Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
I don’t know who needs to hear this but in DQB2 there’s an option to change the way the A button works, i.e. disable the tool switch hot key. You can change it so A only registers for talking and then you need to hold it to swap tools.

edit swap A on Switch for whatever relevant button that is on other platforms etc

I hope this may improve your time with this game as it has improved mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I started DQIII last night. Decided on the SNES version because I haven't played much of it before. It's been forever since I played III, and I've decided to do it "Blind in the sense that I can't remember poo poo about it", and old school keeping notes of anything that seems vital to know. Basically how I beat the first two back in the days of no internet. Haven't even gotten to the second town, and already have several lines jotted down.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

TERMINAL SONICITUS posted:

Yeah I'm playing through V right now and I can see how this would've been a tough act to follow.

IMO it's less that and more that the overarching story doesn't feel very Dragon Quest-ish and also doesn't really flow very well. Lots of wondering what you're supposed to be doing, too.

Despite that, I enjoyed it.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I started DQIII last night. Decided on the SNES version because I haven't played much of it before. It's been forever since I played III, and I've decided to do it "Blind in the sense that I can't remember poo poo about it", and old school keeping notes of anything that seems vital to know. Basically how I beat the first two back in the days of no internet. Haven't even gotten to the second town, and already have several lines jotted down.

Exciting! The SNES version is wonderful; you’re in for a treat.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Nickoten posted:

Exciting! The SNES version is wonderful; you’re in for a treat.

I'm enjoying it so far. Just cleared the Najimi Tower, and taking care of a few things I noted, before following up on other leads in my notes. DQIII is one of the ones I've played the least, so pretty much everything after this will be new to me. I'm enjoying the visuals of this version, compared to the NES and GBC ones, especially.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I didn’t like the personality system. Just felt unnecessary.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Where are the eyes on the last explorer shores island?

Edit: got it. Rare biome, orbs of blood over more blood.

Edit 2: now that I’ve finished the story, I really don’t have any interest in continuing to build. Oh well.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 2, 2019

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
You know, looking at this, I realize that the island 3 castle in DQB2 is supposed to look exactly like this. With the placement of the garden, the storage room with the prison gates, and the surrounding walls.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I think my favorite "heh" thing from DQ is Balzack. I can't see it without mentally giggling every time, because I am eternally a twelve year old boy when it comes to humor.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The Dragon Quest V movie is out in Japan and my friend's going to see it tomorrow. I'll report back if people are interested.

TERMINAL SONICITUS posted:

While were talking about about remakes. Should I play the ds version of IV or the mobile port? I ask because apparently the ds remake doesn't have party chat and I freakin' love party chat in these games.
one million times the mobile version. 4 was my first Dragon Quest and I totally hated it for how much my party members felt like complete nobodies. For a game that's all about these characters coming together, I didn't care about them at all, and kinda dropped Dragon Quest all together for a while.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm honestly surprised that some enterprising romhacker hasn't translated the party chat for DQ4 DS, or at least dumped the script from the mobile version into the DS version.

Like I guess the DQ romhackers are all really into the Monsters spinoffs or something.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Last time I checked we don't have a Rocket Slime 3 translation so that should be first.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Expect My Mom posted:

one million times the mobile version. 4 was my first Dragon Quest and I totally hated it for how much my party members felt like complete nobodies. For a game that's all about these characters coming together, I didn't care about them at all, and kinda dropped Dragon Quest all together for a while.

I've never been so bewildered by an opinion before. Did we play the same game? DQ4 was amazing for its characterization of a whole set of protagonists that are mute when you control them. You know in Chapter 2 that you're controlling a force of nature when the royal maid asks you to please not kick down your bedroom wall again.

dishwasherlove posted:

Last time I checked we don't have a Rocket Slime 3 translation so that should be first.

Funny you should mention that...

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Pollyanna posted:

Edit 2: now that I’ve finished the story, I really don’t have any interest in continuing to build. Oh well.

