Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I don't understand what 3 is supposed to achieve! And 1 seems likely to give him a heart attack. Basically I think we should ditch this dude and save the greathog swineherd, which isn't a numbered option for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
The previous choice didn't do anything to our stats, but this one does- Time for an express delivery!

quote:

Animate the old man's bed and make it jump out the window.

"Elekron potens, lita vita simulacra!" you shout up to the second story. Lightning strikes the building. (Gained Automation.) (+1 Automation) You can tell you've done something, because the old man gives a terrified yell.

"Here bed, here!" You whistle and make encouraging noises.

You hear what sounds like a gallop, and the bed leaps out the third-floor window with the screaming old man clinging desperately to the sides of the bed. As the bed lands, it smashes all four legs on the ground, breaking its fall. The old man bounces from the springy bed and collapses back onto it in a sprawled heap. He looks basically okay.

The bed whimpers, and you decide to end the spell and put it out of whatever simulated misery it's in. You do this with a wave and some muttered words.

To the old man, you say, "I'm a wizard, and I just saved your life. Remember that." No point in subtlety now, after all.

Too stunned to argue, the old man nods.

You take the old man to a public shelter. He doesn't say a word as you deliver him. The people already there sing your praises, but mildly, since they only kind of liked this guy. (Increased Adoration.) (%+5 Adoration = +1% Adoration)

Only one person you haven't found yet:

The greathog swineherd.
I think I should go inside now.

quote:

The greathog swineherd.

You head northwest out of town and catch the greathog swineherd, a short and stocky black-haired woman in a rough brown tunic, trying to prod her greathog herd ahead of her with a big stick. The twelve greathogs all stand taller than she does, round pink balls with comparatively tiny little tusks and snouts that only hint at the species' appearance before the ancients magically modified them to produce more meat. They're squealing in panic at the storm as the wind picks up, blowing from the east where the dark cloud lies.

"Can I help you?" you shout over the wind, squinting as it starts to kick up dust.

"Never mind me!" shouts the swineherd. "Just a run of bad luck to try to sell my herd today! Ain't none of the shelters will take 'em all. Gonna pick a direction and hope the storm goes the other, else no point in surviving with the herd all gone. Save yourself and pray for me."

Given your earlier divination, you think that plan will not work. What will you try instead?

1. Cast a divination to learn which way the wind will blow.
2. Use automation to turn the swineherd's stick into an electrical prod.
3. Cast a glamor on the swineherd that makes the greathogs more obedient.
4. Use vivomancy to grant the greathogs wings.

Buy the herd from her for 100 gold and tell her to run.
5. Tell the swineherd her current direction is unlucky; she should head south.
6. Leave the swineherd and her herd to their fates.

Just one person left to save, how do we do it?

quote:

Kris Kringleson

Appearance

A rugged, adventurous man with an enormous beard wearing leather armor

Magic
Negation 6
Automation 7
Glamor 7
Divination 5
Vivomancy 4

Skills
Ancient History: 1 (Bad)
Fighting: 2 (Decent)
Subtlety: 4 (Good)
Charisma: 5 (Good)

Personality
Optimism: 45% Caution: 55%
Humor: 52% Solemnity: 48%
Empathy: 66% Calculation: 34%

Relationships
Romances (Interested in men and women)
None

Tal: 59 (Good)
Church: 52 (Fine)
Undiscovered relationships: 4

Kingdom
Adoration: 61% Vilification: 39%

Inventory
Gold: 0 gold
Sword
Bracers of Stealth
Charisma Ring
Alchemy Set
Torc of Life and Death
Antidivination Ring
Crystal Ball
Petro the Golem
Golem Manual

Students
None

Pets
None

The Dead
Nobody

Plot Points
Chapter 1

You and Tal stumbled on an ancient magic academy.
You discovered a book of vivomancy, and an inquisitor chased you.
You found an ancient dueling ground.
You glamored yourself and ordered the inquisitor to leave and never report you.
You explored the academy library.
A divination revealed a potential ally in the form of a golem, so you took a manual on the operation of golems from the library.
You gained control of the golem.
You found a laboratory with a trapped specter.
You saw a vision of someone else becoming a specter and betraying the trapped specter.
You befriended the specter, who offered you gifts.
You freed the specter.
You went around the back way into the auditorium.
You retrieved the rings of the lead actor.
You went around the back way into the arena.
The fire from the dragon's breath began to consume the academy.
You rescued a dragon egg from the ancient airship that you used to drill your way out of the ancient academy.
You escaped the magic academy and headed for your hometown of Akriton.

