Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
SPG points have tripled in earning as well with the move to Marriott. Hyatt is closer to old SPG price where they range from 5k - 40k based on category with most hotels being 15k - 30k.

Hyatt points are kind of hard to get except via Chase UR transfer, but it's definitely worth transferring in a lot of cases.

asur fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

smackfu posted:

Can anyone give some more info on the “use points to stay at premium Hyatt properties?” We did something similar a few years ago using SPG points in Europe to stay at very fancy places (that my wife loved) but those redemptions have basically tripled at this point. 20k points and 60k points a night are very different.

1 SPG point became 3 Marriott points though.

e:f;b so I'll add: They bungled the merger/'Bonvoy' thing so badly that it's hard to ever recommend people stay there if they have a choice. My recommendation for Marriott is to burn any points you already have in their system and move on unless there's a specific property you have your heart set on. If you're just choosing a transfer partner for UR points, pick Hyatt if you can; it's great value.

astral fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 4, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

smackfu posted:

Can anyone give some more info on the “use points to stay at premium Hyatt properties?” We did something similar a few years ago using SPG points in Europe to stay at very fancy places (that my wife loved) but those redemptions have basically tripled at this point. 20k points and 60k points a night are very different.

Chase works out pretty well for this. Transfer points from Chase to Hyatt and stay in one of their awesome park Hyatt locations. We did Milan two years ago, and then spent a week in Paris a few months ago.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So it’s worth it to transfer to Hyatt even though you give up the 1.5x redemption bonus for CSR?

3x was a bad example for SPG / Bonvoy, I just feel like they keep moving properties into higher tiers that make it impossible to stay anywhere for more than two nights. Unless we move all our spend to the Amex Bonvoy card.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

smackfu posted:

So it’s worth it to transfer to Hyatt even though you give up the 1.5x redemption bonus for CSR?

3x was a bad example for SPG / Bonvoy, I just feel like they keep moving properties into higher tiers that make it impossible to stay anywhere for more than two nights. Unless we move all our spend to the Amex Bonvoy card.

The Hyatt points are often worth more than 1.5x if you redeem them wisely.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
It depends on what worth it means. You're likely to pay less transferring points than points on the portal for the same hotel. It's highly likely though that you can find a cheaper hotel on the portal.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don’t travel too much and almost all of my discretionary spending is bars and restaurants. Is there anything better than my current Uber Visa that does 4% cash back on those categories year round? I also have an Amazon Prime Visa so that’s 5% for all my boring household purchases.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Vantage West has a 5% Restaurants category (for $1500/quarter spend) but I've read enough horror stories about having to get them to honor the credits that I've avoided that card completely as an extra 1% isn't worth micro-managing a card.

If the restaurants you go to have gift cards available at Amazon or a grocery store then getting them with your Visa or AMEX Blue Preferred (assuming the $95 AF is worth the extra 3% vs the regular Blue Cash for you) then those may be an option for you.

Uber card is solid, though. Currently getting 5% with my Discover for the quarter, but I love the Uber card.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I think the Capital One Savor card is better when it comes to perks, but it's got an annual fee

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of the Uber card, has anyone ever actually received an invite to an "Exclusive event"?. As far as I can tell there was one in 2017 and then nothing.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Josh Lyman posted:

I don’t travel too much and almost all of my discretionary spending is bars and restaurants. Is there anything better than my current Uber Visa that does 4% cash back on those categories year round? I also have an Amazon Prime Visa so that’s 5% for all my boring household purchases.

Amex Gold at 4x points should be better depending on how you value MR points (1.25 cpp minimum cash out through Schwab), but the AF might be tough to swallow.

Cruiserweight
Nov 14, 2012

Live Mas
I'm graduating this December and I'm looking to reward myself with a trip to Japan. I currently have one credit card that has never accumulated interest, but with a relatively low credit line of $3500, so I'm looking to get a new card. I'm split between either a 0% introductory APR or travel rewards. I want to avoid paying any amount of interest as much as possible, which is why I'm considering a 0% APR card.

