Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Lightning Knight posted:

hi cspam. I’m really sad. :(

I need to go back to seeing a therapist and taking my meds regularly but it’s so hard to motivate myself.

taking your meds regularly is extremely worth it, provided that you don't have meds that are hostile to your mental health. hostile in the sense that the negative effects outweigh the benefits. or even scenarios where you're taking a medicine that's supposed to be helping you that isn't doing much of anything; those i'd consider 'hostile' because they're taking up the space that something actually beneficial could fill

the ones i've ended up taking don't really fix things for me. but they provide a floor, feelingswise, that i don't find myself plunging through. all of the suicidal ideation and extreme depression thoughts have ceased.

the meds might not fix your poo poo, but can provide a base level to build upon

as for seeing a therapist--regularly + in a productive way---that's what i'm hung up on rn as well, so i can't offer any advice.

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 05:53 on Aug 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Dragomorph posted:

Doctor: Do you have suicidal ideation?
Me: No, I don't WANT to die, I'm AFRAID of dying.

lol that owns. had the same exchange with my very first therapist many years ago.

one thing to remember in that same vein as your positive post is that there was a time when the word capitalism wasn't even in the normal american lexicon. now it's front and center. being talked about and critiqued often. even normies/centrists don't recoil at the word as quickly anymore. as things get worse (i.e. rent and healthcare become more untenable) the arguments for leftist policies become so much easier to argue: "wait you work full time and cant afford to live, does that sound right to you?"

also more and more boomers are dying every day and gen z, although somewhat enveloped by consumerism, are extremely open to leftist ideology. the future looks bright

good luck my friend and thanks for the website

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chokes McGee posted:

yes and then follow it with “I don’t seem to have the energy to do anything and now I feel bad because of it”

eesh

i get this all the time and now that your story has given me the vocabulary to describe it I am going to bring it up on Monday

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
E:wrong thread

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

smarxist posted:

Starting to stack up these mass shootings like hobbit meals

CNN interrupted its live report of the aftermath of a mass shooting to go live to a mass shooting in progress. :patriot: :tif:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
e

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
last night I was at a bar that had an attempted armed robbery and a manager got shot in the hand (he's ok). after I got myself out of that spiral I wake up to another mass shooting. jesus christ

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Addamere posted:

i get this all the time and now that your story has given me the vocabulary to describe it I am going to bring it up on Monday

:thumbsup:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Consummate Professional posted:

last night I was at a bar that had an attempted armed robbery and a manager got shot in the hand (he's ok). after I got myself out of that spiral I wake up to another mass shooting. jesus christ

My "flee to the hills and start a collective subsistence farm" plan is becoming less and less of a joke and half the reason is that I don't want to get loving shot

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

genuinely want to ask my boss if they can help me get in touch with our Canadian branch

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I’ve started learning Swedish and wondering if they’d have me

like it’s cold sure but it’d be nice to have a visa in a place that wasn’t god awful

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Gotta remind myself it's okay to be sad today. It's a normal reaction to horrible events.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i asked my buddy a couple weeks ago if I could morally leave the u.s. while I can, or if i had to stay and fight for positive change, but he thought i was suicidal and reached out to my wife lol. it was nice of him to let her know he was concerned but nah, I meant lasso myself to my wife who works in medicine and can petition the canadian maritimes for a work visa based on her skills and education. she's got skills, and I've got a job I can do anywhere in the world provided I have an internet connection and reasonable access to an airport

I just see this country getting a whole lit worse before it gets better

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Eat This Glob posted:

i asked my buddy a couple weeks ago if I could morally leave the u.s. while I can, or if i had to stay and fight for positive change, but he thought i was suicidal and reached out to my wife lol. it was nice of him to let her know he was concerned but nah, I meant lasso myself to my wife who works in medicine and can petition the canadian maritimes for a work visa based on her skills and education. she's got skills, and I've got a job I can do anywhere in the world provided I have an internet connection and reasonable access to an airport

