Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

teagone posted:

I enjoyed the Elder scene because it veers the worldbuilding into "videogame" style lore and plays it serious. I love it. It's totally absurd that the one guy above the High Table is just out there in the middle of the desert, and then when we meet him, he goes on a small exposition dump detailing the Persian/Syrian origin of assassins lol. It owns.

I liked that too, plus... it was just nice to catch your breath and chill for a bit. I liked JW3 a lot but occasionally I started to get a little fight fatigue, so the quiet moments were nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Bust Rodd posted:

I haven’t seen a single kind word said about the scenes in the desert, pretty commonly viewed as a mole on an otherwise perfect buttcheek

I like that part. The part that I didn't really much care for was dealing with the armored up Table goon squad. Other than the pretty good joke of having to go back to get shotguns, it felt much more tedious and generally pointless and belief stretching than anything else. By that point in the movie I was kinda genuinely over watching john wick turn someone upside down and shoot them in the head/neck.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Failboattootoot posted:

I like that part. The part that I didn't really much care for was dealing with the armored up Table goon squad. Other than the pretty good joke of having to go back to get shotguns, it felt much more tedious and generally pointless and belief stretching than anything else. By that point in the movie I was kinda genuinely over watching john wick turn someone upside down and shoot them in the head/neck.

The way I think about it is that if you give John Wick a gun, you know he's gonna kill everyone in the room in 2 seconds. So they gave him opponents that he could shoot endlessly until he can get close enough to exploit a weak point.

Edit: Why does it seem like John Wick's aim goes to poo poo when he's trying to shoot someone through glass?

poonchasta fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 16, 2019

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

poonchasta posted:

Edit: Why does it seem like John Wick's aim goes to poo poo when he's trying to shoot someone through glass?

IRL, a bullet hitting an obstacle will cause it to tumble in flight, even glass or drywall. It’s not usually a laser beam like in video games.

In the John Wick universe, the glass is usually there for cinematography reasons.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I’m honestly baffled at how they shot the mirror scenes in 2 and the glass room scenes in 3.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hope in chapter 4 John and Winston walk into a glass room/room with a lot of glass accessories and just go "Well, this is going to get shattered before the day is out" "Yup. Shame." And then it somehow survives the whole movie intact.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Pussy Quipped posted:

I’m honestly baffled at how they shot the mirror scenes in 2 and the glass room scenes in 3.

CG to remove the film crews, check this poo poo out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1loWHOfKKI

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That is the craziest poo poo in the world!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

plester1 posted:

:aaaaa:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Now that's how you use CG, drat.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
You don't use CG to add stuff, you use it to distil a scene down into its purest essence. Its keanu, if you will. :allears:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Failboattootoot posted:

Other than the pretty good joke of having to go back to get shotguns, it felt much more tedious and generally pointless and belief stretching than anything else.

...this is the bit in a John Wick movie that you felt stretched your belief? :lol:

plester1 posted:

I distinctly remember being sat in the cinema watching this with a massive grin on my face like "HOLY gently caress THIS IS SO IMPRESSIVE!" to the point where I don't feel anything in the 3rd movie held a candle to it.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I'm usually pretty good at identifying really cool implementions of CG, but I have a blindspot for mirrors. Like my initial thought was "That didn't seem so hard. You film it once with the actors and cameras and everything, then film it again without the actors and cameras and composite the two shots." I'm not a smart man.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

If I had been the CG guy responsible for tracking which reflection should show up in which mirror at which angle, I'd probably have suffered a nervous breakdown like three minutes in. Just goddamn. :psyduck:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
With everything going on I definitely didn't notice how complex the mirrors setup was in the theater, but yea I remember when I finally got my hands on the blu ray and I sat down to watch it for the first time, the implications of that scene and how crazy it must've been to film clicked and I was like "yea.....I'm gonna be watching this movie an obscene number of times".

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There was a story that, long before they started shooting, the cinematographer mocked up the hall of mirrors in a warehouse or something, and just played around, working out what could be done and what couldn't. He was involved from very early on.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Perestroika posted:

If I had been the CG guy responsible for tracking which reflection should show up in which mirror at which angle, I'd probably have suffered a nervous breakdown like three minutes in. Just goddamn. :psyduck:

Thankfully they have computers for that too! If you watch closely in that CG video, some of the scenes show the computer model wireframes for the mirrors, as well as the other scenery bits and the actors themselves. It’s detailed to the point where they modeled the impact flex of the mirror when Ruby Rose gets tossed into the elevator wall.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

plester1 posted:

At first I was disappointed. I was so sure it was some sort of amazing camera trick.

But the more I actually dig into it.... fuuuuuuuuuuuck thats just pure mind boggling the level of detail and planning they did to place the cameras exactly where they had to be to be and then the actual CGI just perfectly seamless and flawless with even mirrors that reflect on more mirrors that are already distorted so they get even more distorted with even more reflections and scuff marks too and just OWWW my loving head this is even MORE impressive

Basebf555 posted:

With everything going on I definitely didn't notice how complex the mirrors setup was in the theater, but yea I remember when I finally got my hands on the blu ray and I sat down to watch it for the first time, the implications of that scene and how crazy it must've been to film clicked and I was like "yea.....I'm gonna be watching this movie an obscene number of times".

This is what makes John Wick movies so drat rewatchable. First pass view is great but then you look closely and the absolute level of detail and even symbolism they keep throwing into the back ground to freezeframe and explore. Even things like the one handed press check in JW2 - looks like a stupid showoff move but nope turns out its actually real and of course someone like Wick would know about it and know exactly when to use it.