Chapter 2

You flew up the coast of the Negative Sea back to Akriton.
Saint Ann, who seemed to be dying, told you that you might become hierophant, or a saint, or you might heal the sky.
You made your parents think your finds in the academy were purely of historical interest.
You stopped a thief who stole from Fruitseller Fran.
You saved a little girl by animating a gargoyle.
You saved an old man by animating his bed.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

We'll save everyone when pigs fly.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Go with more automation! :science:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I think we should divine the answer to this one.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Give him a shock-prod!

I honestly thought that the automation choice in the last scene was going to light the old man's bed on fire with a bolt of lightning. :ohdear:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Divination seems most likely to work here.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

ARE THOSE PIGS FLYING?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Got a multi-way tie here,

quote:

Cast a divination to learn which way the wind will blow.

You say goodbye to the greathog swineherd so that she'll turn her attention back to her animals, which she does. Then you touch your fingers to your forehead and cast your mind to the future. "Anemos pneuma, revelabit partum."

You sense the direction the wind will travel is…northwest. You suppose you could have figured that out from the fact that you divined the swineherd would die. Well, now you know for certain.

The swineherd stops, turns to you, and frowns. "What are you doing? Go save yourself!"

Divination doesn't do much, but of the remaining two options the coin says automation

quote:

Use automation to turn the swineherd's stick into an electrical prod.

Trying to enchant the swineherd's prod without her noticing seems like a difficult task, but then you have an idea. "Good swineherd, would you pray with me briefly before I go?"

The swineherd agrees, and after the two of you kneel and the swineherd closes her eyes, you lean over to touch the swineherd's stick and whisper, "Loqui leniter et portate baculi electrica." (Gained Automation.) (+1 Automation)

A bolt of lightning from above strikes the swineherd's staff, and the swineherd yelps and drops it.

"Have your prayers been answered?" you say, trying to evince shock.

The swineherd, not understanding what just happened, blinks and says, "I guess that's Abraxas's way of saying I've got to get a move on! Come on, herd!" She taps one of her greathogs with the stick, and it crackles on impact. The greathog leaps with a start and begins bounding to the northwest. It panics the others, who follow it.

The swineherd boggles at this and laughs with delight. "It's a sign from Abraxas for sure! 'Get a move on, girl!' Well, I will, and you'd better get a move on yourself, traveler." (Increased Church Relationship.) (%+10 Church = +4% Church)

You think you've done enough to help the swineherd outrace the storm, and you return to town.

Having saved every villager who would have perished, you head back to your apartment feeling quite proud of yourself. You make it all the way back to your basement apartment, fumbling with the key in your haste to get inside. Once inside, you slam the storm doors shut and close the curtain of dried leaves, giving the negative energy something to eat in case some should seep through the doors.

A wrenching feeling of dread grips your stomach—but you realize it's partly your glamor wearing off.

"Vos imperiats, dominex," Petro says, startling you from near the door where you entered.

You shake your head. "Nothing you can do," you tell it.

You open a tiny hole in the storm doors and poke out a periscope of your own design, built into the doors.

You watch as the black-and-purple cloud engulfs the whole town, building by building. At the cloud's touch, flowers wither, trees drop their leaves, and wooden shutters blacken as though charred.

Finally the cloud comes for your building, blocking your view of anything but its own darkness. You quickly retract the periscope and shutter the hole.

All you can do now is wait and listen to the strong wind buffeting the exterior walls, and the sizzle of the wood and paint in reply.