I just see this country getting a whole lit worse before it gets better
you have no moral obligation to remain in the US

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

agreed - a dumb rear end who was in the military

also. what job can I take around the world?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Arms dealer?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

sometimes I'll feel really depressed and tired for an hour or two and then comparatively fine and I've never really been able to figure out why it is

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

sometimes I'll feel really depressed and tired for an hour or two and then comparatively fine and I've never really been able to figure out why it is

Depressive mood swings are a well known characteristic of the disorder, given certain conditions ("triggers" aren't the proper word) the mind abates in reaction, as if trying to preserve itself

If possible, try to notice what leads to those episodes: they rarely need a precise, very noticeable event that makes you "oh that was most definitely the cause" in a day-to-day basis, the majority of those led by combinations of factors or even the unconscious perception of different situations that, in retrospect, were about handling a bunch of difficult emotions

(For example, I remember a particular day months ago that, after dealing with a lot of what we could call life bullshit in a single day, listening to the bad stuff that happened to different friends and feeling a lot of empathy, I got home late and in ten minutes, for what I couldn't figure out for the life of me, I bawled myself out and had a very strong "life is simply too much", only to much later realize that actually, yeah, I had a pretty full plate that day listening to the bad things that happened to my friends and being sensitive to that sort of stuff, that was an adequate response given my treatment of chronic depression. Dysthymia leads us to the contrary: to the shutdown of emotional expression, as a means of the mind to limit the load that it can handle)

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Just feels like I have absolutely no control over my life. I feel certain society will collapse in 10-20 years, I'm so pessimistic about the left's chances just judging from how no one can loving agree on anything, but I can't seem to make anything go right so I can at least be happy in those years. Can't get a job that makes me a good amount of money so I don't feel stressed out every time I spend on anything, couldn't hold together a relationship because I'm such a loving chore to be around, can't stop feeling ashamed about being trans. I feel like I just constantly seek out arguments here because I feel like maybe I can have some control over something small if I can at least win a stupid rear end fight online, but all the loving people here are just way better at being a petty rear end in a top hat than I am because I have barely any sense of humor or ability to banter.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

:same:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Depressive mood swings are a well known characteristic of the disorder, given certain conditions ("triggers" aren't the proper word) the mind abates in reaction, as if trying to preserve itself

triggers are absolutely the correct word, especially if it's bipolar.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I seriously wish my French was still up to snuff, but I don't think MY WIFE would be happy there :(

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
does she only eat freedom fries

france owns

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

triggers are absolutely the correct word, especially if it's bipolar.

Good to know! To clarify, I meant that I didn't know if trigger was the precise term

edit: fast shitpost ahoy

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

yeah if I spoke any french beyond please, thank you, and move your tongue - i need to fart, I'd move there in a heartbeat.

my wife took 6 years of spanish though I doubt it'd be work-in-a-hospital-good without a lot of immersive learning, so I'm eyeballing english speaking places lol

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

I feel like I just constantly seek out arguments here because I feel like maybe I can have some control over something small if I can at least win a stupid rear end fight online

that's a good observation, friend :)

"Control", in the way that we are taught to think of it, is an illusion: if life (the world, God, fate, anything that fits the bill) goes to gently caress us up, it will gently caress us up, regardless of how "in control" we are of things. If anything, "having more control" leads to much greater levels of stress and unhealthy mental behavior. I find that remembering that the world can't be dealt in terms of "personal responsibility" very helpful in such situations.

If possible, according to your own capacity, take your time to do the things you need to and allow yourself the necessary space to catch your breath. :)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Good to know! To clarify, I meant that I didn't know if trigger was the precise term

all good friendo :)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i wish that i knew what to do when i get irrationally anxious or terrified of something. i can recognize that my reaction doesn't make sense i can't seem to stop that reaction from happening.

like i can sit here and think about why nothing bad is going to happen if i buy more trash bags but lol i still feel like i'm having a heart attack

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

turn off the TV posted:

i wish that i knew what to do when i get irrationally anxious or terrified of something. i can recognize that my reaction doesn't make sense i can't seem to stop that reaction from happening.

like i can sit here and think about why nothing bad is going to happen if i buy more trash bags but lol i still feel like i'm having a heart attack

Breathe in through your nose for a four count. Hold your breath for a four count. Breathe out through your mouth for a four count. Repeat for a couple of minutes, and it may help get things under control.

