Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

It does, but I'm not sure if element boosts work with Holy Breath specifically. (Also Staves of Light don't actually boost holy if that's what you're using, you'd need to set up Elemental Power.)

E:f;b with a more definitive response and turning this into a lovely quoteless page snipe, no less

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Do I just suck now, or is Omega way more of a pain to actually get past than I remember him being? I swear I get caught by him at least twice each run through the Void now. I suppose it's possible that the Matrix version's freeform movement gave me more leeway than I'm used to.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

agradine posted:

Do I just suck now, or is Omega way more of a pain to actually get past than I remember him being? I swear I get caught by him at least twice each run through the Void now. I suppose it's possible that the Matrix version's freeform movement gave me more leeway than I'm used to.

The hitboxes for patrolling monsters are... weird. They move faster than the sprite, for sure.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Completed my first ever FJF :toot: It's certainly an enjoyable challenge! Frustrating but rewarding. As you see, I ended up rolling Theif / Summoner / White Mage / Mystic Knight. Bartz being a theif the whole game was pretty funny. I might try one of the pure chaos runs if I feel up to it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

agradine posted:

Aside from the aforementioned hitbox issue that was probably resolved, it seems like Matrix Omega moves much less erratically than in other versions.

On the downside, that means having to look at Matrix Omega.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Now I want a walking toilet.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Run #2 down.

It's parties like these that are the reason it's called Random Mode and not Hard Mode anymore. Not a single significant roadblock faced. Monk doubled as a much-harder-to-kill White Mage. Black Mage had White Magic so I had three people throwing up defensive buffs per round. White Mage had Black Magic for no adequately explored reason, post-Holy anyway. Might have been better off with HP+30% had I bothered to grind for it. Monk even provided !Focus for the Mystic Knight to wreck house Chicken style. Flare Sword and !Focus let MK hit the damage cap. Too much offensive firepower and survivability for anything to pose much of a threat. TreeDeath White Holed Lenna once, and one of the two deaths I had during NED was self-inflicted (apparently nothing cures Berserk except death).

This is also the first time I've successfully completed more than one FJF run. Each party was fun in its own way. It helped that my second team was both (a) easy and (b) very different from my first. In past years my second failed runs have almost always been near-copies of my first run party except weaker.

Also my first year donating. Thanks to all the goons who led Butes and friends on a most excellent adventure in honor of my favorite defunct LP series!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

agradine posted:

(apparently nothing cures Berserk except death).

Dispel. :eng101:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

The more you know! That certainly saves a turn over Death-Arise. Either way gotta re-apply the buffs.

Tempted to take on the bonus bosses; both are certainly doable with this party but neither sounds exactly fun.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Technically the Chemist command !Recover and the Panacea mix can remove it too, but yeah, Dispel does the same thing as dying and saves the time of Arise-ing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Man with Hat posted:

Just finished my last one. This should be all here.

Here's the victory tweet for the last one:

https://twitter.com/mickrov/status/1156869050670231553

Dunno if this Toxx is even still valid. I put up 7 bucks for fairing the worst three jobs in the game.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Which three legendaries should I grab for Ninja/Chemist/Dragoon/Geomancer?

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Assassin dagger, ninja knife, spear.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

DalaranJ posted:

Assassin Dagger, Sasuke's Blade, Holy Lance. The bell is garbage, you don't need the staff, and you can't use anything else

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

fool_of_sound posted:

The hitboxes for patrolling monsters are... weird. They move faster than the sprite, for sure.

I remember one time I was trying to avoid Mecha Heads in the Pyramid (didn't want Lenna falling too far behind the exp curve) and somehow phased right through one of them. I still have no idea how I did it.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I share your concern about Lenna, but those Mecha Heads don't actually give any exp, so feel free to grind them up for... 4 AP I think. I try to level her back up so she's close to the same level as the rest of the crew anyway.

That's pretty wild that you can randomly just pass through them though. The hit detection seems to favor encounters from 2 spaces away instead of ghosting through things.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sage Staff is great for grinding Dragon Fangs from Zombie Dragons.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Sweet. This was a good toxx. It's been fun getting everything.

And I forgot to add this which was pretty funny to me

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Mega64 posted:

Sage Staff is great for grinding Dragon Fangs from Zombie Dragons.

