Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

President Ark posted:

re: dupe rejection - it's gotten a lot better now that you can elect to get random goodies from the printer instead of dupes if you're so inclined

What's more is those random goodies are printed out at lower temperatures than the average ambient, helping out little by little against the inevitable heat build up of your base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Herp. I meant steel aquatuners, not turbines. Turbines won't ever really over heat.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Flesh Forge posted:

Endpoints of pipes are always capped, you never have any reason to just have a pipe terminate with nothing connected to it (and if you do that's ok, it won't leak).
Not true. Whenever I build a pwater sump or a reservoir I'm about to dump water into, I always build in a pump at the bottom, put in a ladder up, and leave the unconnected pipe stump and wire hanging out in midair. Then, when I eventually want to tap those resources using power, I don't have to send dupes to work underwater.

President Ark posted:

re: dupe rejection - it's gotten a lot better now that you can elect to get random goodies from the printer instead of dupes if you're so inclined

Yeah, I love the gachapon of delights. It's especially funny watching pacu flop themselves down to the bottom of the base and (hopefully) some water.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
that doesn't make what I said untrue :confused: just your pipe terminating at nothing results in nothing happening, it won't leak but it won't do anything productive either.

e: the reason I word it like that is to a new player, you might expect (I did) that an un-terminated pipe might usefully allow its contents to flow out, and they won't, I didn't think that was intuitive and it wasn't spelled out clearly anywhere that I read or in videos that I watched.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Flesh Forge posted:

e: the reason I word it like that is to a new player, you might expect (I did) that an un-terminated pipe might usefully allow its contents to flow out, and they won't, I didn't think that was intuitive and it wasn't spelled out clearly anywhere that I read or in videos that I watched.
That's an important and useful point. I was objecting to "you never have any reason to just have a pipe terminate with nothing connected to it". In my experience, I often do this when I'm pre-planning plumbing that I'll use later.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, I love the gachapon of delights. It's especially funny watching pacu flop themselves down to the bottom of the base and (hopefully) some water.

I raced to build a pond for them and 5 (of 8) survived. Now I need to figure out how to effectively farm them. Got a feeder set up, need to sort out next steps...

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Quinton posted:

I raced to build a pond for them and 5 (of 8) survived. Now I need to figure out how to effectively farm them. Got a feeder set up, need to sort out next steps...

Nooo. You're about to choke on fish.

Wild-farming Pacu is a lot better.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Yeah, I suspected they might be a trap. And I don't really have the algae infrastructure to support 'em...

edit: okay, I'm just going to declare Pacu Fish Steak the weekly special at the mess hall...

Quinton fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 4, 2019

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Pacu kept in a large enough tank at a suitable temperature produce 1600kcal every 25 cycles when wild.

When not wild they eat 140kg of algae per day per pacu. This will lead to an algae shortage very shortly.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

endlessmonotony posted:

Nooo. You're about to choke on fish.

Wild-farming Pacu is a lot better.

Pacu have no downside to being tame. They are born with enough calories to last them their entire lives and will produce 1 egg like the wild version.

If you really want to game things you can feed a pacu 1kg algae a day and it will will produce ~3-4 eggs over its lifespan.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Smiling Demon posted:

Pacu have no downside to being tame. They are born with enough calories to last them their entire lives and will produce 1 egg like the wild version.

If you really want to game things you can feed a pacu 1kg algae a day and it will will produce ~3-4 eggs over its lifespan.

Are they born with enough calories to avoid the warnings during their lifespan?

Gaming the system requires effort I could use on a lot more important things killing my colony, and they get overpopulated pretty quick, and not micromanaging the feeding results in being out of algae super fast.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Pacu Farming: Written off as a waste of algae...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e65anZi4iiM

I turned it into a Colony Defense Force training exercise and an excuse for Fish Steak Week at the cafe.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Quinton posted:

Pacu Farming: Written off as a waste of algae...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e65anZi4iiM

I turned it into a Colony Defense Force training exercise and an excuse for Fish Steak Week at the cafe.

Keeping the Pacu around (and in cold water) is a handy incremental source of food, but yeah, feeding them is the waste.

You'll get an another care package soon enough. Also try Pacu in cold polluted water.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

It's annoying that unlike work tasks one can't prioritize food consumption -- it's just all or nothing.

