Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Any hot strats for beating Death Knight in chap 4? Knightkeeler kinda works, but he doubles and kills all my units

Weaken him with Gambits first, since he can't counter those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Any hot strats for beating Death Knight in chap 4? Knightkeeler kinda works, but he doubles and kills all my units

Use gambits, and weaken him with any units that can survive a round of combat with him, then finish him off with a Knightkeeler.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sadly on hard mode gambits do like 1 damage to him because of the ability he has.

You could try fishing for Hilda's crest proc using divine blessing to reset, but that's iffy as hell.

If you recruited Sylvain early you would have had the option to keep the special lance from the previous chapter, which combined with the anti-horse combat art should oneshot him.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Clarste posted:

Weaken him with Gambits first, since he can't counter those.

Gambits do like, 4 points of damage

And he'll murder someone on his turn

The Shortest Path posted:

If you recruited Sylvain early you would have had the option to keep the special lance from the previous chapter, which combined with the anti-horse combat art should oneshot him.

I'm playing BL and don't know what this lance is

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ah my bad, that's for a later optional boss encounter.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

Stuff that helps,

• Clear out the area around him and save all your Pulse charges
  • Abuse Gambits for the counter-proof chip damage
  • Use the AVO tiles around him to sneak in some high-risk poke
  • Try to get someone with 12 AS to avoid being doubled
  • Have a lance wielder with Knightkneeler deliver the coup de grace

I did it on hard, and if that idiot Felix hadn't missed three 61% attacks in a row I wouldn't have even taken losses. Luckily I'm playing on casual so I was able to run Sylvain in for a Knightkneel before Dimitri finished up.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

e:f;b

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Gambits do like, 4 points of damage

And he'll murder someone on his turn

I'm playing BL and don't know what this lance is

If you have 9 people hit him for 4 damage, that's 36 damage without counters. Then hopefully the 10th person can finish him off.

That said, killing him in chapter 4 on Hard/Classic is pretty difficult and is certainly not expected of you.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

waah posted:

The answer to tournaments is always Dedue.

Always.

Also, let's go full on synergy/corporate sell out and remake fire emblem 3 houses, but with the casts of Persona 3/4/5.

You'd all buy it.

Punch Yosuke
"Dude, I'm in your house!"

Also, I'd buy it only if every social link character was playable. Then I'd recruit Lala-Chan for every playthrough. She'd be the best dancer.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Lmao I finally beat Golden Deer route. Felix and Leonie, two of my strongest units, end up together in the epilogue. What do these incredibly powerful warriors become? Street performers, because no one needs them for mercenary work anymore. In a sea of positive endings this just struck me as especially sad, like drat Byleth why not give them a pension or something these two singlehandedly defeated Nemesis after he one shot you

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Honestly the dark seal classes aren't great? Like the only one who actually really gets use out of it is Hubert, and even then it's not great use? Neither mastery is amazing. Dark Mage has the better mastery if I had to judge, but yeah.

Dark Mage is Posion Strike - If unit initiates combat and lands a hit, targeted foe loses up to 20% of max HP after combat.
Dark Bishop is Lifetaker - Unit recovers HP equal to 50% of damage dealt after defeating a foe.

The only Dark Magic bonus uses it gives is to Miasma.

Though unless you planned to make him a Dark Knight or get him to S+ he won't get Dark Tomefaire so I guess his class doesn't honestly matter. I think Warlock mastery is better though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Do the -3/5 weight skills from Heavy Armor apply to weapons too or just misc equipment?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

so level ups are not changeable with a soft reset, but tea parties and certification trials are changeable

does anyone know if Faculty Training can be changed if you keep at it? I'm short just enough gaining a level in riding that getting one "great" instead of "good" would probably push me over, should i keep at it or just give up and keep going?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Skippy McPants posted:

Do the -3/5 weight skills from Heavy Armor apply to weapons too or just misc equipment?

