wouldn't know any of this from anything she has said when given the opportunity on the debate stage recently or from looking at her site. She is terrified of solidifying her plan in the mind of the American voter because she knows it sucks.
It’s just a little bit suspicious that the person who has a plan for almost everything somehow doesn’t have one on the most important issue

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Looks like my prediction for poll movements was correct. A good chunk of Biden people that went to Harris after the first debate largely came back to him, and that's about it. Ugh, there's a 75% chance that the nominee is Biden, isn't there?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The numbers didn't go up. :smith:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Roluth posted:

Looks like my prediction for poll movements was correct. A good chunk of Biden people that went to Harris after the first debate largely came back to him, and that's about it. Ugh, there's a 75% chance that the nominee is Biden, isn't there?

No, Biden does not win 3 times out of 4 even if we're all wrong and Joe3030mentum is real. The best odds of any single candidate winning at this point is probably less than 30%. There are epochs of political time between now and when people actually start voting, and so very much can happen.

At this point in 2008:

Giuliani was the unbeaten leader in polls and second place was noted delegate vault, Fred Thompson.

Hillary was polling in the 40s and Obama was doing just a little better than Bernie is now.

At this point in 2012:

We were just about to enter the great "Oh god, anyone but Mitt" phase of the Republican poo poo show.

At this point in 2016:

We just learned that JEB! wasn't real, and we all road the escalator to hell.

Meanwhile Hillary was polling in the mid 50s and Bernie was slightly above where he is now.

This rodeo isn't anywhere near finished, Biden is assured of nothing, and we can still get a President who still believes he can fly if he waives his arms around enough.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

No one on earth is an enthusiastic Biden supporter. What someone says in response to a poll doesn't matter. What matters if they actually care enough to go vote for their candidate

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
I think a lot of people in this thread treat the primary as more ideological than it is. Most democrats are prioritizing "can beat Trump" over any policy preference. Biden will fall if (well, I think *when*, in my opinion) it becomes clear that he's a weaker candidate than his name recognition and proximity to Obama would indicate.

Of course "Democratic primary voters" as a group are dumb as all gently caress and I wouldn't put it past them to nominate Biden, they nominated Hillary after all. But Joe isn't looking so hot in these debates. I'm a little terrified he's in the early stages of dementia (the slurring, etc) and that that will become obvious after he gets the nomination (if he does). Bernie's a few years older but sounds 20 years younger.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I wonder if we're gonna have a debate with all the candidates at once before voting starts

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

buddhist nudist posted:

Biden is going to challenge Tump to how many hips they can break while falling live on stage.

It will have more voter impact than every debate.

That's correct, the only way a bipartisan debate will ever impact a voter is if one of the candidates trips and falls on them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gripweed posted:

I wonder if we're gonna have a debate with all the candidates at once before voting starts

Probably the next one. 2 percent in polls will knock out a lot of the who?s and the 130,000 donors will do a lot to take out the rest. So far 5 candidates are definitely going to the September debate, and I doubt more than 4 more of these chucklefucks make the requirements.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
We really just need to reduce the roster to Warren, Pete, Beto, Biden, Harris, and Bernie. Then people will start getting exposed more.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Judakel posted:

We really just need to reduce the roster to Bernie.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Preach the truth reverend. I love the gospel.

Bernie

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Gripweed posted:

No one on earth is an enthusiastic Biden supporter. What someone says in response to a poll doesn't matter. What matters if they actually care enough to go vote for their candidate

The closest i've heard anyone come to being an enthusiastic biden supporter are people who just say they want someone safe who can beat trump

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Was Hillary a safe bet?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

a.lo posted:

Was Hillary a safe bet?
She would have won if Bernie Sanders hadn't ratfucked her in the primary.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1157709379321454592?s=20

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Gyges posted:

Probably the next one. 2 percent in polls will knock out a lot of the who?s and the 130,000 donors will do a lot to take out the rest. So far 5 candidates are definitely going to the September debate, and I doubt more than 4 more of these chucklefucks make the requirements.

Biden, Bernie, Warren, Harris, Pete, Beto, Booker, and Klobuchar have already qualified, and Yang/Castro are very likely to. That's already 10, Gabbard has an outside shot, if she qualifies and makes 11 they plan on splitting the debates into 2 groups again.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gyges posted:

8 candidates have qualified for the next debate already.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
The fact that Klobuchar and Gabbard are qualifying or close to qualifying is evidence that the requirements are too low. Same with Beto and Castro, arguably Booker too. These people are barely polling at 2%, gtfo lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Old white man supports old white man, more news at 11