Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I got busted dodging taxes this weekend by DNR, so I need to register my Husky anyways, and my road wheels are just sitting in the garage...

I'm out on Kitsap, so how about a meet-up at the Southworth Ferry Terminal, then a ride to and through some trails out at Tahuya? I'm also open to any other suggestions. Does the second weekend of July work for anyone? Or heck, even the weekend of the 4th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
I'm down for either July 6/7 or 13/14.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
4th weekend will probably be a poo poo show but I should be available for anything that's not too intense.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I got blessed with a 24 hour work day on the 6th, but I'm down to clown on the 7th, y'all good to make that the date? Say meet up around 0900? We can do some 4x4 trails and light ATV trails at Tahuya, fun and quick riding, nothing painful.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I would probably be down for that. I'm a pretty novice 34 year old rider so im not looking to kill myself or anything, just cruise around trying to avoid destroying my bike or body.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
I live in Seattle so I'll be there whenever the 8:20 sailing from Fauntleroy gets in.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I might have to back out for Sunday. Wife needs the car. God we need a second vehicle.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
Bummer but it happens. Elviscat you still interested in going?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gonna do some Walker Valley tomorrow afternoon too if anyone cares

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, I'm down, I have to work until 8ish am, so I'll be a bit stretched for time, would you mind meeting me at the Fred Meyer's on Bethel and Sedgwick, where the red x is? I should be there by the time you are from the ferry.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Any thoughts on mousse Vs tubliss Vs tubes?
Mainly for long weekend dual sport camping trips.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Shelvocke posted:

My word is worthless on this, but in the youtube channel "Race to Places". Lyndon always goes for mousse over anything else. Other folks here can chime in if it's worth the hassle or not.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm a day from taking my CRF on a 500+ mile BDR trip. What am I forgetting to get/do to be ready?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Shelvocke posted:

tubes if you're doing any highway mileage

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Realistically a lot. I'll stick to tubes for now, unless I switch to trucking the bike to the dirt rather than riding it here (unlikely.)

Also getting a much more local job soon, might consolidate into a new CRF450L at the end of he year. Anyone have experience with them?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well, I probably won't get my bike DOT legal before tomorrow, some poo poo happened last night, I can just throw it in the truck in the morning and head out though.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Shelvocke posted:

Realistically a lot. I'll stick to tubes for now, unless I switch to trucking the bike to the dirt rather than riding it here (unlikely.)

Also getting a much more local job soon, might consolidate into a new CRF450L at the end of he year. Anyone have experience with them?

I really wanted a 450L but the 500 EXC-F was the same price so why bother tbh. The KTM is fantastic.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Well, I probably won't get my bike DOT legal before tomorrow, some poo poo happened last night, I can just throw it in the truck in the morning and head out though.

Cool, I'll be at the Fred Meyer around 9

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
Probably should have asked this before, but what bike do you have? I'm in front of the Fred Meyer

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh poo poo, you're super early and I'm late, I'm 5 minutes away, white Husky 250

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Oak Ridge area near Yakima, WA. The hills across the valley are Bethel ridge area.

After a gnarly climb up some fist and skull sized rocks. The GS crew all ate poo poo on it but my wife and I had no drama on our enduros.

I am so used to trail riding in the tight muddy rooty rutty woods at Walker valley that I literally have no cornering skill on wide flat graded gravel or sand which is like 40% of this trip.

Today we rode Ellensburg to Wenatchee and into Cashmere; WABDR section 3.

We even got my long box crew cab mile long super duty across the big wash near Beehive. It was extremely butt puckering.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 10, 2019

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Eastern WA is a nice change of pace. Are you camping off the bikes? You'll be better at gravel sweepers by the end. Sit far forward as you can, leg out, and stay on the gas.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
We have a combination of camping, hotels, and Airbnb. We have my truck as our purse and camp hauler. I'm 1000% going back to Bethel ridge and camp for a couple nights with the bikes along.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Dang that sounds like fun and a prudent set-up

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gullous posted:

Eastern WA is a nice change of pace. Are you camping off the bikes? You'll be better at gravel sweepers by the end. Sit far forward as you can, leg out, and stay on the gas.

You're right about the sweepers. I feel a lot more confident with them.

It was kind of dicey on descents, I jetted it for 3k-7k' before we left so under about 2k the throttle was really snatchy. Fortunately those were always at the end of the day when I was already exhausted and sloppy.

Ruby grade, oh my God

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 13, 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

All my jobs got cancelled today, so I hosed off around noon, rode 16 miles to some trails, and then road 16 miles of trails in Tahuya, pretty decent day for it, I ran into a berm and a stump snuck up under my barkbuster and removed a turn signal, fortunately it wasn't damaged and I was able to get it back on and working.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
My folks retired to the Olympic peninsula, and as I visit my folks on a semi-regular basis, I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on a dual-sport that might be able to store well, or tips/suggestions on storing one in a garage where it won't be ridden for 6 - 7 months at a time. Even when I lived in the upper midwest (Illinois and Iowa), I never completely stored my bikes and rode them year-round whenever the roads were dry.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Skreemer posted:

My folks retired to the Olympic peninsula, and as I visit my folks on a semi-regular basis, I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on a dual-sport that might be able to store well, or tips/suggestions on storing one in a garage where it won't be ridden for 6 - 7 months at a time. Even when I lived in the upper midwest (Illinois and Iowa), I never completely stored my bikes and rode them year-round whenever the roads were dry.

