Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Holy cow, apparently my car has different "Modes"?

I'd been driving in "Efficiency" mode like a absolute chump. I just tried out Sport driving/Sport steering and it feels like a completely different car

What's the point in having a reduced power mode and more importantly, making it the default?!

The gift that keeps on giving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'd been driving in "Efficiency" mode like a absolute chump. I just tried out Sport driving/Sport steering and it feels like a completely different car

What's the point in having a reduced power mode and more importantly, making it the default?!

This absolutely cannot be a real loving post by someone who has lived in the 21st century for 20 goddamn years ahahahaaaa

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
My 32 year old BMW with a loving 4HP22 in it has a sport mode for christsakes

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My mom's Honda with a 1.5 L has a mode button. It's an econ mode making it slower, but it's a mode!

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Was at a brewery tonight with the m2, and was standing in front of my car, only to have another m2 pull into the parking spot next to me. Start talking to him, only to have a brand new m2 comp package pull in... Oh yeah, this was a brewery out in the middle of hickville. WTF.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

hitze posted:

The gift that keeps on giving

Literally what I was going to post. If this is trolling, it's an art form.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fyallm posted:

Was at a brewery tonight with the m2, and was standing in front of my car, only to have another m2 pull into the parking spot next to me. Start talking to him, only to have a brand new m2 comp package pull in... Oh yeah, this was a brewery out in the middle of hickville. WTF.

Sounds like it was quite the orgy

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My god damned lawnmower has a sport mode

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Jealous Cow posted:

My god damned lawnmower has a sport mode

lol

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I just did a burnout in 'comfort' mode with MDM off for maximum softness and the car in "D" shift level 1.

hold MY gloves

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Whoa, did you guys know there is a pedal that makes the car go faster? I've just been going the default speed this whole time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My old computer had a sport mode

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm guessing that like 75% of the people in cars with different modes never actually touch that button, let alone have one that makes any kind of actual difference. I can't remember if yours is a Competition, but if it is, play around with different settings and then get your favorites on the M buttons. Most people seem to have something with MDM on one and then sport plus on everything with DSC off on the other. I'm a sport plus person on the engine, so I'm pretty much always running that but it's probably too aggressive for most people. I don't know what to tell you on transmission modes since I don't have a DCT.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The transmission may be dead, but Manuals come as standard with these cars.

They even come in a slick leather booklet embossed with the "M" badge so
a) You're more prone to read it and
b) You can leave it laying around your house and casually talk about MY M3 with random visitors or passers-by if you're unlucky enough not to have "It's in the shop because it got binned again but let me show you the downforce calculations on this splitter" conversation starter that some of our friends here have

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
You know what sucks about drive modes? It remaps the goddamn throttle. And with a stick shift, it's extra lovely. If I forget to put it in at least sport, I look like a moron and his first manual.

Also the integrated cdv means slow shifts can be finicky, but if works fairly normally if you drive the piss out of it. I think the actual M cars got to skip the cdv though.

I still like it. :)

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Data Graham posted:

My old computer had a sport mode

Hell yea. Imagine if that said 666 as well :captainpop:

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I know I overthought the garage 'issue' too much but I'm actually quite stupid and bad at following instructions. Last week I put 32,000 SF of liquid soil aerator on my 2,000 SF lawn :downs:

EDIT: my other two cars have been a 2003 Volvo S40 and a 2016 Subaru Outback, and neither of them had modes.

To clarify for non-ags

He just said he sprayed too much turbo-soap on his dirt.

He did this instead of perforating it with speed holes by hand.

I assume he wore gloves.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Alarbus posted:

You know what sucks about drive modes? It remaps the goddamn throttle. And with a stick shift, it's extra lovely. If I forget to put it in at least sport, I look like a moron and his first manual.

Also the integrated cdv means slow shifts can be finicky, but if works fairly normally if you drive the piss out of it. I think the actual M cars got to skip the cdv though.

I still like it. :)

The best part is BMWs with the ZF8 also have a separate sport mode for the gearbox in addition to the normal driving modes. Which is handy if you’re happy with Comfort’s throttle response but want to hold onto the gears a bit more; I mostly use it to engine brake down hills.

