Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
X-posting a big lizard:

R0ckfish posted:

So this guy finished drying, so have a troglodon I finished today:

It was mostly painted at the same time as the oldblood, but had a few more steps on the base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Hihohe posted:

So basically

fixed it

The nose corks :swoon:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
They just LC2B'ed like every Empire HQ unit.

:yikes:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
drat, really? with the Cities of Sigmar book coming out?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

A lot of it seems to be older resin stuff but there are some plastic kits there too (Empire General and Archers, Dorf Cannon).

:shrug:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Im banking on a free guild general resculpt coming out with the book.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

They said they’d be doing this when they announced the Cities book. Just cleaning out a bunch of stuff that’s not going to have rules.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
well, it'd be great if they use this opportunity to replace some old Empire models with ones less explicitly tied to the Old World

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

there should be official models for undead deck droppers

😮
What is this from?

well, it'd be great if they use this opportunity to replace some old Empire models with ones less explicitly tied to the Old World
Except the old Empire is loving awesome.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 5, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
One of the models going away is the Witch Hunter, which is super iconic. I imagine a new one will come.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

berzerkmonkey posted:

😮
What is this from?

I believe it's the Deck Dropper unit card from Total Warhammer 2.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Anno posted:

I believe it's the Deck Dropper unit card from Total Warhammer 2.

Yep. They were from the old white dwarf vampire pirate list but you can't loving tell me that deck droppers wouldn't be a sweet AoS kit (or that vampire piratesSoulblight Plunderbound wouldn't be a good AoS faction!)

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm really happy with how this came out, this is about 6 hours of work. Contrast paints continue to feel like a cheat code for painting. I picked up the model at about 4 PM yesterday, and was done by 2 AM. Most of that time wasn't spent on assembling / painting yesterday, either.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Ain't no cheating. Work smarter, not harder.

Looks good. Is the armor black Templar?

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

KF is just a designer brand for breastplates and shields in AoS.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

berzerkmonkey posted:

Expect the old Empire is loving awesome.

It was, but it's dead. It's jarring and a little sad to have the only option for playing regular dudes with spears and guns still wearing the KARL FRANZ inscriptions of an extinct civilization from a previous reality

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It was, but it's dead.

It still gets way more play in my area than AoS.

I'm irritated that almost everything on last chance had sold out before I got the email.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I knew the archers were done when they were the only infantry kit not hit by the price increase.

moths posted:

It still gets way more play in my area than AoS.

I'm irritated that almost everything on last chance had sold out before I got the email.

It's a sure bet these days to buy anything OOP and sit on it a few years, then ebay it for a 400% markup. Go look how much TK stuff goes for.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hi, I got the Warcry starter, and it's super neat and I hope to play it a fair amount. I know right now it's all CHAOS CHAOS CHAOS already but the second I see rules for Skaven (or those sick dino/lizard things people keep posting - seraphon?) I am grabbing more and possibly actually starting an AoS army.

I used to play 40K like a decade ago and fell out of the hobby, started playing Kill Team in January and now I have tons of GW plastic again and play several games a week and it's great. I honestly never had much of an interest in Fantasy and AoS seemed to trip right out of the gate but looking at it now there's a hell of a lot of cool models and actual rules and such.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

food court bailiff posted:

Hi, I got the Warcry starter, and it's super neat and I hope to play it a fair amount. I know right now it's all CHAOS CHAOS CHAOS already but the second I see rules for Skaven (or those sick dino/lizard things people keep posting - seraphon?) I am grabbing more and possibly actually starting an AoS army.

I used to play 40K like a decade ago and fell out of the hobby, started playing Kill Team in January and now I have tons of GW plastic again and play several games a week and it's great. I honestly never had much of an interest in Fantasy and AoS seemed to trip right out of the gate but looking at it now there's a hell of a lot of cool models and actual rules and such.