You try studying one of your magical tomes, but your eyes just dance across the page, as you can only think of your failure to protect the town.

quote:

The next day is spent rebuilding and replanting, an effort that the whole town takes part in. You pitch in as well; the physical labor is good for you, as is getting to know your neighbors better. (Gained Fighting.) (Gained Charisma.) (Gained Adoration.) (+1 Fighting) (+1 Charisma) (+3 Adoration) Townsfolk fix wooden gates that have been eaten through, dig up withered grass and plant new seed, and slaughter livestock that won't have enough to eat in the coming months.

And then, as is traditional, there is a party the next day to celebrate everything the town still has.

The market square is festooned with colored paper streamers and lit with red, orange, and yellow glowbugs swarming around, illuminating the gathered townsfolk. A greathog carcass turns on a spit in the center of the square. You see nearby the swineherd you saved, being congratulated by another townsperson on the succulent meat. The smell of cooking meat hangs thick in the air.

The fiddler, a young person with spiky hair and ample piercings, plays a merry tune to entertain the people in the long line for food. An area to the side is cleared for dancing, and many Akritonians are already reeling through tunnels of hands and do-si-doing around their partners.

The fiddler finishes their song, and everyone claps. Before they can start another, one woman sings loudly: "Who's got a lotta luck?"

And the crowd around her sings back, "We do!"

The fiddler gamely accompanies Akriton's favorite song.

Who's got a lotta luck? We do!
We got our loves, our friends, and you!
The world is broken, but we've awoken
To all our treasures true.

We thought the world would end. Look now!
We got a lovely world, and how!
Smiling faces and warm embraces
Will happen anyhow!

Who's got a lotta luck? We do!
Loved ones and good companions true!
If once again the world should end,
We'd start this song anew!

What do you think of the crowd's song?

1. I like the theme of trying to stay cheerful amid sadness.
2. It's oversimplified. People aren't never-ending fonts of cheer.
3. Needs more cowbell.

quote:

The fiddle player goes back to improvising, and you spot Tal at the head of the meat line, dressed in a dusty crimson tunic and wearing her purple stuffed monkey Noodles. She sees you, smiles, and waves. You can't hear what she says to the man handing out the meat, but in response, he gives her another extra big slice of pork. Tal comes over and offers to sit with you.

Are you going to eat the pork?

1. Yes, all meat is great.
2. I eat meat, but not pork.
3. No, I don't eat meat.

quote:

"So, what have you been up to since we got back?" you ask Tal.

"Got a hunt that's been giving me trouble," Tal says. "Dodecapede descending from the mountains to eat crops. I've tried twice now to follow it to its lair, but having twelve legs apparently makes you a crazy fast climber. Followed the tracks into some mines, then I lost the trail."

She glances at you, then nudges you repeatedly. "Eh? Eh? Wanna come? Wanna come?"

1. Offer to assist in the hunt, free of charge.
2. Offer to help in exchange for half Tal's fee: 200 gold.
3. I pass. I'd rather spend time studying magic.

We didn't save the crops but we did save the people, so that's something to celebrate! It's party time, we've got minor decisions about food and music but more importantly what do we want to do about Tal's hunt?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

cowbell, cow meat, cow hunt

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Kris Kringleson seems like a 1, 2, 1 sorta guy.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Maugrim posted:

Kris Kringleson seems like a 1, 2, 1 sorta guy.

He's definitely a 1, 2, 1 sorta guy.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I'm really curious to see how the game explains our not eating pork specifically, since none of the Earth religions which forbid it exist in the setting.

Also, theological question, does greathog count as pork or have they been altered too much?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

The_White_Crane posted:

Also, theological question, does greathog count as pork or have they been altered too much?

Greathog is what they are eating at the feast (one of the hogs of the person we rescued), and that seems to be what prompted the option, so probably does count.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
We'll keep our cheer.

quote:

I like the theme of trying to stay cheerful amid sadness.

You smile. Even in the midst of sadness, the town has always rallied to lift each other's spirits. And why not be optimistic? Your community can't be broken by some random bWe'lad weather events, however destructive. (Increased Optimism.) (%+10 Optimism = +5% Optimism)

But the pork is a bit much- what if we knew that pig?

quote:

I eat meat, but not pork.

You sit down with some chicken that was prepared for you instead.

