Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

KidDynamite posted:

also some goober responded to my exit email with don't send out spam so i trolled him for a while. ended with him threatening to report me to HR :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

how loving autistic do you have to be to yell at someone sending a farewell letter holy poo poo

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

What does he think HR are going to do on your final day? Fire you? Keep a very critical note of you on their system? Lol.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

KidDynamite posted:

Walked out at 10 after waiting around for my manager to come collect my laptop and stuff. never showed so I just left. trash company is trash. also some goober responded to my exit email with don't send out spam so i trolled him for a while. ended with him threatening to report me to HR :downs:

lmao

congratulations on your freedom :toot:

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
should have replied to "don't spam" guy by adding IT to the thread to notify them that someone had hijacked that goober's account and was sending out stupid emails.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
just respond “boy, I’m sure not gonna miss this guy.”

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

yeah that’s when you reply to his email and copy the whole company

“look at this goof”

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

qhat posted:

What does he think HR are going to do on your final day? Fire you? Keep a very critical note of you on their system? Lol.

this will be reflected on your PERMANENT RECORD

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
first interview as part of project GTFO this Wednesday. More money at a smaller and middling reputation firm (as opposed to my current very large and poor reputation firm). it's really exposed a weird kind of brain worms for me - I have a lot of ego tied up in being part of a 'global business' and the opportunities for travel, work placements overseas etc. i guess the rationale is even though we are kind of poo poo in Australia there are opportunities to work in other bits of the business that might be less poo poo? hard to unpick. waiting to hear on the FAANG thing, good reputation + large in thet case but a more junior role so less cash most likely.

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

first interview as part of project GTFO this Wednesday. More money at a smaller and middling reputation firm (as opposed to my current very large and poor reputation firm). it's really exposed a weird kind of brain worms for me - I have a lot of ego tied up in being part of a 'global business' and the opportunities for travel, work placements overseas etc. i guess the rationale is even though we are kind of poo poo in Australia there are opportunities to work in other bits of the business that might be less poo poo? hard to unpick. waiting to hear on the FAANG thing, good reputation + large in thet case but a more junior role so less cash most likely.

Have you thought about jumping ship and moving or transferring overseas? Asking as a fellow Australian.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Rude Mechanical posted:

Have you thought about jumping ship and moving or transferring overseas? Asking as a fellow Australian.

yep thats the main appeal of my current gig, using it to get on a plane at some point in the next 12 months and not come back for a few years. thats the brain worms part though, is it worth staying in a poo poo situation because of the *expat dream* or should i just go get a job that pays more at the local co. I've asked about global stuff but everything moves glacially slowly.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

yep thats the main appeal of my current gig, using it to get on a plane at some point in the next 12 months and not come back for a few years. thats the brain worms part though, is it worth staying in a poo poo situation because of the *expat dream* or should i just go get a job that pays more at the local co. I've asked about global stuff but everything moves glacially slowly.

Not a chance. A company that's terrible to work with and in will make terrible decisions. If you really wanna go apply out and go. Isn't getting a job in the commonwealth pretty ok?

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

We have a special category of US work visa (E3) that runs parallel to H1B, so in theory it should be pretty ok getting a job in the States, if they want to chase the money.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I don’t have a degree so for me it’s an intercompany transfer if I want to go to anywhere except the UK.

anyway interview this week at smallco, FAANG screen next week. the FAANG role looks pretty amazing but the selection criteria is maybe 60% aligned with what I do. will see.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

company has me interviewing two potential consultant-managers out here so i guess i’ll post my trip report for the other side of the equation. first guy had technical chops out to wazoo but had almost zero customer-facing experience or any consulting experience to speak of. he’s probably gonna be rejected which sucks because he was real bright but seriously why the gently caress did this recruiter submit him for this position? dude was clearly out of his element.

:/

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

alright candidate #2 was so strong i’ll be surprised if he doesn’t get the job. i now understand what people mean when they say they know if the candidate is cut for the job within the first five minutes of the interview

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Rex-Goliath posted:

company has me interviewing two potential consultant-managers out here so i guess i’ll post my trip report for the other side of the equation. first guy had technical chops out to wazoo but had almost zero customer-facing experience or any consulting experience to speak of. he’s probably gonna be rejected which sucks because he was real bright but seriously why the gently caress did this recruiter submit him for this position? dude was clearly out of his element.

:/

I've been that dude a couple times - recruiters straight up lie to you about what the job is because they hope by some miracle that it'll work out I think?