AoS had a poo poo start with a badly planned release, 0 points and pissed of a lot of nerds because the Old World got blown up and got replaced with round bases. In the years since it's addressed all those problems (besides round bases) and is a really thematic universe with some great models, lots old and lots new.

In terms of the game system, it had a much needed simplification, a keyword and unit card/warscroll system that were both adopted by the latest release of 40k and seems to scale well from skirmish up to large scale. Adding the warscrolls for each unit to the the webstore page for that model also means if you just want to play a quick game you don't need anything other than the free rules and those scrolls, where as if you want the points, faction rules etc.. you can choose to buy in to that army via its battletome (faction detail, points for faction) and/or the Generals Handbook (points for all faction, less detail).

Also adding warscrolls for the Warcry units, and the Underworlds warbands means there's many entry points too.

Fake Edit: Can I have my monies now GW?? tia

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It is interesting to see how far AoS has come. Nobody seemed to care when it first dropped, and now if folks play both AoS and 40K around here (and many do) they'll play 40K if that's all there's a game for but they're excited for and set up games to play AoS. Even the folks who've wandered off to that Warhammer-a-like whose name I forget have started to come back.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Dawgstar posted:

It is interesting to see how far AoS has come. Nobody seemed to care when it first dropped, and now if folks play both AoS and 40K around here (and many do) they'll play 40K if that's all there's a game for but they're excited for and set up games to play AoS. Even the folks who've wandered off to that Warhammer-a-like whose name I forget have started to come back.

Free warscrolls (so you can look up stuff before making a purchase or general theorycrafting whilst on the commute), an official app with points for 99p a month (might be more for new subscribers), a rules writing team that actually give armies flavourful rules that match the fluff (until GSC, 40K rules writers were playing it fairly safe), brand new armies that haven’t been seen before with great sculpts, willing to try new things with Malign Sorcery, new Battletomes coming up with multiple builds per army (again this isn’t as well supported in the 40K codexes), decent effort expended on the Battletome fluff (the 40K codexes are a lot of copy paste from 7th Ed with the fluff), there is a lot to like about AoS.

I just wish my gaming group played it more. But we are in the middle of a multi year 40K campaign and people are growing their AoS armies and also playing saga and Shadespire, so lots of competition for precious hobby time!

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

So after much reading and browsing online for armies that I would be interested in, I’ve ended up with the start of a Fyreslayers army. I know they aren’t the best designed models, but something about the short dudes in loincloths riding giant lava lizards really spoke to me. So I bought an eBay army (shoutout to the dude I bought them from who individually wrapped each model in two layers of bubble wrap, making this my first ever warhams eBay purchase where everything is intact), a couple of boxes of hearthguard, and the hilarious terrain piece. Does anyone know how good the fyreslayer flesh contrast paint looks on models?

Excited to get my naked dudes tabletop ready.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Fyreslayer contrast is great, and is probably the best contrast flesh color available.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

berzerkmonkey posted:

Fyreslayer contrast is great, and is probably the best contrast flesh color available.

If by best you mean worst, sure. I got some for my fyreslayers, and while it is perfectly acceptable for them I don't think I will be doing much else with it.

Fyreslayerz are really cool army, but you might as well get used to building the same kit over and over again. On the bright side you might as well buy the start collecting box two or three times because the Magmadroth is such a cool model. Main thing that convinced me to do the army.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lord_Hambrose posted:

If by best you mean worst, sure. I got some for my fyreslayers, and while it is perfectly acceptable for them I don't think I will be doing much else with it.
I meant best. Fyreslayer, then Darkoath, then Gulliman are the order I prefer.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
x-posting

richyp posted:

So we've decided to not do Skirmish but to bump up our game of Age of Sigmar to the Path of Glory mode (full sized units with new ones added after each game etc..)

That meant padding out my Sisters of the Watch and Shadow Warriors to 10 (5 of each), legally they're supposed to be in units of 10 for 160pts but I'm allowed to split them in to their two different choices for 80pts a pop.

At some point i'll grab another box of them and make 5 each again so in full fat Sigmar they can be fielded as legal units.