I'd like to have duplicants prefer to eat their most optimal food but avoid starvation by eating less tasty dishes, etc, without fiddling with the settings...

Latest care package includes a Puft. I understand they consume Polluted Oxygen and excrete Slime. Is it known if this Slime is infected by Slime Lung or is it a way to obtain it disease-free?

Quinton fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 4, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Quinton posted:

It's annoying that unlike work tasks one can't prioritize food consumption -- it's just all or nothing.

I'd like to have duplicants prefer to eat their most optimal food but avoid starvation by eating less tasty dishes, etc, without fiddling with the settings...

Latest care package includes a Puft. I understand they consume Polluted Oxygen and excrete Slime. Is it known if this Slime is infected by Slime Lung or is it a way to obtain it disease-free?

Slimelung free, also you can use morbs to create the PO2. Fill up an outhouse and disable cleaning it, this will create the morbs. You need as many morbs as you can get since the pufts eat way more than they produce. Also a thin layer of polluted water will offgas to help supplement.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 4, 2019

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

endlessmonotony posted:

Are they born with enough calories to avoid the warnings during their lifespan?

Gaming the system requires effort I could use on a lot more important things killing my colony, and they get overpopulated pretty quick, and not micromanaging the feeding results in being out of algae super fast.

Yes, no warnings.

The 1kg/cycle trick does produce warnings though. I just feed a breeder pool my excess algae after I've transitioned off of it for O2 production. The main pool can't get overpopulated if you set things up right ("overcrowded" doesn't matter - it just makes them eat less, "cramped" is what you need to avoid). You can have 500 fish in a half a tile of water, or crude oil if you are feeling particularly weird. Just autosweep the eggs into a different room and make sure that the only flopping path leads to the main chamber. The only concern is that the temperature of other fish will kill gulp fish.

Feeding pacu is only a waste if you do it wrong. Food is for breeding pacu.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 4, 2019

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mazz posted:

Slimelung free, also you can use morbs to create the PO2. Fill up an outhouse and disable cleaning it, this will create the morbs. You need as many morbs as you can get since the pufts eat way more than they produce. Also a thin layer of polluted water will offgas to help supplement.

Whoa. I have always avoided morbs and pufts because slimelung. Thank you.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Whoa. I have always avoided morbs and pufts because slimelung. Thank you.

The morbs do produce slimelung so you want this area confined, like how I made a water lock the entrance. Also you want the ambient air pressure low so the water offgasses. The pufts will basically always be hungry till you hit a ton of morbs, but so long as they’re alive long enough to lay eggs you’re good to just forget it all exists. That chain door at the entrance is to lock dupes out of that area once the toilet is full, so they don’t clean it. You can set everything above the floor up on powered airlocks, then wire them a clock sensor so they open for a couple seconds during the day. This will drop all the slime to the water to be picked up by a single conveyor arm.

As for breathing the slimelung, I’m a huge advocate for all suits all the time, so it’s not a concern.

You can see this in the drecko farm to the left for the phosphorite they make.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 4, 2019

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Drecko farms for plastic and phosporite are the best.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

endlessmonotony posted:

Drecko farms for plastic and phosporite are the best.

With 2 farms at 6 glossy (and 1 regular group since fiber became more useful) being my standard route, I've never actually used a plastic maker. I'll usually map out a spot for them in my industrial space but I never end up wiring/piping them up. Once you get past your needs for beds and priority ladders, you just slowly build up a giant stockpile for what is effectively no effort or pollution, and you get a pretty solid amount of phosphorite out of the mix.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 4, 2019

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Can you guys tell me more about farming dreckos? Like, how, and what are the benefits?

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can you guys tell me more about farming dreckos? Like, how, and what are the benefits?

I'm not an expert at farming drecko, but shearing them is the primary benefit - reed fiber or plastic. A secondary product from feeding them is phosphorite.

For reed fiber on many maps there are a huge number of wild drecko. Stick them into hydrogen rooms and keep them wild and they provide reed fiber for the cost of minimal duplicant labour. As always autosweep eggs.

I don't know the plastic route very well, I tend to setup up crude oil to petroleum boilers so I have vast excess petroleum that I can turn into plastic. The glossy dreckos are incredibly efficient material wise though.