I'm like "yeah i'm a frontend expert and my mid-level backend experience is nodejs or python" and I get to the interview where they say "Okay so it says here you're proficient in Java are you on Java 7 or 8 right now"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Rex-Goliath posted:

alright candidate #2 was so strong i’ll be surprised if he doesn’t get the job. i now understand what people mean when they say they know if the candidate is cut for the job within the first five minutes of the interview

Yeah pretty much. I can count on one hand the number of times when a candidate has started out very strong and gradually deteriorated to a No Hire over the course of the interview. And yeah it's not because we make it easier because we like them, it's because we make it harder and they still keep answering the questions adequately.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Just make your hiring process 3x as long, and give every interviewer veto power. Works like a charm to reject strong candidates.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

TimWinter posted:

Just make your hiring process 3x as long, and give every interviewer veto power. Works like a charm to reject strong candidates.

this sounds like a recipe for corporate joy

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

Not a chance. A company that's terrible to work with and in will make terrible decisions. If you really wanna go apply out and go. Isn't getting a job in the commonwealth pretty ok?

With a couple of small exceptions, there are no breaks when it comes to immigration between Commonwealth countries. The Empire is no longer a thing.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

feedmegin posted:

With a couple of small exceptions, there are no breaks when it comes to immigration between Commonwealth countries. The Empire is no longer a thing.

you used to qualify for uk citizenship or something but then non-white people started exercising their rights and you'll never guess what happened next

e: the follow up 1968 bill was somehow even more racist https://www.newstatesman.com/when-labour-played-racist-card

distortion park fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 5, 2019

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

feedmegin posted:

welp

If I were to chose I'd go to Germany. Mild weather, mild people, v. few nazis.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
If you're willing to do remote you can just work for a US company as a contractor. You will be able to afford an accountant who can set you up an ABN and help you avoid the double taxation situation.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pathetic little tramp posted:

I've been that dude a couple times - recruiters straight up lie to you about what the job is because they hope by some miracle that it'll work out I think?

I'm like "yeah i'm a frontend expert and my mid-level backend experience is nodejs or python" and I get to the interview where they say "Okay so it says here you're proficient in Java are you on Java 7 or 8 right now"

companies don't know what they're hiring for half the time either so they're probably just firing blindly. ie "well if they actually wanted a senior dev and not a manager then this guy will work, otherwise we have an actual manager to send as well"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qhat posted:

Yeah pretty much. I can count on one hand the number of times when a candidate has started out very strong and gradually deteriorated to a No Hire over the course of the interview. And yeah it's not because we make it easier because we like them, it's because we make it harder and they still keep answering the questions adequately.

interviews mostly go very well or very poorly, with little in-between. you can usually tell in the first five minutes which one it will be.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

the first interview was actually going really well until i started shifting gears to talk about his experience dealing with customers / consulting experience instead of his tech background. that’s when it started going downhill fast and i had to turn it back to some softball tech questions just to fill out the rest of the time we set aside.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

the first interview was actually going really well until i started shifting gears to talk about his experience dealing with customers / consulting experience instead of his tech background. that’s when it started going downhill fast and i had to turn it back to some softball tech questions just to fill out the rest of the time we set aside.

its kind of astounding how bad many engineers are around customers

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

its kind of astounding how bad many engineers are around customers

I don't know what's astounding about it, speaking as a walking stereotype of a severely socially anxious software dev :v:

(though i appreciate how difficult accurate requirements-gathering is, so i guess i'm a step up there)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

hobbesmaster posted:

its kind of astounding how bad are customers

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
when I was a young engineer and I was a snide rear end in a top hat / socially awkward idiot, I would have been totally incapable of dealing with customers and luckily was nowhere near them.

now that I’m older I’ve learned how to smile and pretend I’m interested in people and generally get along even with dumb annoying people. so I can do customer interaction but I still hate it.

signed,
snide rear end in a top hat socially awkward idiot

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

many engineers never grow out of the snide rear end in a top hat / socially awkward idiot phase

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

at least the socially awkward idiots can maybe be made less awkward by taking away the anxiety part; i'm much more willingly outgoing/conversant when i can type instead of talk, to take an example

sucks for interviews though

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

had a phone screen last week, turns out that when they say 'remote' they mean 'remote, but not for seniors'

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

fritz posted:

had a phone screen last week, turns out that when they say 'remote' they mean 'remote, but not for seniors'

sounds like a recipe for success lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ciaphas posted:

at least the socially awkward idiots can maybe be made less awkward by taking away the anxiety part; i'm much more willingly outgoing/conversant when i can type instead of talk, to take an example

sucks for interviews though

irc interview

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

fritz posted:

wtf, usually i hear the opposite about remote. i see job postings stating remote available "for the right candidate" which ive heard generally means people at the senior level

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I just put in for a Dynamics admin role (note: I know gently caress-all about Dynamics) and this will probably be the end of the job search for the summer (I'm trying to avoid looking during my school year).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Boiled Water posted:

this sounds like a recipe for corporate joy

To my knowledge and from my own experience that's exactly the Amazon interview process