Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Calibanibal posted:

Old white man supports old white man, more news at 11

that's definitely a good faith interpretation of "guy who is still hands-on involved with charity likes Sanders"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I'm just gonna bow down to calibanibal, the man's a pro

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Doctor Jeep posted:

I'm just gonna bow down to calibanibal, the man's a pro

He just keeps churning out the hits, like the Lady Gaga of posting.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

goddammit bernie.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1157815349120765954

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Lightning Knight posted:

The fact that Klobuchar and Gabbard are qualifying or close to qualifying is evidence that the requirements are too low. Same with Beto and Castro, arguably Booker too. These people are barely polling at 2%, gtfo lol.

I'd be totally fine with Gabbard being in the next one so she can Chris Christie Harris again or even Biden for Bernard/Warren

Klochubar can definitely gtfo though

Gresh fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 4, 2019

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Gresh posted:

I'd be totally fine with Gabbard being in the next one so she can Chris Christie Harris again or even Biden for Bernard/Warren

Also keep Delaney in because all he is doing is helping show how good progressive policies are.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mayor pete polls like poo poo for having raised the second most money.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I mean, he's not amazing on gun issues, but that link was clickbait because the point he ends with in that speech is common sense gun control, not mental health support.

https://twitter.com/ryanobles/status/1157784620362022917

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
On some distant day y'all will realize that twitter headlines from the Hill are worse than not reading anything at all.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it still wasn't a good line.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mind_Taker posted:

Also keep Delaney in because all he is doing is helping show how good progressive policies are.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yes it was, you're just sad that you got caught out blindly mashing the repost button without even watching a short video

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 16 minutes!

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

She would have won if Bernie Sanders hadn't ratfucked her in the primary.

Bernie is at it again

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yes it is

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Watch the media hilariously insist Beto is some sort of anecdote to white supremacy after the El Paso shooting solely for being a white Democrat in Texas.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Did Bernie specifically call out white supremacy after El Paso? In person and not on his Twitter which is obviously handled by a staffer.

Castro did, to his credit.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Democratic Presidential Primay: Anecdotes of white supremacy

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yes it was, you're just sad that you got caught out blindly mashing the repost button without even watching a short video

i watched the video. i'm a monthly donor to bernie lmao.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 4, 2019

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

I mean, he's not amazing on gun issues, but that link was clickbait because the point he ends with in that speech is common sense gun control, not mental health support.

https://twitter.com/ryanobles/status/1157784620362022917
Regardless of using mental health as a fig leaf to cover for not supporting gun control, there is the broader issue of this being a case of domestic terrorism. Calling out mental health relieves all the other White Supremacists who are culpable in these murders--including the President--while undermining mentally ill people in America who would have enough empathy to not hurt people and enough common sense to understand that all people are born equal.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

Regardless of using mental health as a fig leaf to cover for not supporting gun control, there is the broader issue of this being a case of domestic terrorism. Calling out mental health relieves all the other White Supremacists who are culpable in these murders--including the President--while undermining mentally ill people in America who would have enough empathy to not hurt people and enough common sense to understand that all people are born equal.

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1157832983975534592

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

That video was from a statement made during AFSCME forum on public service, which wrapped at around 5 pm yesterday. At that point there was virtually nothing confirmed about the shooter. By the way, there were 18 candidates participating in the same event. I am sure we're going to have the same standard there, right?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

LinYutang posted:

Did Bernie specifically call out white supremacy after El Paso? In person and not on his Twitter which is obviously handled by a staffer.

I'm curious about this as well.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ah well, nevertheless

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/bipartisanism/status/1158029194208501760?s=21

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

joepinetree posted:

That video was from a statement made during AFSCME forum on public service, which wrapped at around 5 pm yesterday. At that point there was virtually nothing confirmed about the shooter. By the way, there were 18 candidates participating in the same event. I am sure we're going to have the same standard there, right?
Yes, but the shooting is happening in the broader culture of mass shootings and Bernie is accurately speaking to this shooting as a trend. But many of the mass shootings that have occurred before this one have been rooted in white supremacy and other bigoted ideologies. Even without the context of knowing that this specific shooter was a white supremacist and a terrorist, I find it bothersome to talk about our culture of mass shootings and go to mental health. 1) Because it ignores the issue of the ideologies driving a big chunk of these shootings and 2) Because I do find it to be offensive to mentally ill people in general as well speaking a bit too broadly about the actual state of mental healthcare in America which is a bit more complex. From an education perspective, I'll tell you that the US is pretty ahead of most European nations in terms of initiatives for mental health support in schools with restorative justice programs gaining a lot of steam, especially in more urban areas. But that hasn't stopped the mass shootings. This isn't to say that our mental health support in American is perfect or even great--it's not--but I don't think broad statements like the one Bernie made are particularly useful or insightful.

