Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

For those that use Random Acts of Mario, what could make rating the level's difficulty easier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

It was a pretty tough Blitz theme in my opinion, to be fair.

Indeed... I had to play around with the various power ups to find two uses for them in mine and I still felt like I was cheating a bit because the ultimate end of the level and it’s name involved the last bit that didn’t involve the blocks.

I still liked alf’s level. They put in some effort despite the restraints and felt it didn’t take away from the spirit of the challenge.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

lunar detritus posted:

For those that use Random Acts of Mario, what could make rating the level's difficulty easier?

Honestly I think its fine right now. Level difficulty is always gonna be really subjective though, and its gonna be especially hard to get accurate results with a relatively small sample size.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 4, 2019

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

The Lobster posted:

Title: Quiz: Spot the Difference
Code: 700-9Y7-HHF
Description: One of these things is not like the other!
Difficulty: Easy
Style/Theme: SMB3; Gimmick

This was a fun gimmick, although it could have done with a checkpoint. You might want to set the chompers slightly higher in the last quiz; it's really hard to tell the Buzzy shell apart from the live Buzzies, especially when the chompers are also black-and-tan in the split second before the chompers fall.

quote:

Title: Splatterglup Swamp
Code: 3XH-Y12-61G
Description: This poisoned bog is full of baddies! Can you make it to the end?
Difficulty: Normal
Style/Theme: NSMBU; Traditional

This is a fun standard level; I'm not sure how the underwater section with the burners fits in with the poisoned lake theme, but it's a nice diversion.

Random Stranger posted:

The Question Authority
Besesoth
By: HB3-W4X-3WG

The night airship theme with bombs made getting through the brick wall oddly tricky.

Thank you for playing! There's a "cheat" if you're willing to backtrack a little; you can easily get a Yoshi, and the airship theme hides that the bricks don't go all the way up.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
If you feel like bouncing on top of some angry centipedes, journey down to Wiggler Willows: FPP-WWD-90H

(I just really like making these bog-standard vanilla Mario levels v:shobon:v)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Okay, I have a multiplayer clear condition logic question. My level is going to have 75 coins in the main area, 3 subareas with a 50-coin each. The level is mostly nonlinear, would it be better to set the clear condition to 100 coins, or to 150?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Forktoss posted:

If you feel like bouncing on top of some angry centipedes, journey down to Wiggler Willows: FPP-WWD-90H

It’s nice.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Forktoss posted:

Had fun he first time as a standard level and then blazing through it the second time. Fun as both a regular and speedrun level! Great work!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Salastine - Mysterious Mushrooms
First off, I love that you also do the "green mushroom platform to indicate a 1-Up" thing, and when you did it a second time in the night section, I almost fell for it. The note block section was extremely hectic but I persevered. A delightfully evil level.

OMT - Molehill Mania
Very pleasant traditional level that really has an early-mid game Mario 3 feel. I liked how you mixed things up as the level progressed, I enjoyed how you designed your bonus room and how you hid it, I liked that you had a coin cache and a shortcut as a reward for keeping the leaf. Just generally a nice level. You can cheese quite a bit of it by flying, but that's no different from a lot of Mario 3, I guess.

TehLobster - Splatterglup Swamp
The above ground parts were fine, but I thought the middle really dragged. It's a rather long section with a lot of waiting around, and no progression in challenge—just the same obstacles over and over. Also the swimming goombas can be pretty uncooperative in tight spaces—in the very lower left part, when I turned the corner, that goomba was against the top of the tunnel, where I couldn't hit him with a fireball, and he was determined to stay there. I ended up just taking a hit, and I did not keep my mushroom long after that, since there's not enough room to stomp the goombas unless you're small.

peterbilt - Fireball Hall
Honestly, you may as well not have bothered with the rising lava, since in my successful run, I never even saw it, and the level works just fine without it. It's only really a threat toward the beginning, where I don't think it works because I feel fire piranha plants aren't a fair obstacle for this situation—they're slow, and, being piranha plants, you either wait for them to emerge or run straight into them. I really liked the bob-omb section, although I saw the potential to bomb too much of the floor so that you can't jump up in one spot.