We'll still help Tal out though.

quote:

Offer to assist in the hunt, free of charge.

"I'd be happy to help," you say. "Free of charge. That's what friends are for."

Tal gives you a hug. "Oh, thank you! I knew I could count on you."

You know that Tal grew up poor, and she still constantly lends money to her mother that isn't always repaid. So she must be grateful that you didn't ask for a share from the hunt. (Increased Tal Relationship.) (%+10 Tal = +3% Tal)

"What have you been up to, anyway?" Tal asks. "Actually, wait a minute, I think I know."

You shrug. "Yeah, exploring eldritch mysteries, peering into the heart of truth itself, and accumulating enough power to rule the world. You know, like ya do." You say it in a low voice, so only Tal can hear, and she giggles and gives you a scandalized look.

"You shouldn't joke," she says. "There are any number of people in this town who would kill you for what you are." She nods to the dancing, laughing people. You suppose she's technically right, but it's a little hard to believe at the moment.

You notice that Tal has finished her plate. The fiddler is playing a peppy tune.

Across the square, you see Mayor Cos greeting various townsfolk as he makes his way to the dance floor. The young mayor looks genuinely aggrieved as he goes from one townsperson to another, consoling people for the loss of their gardens and animals.

You wonder whether asking the mayor to dance might put him in better spirits. You've always found him interesting and personable.

Or maybe you'd prefer to dance with Tal?

Or, you suppose, you could just animate Tal's favorite stuffed monkey Noodles for fun. Tal would probably like that.

1. Ask Tal to dance.
2. Ask Tal if she wants to see Noodles dance—out of sight of the townsfolk, of course.
3. I excuse myself to go talk to Mayor Cos.

How are we going to party?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Lets go cheer up the Mayor. I kinda want to Romance Sam, but this is new content.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Talk to the mayor.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Let's talk to Mayor Hunk

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Time to meet the mayor.

quote:

I excuse myself to go talk to Mayor Cos.

"I'm going to go talk to Mayor Cos," you say.

"I need to get ready for the hunt tomorrow anyway," Tal says. "Good seeing you!"

quote:

Across the square, you can see Mayor Cos shaking hands with various townsfolk; his bright-orange tunic makes it easy to find him in a crowd. Cos's spectacles give him a scholarly air, but he has a ready, friendly smile. His belt is overburdened with various pouches and tools hanging from it, including a book pouch, a sheath for a pen, lockpicks, and a bag of dice.

How do you know Cos, besides as mayor?

1. We once worked together replanting after a death cloud came through.
2. We sometimes fly kites together on the commons.
We were in a band together before he was mayor.

quote:

Cos has been mayor for eight years. Before that, he was a kind of dilettante like yourself, doing odd jobs for everyone in town. He had a lot more spare time then, and he had a band.

What instrument did you play in Cos's band?

3. Cowbell.
4. Flute.
5. Drums.
6. Trumpet.

quote:

He spots you and makes his way through the crowd toward you.

"Kris!" he says. "I was just looking for you. I've been thinking about your request for a professional name, and I've assembled a list of tasks the town would like done,
any one of which could lead to a professional calling endorsed by the town. Just stop by my office in the next couple of days. I'll have the details there."

Is there something you'd like from the mayor this evening?

1. He's cute. I'd like to ask him to dance.
2. He hears everything. I want a sense of how much people know about me.
3. I'll ask about the board game he designed.

So, how do we know Cos and what do we want from him?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

LightWarden posted:

So, how do we know Cos and what do we want from him?

We were 4, a flautist, and we want to know about 3, the boardgame he designed.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

3 and 3, Cowbell and a boardgame.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
1,1 do good things with good people

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Arcanuse posted:

3 and 3, Cowbell and a boardgame.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
There was a time when cowbells were cool with us.

quote:

Cowbell.

You've honestly never been that much into the serious study of music. You just enjoy adding a little pizzazz. (Increased Humor.) (%+10 Humor = +

The band practiced and performed in the bar that has now been converted to Cos's office. As band leader, Cos was always trying out new music, handing out new sheets every rehearsal. "So this piece is interesting because it was last performed two hundred years ago by a trio of chanting saints! But I've adapted it for our instruments. Let's see how it goes."