It deducts from total weight. It's good having both.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Akarshi posted:

Lmao I finally beat Golden Deer route. Felix and Leonie, two of my strongest units, end up together in the epilogue. What do these incredibly powerful warriors become? Street performers, because no one needs them for mercenary work anymore. In a sea of positive endings this just struck me as especially sad, like drat Byleth why not give them a pension or something these two singlehandedly defeated Nemesis after he one shot you

Fairly sure Felix isn't ever going to worry about money.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm aware of the split between Black Eagle route, which chapter should I make a hard-save at to minimize playing it more than once.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

I'm aware of the split between Black Eagle route, which chapter should I make a hard-save at to minimize playing it more than once.

Just before the February mission. The choice comes at the end of it.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
I'm at the Chapter 4 fight and I didn't know it was going to be the Death Knight's first appearance (even though he's been mentioned if you talk to people while exploring). So while I did change Byleth to Thief meaning that he's got Steal, his speed
is three points lower than the Death Knight. Luckily, I actually managed to make Hilda master her budding talent of Heavy Armor (because I wanted her to do something other than just axes) and unlocked Seal Speed. The only problem is actually hitting him since he stands on a avoid panel which I'll likely solve by using a Gambit to push him out of the panel.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Eimi posted:

Honestly the dark seal classes aren't great? Like the only one who actually really gets use out of it is Hubert, and even then it's not great use? Neither mastery is amazing. Dark Mage has the better mastery if I had to judge, but yeah.
This is true, but you forgot to consider that stealing the death knight's dark seal to become a dark bishop is extremely cool and good. It's not like the game requires super optimised character builds anyway.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

so level ups are not changeable with a soft reset, but tea parties and certification trials are changeable

does anyone know if Faculty Training can be changed if you keep at it? I'm short just enough gaining a level in riding that getting one "great" instead of "good" would probably push me over, should i keep at it or just give up and keep going?

You can savescum Faculty Training to Great. It can take a while though. I know for a fact it isn't true (I've managed to go from Good to Great in one load) but at times it's felt like they got locked in a loop and I had to do another activity like fishing to knock them into Great. Again, certainly not how it works, but it can feel like that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Pyro Jack posted:

I'm at the Chapter 4 fight and I didn't know it was going to be the Death Knight's first appearance (even though he's been mentioned if you talk to people while exploring). So while I did change Byleth to Thief meaning that he's got Steal, his speed
is three points lower than the Death Knight. Luckily, I actually managed to make Hilda master her budding talent of Heavy Armor (because I wanted her to do something other than just axes) and unlocked Seal Speed. The only problem is actually hitting him since he stands on a avoid panel which I'll likely solve by using a Gambit to push him out of the panel.

Unfortunately, he's immune to Seal Speed. I tried that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The named characters seem immune to gambit debuffs. I just tried to be clever on chapter 12 and the game didn't reward me for it.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016

Clarste posted:

Unfortunately, he's immune to Seal Speed. I tried that.

Welp, looks like I won't get a Dark Mage yet unless I want to beat the Death Knight.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Immunity to status effects is usually granted by a skill, so gotta check those.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Made it to the end of part one and have many thoughts of which these are but a few:

This exchange was probably my biggest lmao of the game so far (Black Eagles). Paraphrasing, but it was just the fact that it was all played completely straight:

Ed: We should call ourselves the Black Eagle Strike Force
Prof: I love it
Ed: Wow thanks, I was up all night thinking of it

Doing a whole bunch of A rank relationships for a single character in a row makes them seem kind of sleazy.

When you see your war children all grown up for the first time filled me with straight-up joy in the way few, if any, video games have done before. This, more than any other moment, made me start immediately planning my next two runs.

Encounters with former students and allies are kind of brutal at first but become more comedic as time passes. I think part of it is the constant tonal shifts between fishing and chior practice and the battlefield combined with how quickly things happen Oh cool it's Ignatz, I never recruited you but we were friends, I'm sure you're retreat and we'll fight again soo.... nope. Oh well. See you I guess. Oh look it's Claude.... etc etc

And now I don't get to play for a couple of weeks :argh:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I finished edgelord route with no deaths. Heckin woof that was tough.