DalaranJ posted:

Okay, I have a multiplayer clear condition logic question. My level is going to have 75 coins in the main area, 3 subareas with a 50-coin each. The level is mostly nonlinear, would it be better to set the clear condition to 100 coins, or to 150?

Doesn't this just mean whoever collects the 100th/150th coin gets the clear condition, instead of the first person to get 100/150 coins?

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 4, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

Doesn't this just mean whoever collects the 100th/150th coin gets the clear condition, instead of the first person to get 100/150 coins?

That’s how it functions, yes. That’s why the subareas have one 50 coin each.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Deep in a forgotten library rests ancient Thwomp knowledge. Go, learn, and:

Contemplate the Pebble
Y3S-YBY-VKF

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
559-D10-XKF - Clapping Block Rush

I stumbled a fairly simple contraption that has been really fun to watch streamers play and figure out. Starts out with them almost thinking it's a troll thing but it's actually very fair. They're slightly mesmerizing and your normal jumping instincts can work against you. I'm tempted to remake it so that the "true ending" is actually required for a speedrun because right now it's extra risk for coins and 1ups which only matter in endless.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Suspicious Cook posted:

Contemplate the Pebble
Y3S-YBY-VKF

Very neat use of the thwomps.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Suspicious Cook posted:

Contemplate the Pebble
Y3S-YBY-VKF

Main problem with this level is if you miss the main thwomp near the end you can softlock yourself and have to die to reset. Once it’s gone it’s gone and doesn’t resplendent. Loved the design choices and it’s a great use of the enemy in general and inventive use of drag chutes!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Thanks for all the feedback on my levels guys!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

559-D10-XKF - Clapping Block Rush

I stumbled a fairly simple contraption that has been really fun to watch streamers play and figure out. Starts out with them almost thinking it's a troll thing but it's actually very fair. They're slightly mesmerizing and your normal jumping instincts can work against you. I'm tempted to remake it so that the "true ending" is actually required for a speedrun because right now it's extra risk for coins and 1ups which only matter in endless.

It’s good but drat hard. Left a comment to give you a feel of what I was experiencing

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Argue posted:

Thanks Volte! I played your boo level and it gave me an idea, so here's my latest, inspired directly by you:

I think it's my easiest level by far but hopefully it's roughly the same difficulty as an actual Mario level.

Edit: the thing I'm worried about most on this level is softlocks. Hopefully the reset door is enough to mitigate any.

This was a lot easier than the <2% clear rate would have suggested. Were it not for a few awkwardly placed chain chomps I probably would have one shot it. Nice job!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

J-Spot posted:

This was a lot easier than the <2% clear rate would have suggested. Were it not for a few awkwardly placed chain chomps I probably would have one shot it. Nice job!

The level makes you want to rush and that makes you rush into jaws of Chomps. You have plenty of time with each switch so take your time

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Something nice & friendly for endless

Spellman fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 4, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Really wish I could have the night theme without having an effect. I really want the starry background.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to be playing some expert/viewer levels and other weird things for a little bit on stream if anybody wants to add their level or just hang out: https://www.twitch.tv/Mintaka2D

I don't really have a mic so all interaction will be through text but should be a fun time?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Ghostnote
1WR 1PP YDG
By: alf_pogs

Was this supposed to be a Blitz 5 level? Because it uses several things that aren't allowed and didn't emphasize question blocks.

But it's a fine, short boo stage. That's the ghost, not the level rating.

i definitely fell apart on emphasising question blocks, but aside from coins and 1-ups everything i used was blitz parts (i think!)

i always chuck 1-ups in, cuz these things end up in the endless hopper and it drives me insane when a level in that doesn't have any

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 4, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1158168262582112259

Or should I say Opposite Night (theme)?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Gonna be rough especially since you have to hit a flagpole to win... if only there was a way to die and win at the same time...