Some experiments succeeded, and many failed, but Cos never lost his optimism and upbeat attitude. "Okay, let's try tuning again. And this time, let's really listen for that wavering sound that tells us we're not quite in tune."

You think Cos knew being a musician wasn't really your heart's calling, and on occasion, he tried to get closer to you and understand you better. But you were afraid to say what you really wanted—it was silly, it was impossible, it was forbidden. Plus you were still a teenager. You think Cos knew there was something you held back, but he respected your boundaries. You remained just two musicians in a silly band that is now just a memory.

But now we're more into board games.

quote:

I'll ask about the board game he designed.

"Mayor Cos, I understand you designed a board game," you say.

"Why, yes, I did!" Mayor Cos says. "How did you know about that?"

"I think there's general excitement about it," you say. In actuality, there is general perplexity in Akriton over the way the mayor can be very friendly one moment, and the next, dragooning a hapless bystander into playing his impenetrable game. But you think you might like to be dragooned.

"Well, if you think you might want to playtest—"

"I'd love to," you say smoothly.

Mayor Cos blinks, surprised that the interaction went this way so smoothly. "Well—yes, spectacular! Do you want to go play right now? I think I've just about finished greeting everybody I need to."

"Right now works for me."
"Let's dance now, and play games after."
"Wait. Let's talk about how you'd feel about having a town wizard."

Well, we had votes for playing games and also dancing, so I think we can do both.

quote:

"Let's dance now, and play games after."

You suggest games later, after dancing.

"Sounds excellent!" Cos says.

The two of you thread your way to the center of the group of couples dancing to the fiddle music.

Who will lead?

1. Cos will lead.
2. I will lead.
3. Alternate doing cool moves at each other in a dance-off.

quote:

The fiddler declares that they're taking a break, and the dancers disperse to get refreshments.

"Thank you, that was lovely," Cos says, taking your hand and kissing it.

What do you think of your romantic prospects with Cos?

1. Not really feeling it.
2. I'm interested. I'd like to give him a discreet kiss.
3. I'd like to whisper an invitation to come back to my place.

How are we dancing and how do we feel afterwards?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

3, 2. We're into it, want to do cool dance moves, and not overload the nerd right away.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Anticheese posted:

3, 2. We're into it, want to do cool dance moves, and not overload the nerd right away.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Anticheese posted:

+1

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Dance-off time.

quote:

Alternate doing cool moves at each other in a dance-off.

You do a brief tap routine to the fiddle music, then stomp and point to Cos. He does a variation on your routine, spins once in the middle of the thing, then stomps and points to you. You do a variation on what he did, spin twice in the middle, leap in the air at the end, then stomp and point back to Cos.

A crowd gathers to watch both of you. Cos has more admirers in the crowd, and gets a bigger "whoo" from them when he finishes. But you have your steady base of admirers in the crowd, too—you think you've never even met most of them.

By the end of the dance-off, Cos's version involves seven spins, a few leaps, standing on his head, a cartwheel, walking on his hands briefly, and a flip to an upright position. You try imitating the move, but while upside down, you feel immensely queasy and fall over. Cos is acclaimed the victor by the crowd. (Increased Cos Relationship.) (%+2 Cos = +1% Cos + 2% Charisma)

At least we tried. Time for the consolation prize.

quote:

I'm interested. I'd like to give him a discreet kiss.

You pull Cos closer and give him a discreet kiss. His kiss in return is interested, but perhaps not convinced yet. You'll work on that.

"Nice," Cos says. "Would you like to come back to my place for…board games?"

"Definitely."

What wonders await?

quote:

That evening, you go to Cos's place to play his board game.

Cos's place is a humble one-story house in a middle-class neighborhood, with a beautiful flower garden out front that you suspect Cos tends himself. You can see the backyard is a bit more industrial, as you've heard Cos has set up a personal foundry, mill, and metal shop in the back under the cover of a wooden overhang he built himself.