That said boy, that ending really REALLY cheaps out on you huh. Just "by the way we went and started killing the slither guys off screen don't worry about them." Super lame.

Edit: Lmfao Caspar married Edelgard what the gently caress haha.

That said general FE credits thing but it's always a weirdly sad note whenever it mentions the units aging and dying. Even if it's happy and they changed the world for the better something about it always gives me a bittersweet feel. I usually walk away from these games liking the cast and trying to save everyone so ehh. Just me being odd.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 4, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I finished edgelord route with no deaths. Heckin woof that was tough.

That said boy, that ending really REALLY cheaps out on you huh. Just "by the way we went and started killing the slither guys off screen don't worry about them." Super lame.

Yeah, right up until the obvious final battle, I was sure I had another arc ahead of me where the story would deal with that.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I wish combat arts scaled to the end game. Like, once my dudes started being able to get 2 attacks in the vast majority of the arts became obsolete.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Dark Mage in particular is such a strange class. The only characters who get dark spells naturally are Hubert and Lysithea, and the class is genderlocked so Lysithea can't be it and Hubert can't be recruited, leaving it only as an option for Black Eagle (unless you like the idea of someone else picking it up just to use Miasma forever). Not that it's that great on him either since the class doesn't even get Dark Tomefaire, it just has Heartseeker which isn't that great, and just going regular Mage gets you Fiendish Blow. I feel like the game would just be straight up improved if the genderlocked classes just weren't.

In short: Dark Seals are a fairly baffling and only marginally useful item in the first place, don't feel bad about losing out on them.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 4, 2019

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This is a good fire emblem even though it removed so much of what I thought made it fire emblem

I hosed up and started on normal though but at least it’s classic.

Oh well an excuse to play through as another house one day

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Why is there no music from this game on YouTube? Listening to music from the game I'm currently playing via YouTube while I sit at work has been a mainstay in my life for ten+ years. This is killing me.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

Why is there no music from this game on YouTube? Listening to music from the game I'm currently playing via YouTube while I sit at work has been a mainstay in my life for ten+ years. This is killing me.

Nintendo is really on the ball with taking it down. My history is packed to the brim with removed songs.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

McTimmy posted:

Nintendo is really on the ball with taking it down. My history is packed to the brim with removed songs.

That's what I feared. :(

I just want to listen to the marketplace music from the school. That song is so pleasant and has strong Final Fantasy vibes.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Just go to the extras menu and you can listen to 'em all!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Minus Peg Knight the genderlocked classes are so random that I wouldn't be surprisedi f they just didn't finish male/female costume/animation variants in time rather than anything to do with intentional genderlocking. Especially since Dancer not being genderlocked is in stark contrast to everything else, and there's tons of random ones like girls getting mercenary but not hero, girls getting warrior but not war master, gremory having Dark Tomefaire but Dark Mage/Dark Bishop being male only. And there are girls with brawling proficiencies that can barely use them.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 4, 2019

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

McTimmy posted:

It's a shame cause I cant even buy the soundtrack. There was a bit where I was all about it after not finding any songs that I would go legit about it.

Then after an hour of failing to find a legal way to get the soundtrack....

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Ethiser posted:

I'm not sure if your Felix maxed out on defense, but when the late game turns into rocket tag with enemies him going solo is basically suicide.

My felix has almost 40 dex and I gave him the evasion ring. Axe users have like a 0-3% chance to hit him. Everything else is usually around 30ish percent. This is all on hard difficulty as well.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

New game plus just gives you your renown? But won’t everyone have spent all of it on statues?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is it possible to double the number of white magic casts? I'm asking because I'd like more than three casts of physic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
That's a perk of the bishop and gremory class, yeah.