One trick with drecko, both glossy and regular, is that scale growth is based on wild/tame status alone. Tame drecko, even if unhappy, produce at 4x the rate of wild drecko. Unhappy drecko eat less though. Using this you can get a theoretical rate of 50kg plastic for 6 kg of dirt. I'm not sure if anyone does this.

*You also get some meat and egg shells, though do not ranch drecko primarily for these as other critters produce more.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 4, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Dreckos eat plants (read: plants, not plant products) and poo poo phosphorite, but more importantly when they are in hydrogen they grow fibers on their backs. Regular drecko grow reed fiber, and glossy drecko grow plastic. With a setup thats something like this:

Each glossy drecko produces 150kg of plastic every 4-5 days. If they are in hydrogen 100% of the time its 3 days, but you assume a little but of farm time and dumb pathing. Whats very important is the amount they eat has no bearing on their wool growth, just the presense of hydrogen. So basically you can starve them forever and all you get is slightly lower phosphorite production, but the same amount of shearing material.

The input required for all of this is ~2 farm tiles of mealwood or bristle that you have disabled harvest on, and some time with a rancher to do the shearing. I do 9 tile wide rooms for a few reasons but the big one is that's the width of one sweeper, so I can auto-collect the phosphorite. That photo doesn't show the door trick, but this one does if you look for the ranches middle right.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 4, 2019

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Mazz posted:

Dreckos eat plants (read: plants, not plant products) and poo poo phosphorite, but more importantly when they are in hydrogen they grow fibers on their backs. Regular drecko grow reed fiber, and glossy drecko grow plastic. With a setup thats something like this:

That made me realize something. Can I use a pip to plant wild mealwood to feed dreckos for no input whatsoever? It takes a bit of creative building but...

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I have very little time in the game since QoL Mk2 came out so I don't know the exact process for pips, but I would assume so.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Can I see more detail on an oil -> petroleum boiler? The refinery is a huge pain in the rear end with dupe labor so skipping that would be cool but last time I tried I just got sour gas everywhere and it sucked.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Mazz posted:

I have very little time in the game since QoL Mk2 came out so I don't know the exact process for pips, but I would assume so.

Pips plant seeds on dirt/algae/sandstone tiles, as long as there's not too many plants within an area. They do every other space with real creative building as long as there's 5 spaces below empty of plants (but not above, so you can see where this is going). Problem is they don't plant on built tiles, so you have to do something like heating a deoxydizer to create suitable tiles.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

In the good news department, a Natural Gas Geyser will become active in only 12 cycles...

In the not as good news department, a Volcano discovered immediately below the base becomes active 2 cycles later...

Any clever ideas for doing something with that Volcano?

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

bird food bathtub posted:

Can I see more detail on an oil -> petroleum boiler? The refinery is a huge pain in the rear end with dupe labor so skipping that would be cool but last time I tried I just got sour gas everywhere and it sucked.

I'll try and get some screenshots, I've built enough of these certainly.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Quinton posted:

In the good news department, a Natural Gas Geyser will become active in only 12 cycles...

In the not as good news department, a Volcano discovered immediately below the base becomes active 2 cycles later...

Any clever ideas for doing something with that Volcano?

I have a preferred volcano build, but it needs steel.

Encase the volcano in Obsidian Insulated Tiles, except one tile to the left or right of the neutronium base. Under that tile you have a steel mechanized airlock, halfway below the neutronium and where the magma's trapped. Then you extend that outward with at least three steel metal tiles to form a boiling chamber for the water for a steam turbine. If at least two steel metal tiles don't contact the water from below, you get efficiency issues which will clog it up.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
So here is a picture of a crude oil to petroleum boiler:

with piping:

and automation:

The previous one of these I built had some complicated extras to use the metal refinery as its heat source, so I built this quickly in sand box using the magma as a stand in for the heat source. It comes in three basic parts

1. The heat source. Typically one of: volcano output, metal refinery output, glass forge output, other sources of magma, or space material aquatuner heat
2. The "cooking chamber". Its the small section of metal tiles and the steam chamber immediately to its left.
3. The heat exchanger. This is the huge snaking radiant pipe with petroleum flowing by it.

I'll leave the heat source abstracted for now, with the note that all materials must not melt. If you've been using copper for wires, consider something less melty here. Lead is a strict no.

The cooking chamber is where all the automation circuits are.