Failing that, if you've been prescribed benzos, use 'em.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
just a reminder for the thread that its extremely easy to find marxists saying that the u.s. (or the entire capitalist system!!) has been doomed to implode in the next 5 to 10 years since like the 50's (The 70's were a particularly juicy time since S T A G F L A T I ON.) You don't have to imprison yourself within the iron bars of self-assured clairvoyance.

If you're specifically worried about society collapsing in x years... you're overestimating your own capabilities.

Hell, it's easy to find marxist economists saying that the u.s. has been ready for an economic downturn within the next 3 months on any number of blogs written in the past 20 years.

It's interesting that in the 90's it was the liberals who convinced themselves that they were living at the end of history, but now its our turn. And we don't have to to do this to ourselves.

If you're having climate related anxiety, this website was extremely helpful to me: https://climatefeedback.org/ . It's a website run by scientists (they have a sister one that does healthfeedback) where they respond to popular articles on climate change. Most of them are useful takedowns of denialism, but every month or so they come out with one that responds to the other side of denialism - apocalyptic despair.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

90s liberal end of history wasn't/isn't apocalyptic, it's the notion that the world has simply settled into a final state of perpetual equilibrium.

less "we're all going to die soon", more "everything important has already happened and now for the rest of eternity this well-oiled machine will simply hum along needing only minor tuning from technocrats"

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Hey thanks for the Climate Feedback website! A lot of my anxiety about the whole climate thing, besides being a minuscule piece of a gigantic, systemic problem, is just I'm not terribly well informed. And every time I go to learn more, it's like dunking my head into a bucket of anxiety.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

SunAndSpring posted:

Just feels like I have absolutely no control over my life. I feel certain society will collapse in 10-20 years, I'm so pessimistic about the left's chances just judging from how no one can loving agree on anything, but I can't seem to make anything go right so I can at least be happy in those years. Can't get a job that makes me a good amount of money so I don't feel stressed out every time I spend on anything, couldn't hold together a relationship because I'm such a loving chore to be around, can't stop feeling ashamed about being trans. I feel like I just constantly seek out arguments here because I feel like maybe I can have some control over something small if I can at least win a stupid rear end fight online, but all the loving people here are just way better at being a petty rear end in a top hat than I am because I have barely any sense of humor or ability to banter.

It's been worse before this. I mean there was a civil war with 600k+ people dead from it. Societal collapse is even beyond a civil war.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

hailthefish posted:

90s liberal end of history wasn't/isn't apocalyptic, it's the notion that the world has simply settled into a final state of perpetual equilibrium.

less "we're all going to die soon", more "everything important has already happened and now for the rest of eternity this well-oiled machine will simply hum along needing only minor tuning from technocrats"

More like Francis Fuckyouyama

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

hailthefish posted:

I’m not saying you’re wrong but I am saying that particular equilibrium is an apocalypse, just one of collective consciousness

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
yeah don't go full /r/collapse, but its important to acknowledge that things are really bad, but not ending

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Is stress addiction a thing? I mean, that's probably why I feel comfortable here, constantly on the verge of breaking completely, isn't it?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Sometimes people with PTSD do that

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

hailthefish posted:

Yeah what I'm comparing is the paradigm of pretending to have completely made a constellation of all future events perfectly within a theoretical framework. We are now doing it to declare the game's over and we've lost, wheras earlier the libs were doing it to declare the game's over and they had won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

hooray i got a phone interview this week, which will lead to getting ghosted again i bet