This is why I only ever get like 20-30 when Drakenvale first becomes available and save the 99 Farming until after the first tablet whenever I have Chemist.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Finally had time to do a FJF for once. Opted for Pure Chaos and got assigned Dragoon, Samurai, Mystic Knight and Mime. There is no problem that cannot be remedied with a Chicken Knifing Flaresword Jump Mime.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
For those of you who did a lower level Winner run, did you just fish for a Catoblepas hit on the Almagest piece? I don't have the HP to survive one, even with Mighty Guard up. I'm not sure I could race the part down before it gets one off with Blue, White, and Summoner (I think the other Winner job is Time but I'm still on my Berserker run so he just keeps whacking the Physical piece). Am I stuck with just hoping the petrify works or am I forgetting something?

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

OzFactor posted:

For those of you who did a lower level Winner run, did you just fish for a Catoblepas hit on the Almagest piece? I don't have the HP to survive one, even with Mighty Guard up. I'm not sure I could race the part down before it gets one off with Blue, White, and Summoner (I think the other Winner job is Time but I'm still on my Berserker run so he just keeps whacking the Physical piece). Am I stuck with just hoping the petrify works or am I forgetting something?

Fishing for Catoblepas is an option, or hope your Blue Mage blocks it with Aegis Shield and use Phoenix for wipe recovery.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

OzFactor posted:

I had Break Blade :shrug:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

OzFactor posted:

Yeah. It's about a 9% chance per cast, I assume you have it summon5 slotted to everyone.

Almagest and Grand Cross are the only dangers with a summoner at all though. I suppose you might want to conserve lamp odin to manage any damage imbalance from the berserker?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I always spam break if I have a source of it. Odds are good enough that it usually connects before a single almagest. I also always try to save Odin lamp to finish off the last part because it's funny cutting the end boss in half.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Can I get some tips for defeating Exdeath at the end of World 2 with Knight/RMage/Dancer/Bard. I have been grinding for awhile (currently level 37) but I can’t seem to down him before he outdamages my healing capability.

I have been 2 handing swords with the Red Mage and Knight to do about 1500 damage each. The Bard tries to keep Mighty Song up for Regen and dispels, while the dancer dances with both spamming cure 2 and Raise most of the fight. What usually happens is that someone dies to a vacuum wave near the end when Exdeath starts spamming multiple attacks, and it falls apart quickly after that.

Am I just going to have to keep grinding some more levels until my Dancer and Bard can survive a vacuum wave? I do have 2 elvin mantles equipped, and they seem to help, but eventually something gets through.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Orvin posted:

Can I get some tips for defeating Exdeath at the end of World 2 with Knight/RMage/Dancer/Bard. I have been grinding for awhile (currently level 37) but I can’t seem to down him before he outdamages my healing capability.

I have been 2 handing swords with the Red Mage and Knight to do about 1500 damage each. The Bard tries to keep Mighty Song up for Regen and dispels, while the dancer dances with both spamming cure 2 and Raise most of the fight. What usually happens is that someone dies to a vacuum wave near the end when Exdeath starts spamming multiple attacks, and it falls apart quickly after that.

Am I just going to have to keep grinding some more levels until my Dancer and Bard can survive a vacuum wave? I do have 2 elvin mantles equipped, and they seem to help, but eventually something gets through.

This won't be of any help now, but a team comp like that would have loved grinding out a full set of Reflect Rings at Barrier Tower.

Maybe try and keep the Bard singing Swift Song to give you more space to heal?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Did you get Reflect Rings in the Barrier Tower? If not, and you have a save from before it, it might be worth going back to get some. Otherwise if you kill Metamorphs in their old man form, they might drop a staff that casts Holy when you break it, and that will help.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I didn’t get any reflect rings, and don’t have a save from prior. Something to keep in mind for a future run.

I guess it’s time to grind in the underwater cave for awhile for those staves.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

You'll never damage race Exdeath with that team, so focus on survival above all. Have the Red Mage be a healer instead of a damage dealer. That way you'll also have to deal with fewer Dispels against your Protect. The Bard should sing Swift Song until your party is considerably faster than Exdeath, since his first phase is less dangerous than his second. You could also farm a Power Staff from the Black Warlocks. It casts Berserk when you attack someone with it, allowing you to boost your Knight's damage.