Just need to add 5 more Dryads to the gang, then this lot will be complete for their first match

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I think I’m actually going to try some Warcry tonight, any rules to really watch out for - particularly coming from KT?

When does the Corvid Cabal come out? I need psycho bird dudes.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

When does the Corvid Cabal come out? I need psycho bird dudes.
Saturday.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Today's madness

richyp posted:

Painted up 5 more Dryads today making the unit 10 strong and legal for their game.

Alongside them I did some reinforcements along with them too

The gang is now ready:

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

I think I’m actually going to try some Warcry tonight, any rules to really watch out for - particularly coming from KT?

The rule book is pretty straightforward, the biggest issues I've seen are people assuming because something works a certain way in the skirmish game they have played means that it should work similarly in Warcry but chances are it's actually as simple as it seems.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Something is coming up for dwarves? A bunch of the older WHFB kits are “no longer available” on the website.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Something is coming up for dwarves? A bunch of the older WHFB kits are “no longer available” on the website.

They poo poo canned a lot of stuff for the upcoming Cities of Sigmar stuff I think. Glade Guard, and most of the Wanderers characters went the way of Tomb Kings too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It's for the upcoming Cities of Sigmar book. Which is going to combine a bunch of older armies.

I hope we get some new models. Particularly a new Witch Hunter as they are way way too iconic to boot.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Nighthaunts look cool as hell, I might grab some of those and try to get a warband at some point.

Are any of the new factions playable in AoS proper? I know (or at least I'm pretty sure) stuff like the Iron Golems and Corvid Cabal are entirely new, right?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
They're chaos/slaves to darkness.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

richyp posted:

Today's madness

I don't know if anyone's been saying anything, but these are rad as gently caress. I've got a guy at games club starting Sylvaneth and I might show him these as possible inspiration!

Also, I got ahold of the Deepkin cards and am gonna try Warcry at Warhammer World on Sunday. There's a new warband builder on the community website, so I'll track stuff that way, and I got the rulebook digitally (£5 cheaper, ho!). I'll report back on how it goes!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

richyp posted:

Today's madness

Cool beans. They seem to be for an actual army, what kinda list? Sylvaneth with Wanderer allies?

D... did the new tome just give Sylvaneth the Wood Elves?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

richyp posted:

Today's madness

This is a beautiful collection man, well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

The Deleter posted:

I don't know if anyone's been saying anything, but these are rad as gently caress. I've got a guy at games club starting Sylvaneth and I might show him these as possible inspiration!

JBP posted:

This is a beautiful collection man, well done.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Cool beans. They seem to be for an actual army, what kinda list? Sylvaneth with Wanderer allies?
Thanks guys, I've to an article about them going up Sunday afternoon on Goonhammer. It's got the custom Path to Glory sheet that I made and a step by step on the quick colour scheme for the Aelves and their glowing bows.

quote:

D... did the new tome just give Sylvaneth the Wood Elves?

No sadly, they're still different factions, the original plan was for them to be a Skirmish war band which is basically a Grand Alliance free for all so I themed them around a kind of woodland defence force.

At the moment those guys are technically 3 different factions:

Dryads and Kurnoth Hunters: Sylvaneth
Spellweaver and Sisters of the Watch: Wanderers
Shadow Warriors: Swifthawk Agents

The Sisters and Warriors will just become a 10 strong unit of Sisters of the Watch unit once we turn into full fat Sigmar game, until then I'm running these as Wanderers with Slyvaneth Allies, and conveniently ignoring that the Swifthawk Agents are a thing.

There are rules in the older Firestorm book a "Living City" list which lets you take Slyvaneth, Wanderers, Dispossessed and Stormcast and gives you an allegiance rule too. The upcoming Cities of Sigmar book mentions the Living City and with the recent reorganisation and culling of a lot of the order units (I have bad timing :rip: Glade Guard) I'm hoping it'll flesh out the concept more and give me more toys to paint.