The inside of his place shows a similar devotion to all manner of hobbies: you see a pottery wheel, a half-painted clay sculpture of a book, a flute, a guitar, some hand drums, a shoe surrounded by cobbler's tools, and the biggest bookshelves you've seen outside the magic academy. You see Cos has some sense of organization, but it appears to be losing out to his unlimited interests.

He has nevertheless swept the table clean for your game, which appears to consist of abstract icosahedrons and colored tokens on a map of Akriton. Dice with varying numbers of sides sit next to the board. For whatever reason, the game seems to need a thirty-sided die; each face on the nearly spherical die is a diamond.

"I call it 'Akriton Ascendant,'" Cos tells you proudly.

"Is it about running the town?" you ask.

"Write what you know, they say," the mayor says sanguinely.

Cos begins to describe the rather complex game. Each turn, you take control of one important role in Akriton—the pastor, the hunter, the foundryman, and so on—and do whatever that person does best, changing the economy, defense, and happiness of the city. Thus, each player is like a mayor of sorts, turning their attention to whomever most needs attending to. This lets you accumulates fame points, which can only be cashed in by taking the ledgerman role. It gets more complicated from there, but that's the gist of it.

"The general theme is how, even though the town has gone through crisis after crisis over the years, everybody just learns to adapt to the new reality," Cos says. His look turns conspiratorial. "I haven't added a wizard role yet, but that would be very interesting. It could be a very powerful piece, but surely should also be a very risky one. Perhaps on a Church visit, that player loses all fame that hasn't been banked…." He gives you a significant look. You suspect he knows more than he lets on.

You notice that when the Church-visit event happens, everybody in the game is half as productive, with no particular benefit. So that says something about Cos's religious attitude.

As you sit down to play, you decide you'd like to impress Cos. How will you do that?

1. Focus on winning fair and square.
2. Impress him with my banter instead of my play.
3. Cast a divination that lets me always see the top card of the event deck.

He's shown us his game, so let's show him ours. How do we want to play this?

quote:

Kris Kringleson

Appearance

Magic
Negation 6
Automation 8
Glamor 7
Divination 5
Vivomancy 4

Skills
Ancient History: 1 (Bad)
Fighting: 3 (Decent)
Charisma: 6 (Excellent)

Personality
Optimism: 50% Caution: 50%
Humor: 56% Solemnity: 44%

Relationships
Cos

Tal: 65 (Great)
Cos: 53 (Fine)
Church: 56 (Good)
Undiscovered relationships: 3

Kingdom
Adoration: 64% Vilification: 36%

Inventory
Sword
Bracers of Stealth
Charisma Ring
Alchemy Set
Torc of Life and Death
Antidivination Ring
Crystal Ball
Petro the Golem
Golem Manual

Students
None

Pets
None

The Dead
Nobody

Plot Points
Chapter 1

A divination revealed a potential ally in the form of a golem, so you took a manual on the operation of golems from the library.
You saw a vision of someone else becoming a specter and betraying the trapped specter.
You freed the specter.
You rescued a dragon egg from the ancient airship that you used to drill your way out of the ancient academy.

Chapter 2

Saint Ann, who seemed to be dying, told you that you might become hierophant, or a saint, or you might heal the sky.
You made your parents think your finds in the academy were purely of historical interest.
You saved a swineherd from the death cloud.
You agreed to hunt a dodecapede with Tal.
You went to Cos's place to play a board game.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

1. Kris Kringleson doesn't cheat (at board games). :colbert:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Arcanuse posted:

1. Kris Kringleson doesn't cheat (at board games). :colbert:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
2. Fun is more important than winning.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Honor is more important than winning...

quote:

Focus on winning fair and square.

You decide to focus on winning the game. What better way to impress Cos?

Unfortunately, some of the biggest variance in the game comes from a deck of event cards based on Akriton's history. It must be true that "those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it," because you keep blundering into one catastrophe after another. You put all your food in the southern granaries, and they burn down in a fire. You go hunting after a legendary cockatrice and miss two turns after being turned to stone. Each time, Cos can tell you don't know the relevant town history, and he tries to edify you.