Gonna have to think hard about this one to come up with something truly opposite

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Spiffster posted:

Gonna be rough especially since you have to hit a flagpole to win... if only there was a way to die and win at the same time...

Gonna have to think hard about this one to come up with something truly opposite

I mean, if you use the castle theme and a well-placed spring you can!

gropemotron
Feb 20, 2011

Another dimension, new galaxy
I streamed a bunch of RAoM levels today again with some of the discord goons, at https://www.twitch.tv/gropemotron. I forgot to post that BEFORE I started streaming, but next time I will.

Some of the levels I played and really liked:

UFO? That's Mario! - I've played a lot of the side scroller gradius levels but the controls when you're in the dry bones shell at night was really fun and was an interesting twist. I really enjoyed this!

Water Filtration Plant Pretty easy, but man that was some cool level design and attention to detail to make it look like a filtration plant

Soggy Doggies I don't know how, but you took all the things I would normally hate a level for, autoscrolling, underwater level with tons of chain chomps and it was actually well built and fun. It was challenging but fair.

Bowser's B-Team Armada This was a tough level from the start but fun. I really didn't like the boss battle and was very glad there was an easier way to beat him than throwing bombs at him. The checkpoint before the boss was nice at very least

Seesaw Skies This was a really nice platforming level, felt like something you could see in a regular mario game

Another Day on the Job I wasn't paying attention to the level name enough and didn't realize it was a theme level, then all the treadmills made sense

Happy Hauntings Oh man I liked this level, dodging the boos on the vine was very fun and reminded me of Frogger. The last section was a bit of enemy spam but otherwise very cool

Thwomp Bust I ended up cheesing the second half of this level by falling through it once I figured out where the exit pipe was. Which is good because that section was super hard for me

Star Sprint I got trolled by the blocks that blocked off the star area on my first play through, but otherwise that was pretty fun

1-1 but Mario Needs to Poop If I'm gonna play a 1-1 remake level, I'll take the one with potty humor. Thanks, that was great.

gropemotron fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 5, 2019

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

Pried myself away from Builders 2 long enough to make another level and rate a few more from RAoM:

My course:
Gold Rush
KP2-6K4-DWF
60 second clock, vertical platformer, with a minimum of 300 coins needed to clear.
I tried to make a challenging but fun level with multiple paths, depending on how confident and fast you're feeling. I did a few no-run-button tests to see how tight the limit was, but external feedback is always appreciated.

Reviews:
November Marsh
3XD-BQ1-J0G
The first half was good, slightly challenging without anything egregious, outside of that drat invisible block before the trio of spikes. I didn't feel like the second half meshed with the first aesthetically, and the skewers, fire, and cannons only showing up for the one section made them feel out of place. I'd have appreciated an additional mushroom or two during the back half as well, but I'm also not very good at Mario, so take that with a grain of salt. Outside of that, I thought it was a fine, decently challenging course.

3D World Spelunking
F3M-1D8-JSF
The biggest problem I had was with the goombas at the beginning. Trying to run and jump off of them sends you straight into the invisible blocks and back down into the path of the enemies. I'd move them a little farther away from the action where they don't get in the way of maneuvering. I also think the drop onto the parakoopa needed a coin trail or something else to lead the player to the right; I dropped straight down onto it and didn't have enough time to correct course before I died. Not too bad, otherwise.

Piranha Pipe Pier
K0P-W41-MVG
drat fine job! It looks phenomenal, and it plays great. The course flowed well, and the popping in and out of ships helped keep it interesting. Nice one!

Papa's Flying Koopa's (MM1)
SXF-5NV-42H
Good God, I'm not nearly good to be able to judge the difficulty on this one. I will say that I'd appreciate some coin lines or something to guide players, because I got lost in the sea of enemies and couldn't figure out which path you wanted me take. I'd also recommend cutting out non-essential enemies to really emphasize the proper route and to make the presentation a little nicer.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Do I dare make an autoscroller that is entirely upside down??

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Macaluso posted:

Do I dare make an autoscroller that is entirely upside down??

Make a series of autoscroller rooms that scroll away from the exit door.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I hate to just dump a level after only playing a few from the spreadsheet at the start of the weekend, but I spent a ton of it working on this level, which has been worked on as a skeleton since some time last week. A large portion of today was done working on a boss fight that was completely and wholly scrapped.

https://twitter.com/aquamarinephant/status/1158243144590229504

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Spiffster posted:

It’s good but drat hard. Left a comment to give you a feel of what I was experiencing

That drawing is amazing, thank you. It's also hilarious seeing it on streams, it's perfect!

You can see part of it in this clip, I didn't realize this was a feature until now so I didn't capture their whole winning attempt. Warning: loud person playing.
https://clips.twitch.tv/FurtiveGeniusPangolinNinjaGrumpy

What's been interesting is how some people overcome it really quickly and others think it's a kaizo or troll level. However, waiting in line to showcase my levels, you see this absurd kaizo nightmares that take an hour+ of attempts so I think Clapping Block Rush is pretty fair. I think a full length vertical one would be the real nightmare version, instead of minimalistic as it is now.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
It seems that Mario has committed some Random Acts again

Ghost House Escape
I'm a total Mario square in that I've never really liked ghost houses, not even in World (probably because I'm an idiot and can't figure them out - I got stumped by the section after the checkpoint in this one, too). Not really for me, sorry!

Switch-Up Thwomps
I really enjoyed this, it felt like it went through all the different permutations of what you could do with Thwomps and on/off switches in a nice, logical order. The part where you had to jump over Thwomps on on/off platforms (I just might steal that idea, actually) and the big Thwomp chase at the end were especially cool.

Trials & Incantations Redux!
All four sections were pretty good, although the ones through the pipes felt a bit more fully realised (though they probably could have done without the big Magikoopas at the end, I think it would have been nice to have a little moment of victory after completing a challenge rather than getting ambushed). The one with the sawblades and the P-switch was my favourite, the timing in that was really well done.

Four Bottles in the Desert
Fun theme! The challenges were maybe a bit on the easy side, but that's alright since you have to do all four in a row anyway.

The Vault
Some of the Thwomp placements over the moving platforms felt kind of unfair, I found myself just running through them and eating the hits since that seemed the most reliable way of getting past them. Breaking into a big coin vault is a great idea for a stage though, and I think the theme could have been developed even further.

Moon Bugs!
I'm a note block hater almost as much as I'm a ghost house contrarian, so I can't say I enjoyed actually playing this one, but using note blocks to simulate low gravity did make me laugh so I can't dislike it either!

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but this is by far the most creative level I've ever seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jSrUh1FDxg

Like, holy poo poo.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lets Pickle posted:

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but this is by far the most creative level I've ever seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jSrUh1FDxg

Like, holy poo poo.

holy hell

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Lets Pickle posted:

Like, holy poo poo.

Yeah, I played that stage a couple of nights ago and was blown away. It's amazing how slopes can be used to make something like that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lets Pickle posted:

Like, holy poo poo.

I will never be this creative.

I also found one that used corks called Beneath the Poison Swamp and I wanted to post it for the thread, but I can't find the level code anymore :smith: It was seriously amazing

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Hey everyone, I will be streaming tonight with the most recent goon levels posted to the thread with some Random Acts of Mario thrown in for good measure. The plan is to stream at 7 PM PDT/10 PM EDT so come on down and join us!

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

Levels to be played:

1. Into Mount Molehill
By: Sea Lily 11X-J4Y-C0G

2. Build-it-Yourself Bowser Bridges
By: Macaluso TPQ-WQX-0NG

3. Boos Cruise
By: Gnome Enthusiast LDK-D9B-YLF

4. Vogon Constructor Fleet
By: Straight White Shark CX5-9RH-HQF

5. Fearsome Flight
By: Random Stranger 9H9-NGS-RXF

6. The Flying Dutchman
By: yrmr NY9-XY3-W6G

7. Snowpiercer
By: Khanstant 7LK-HSQ-TKF

8. Ghostnote
By: Alf_pogs 1WR-1PP-YDG

9. Ghoststompers!
By: Spiffster 5W0-4N1-PXG

10. The Question Authority
By: Besesoth HB3-W4X-3WG

11. Splatterglup Swamp
By: The Lobster 3XH-Y12-61G

12. Wiggler Willows
By: Forktoss FPP-WWD-90H

13. Contemplate the Pebble
By: Suspicious Cook Y3S-YBY-VKF

14. Clapping Block Rush
By: Khanstant 559-D10-XKF

15. Kong'88
By: Spellman R88-WDM-1XG

16. Mechanized Forest Fort
By: Phantasium PMB-C5B-9RG

=Random Acts of Mario=

#1085 Cheep Cheep Channel
By: Everslain ST4-HCY-YVF

#253 Dr. Drybones Platforming Palace
By: pray for my aunt HSH-8H3-VLG

#56 Abyssal Adventure
By: Random Stranger 9HJ-VK3-41G

#306 Quicker Than The Sand
By: Haschel Cedricson T30-M52-QWF

#561 Making it Rain...bow
By: Girl Drink Drunk 864-BCD-9HG

#705 Super Mario Land
By: Spikey 2WJ-QR2-JWG

#302 No Laws, White Claws!
By: GigaPeon FR9-708-PCG

#1030 In Too Deep
By: Rollersnake NP5-4T3-WKG

#1036 Mario is a Millennial
By: Suspicious Cook GJ2-9B5-9XF

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Lets Pickle posted:

Like, holy poo poo.

What the gently caress

edit: The part where the Wiggler goes from the background to the foreground :psyduck:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 5, 2019

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
Some RAoM reviews...

---

Weird 1-1 by absolutely anything
Pointless 1-1 reimagining.

1-1 Eskalias Airship Escape by Dapper Duck
Far too busy visually and aurally. Also none of the platforming was fun. My advice would be to concentrate more on platforming and less on how much stuff you can cram into a level.

Icicle Islands by Argona
Nice platforming challenge. Maybe I would have preferred it to be less cramped in a couple of areas re: koopas and icicles. I think icicle areas that are cramped only work well if Mario has a lot of momentum.

Date Night by dizzywhip.
Much like the 11 people who played this before me, I don't know how to get by that spike gap with the shoe.

my baby loves it!!! by Fawf
Kids jam level. I'm not a kid so this level that plays itself is stupid and looks bad, and I don't think it should be in the spreadsheet.

Snoopy (1984)(Radarsoft) by absolutely anything
I haven't played the game referenced. For me this course had a few nice parts but it was way too slow. I died a couple times due to carelessness and it was an absolute chore to go through the level again w/o a checkpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Dangerous Minority posted:

My course:
Gold Rush
KP2-6K4-DWF
60 second clock, vertical platformer, with a minimum of 300 coins needed to clear.
I tried to make a challenging but fun level with multiple paths, depending on how confident and fast you're feeling. I did a few no-run-button tests to see how tight the limit was, but external feedback is always appreciated.
This was fun, but I felt like the time limit was a little too tight combined with the moving platforms. It felt like if I made a wrong move and had to wait for a platform, I wouldn't be able to make it. I had a hard time getting enough coins and reach the goal fast enough. It was still fun to scramble around for coins, and I liked the multiple paths.