I think I leave mine in Comfort 95% of the time, Sport is a bit twitchy for day to day traffic.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ether Frenzy posted:

The transmission may be dead, but Manuals come as standard with these cars.

I'm not sure if mine has one. I haven't found it anyway. You can access the manual through the infotainment though so it isn't a huge issue. I'll still order one at some point just to have it.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Just so you know: I took the time and made the effort to explain The Gloves to my wife a few weeks ago, and she was speechless.

As penance for your sins I order you to do 10 Hail Bangles and an exculpatory burnout.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Where’s the burnout button on the M2C?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tremek posted:

Just so you know: I took the time and made the effort to explain The Gloves to my wife a few weeks ago, and she was speechless.

Same. Used it as an example of long-running, true humor that shows up on this site with some frequency.

beanieson posted:

Under your right foot.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
<insert video of Clarkson complaining about the E92 M3 having a button that makes it drive worse>

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

beanieson posted:

There's a button at the end of the accelerator's travel.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So wait, you put your lawn into sport mode but not your M2C?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

I hope the car can still clear that driveway angle in sport mode

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I’m imagining M2C guy trading in for a C8 corvette and being utterly confused by that row of buttons

dk2m
May 6, 2009
if i see a button, i press the poo poo out of it. i wonder what it’s like to not have that urge

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My front camera apparently isn't a fan of sitting out in the pounding sun. Got some errors leaving work today that turned off a bunch of the safety stuff but once everything cooled off it all worked fine again. Fun!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

hitze posted:

I hope the car can still clear that driveway angle in sport mode

No joke, if I have passengers I can't make it into the driveway without a mighty scrape to the underside. It's a tight fit!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Lmao

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Are 128's generally reliable, have any issues? Found a 2013 128i, one owner MT with good miles at a good price.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Pretty much. I never had issues with engine or transmission, I sold my last N52 car due to the ac, I liked the linear power band quite a bit.

A number of people see the 128 as the last pure BMW, two doors and a normally aspirated inline six.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

fknlo posted:

My front camera apparently isn't a fan of sitting out in the pounding sun. Got some errors leaving work today that turned off a bunch of the safety stuff but once everything cooled off it all worked fine again. Fun!

jesus christ BMW

no cooled seats in anything less than a x5 and don't test against global-warming temperatures. Seriously european attitude

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 4, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Alarbus posted:

Pretty much. I never had issues with engine or transmission, I sold my last N52 car due to the ac, I liked the linear power band quite a bit.

A number of people see the 128 as the last pure BMW, two doors and a normally aspirated inline six.

Yeah that's what I like about it. This one is original owner too which is pretty rare, and a clean title which is getting harder to find too, so many rebuilt title out there it's ridiculous.

What was up with the ac on yours? Is it a common problem?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Alarbus posted:

Can we make a list of all the different BMWs that are the "last pure BMW"?

Z4MC at the top, plz.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Are 128's generally reliable, have any issues? Found a 2013 128i, one owner MT with good miles at a good price.
Extremely good cars IMO. I test drove a couple when I was having foolish thoughts of getting a newer daily.

I'm broken so I really wish we got a diesel version in the US. The electric version was pretty cool as well for city driving.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Wasn't the electric version only for testing and all of them had to be returned and destroyed?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Cojawfee posted:

Wasn't the electric version only for testing and all of them had to be returned and destroyed?

Possibly. They were all over Europe as cars you could rent to get around major cities five or so years ago. I rented one a few times just for the novelty and liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah that's what I like about it. This one is original owner too which is pretty rare, and a clean title which is getting harder to find too, so many rebuilt title out there it's ridiculous.

What was up with the ac on yours? Is it a common problem?

The heat exchanger buried in the dash failed. No idea if that's common or not, to be honest. It also happened during the hottest week of that year, and we were doing a long road trip the following month, so it turned into a good reason to car shop. I don't recall seeing that on the E90 forums, and my prior one was fine, so who knows.

And sure the Z4MC is better, but it's also a lot more rare, and expensive. The 128 is a pretty "normal" car, and is just solidly good. And was produced in greater numbers. :)