The 4 (steel) mechanized airlocks act as heat clamps. When they are open they form a vacuum and don't conduct heat. When they are closed the heat will transfer. The thermo sensors will open the left most doors if the temperature in the left chamber is > 430C and the the right doors if the temperature in the right chamber is > 403C. The 430C can be altered without much of a problem, the 403C is actually important and should not be changed. Crude oil turns to petroleum at ~399.9C but the game adds a few degrees extra to prevent something from changing state back and forth rapidly. This intermediate chamber prevents exposing the crude/petroleum directly to magma heat and prevents sour gas from forming. It also allows for more control in the amount of heat you let into the chamber. If you are using a more tame heat source the intermediate chamber is not needed.

Under the liquid vent is a hydro sensor rigged to be active when the pressure is less than 800kg. Petroleum under light pressure only has ~770kg per tile, while crude oil has ~870kg per tile. If the pressure is higher than 800kg then we have a crude oil backup and the shutoff stops adding more crude into the chamber until the heat manages to catch up. Note that the shutoff is in a vacuum - since the oil flowing through it will be approaching 400C even steel would be insufficient if it were not in a vacuum. When the system is running the shutoff should always be on, but when you are starting the system up there will be a heat deficit. This also protects the system in case of a loss of heat.

The heat exchanger take the newly 400C petroleum and imparts that heat on the incoming crude oil. The hot petrol going one way and colder crude the other will create a temperature gradient along the length of the radiant pipe. The exact size here isn't relevant, I just guessed it would be enough. Do not put tempshift plates in the heat exchanger, that works against the temperature gradient. I would avoid running the radiant pipe into the cooking chamber as that potentially leads to broken pipes if the crude gets too hot.

The heat exchanger is not strictly necessary but without it you will use a lot more heat energy and your petroleum will be too hot for steel pumps.

Building this outside of sandbox basically requires you to have a large vacuumed chamber to work in.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 6, 2019

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

....apparently I don't know how to play Oxygen Not Included. This stuff is incredible!
(I automated my lights to switch off at night-time and felt like a genius.)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That oil refinery would be a fun use case for a nuclear reactor if they ever add one, assuming they make it produce heat as long as it's submerged in water rather than doing something boring like having it produce electricity directly

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Do tame hatches get a buff from eating from a feeder, or can I ore-drop onto the ground for the same effect?

Also, I have a full-size magma volcano near my base. I'm ranching a godzillion regular hatches (started on the sand map), and am probably going to use coal power for the foreseeable future as a peak-loader (vs petroleum or sour-gas). Is a volcano good for direct-to-turbines, or is there not enough heat long-term?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mazz posted:

Screenshots like this are inevitably why I stop playing this game, lol. I have a hard enough time figuring out how to move different gases around my base effectively. Once I start getting into the more complex machinery and systems that are in the midgame I always eventually get overwhelmed and either my base slowly goes to poo poo, or I just give up.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Well, due note that Mazz is on cycle 1094 in that screenshot and spent a lot of time fine tuning and perfecting the base. Also, Mazz has some pretty good and well thought out designs...My smelting has evolved slightly, but the root design is based off of Mazz's smelting setup.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Alkydere posted:

5) Seriously don't worry too much about slimelung. If you have a medbay set up they'll spend only a few hours coughing up phlem then be good again (oh and set up a medbay)

You've seriously overestimated my competence, how am I going to make a medbay I've gotta make a big elaborate sewage / recycler syste- oops, died of no air again.

Another question: simple foods, how do I get lots? like what should I be gunning for after I've gotten my basic research

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 5, 2019

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Mushrooms consume slime, live in CO2, have a pretty easy to deal with temperature range, don't require plumbing infrastructure, have no crazy requirements and can get you basically to end-game stage before their morale is an issue.

They really are the perfect food for starting out. Get whatever spores you can and manually add slime while you need to, then when you have a sweeper it can pull the slime from a submerged storage bin and fertilize for you. 3 mushrooms per dupe I believe.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 5, 2019

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Mealwood until you break into Slime, Mushrooms afterward in your CO2 hole and Bristle Berry to teach you how to handle water and cooling for your base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Put the finishing touches on my heat exchanger with the icy core of my asteroid!

I now am capable of sending 50C hydrogen down from the base and getting -100C hydrogen in return.

Hopefully all that ice will last me a while...