Do they sell ethanol free fuel around where your folks are? If yes, fill up and leave it.

If not, I would probably just drain the bike before leaving.

We have a similar situation and a ttr125 and 225 that have been doing well on that schedule.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 4, 2020

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

me and Gullous are gonna go to walker tomorrow. He's a monster and I'm a big baby. come join us if u want

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
yes sounds good!

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
So I bought a used 250 dual sport (xt250) to get back into riding and try my hand at some dirt. I'm in the greater Seattle eastside, anyone got any suggestions for starter trails/dirt roads in western Washington State?

Edit: Also, does WA require a separate off road sticker for plated bikes? the DOL website isn't very clear about already-plated vehicles.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 4, 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

You don't need the ORV pass, but if you go to a state park you'll need a discover pass with you.

There's a ton of forest/fire roads out near Paradise near mount Ranier, I think the closest ORV areas to you are Walker up north, down in Olympia, and out in Tahuya.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

BabelFish posted:

So I bought a used 250 dual sport (xt250) to get back into riding and try my hand at some dirt. I'm in the greater Seattle eastside, anyone got any suggestions for starter trails/dirt roads in western Washington State?

Edit: Also, does WA require a separate off road sticker for plated bikes? the DOL website isn't very clear about already-plated vehicles.

It all depends on where you go.

I have a plated bike with orv tabs and have been stopped to check for both depending on the area. I was told by the DMV that I needed both if I wanted to ride both. Plates are obviously required for roads (and most dirt forest roads, especially in national Forest). Orv tabs are required for most off-road or trail riding in the state (and Oregon). If you haul your bike somewhere to ride, it's a good idea to also have whatever vehicle passes you will need for that vehicle (state or federal passes). Between my orv tabs and plate on my bike, and a discover pass and America the beautiful pass in my car, I've never had a problem anywhere I've been.

Reiter is the closest place to Seattle. It's small and pretty novice but it's a great place to go and learn. They do have some tough terrain there as well but you have to try and find it. Tahuya is much bigger and has a wide mix but still very beginner friendly. I would suggest going with someone familiar with the area. Riding alone can be dangerous.

If you're plated and just want to stick to dirt roads, there are a lot of roads around Snoqualmie pass/stampede pass area. Not a lot of trails but fairly well maintained dirt roads with good views and easy cruising.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm plated and live about 25mins from Tahuya, I can often navigate it without dying, if anyone wants to make the pilgrimage out to this side of the water, Green Mountain is near here too and a blast, and has great views of Seattle from the summit on clear days, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything much heavier than a 250, it's narrow, rocky, and full of hikers and cliffs.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Me and a friend went to Northern France for a few days to do the first few hundred miles of the trans-Euro trail.

He rode his recently purchased 2014 Tiger 800 and is relatively new to trail riding. He dropped it 10 times on the first day but kept getting back up again. The bike is way oversized for most of the trail but he took it like a champ.

I was on my 2000 xr650r which was totally brilliant and tractored over everything. The only downside is kick starting it every time he needed help pulling the bike out of a gully.

https://imgur.com/F6kfTxD

Here he is getting stuck from refusing to gun it up this hill. It's much steeper than it looks and he ran out of confidence before he ran out of traction.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I have the reverse problem. I’ll rip the throttle all the way up a hill but on the way down I get scared and ride the brakes the whole way down

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
We turned out bikes off for those; let the engines cool down a bit. Uphill is way more fun.

Sidenote: camping hammocks are great

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Went riding yesterday with a few strangers from thumper talk. What was supposed to be some casual Forest road riding and exploring of an area quickly turned into technical Pacific Northwest alpine single track. It was mostly all good though as it was fun but challenging as we were trying to reach a nearby peak.

We were taking a break in a large open area before the final stretch of trail when this guy comes rolling down out from said peak. He's alone, smoking a cigarette, wearing work boots and jeans and riding a tw200. Says the trail isn't too bad.

We press on. It's tight and keeps getting tighter. Switchbacks on a 40 degree slope. The trail on average is about a foot wide. The switchbacks were steep and often laced with huge rocks or stumps. To get up them without falling, you either needed to pivot turn (I can't do) or attack then with speed and sort of wall ride the high side to come through it with momentum. I eventually got it down until I didn't. As I was going through one of the switchbacks, I gave it throttle and rode the high side. I didn't see the root on the exit that bounced my front tire out of the corner and heading off the trail and down the mountain. I bailed and prepared to hug some foliage.

The bike landed upside down but didn't slide very far. It landed on a small bendy tree. I somehow managed to grab a small tree and stopped from rolling further down.

That was the end of my day. I was exhausted, had dead lifted my bike a few dozen times realizing it was only going to get worse. I was hungry and needed real food. The trail was steep enough that I rode most of the way out with my engine off. Each corner was steep enough that in 20 feet of entry and exit of the 180 switchbacks those two points were 15-20 feet of height difference.

It was a good day riding though. Found a new area and will definitely be back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Alpine riding can be intense! Steep and long distances, you get committed. We got lost at Taneum years back. Down a steep hill and wading through brush, we finally found a road.

Poopsock, our frustrated guide

We went up to Split Rock at Walker a few weekends back. It's surreal going from ferns and roots to deep alpine crags and moss (on foot). There area unsanctioned trails leading off from the area but my MX tank doesn't have the range to explore much beyond the direct route.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 18, 2019