Cant wait f or the Blu-ray JW3 and just oogle it again

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
My only two complaints about this movie were that he didn't use a karambit (karambits are dope) and, with all the glass getting thrown around, no one ever used it as a weapon.

Iko Uwais and Tak Sakaguchi need to be in the next one.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

This movie made me watch 47 Ronin cause I needed some more Keanu swordplay and that was also the only major movie of his on Netflix right now. It really shows what he's like in the hands of a capable director, I hope Chad Stahleski gets so much credit for this because seeing both relatively close together really does highlight how much better Keanu is when you know how to really film a fight scene. He kinda does the quiet stoic badass thing in both but they're worlds apart.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
You should watch Man of Tai Chi if you haven’t already, it’s on Netflix. Keanu directs and plays the main antagonist, and while it’s not the best action movie, it’s really good for a directorial debut. He pulls off some genuinely clever stuff with blocking, though nothing quite as bonkers as Stahelski did with the ninja guys assaulting the Bowery in JW3.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

You should watch Man of Tai Chi if you haven’t already, it’s on Netflix. Keanu directs and plays the main antagonist, and while it’s not the best action movie, it’s really good for a directorial debut. He pulls off some genuinely clever stuff with blocking, though nothing quite as bonkers as Stahelski did with the ninja guys assaulting the Bowery in JW3.

I love that sequence, and the one where they attacked the ballet school, which legit turned into a musical number for a moment, complete with very stagey lightning effects.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I love Man of Tai Chi. Keanu gives a wild performance as the villain, which I feel like he doesn’t get to do too often.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowman_McK posted:

I love that sequence, and the one where they attacked the ballet school, which legit turned into a musical number for a moment, complete with very stagey lightning effects.

When the Ninjas walked on stage I expected the dancers either to fight and be slaughtered or just be slaughtered. I'm glad that didn't happen, that moment had much more impact the way it played out.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

I really wanted to but sadly it's not on UK Netflix. I will track it down.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Blast Fantasto posted:

I love Man of Tai Chi. Keanu gives a wild performance as the villain, which I feel like he doesn’t get to do too often.

His bad guy sneer is Grade AAA

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Is there a good write-up of the art symbolism, especially in JW2?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Is there a good write-up of the art symbolism, especially in JW2?

yeah, in this thread, somewhere.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Snowman_McK posted:

yeah, in this thread, somewhere.

lol yeah, just go back a few pages. Also! Priscilla Page, aka BBW_BFF on twitter, has identified virtually all of the art in the JW films. She's an action fangirl who has an art history degree. Highly recommended follow.

...unfortunately I can't find the tweet in question at the moment.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Speaking of Priscilla Page, she posted this really good writeup about the trilogy the other day.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/HannaFlint/status/1157062307899465729

keanu rules

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just wanted to say that many locations or setpieces in John Wick would make amazing Lego sets.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BioEnchanted posted:

Just wanted to say that many locations or setpieces in John Wick would make amazing Lego sets.

Are there better glass pieces in Lego these days? I just remember those thick blue pieces that were for windshields and cockpits.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I still love they transplanted the Montreal arts centre into New York.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I enjoyed JW3, and will probably watch as many of these as they make. Dacascos was amazing.

2 and even moreso 3 still suffer from the weird movie logic where bad guys don't exist until they enter the frame. I feel like JW1 did this better. This time it's people popping in or around a corner and then running at John as fast as possible instead of maybe backing up and shooting. Yeah, yeah, dumb poo poo and the movie's full of it, but this one always bugs me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hero fighting multiple enemies in a movie is most of the time going to have some method of giving the hero time to deal with only one or two at a time. Obviously the trick is how best to hide it or provide misdirection because it's an illusion to actually survive being ganged up on especially when guns are involved. JW3 didn't do it as well overall but I think the Morocco(?) scene with Berry and the dogs did a fantastic job, and not just because it kept the layout and positioning of everybody pretty clear.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 4, 2019

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I get it, I used to laugh a bit at Bruce Lee movies as a kid. More that JW1 did this pretty well, JW2 and 3 do not, especially in comparison.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
3rd person shooters are guilty of the same thing. Even with all the design advantages you can throw the player like bullet time and copious cover... once you get past a sheer number of enemies survival just becomes luck and not really tactical at all. To bring it full circle, kinda looking forward to the xcom style john wick game coming out soon.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

AlternateAccount posted:

I enjoyed JW3, and will probably watch as many of these as they make. Dacascos was amazing.

2 and even moreso 3 still suffer from the weird movie logic where bad guys don't exist until they enter the frame. I feel like JW1 did this better. This time it's people popping in or around a corner and then running at John as fast as possible instead of maybe backing up and shooting. Yeah, yeah, dumb poo poo and the movie's full of it, but this one always bugs me.
I think the first movie is actually the worst in terms of people literally running at John instead of backing up, or even just staying still and using their gun. The sequence in the club has a lot of parts where people who have guns decide to run up to John so that he can do some fancy move on them and then shoot them. Why are they running up to him? Why not shoot him? Because it's cooler if they run up to him. If you keep your eyes open for it, I think you'll notice it much more in JW1 than 2 or 3. That at least was the impression I got when I rewatched 1 and 2 before 3. I haven't rewatched 3 but my recollection is that it has much less "people with guns decide they need to be close enough to lick the Wick rather than just shooting at him."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I always took that to mean “no one can win a shoot out with John because he never misses, the only way to level the playing field is to get close to him.”