It's sad that the only post-game content they can think of is an island where you grind for the rest of your builder's tools and free resources. Did none of them have any imagination what they could do with a bunch of npcs who need to find a settlement and strike the earth feel the excitement of building?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I'm liking DQB2 a lot, except for the tons of frame drops and land slowly updating sometimes. Is this a Switch only problem?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Dizz posted:

I'm liking DQB2 a lot, except for the tons of frame drops and land slowly updating sometimes. Is this a Switch only problem?

From what I've gathered, it isn't optimized at all for the Switch. The Switch is underpowered compared to the PS4, so this ends up being a problem for many games on that or the Xbox One, that are also on Switch.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It can chug pretty hard on PS4 also. Story mode stuff isn't too bad but the more complex user-lands are an experience.

Most of the time the Switch version runs and looks pretty well, considering the amount of AI agents and stuff it has to keep track of. They probably should have capped it at 30fps though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's sad that the only post-game content they can think of is an island where you grind for the rest of your builder's tools and free resources. Did none of them have any imagination what they could do with a bunch of npcs who need to find a settlement and strike the earth feel the excitement of building?

Everything aside from the main storyline is a really unfulfilling grind, IME. I thought I’d feel more accomplished doing the tablet targets, but I don’t.

I’m still mad about the castle. I’m also mad that getting a gold golem is a huge grind.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I hope with the series doing well that somewhat soonish we'll get a remake of IX. I didn't play it much, and it had some baffling design decisions in parts, but I'd like to give it a fair shake again. But with all the DLC stuff unavailable barring cheating or finding someone with it (and lol to that, where I live), enh. Either something worked out with Nintendo, or just make a Switch exclusive remake, and have all the DLC included from the word go.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:)

Not gonna lie, I kinda want to do this to the whole island.

Also, I don’t really understand what Buildertopia is for. Is it just a persistent Explorer’s Shore island with a size option? Or does it come with anything extra?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I hope with the series doing well that somewhat soonish we'll get a remake of IX. I didn't play it much, and it had some baffling design decisions in parts, but I'd like to give it a fair shake again. But with all the DLC stuff unavailable barring cheating or finding someone with it (and lol to that, where I live), enh. Either something worked out with Nintendo, or just make a Switch exclusive remake, and have all the DLC included from the word go.

I would be on board for this. There is a code that works under emulation that unlocks all/some of the DLC, but it was still an appallingly dumb design decision made even worse by the fact that the content is on the physical cartridge. I believe that it was in this thread that someone posted a link for a way to unlock the DLC, but it was so technically fiddly that I just gave up.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

AngryRobotsInc posted:

it's not gonna be soon but one of the series producers mentioned in a live stream that he wants to do it, and specifically do it in a way where you could enjoy the game without the online stuff.

I hope they do that as a test run of what I really want, which is a remake of dragon quest X that comes out in the west and the online is just a bonus

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

I would be on board for this. There is a code that works under emulation that unlocks all/some of the DLC, but it was still an appallingly dumb design decision made even worse by the fact that the content is on the physical cartridge. I believe that it was in this thread that someone posted a link for a way to unlock the DLC, but it was so technically fiddly that I just gave up.

Yeah. I did some save file editing shenanigans when I played, to get all the guests in the Inn and it took foreeeever, and was just entirely too much work.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

IX is the only one I haven't really played so yeah I'm hoping also. I did load it up in a different build of desmume that has some extra options for increasing the resolution and it's incredible how much better it looks. I'd probably play it that way if I'm craving DQ.

Actually I read somewhere that there was an emulator that was going to have a way to play local wifi games over the internet. That would be cool for IX.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I replayed or played for the first time every DQ game but 10 within the last couple years, and 9 was the only one that made me go "I am a grown rear end man and this game is not for me."

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The other problem with DQIX is that all of your party members are hired extras with no personality and there's no Party Chat, so NPCs have to carry the character development.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

YggiDee posted:

The other problem with DQIX is that all of your party members are hired extras with no personality and there's no Party Chat, so NPCs have to carry the character development.