Also, don't be afraid of using Elixirs in this fight. They help a lot, and your team won't need them in World 3.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 4, 2019

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Run #5: Pure Chaos — Monk / Freelancer / White Mage / Dancer

Monk is really good! Early on! And then all of a sudden it's really bad! In this run it was just a high-HP bot for !White, !Dance, or !Item, but even !Dance sucked since they can't equip any Sword Dance-enhancing gear. Freelancer carried a lot of the heavy lifting, snapping rods, hitting a dragon or beast weakness, giving me two !White casters with Gold Hairpins, etc. etc. Dancer was much more fun after getting a Tiara in the Pyramid. Typical Power Staff/Blink strategy for Shinryu, waiting for Reflected Searches and spamming Chicken Knife or Trident Sword Dance for Omega, and Holy/Sword Dance rushing down the different parts of NED. All in all an easy run since Monk HP with Blink and Shell could survive almost anything, but not exactly a fun run.

20 jobs down, 5 to go! I'll probably roll the four non-Mime jobs I haven't had yet, which is Summoner / Ranger / Geomancer / Chemist. Should be quick. :getin:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

You'll never damage race Exdeath with that team, so focus on survival above all. Have the Red Mage be a healer instead of a damage dealer. That way you'll also have to deal with fewer Dispels against your Protect. The Bard should sing Swift Song until your party is considerably faster than Exdeath, since his first phase is less dangerous than his second. You could also farm a Power Staff from the Black Warlocks. It casts Berserk when you attack someone with it, allowing you to boost your Knight's damage.

Also, don't be afraid of using Elixirs in this fight. They help a lot, and your team won't need them in World 3.

Used this tip to go slow and build up speed early. Then once the -aga spells started coming out, broke three staff of light to finish Exdeath off quickly. Didn’t hurt that I had gotten to level 40 while farming.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bregor posted:

Monk is really good! Early on! And then all of a sudden it's really bad! In this run it was just a high-HP bot for !White, !Dance, or !Item, but even !Dance sucked since they can't equip any Sword Dance-enhancing gear.

For added hilarity, you could give your Monk Equip Ribbons, which lets them use the Man-Eater dagger. :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Asimov posted:

I share your concern about Lenna, but those Mecha Heads don't actually give any exp, so feel free to grind them up for... 4 AP I think. I try to level her back up so she's close to the same level as the rest of the crew anyway.

That's pretty wild that you can randomly just pass through them though. The hit detection seems to favor encounters from 2 spaces away instead of ghosting through things.

Thief Dash does weird things with that, especially in GBA where Thief Dash is uncontrollably speedy.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

For added hilarity, you could give your Monk Equip Ribbons, which lets them use the Man-Eater dagger. :v:

I did that for Omega! Monk was just chucking Hi-Pots/Phoenix Downs/Elixirs so why not? :v:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
is omega/shinryu feasible with a zerk/sam/w.mage/geo team?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Shinryu, yes since you can Zerk 'em and then spam Blink on your party.

Omega, probably not without a lot of levels, so high it's probably not worth it. White Mage helps with survivability, but you have no real damage options other than the rare times that the Berserker lands a hit with the Rune Axe or whatever.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2019, Run 6, Random: Monk / Summoner / Dancer / Geomancer

No Omega this time because forget sitting through Summoner casts of Ramuh/Odin while Omega counters all day (or waiting until Searches on a team with as lousy healing options as this).

Shin got the usual WW Berserk + Golem treatment (only managed to land one hit between Golems). NED couldn't do much against Golem and Carbuncle for the most part, though he did get one Almagest off that wiped everyone but Bartz (going for Catoblepas against that piece was probably a bad call, should've just damage raced it). Fortunately I got out one Phoenix Down and two Phoenix summons before much more could be done to my weakened team, and that piece bit the dust shortly thereafter. Rest of the battle went smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Mega64 posted:

Shinryu, yes since you can Zerk 'em and then spam Blink on your party.

Omega, probably not without a lot of levels, so high it's probably not worth it. White Mage helps with survivability, but you have no real damage options other than the rare times that the Berserker lands a hit with the Rune Axe or whatever.

Samurai crits are probably just about as reliable as Zerk axe swings :v: