Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Even after the crash she's still got her foot on the accelerator.

maybe that’s a good indicator that it wasn’t a distracted driving situation, perhaps medical or something else. nah, goons wouldn’t rush to judgement like that :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
You didn’t have the audio on, did you.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

maybe that’s a good indicator that it wasn’t a distracted driving situation, perhaps medical or something else. nah, goons wouldn’t rush to judgement like that :thunk:

Lol, I love this site sometimes.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Lol, I love this site sometimes.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

when your child is paying more attention to the road than you are, you should just cut your license in half and sell your car

https://i.imgur.com/j62w320.mp4

(right-click, show controls, turn on sound)

I had this happen to me except it was an f450 utility truck. It sucked!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

FCKGW posted:

:allears:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It would be medical afterwards because the people in the other cars should've kicked her rear end.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Byzantine posted:

It would be medical afterwards because the people in the other cars should've kicked her rear end.

as a paramedic, this gave me a hearty :lol:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

Even after the crash she's still got her foot on the accelerator.

Cruise control?

Though I've never seen a mother in a SUV use that before.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

FuturePastNow posted:

Cruise control?

Even if cruise control was on, the second you touch the brakes it disengages.

That said, it looks like the car dips around 5 seconds which suggests she may have tried to brake, but definitely didn't use much force at all to do it. That feels consistent with someone looking back up from the phone, recognizing that they're gaining rapidly on cars in front, but thinking they're just going slow instead of actually stopped. By the time she realized what was going on she ran out of runway.

Put your loving phones down, people.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 4, 2019

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or use voice controls if one is that insistent.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

H2SO4 posted:

Even if cruise control was on, the second you touch the brakes it disengages.

That said, it looks like the car dips around 5 seconds which suggests she may have tried to brake, but definitely didn't use much force at all to do it.

For all we know her brake pads were down to metal and her tires were poo poo as icing on the cake? The sound doesn't necessarily suggest either though. I don't think she even tried to brake and just plowed in.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Fabulousity posted:

For all we know her brake pads were down to metal and her tires were poo poo as icing on the cake? The sound doesn't necessarily suggest either though. I don't think she even tried to brake and just plowed in.

In which case it'd still be her fault

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

FCKGW posted:

I don't think you should be driving in the first place if you have a medical condition that causes you to be unable to lift off the accelerator for over 5 seconds at a time

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm excited for my inevitable death due to a distracted driver. I think I see 4-5 people texting in their laps every day when cycling in town.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Zipperelli. posted:

This is why I will straight slap the phone out of your hand if I'm in your car and you're driving and trying to play with your phone.

Nah, gently caress that. Pay attention to the goddamn road.

Now you've got a lengthy discussion how they can actually drive safely while fishing for their phone.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Slaps phone out of drivers hand, instantly distracting them and causing them to ramp the car over the median straight into oncoming traffic.

SAFETY!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Slaps phone out of drivers hand, instantly distracting them and causing them to ramp the car over the median straight into oncoming traffic.

SAFETY!

Not shifting out of first gear and leaving the heat on full blast is the safest way to drive. Also looking at road signs is distracting so go 35mph no matter what.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

shame on an IGA posted:

Here's a detailed report from the NRC health physics nerds going exactly into the question of stowaway dosage from this very system.

TLDR: worst case, if you actually walked along the inside of the truck to keep yourself directly in the beam the dose from one scan would be ~30 mrem, equivalent to two or three chest xrays. Dose would be a small fraction of that if were standing still.

https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML0513/ML051360202.pdf

OTOH if you were able to tell when the scanner was at work and you could run across the cargo space to the opposite course of the scanner's path, then presumably the scanner would not be able to catch more than a faint vertical line of you.

How costly would it be to build a few gamma ray detectors that would blink lights so you could visualize the movement of the scanner?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
"any human stowaways show up in the cargo scan?"

"no sir, just this dog..."

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

SAFETY!

It's more fun to nudge the shifter into neutral while the driver is playing with their phone at a stoplight.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hemale in pain posted:

I think I see 4-5 people texting in their laps every day when cycling in town.