Are travel rewards really that beneficial if I never travel? I might travel next summer domestically but I haven't set foot in an airport in over ten years, though I feel like i might miss out on benefits by worrying so much about the possibility of interest.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Cruiserweight posted:

I'm graduating this December and I'm looking to reward myself with a trip to Japan. I currently have one credit card that has never accumulated interest, but with a relatively low credit line of $3500, so I'm looking to get a new card. I'm split between either a 0% introductory APR or travel rewards. I want to avoid paying any amount of interest as much as possible, which is why I'm considering a 0% APR card.

Are travel rewards really that beneficial if I never travel? I might travel next summer domestically but I haven't set foot in an airport in over ten years, though I feel like i might miss out on benefits by worrying so much about the possibility of interest.

Are you expecting some large purchase that you can't pay off immediately?

Pay your bill in full each month and never pay any interest. Credit card interest rates vastly outstrip any rewards.

Cruiserweight
Nov 14, 2012

Live Mas
I've never paid interest, but I wanted a new card because my only card is my daily use, has a low credit line, and a high APR which I've avoided so far, so I don't really want to put travel expenses on it. I'm not worried about being able to pay off my expenses (I have enough money saved up), but moreso life getting in the way and a big financial situation coming up and now I'm suddenly paying interest on a $2000 flight charge.

I'll probably just get a zero apr card, put the flight expenses on it, and pay it off that way.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The responsible thing is to have your emergency fund filled out before spending money on luxuries. Ie: you should be confident that you can pay off both an emergency (within reason) and your trip without having to finance it.

If you think you can swing that, then a travel card will probably be a lot more beneficial.

Otherwise if you’re still going to do it then yeah, a no APR card makes sense as long as it’s a no fee card (or the fee gives you access to perks that outweigh the cost).

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 5, 2019

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Nevermind :v:

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 5, 2019

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I was actually gonna edit it out because I think I might just be repeating some horror story I read some time ago that I can’t verify, sorry!

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

The responsible thing is to have your emergency fund filled out before spending money on luxuries. Ie: you should be confident that you can pay off both an emergency (within reason) and your trip without having to finance it.

And even in the case of some emergency, you still have a full month or more to pay off the charge before you accrue any interest at all, and even if it takes you a few months to pay it off (which I’m not advocating), it’s not like you’re paying the full interest (the APR is an annual rate), and even if you couldn’t you could still eat a small fee to do a zero apr balance transfer for a year. Needing a zero APR card as a preemptive emergency plan is pretty weird and probably means you shouldn’t be buying poo poo.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 5, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have the whatever capital one secured credit card from 5 years ago with barely $1000 credit, plus I have a grand tied up in it since it's secured

Now I have one of the fancy all metal travel cards and live in an expensive city and the $1000 limit is not really doing anything for me. I also can't raise the limit any higher because it's a secured product. I've tried.

I think I read something recently about getting a card rolled over to a different, non secured product. Is this something I can do? Without a hard credit pull? Pretty sure I would qualify for at least $5k limit which would improve my debt to credit ratio

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Call them and find out! Having it for 5 years will show that you've been a trustworthy customer. Unless you're trying to secure a mortgage who gives a gently caress about the score? Take that hard pull risk. I'm doing a refinancing on my mortgage right now and the highest credit score bracket was 740+, there's a lot of room above that.

If they say no just cancel it. Get that grand in your hand making money again.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Did they not return the deposit? They did for me like 3 years ago, about 6 months after I opened the account. Then again it was a 50 dollar deposit por 500 dollar credit.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Apple card benefits seem a little lacking, even compared to other Mastercards:

https://www.mastercard.com/apple-card-mastercard-benefits.html

At best it's a 2% (when using apple pay) cashback card with no foreign transaction fee, so it could be marginally useful when traveling to a country with modern contactless card readers.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Even on that, it's questionable. Presumably most of your spending abroad will be dining and travel, which means the Uber Card might win out.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
As far as I can tell, the only upside is it's titanium.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

As far as I can tell, the only upside is it's titanium.

I know you are being sarcastic, but I'd just like to say that any metal cards I've had seem to be more easily damaged and eventually delaminate. Yes, they make a nice thunk when you drop them on the bar if you're into that kind of thing, but otherwise they just aren't terribly durable because they plastic coat them.

You also can't just send them through your shredder when you get a new one, so I have to bring them out to the shop and actually take a pair of tin snips (or a torch if I'm feeling the need) to them.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Sure wish I was an irresponsible Canadian with a chase card about now. Best benefits I've ever seen.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Motronic posted:

I know you are being sarcastic, but I'd just like to say that any metal cards I've had seem to be more easily damaged and eventually delaminate. Yes, they make a nice thunk when you drop them on the bar if you're into that kind of thing, but otherwise they just aren't terribly durable because they plastic coat them.

You also can't just send them through your shredder when you get a new one, so I have to bring them out to the shop and actually take a pair of tin snips (or a torch if I'm feeling the need) to them.

They also trash your wallet.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Sure wish I was an irresponsible Canadian with a chase card about now. Best benefits I've ever seen.

Yeah, right? Some people made out like bandits.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

What do you do when you apply for a credit card but get a pathetically low limit? ($1000)

I asked for a credit limit increase, but if they don't approve it, I'm thinking about closing it.

Ither fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 11, 2019

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ither posted:

What do you do when you apply for a credit card but get a pathetically low limit? ($1000)

I asked for a credit limit increase, but if they don't approve it, I'm thinking about closing it.

Use it for what it was intended for? I guess the question would be why would you open it if you don't want to use it? Or did you want to make a single large purchase that is greater than that limit and hope that meets a bonus spend? They may turn you down - they'll usually give you a letter with a number to call to appeal, or maybe even call you directly. Assuming you want to make a large purchase, call them and tell them that you want to spend $X,000 and you would like to use their card to do it. They may ask for additional info, so hopefully you can produce the paperwork to show you're making what you told them you make.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Ither posted:

Don't waste the hard pull/new account. Who's it with? Do you have other cards with that bank? If not, what's your credit score/history like?

Asking for an immediate CLI isn't a bad idea; depending on the bank they may use the initial credit pull again to judge the CLI instead of doing a new hard pull. A handful are nice and do soft pull CLIs.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I wanted to use it for several large purchases since they have introductory period.

It's with Capital One, and I applied for the Savor One card.

I already have a card with them at about 10k. That's why I was I shocked when they only approved me for measly1k.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
If they’re like Chase they might shift some limit around between cards if you call

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Even if the intention is for point-earning, you're gonna pay it off every month, et cetera, I feel pretty confident in saying that if a major CC company only approves you for 1k you probably should stay away from CC for a while whatever the reason for it.

Not judging, I don't know your specific situation, but I feel like the universe is sending you a signal here.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You did catch that they already have another card with the same institution that has a 10k limit, right?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Ixian posted:

Even if the intention is for point-earning, you're gonna pay it off every month, et cetera, I feel pretty confident in saying that if a major CC company only approves you for 1k you probably should stay away from CC for a while whatever the reason for it.

Not judging, I don't know your specific situation, but I feel like the universe is sending you a signal here.

After being approved for a CSR with a 15k limit and a dozen other cards with stupid high limits, I eventually got the Discover It and they gave me an initial $1000 limit. After a few months of paying it off, I called to increase it. They did, to $1200. So, some cards are just funky that way.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

No joke, I got a credit card with my main bank (who literally have the ability to pull money from my account to cover costs) and they gave me a limit of £500.

Amex? £3k, no questions asked.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I'm a huge idiot and have $488 in American Express Reward Dollars.

What should I do with them?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Insane Totoro posted:

I'm a huge idiot and have $488 in American Express Reward Dollars.

What should I do with them?

Probably best to just get the cash out of Reward Dollars unless there's some amazing sale on gift cards that you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Yeah that was my fear too.

Oh well that's a lot of 6% grocery store cash back.

It's almost a PS5 fund I got there.