I'm glad that Bernie gave a better (really good) statement later and I know he is against white supremacy. Thank you for the additional context, but I still found the initial statement bothersome.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Bernie called out the new fascist movement in his earlier speech a month ago but like why isn't he linking these attacks to that movement now?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yes, but the shooting is happening in the broader culture of mass shootings and Bernie is accurately speaking to this shooting as a trend. But many of the mass shootings that have occurred before this one have been rooted in white supremacy and other bigoted ideologies. Even without the context of knowing that this specific shooter was a white supremacist and a terrorist, I find it bothersome to talk about our culture of mass shootings and go to mental health. 1) Because it ignores the issue of the ideologies driving a big chunk of these shootings and 2) Because I do find it to be offensive to mentally ill people in general as well speaking a bit too broadly about the actual state of mental healthcare in America which is a bit more complex. From an education perspective, I'll tell you that the US is pretty ahead of most European nations in terms of initiatives for mental health support in schools with restorative justice programs gaining a lot of steam, especially in more urban areas. But that hasn't stopped the mass shootings. This isn't to say that our mental health support in American is perfect or even great--it's not--but I don't think broad statements like the one Bernie made are particularly useful or insightful.

I'm glad that Bernie gave a better (really good) statement later and I know he is against white supremacy. Thank you for the additional context, but I still found the initial statement bothersome.

What do you feel about the statements by the other candidates at that forum?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

What do you feel about the statements by the other candidates at that forum?
I think you're trying to get at me targetting Bernie. I'm not. I just found the comments bothersome.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

First, the mental health thing is not true. Compared to Germany, or Norway, or many other countries the US mental health system is a joke. Second, Bernie has called out the fascist rise in the US more than pretty much any other candidate, so the fact that he didn't jump on white supremacy even as there was no official confirmation of anything is ridiculous. Third, funny how your objection changed once the context was provided.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think you're trying to get at me targetting Bernie. I'm not. I just found the comments bothersome.

Could it be because you started out by saying that it was "using mental health as a fig leaf to cover for not supporting gun control," which makes use of a false narrative regarding Bernie (that he doesn't support gun control), continued on to say that "Calling out mental health relieves all the other White Supremacists" and then, when it became clear that Bernie couldn't have known at that moment that it was a white supremacist shooting and later issue perhaps the strongest statement on white supremacy, found yet a third way to find the comments bothersome? While saying exactly nothing about the other 18 candidates at the same forum who didn't immediately condemn white supremacy before the identity of the shooter was known?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Sanders live on CNN interview now.

I can't watch this Sanders interview in full, it's in the other room, but from what I've caught, it sounds like he isn't doing well; I think his gun support is getting him in trouble.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 4, 2019

B B
Dec 1, 2005

LinYutang posted:

He just called Trump a white nationalist on CNN.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm a monthly donor to bernie lmao.

How is this a response to anything

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

B B posted:

He just called Trump a white nationalist on CNN.

People will dig for any reason to pretend Berno is a gun nut.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Quick question: who has explicitly endorsed getting rid of the legislative filibuster in the Senate? Not sure who has/has not.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If Bernie is really calling out white nationalism, then why do I keep insisting that he isn't.

Checkmate, Bros

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 16 minutes!

VitalSigns posted:

If Bernie is really calling out white nationalism, then why do I keep insisting that he isn't.

Checkmate, Bros

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Roluth posted:

Quick question: who has explicitly endorsed getting rid of the legislative filibuster in the Senate? Not sure who has/has not.

Warren, Butt, Inslee all openly for getting rid of it.

Sanders, Harris, Biden, most everyone else is a no (idk about people like de blasio but also they don't matter)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The idea that the Jewish guy who literally had family members murdered in the Holocaust is secretly cool with Nazis shooting people is some severe galaxy brain poo poo, but I guess that Sanders Deragement Syndrome is just too powerful to resist.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Could you imagine if Sanders immediately linked a shooting to white supremacy without waiting for information, and then turned out to be wrong. The same people would be castigating him for playing right into Trump's hands, and the pearl-clutching over how Sanders is the left-wing version of Trump's ignorance and arrogance would never end.

There's no way for Sanders to win with the kind of people who slam him for making sure he's factually accurate before he makes a public statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B B
Dec 1, 2005

I'd never vote for Beto in the primary, but good on him for this:

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1158005298445062144