This is why I hate riding in the passenger seat on the highway.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

That's probably what happened here. The hood was higher than the roof of the SUV minivan and the sedan in front of it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
These are my thoughts on the recent shootings and how it relates to OSHA and if this gets me a 6er for politics in GBS then so be it.

There was a workplace shooting at the FedEx terminal in Marietta GA. Dude was fired, came back with a gun and killed the unarmed guards in the security theatre guardhouse and then went to kill his boss but they holed up and he killed himself before the cops got him. I was at that terminal a week before it happened, I was told about what happened while at the Missoula MT terminal because word travels fast, and a week after that I drove into the Marietta terminal and there was a police presence.

I told you that OSHA horror story to tell you this one.

My home terminal is Spartanburg SC. A few years ago one of the dispatch office workers was run over and killed by a switcher truck at 4 in the morning. At the time there was no company wide policy about wearing high visibility vests and radioing the switchers to say when they are on the yard. I learned about his death in Orlando from the dispatch office because word travels fast. Later that day I got to Spartanburg and there was a fire department truck dumping tremendous amounts of water on the ground to wash away his blood.

I knew Mike. When I started this SC-TX-FL run it was out of Greenville SC and Mike was one of the dispatch officers. Mike was affable and fun. Mike made the move to Spartanburg with some of the office staff and many of the drivers. One night Mike wasn't wearing a hi-vis vest and died. Now it is a company wide policy that everyone wears a hi-vis vest when walking on the yard and radios the switchers to announce that they are walking on the yard. Every time I get out of the truck I put on my hi-vis vest because of Mike.

OSHA regulations are written in blood.

Firearm regulations aren't written.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Anyone who claims it's okay to text and drive needs to have their phone rammed straight into their rear end in a top hat at high speed imo.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Drone_Fragger posted:

Anyone who claims it's okay to text and drive needs to have their phone rammed straight into their rear end in a top hat at high speed imo.

Honestly, it should just be a jail sentence at this point. EVERY SINGLE DAY, some loving rear end in a top hat on a phone is drifting in and out of his lane in front of me or next to me on my way to and from work. People are 100% willing to risk your death and theirs in order to text three minutes earlier than if they just waited for their exit. They're sitting at green lights. They're merging into my fenders. They're riding their giant, lovely SUVs directly over the lane markings for blocks on end. They're looking up and panic-steering back into their lanes, except when they panic-steer into the next lane. gently caress those people.

The punishment should be something like thirty days -> six months -> two years -> death.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Drone_Fragger posted:

Three texting while driving tickets should require a cell phone ramming device be installed in the car. You have to insert your current cell phone into the device and then it shoves it up your rear end when you start the car.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

How about we issue cellphone licenses. First offence you lose the license for a month, then 6 months, then permanently.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The site after that Kentucky gas pipe explosion:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

It probably looks worse up close, but that seems... not bad considering how far way the explosion was seen.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
SPC-Kentucky class, burn/destroy/contain

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

The site after that Kentucky gas pipe explosion:

This is doing weird things to my brain when I'm trying to figure out the scale. Is that charred area ~1km across?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

What's with the orange circle around the fragment on the bottom?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Looks like it might be orange mesh fence, maybe to cordon off that bit for investigation or something.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

What's with the orange circle around the fragment on the bottom?

If you open the image in a new tab and zoom in (the pic is huge) you can see the orange fenced-off area at the bottom contains a big-rear end piece of crumpled metal that looks like a shield or pipe. There's another cordoned-off section towards the the top/middle of the blast area, just to the right of the RR track, that looks like the origin of the blast that launched the bottom piece-- you can see the area that blew up initially, and where it blasted continually outward and isn't burnt due to the force/pressure contained in the pipeline coupling with the boomy action. Once you see the 'jet' area scorched into the ground it's like 'oh, yeah, that's where whatever happened, happened'.

E: This was obviously the site of Mitch McConnell's first horcrux

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 5, 2019

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Ah, phoneposting so it looked like MS Paint to me.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Ah, phoneposting so it looked like MS Paint to me.

It's kind of a squinter on a monitor too. You deserve a pass.

this time

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Whoops, wrong thread.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 5, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

God dammit Jim put that down we've got work to do!