You're flappin' right they do.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I wonder if DQXI S sells well enough, would they port over most/all the DS games onto E-Shop?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

YggiDee posted:

Yeah but the character models show all equipment, a first in the series. This is a very cool thing and it took too long, IMO. I assume X is the same way because MMO.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twinfinite.net/2019/08/dragon-quest-xi-s-summer-festival/

Speaking of DQXIS.

Square-Enix did a live stream yesterday and during it announced there'll be a demo for DQXIS on the eShop.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Here's a very long stream showing off a DQ virtual card game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzdoo4_XfjA=

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

And that's DQIII down.

It's been a while since I played it, but it's still overall one of my favorites. I think this was where the series really found its footing. The customization available for your party is nice, though having set characters later on does allow for them to carry more of the story, instead of the NPCs.

I hadn't played this SNES version before, and it was nice. Translation patch broke in a few places, and there were some text errors, but overall complete and playable. The graphics are good for what they are, and the animation in battles is a nice touch.

The rest of today is dedicated to things like "making banana bread", so I'll be moving on to IV (another of my favorites) tomorrow after I get the kid off to school.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Just beat DQ8 on 3ds, moving on to 4 for DS. Any especially noteworthy tips for 4 that I should keep in mind?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

-Fish- posted:

Just beat DQ8 on 3ds, moving on to 4 for DS. Any especially noteworthy tips for 4 that I should keep in mind?

Explore the well in Ragnar's chapter. There's a useful temporary party member in there.

In Torneko's, if someone sells the Cautery Blade to the shop, it's the best weapon he can equip that chapter. If you can keep it in the shop, that chapter has increased chest drops, which you can sell the items to buy it, so you can faff off from working the shop once it's in the inventory there.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I read some pretty negative reactions to the movie, and the big plot twist in it and yikes. At least it's good looking.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

well post em

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

yeah, please post a link. I don't care about movie spoilers and my google searches aren't getting me much info about the film

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Explore the well in Ragnar's chapter. There's a useful temporary party member in there.

In Torneko's, if someone sells the Cautery Blade to the shop, it's the best weapon he can equip that chapter. If you can keep it in the shop, that chapter has increased chest drops, which you can sell the items to buy it, so you can faff off from working the shop once it's in the inventory there.

To clarify this further:

Run the shop in chapter 3 until that sword shows up, then go do the chapter's quest because you can come back later when you have your own shop and buy as many of these as you want, fill your Bag with them, and never worry about money in chapter 5. You could fill the bag with some other items too and just outright buy the coins for a king metal shield (or 2) in ch5 as well since it'd be faster than gambling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I read some pretty negative reactions to the movie, and the big plot twist in it and yikes. At least it's good looking.
My friend saw the movie, loved it and also told me spoilers

So Here We Go Dragon Quest: Your Story Giant Spoilers. The Twist Is Weird And Cool And This Might Ruin It For You

The film is called Your Story because it's revealed in the final act that the scenes we see of Dragon Quest V are a full body VR experience which allow you to experience Dragon Quest in first person as if you were there. The hero's name isn't Five, or Madason, or Abel or any other canon name given, but Ryuka, because Ryuka is the name of the person playing this experience of Dragon Quest, and he's always used his own name for Dragon Quest protagonists. A lot of the childhood portions like ghost hunting or fairy world are abridged because Ryuka chose to skip those at the start and get into the meat of the story. Apparently he tries to use some knowledge of having played Dragon Quest 5 before to stop Nimzo from appearing, but some virus gets into the program and makes that impossible so the final battle gets a little weird or different than what we know

Basically, they turned from what could have been just an adaptation of Dragon Quest 5 into a story about all our memories of playing Dragon Quest, a movie about Dragon Quest fans in a way, and I think that rules, I sincerely love this take. My friend says that it's still a charming, cool movie, but really made for people who know Dragon Quest 5, because it does not do much to explain or flesh out things. Which makes sense because everyone in Japanese theaters knows how Dragon Quest 5 goes

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 4, 2019