This is illuminating until it's annoying, and when you snap at him to stop it, you realize that you haven't really improved your standing with Cos. He asks if you'd like to do something else, and seeing that there are many more turns before your humiliation is fully realized, you agree. (Decreased Cos Relationship.) (Gained Ancient History.) (%-5 Cos = -2% Cos) (+1 Ancient History)

That all took a fair amount of time, and you still haven't made any romantic moves on Cos. Did you want to kiss him?

1. I'm just not feeling it with this guy. I should go.
2. I'll wait for him to make the first move.
3. Yes, I'll kiss him and see what happens next.
4. Let's move things along to the bedroom. That sounds more exciting.

Achievement: I Want to Be Ledgerman Played Cos's board game.

Which is just as well, because we weren't winning that way. What now?

quote:

Kris Kringleson

Appearance

Magic
Negation 6
Automation 8
Glamor 7
Divination 5
Vivomancy 4

Skills
Ancient History: 2 (Decent)

Personality

Relationships
Cos

Cos: 51 (Fine)

Kingdom

Inventory
Sword
Bracers of Stealth
Charisma Ring
Alchemy Set
Torc of Life and Death
Antidivination Ring
Crystal Ball
Petro the Golem
Golem Manual

Students
None

Pets
None

The Dead
Nobody

Plot Points
Chapter 1

You freed the specter.

Chapter 2

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
1. I don't think this is happening (and Sam awaits).

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, 1.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Maugrim posted:

1. I don't think this is happening (and Sam awaits).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Time to move on.

quote:

I'm just not feeling it with this guy. I should go.

"I should go," you tell Cos. "I had a nice time tonight, but maybe we should just stay friends."

Cos looks a bit disappointed, but he nods. "I know what you mean," he says. "Besides, I suspect our relationship will eventually grow complicated anyway. You haven't exactly been keeping a low profile."

You leave Cos on amicable terms. There was no harm in exploring the possibility of romance, and you couldn't have let him down more gently. (Increased Cos Relationship.) (%+5 Cos = +2% Cos +2% Charisma)

quote:

You awaken the next morning a bit groggy, having stayed up rather later than you intended.

"Bon marne, dominex," your golem intones from the corner.

"Good morning," you say.

You head to Tal's place to embark on the hunt you agreed to.

You and Tal travel north to the Crown Mountains, where snow from the past winter is still gradually melting into the River Mnemos. It is three days' ride to the feet of the mountains, where your quarry was last seen munching farmers' crops. You travel without animals, since they couldn't follow you into the mountains.

You hunt a dodecapede, a shaggy, white-haired, twelve-legged mammal bred by the ancients as a beast of burden for the mines. Tal says it looks rather like a giant, elongated Pekingese dog.

The dodecapede's tracks are no great feat to spot: each depression is nearly two feet wide, leading very evenly up the hill through new-fallen snow. Tal assures you that it's not as big as it appears; the beast knows to step in its own tracks and widens them that way.

You have never been much help to Tal on her hunts before, as you've never been a great fighter compared to her, so you're eager to prove your worth this time.

What's the plan?

1. Follow the tracks, blast the beast, bring back the head.
2. Create a new crop for the beast to eat with vivomancy, and convince the clients the problem is solved.
3. Find a new food source for the dodecapede with divination, and convince the clients the problem is solved.

Leave poisoned food outside the beast's lair. (Requires alchemy set and 25 gold.)
4. Revive the old mine machinery with automation to drive the beast out of its lair and possibly recover some gold.
5. Defeat the beast in melee with my sword and Tal's luxgladius.

We've got a critter to hunt, how do we handle it?

quote:

Kris Kringleson

Appearance

Magic
Negation 6
Automation 8
Glamor 7
Divination 5
Vivomancy 4

Skills
Ancient History: 2 (Decent)

Personality

Relationships
Cos

Cos: 55 (Good)

Kingdom

Inventory
Sword
Bracers of Stealth
Charisma Ring
Alchemy Set
Torc of Life and Death
Antidivination Ring
Crystal Ball
Petro the Golem
Golem Manual

Students
None

Pets
None

The Dead
Nobody

Plot Points
Chapter 1

You freed the specter.

Chapter 2