Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

Is motorcycle insurance generally cheap? progressive just quoted me at $140 a year for regular coverage (not comprehensive) for my first bike 1999 honda shadow and I'm feeling a little bit of that too good to be true stuff.

It does seem kind of random. I'm paying $315 a year for my tuono 1100. That's full coverage and I'm 33 and have had one accident so idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I pay ~£500 a year for 500 miles of third party, fire and theft on a 125cc bike. My xsr700 is ~£1100 for 2000 miles.

My insurance would go down if I parked it on the street instead of chained up in my apartments underground car park.

Makes no sense.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Here's my fun coverage story: I pay state farm 420 per year right now for comprehensive theft, collision, and I think medical, 28M, CBR300R, one accident.

But

My insurance went DOWN after I had that one accident

And this is no loving joke, Geico quoted me an annual premium of 5400 dollars for comprehensive. I want to emphasize, I bough this bike new off a dealer lot as a past year model for 2800 dollars.

:psyduck:

In conclusion I'm pretty sure motorcycle underwriting is powered by industrial glue fumes.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 5, 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That's what's called, I think "adversarial pricing" in the industry it basically means "we want a presence in this market but in no way do we want to insure you" it's all part of the crazy glue-fume powered casualty insurance algorithm cooked up by super computers in basements in Hartford run by witches that determine US insurance rates.

Same reason my house that cost $250k, and would cost $200k to burn down and rebuild as a much nicer house is insured for a minimum value of half a million, and I can't get anyone to insure it for less.

And presumably why my rates went down after I had an $8k claim on a one day old policy (I might have "accident forgiveness" which might be "all claims forgiveness" as part of my policy? IDK, I only have Progressive for my bikes because USAA doesn't do bikes, and they didn't really hassle me about a theft that could be totally construed as my fault so I have no motivation to find someone else, they are ridiculously cheap)

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 5, 2019

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Saw a Cagiva Gran Canyon today, pretty rare bike to see. But weirdly, when he changed lanes he indicated with his arm. Must be those Italian electrics.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If I saw one of those in passing I'd probably think it was a Varadero.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

For the first time in almost 2 years I did a good ride on the R6 again and realised just how rusty I have gotten on a Supersport.

Taking it slow for the rest of the month to get back the feels for it but at least all the repairs and mods are finished, good and the inspection is renewed.

Still absolutely adore the looks of her.

E: the open exhaust system seems to have degraded the hot start ability a bit. The engine now needs a few seconds at elevated rpm after cranking to keep its idle when hot, but after those few seconds it's back to running normal. I expect this is the result of the removal of the exup valve but it's just a minor inconvenience.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 6, 2019

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
1000 miles without stopping, which includes in-flight refueling https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/texas-iron-butt-challenge-1000-miles-24-hours-zero-stops

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Nice! Too bad the IBA won’t certify it, they require a fuel stop every 350 miles to make it harder to spoof.

I’ve done an Iron Butt on that same CBR250R and my knees ache just thinking about it. Hope the rider wasn’t too tall. Going the full day without walking and stretching must have been rough.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
I loving love that story and also that it's basically the exact opposite of our upcoming Iron Butt attempt.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
1,000 miles at an average of 45 mph sounds like the worst way to accomplish that. :v: Still cool as hell, though.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

I rode my bike to the DMV today, used my MSF waiver for my motorcycle endorsement and got the bike put in my name and tagged. Felt soooo good, I put 45 miles on it today and I'm riding it to work tomorrow. I'm upset I waited until 26 to start riding.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
alright, some 2019 Enflield Himalayan updates, lol.

First the good: Bike is a blast to ride.

The bad: at 300 miles I did my oil change, also took a slight bath in the mud but that appears to be totally unrelated to issues (not a bad dump, never went horizontal or turned off, cleaned it instantly). But, also after doing 300 mile oil change, I started riding faster because the book says that's fine.

I started having a stalling issue which I could not trace down; bike is back at the dealer now, and they say that my air intake is low leading to low engine compression. The good news is this is all being covered under warranty, but the bad news is they think at a minimum they need to replace the cylinder head. So, that loving alarms me on a bike with 800 miles on it, and makes me think "maybe I should sell this before the warranty is up and just buy a used, carb'd KLR", but, I really like riding this stupid little thing and it gets more looks and compliments than it gives me, uh, reliable trips to town SO FAR, so we'll see what happens with the repair etc.

If the low compression turns out to actually be a cracked block, I have NO idea how they will handle that. Time will tell.

I'm a QA engineer, if I wasn't, maybe I would have been less quick to buy a bike that's going to need constant bug reports. You should see the level of detail in the problem description I left with the dealer, it's better than most of the tickets I open at work.

I AM STOCKHOLMED, AND THEIR ABILITY TO FIX THIS ISSUE FOR ME WILL DETERMINE WHETHER I GET A 650 HIMA WHEN THEY LAUNCH HERE IN 2 YEARS :lsd:

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

I rode my bike to the DMV today, used my MSF waiver for my motorcycle endorsement and got the bike put in my name and tagged. Felt soooo good, I put 45 miles on it today and I'm riding it to work tomorrow. I'm upset I waited until 26 to start riding.

I am glad I waited until my 30s because if I'd gotten on a bike at 25, I absolutely would have just jumped straight to a 600cc+ thing, and probably killed myself twice by now. But, I was a dumbass teenager who took a while to ripen.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 9, 2019

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

How long is the warranty period anyway? AM or PM?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
No one could have predicted this.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tim Raines IRL posted:

alright, some 2019 Enflield Himalayan updates, lol.

First the good: Bike is a blast to ride.

The bad: at 300 miles I did my oil change, also took a slight bath in the mud but that appears to be totally unrelated to issues (not a bad dump, never went horizontal or turned off, cleaned it instantly). But, also after doing 300 mile oil change, I started riding faster because the book says that's fine.

I started having a stalling issue which I could not trace down; bike is back at the dealer now, and they say that my air intake is low leading to low engine compression. The good news is this is all being covered under warranty, but the bad news is they think at a minimum they need to replace the cylinder head. So, that loving alarms me on a bike with 800 miles on it, and makes me think "maybe I should sell this before the warranty is up and just buy a used, carb'd KLR", but, I really like riding this stupid little thing and it gets more looks and compliments than it gives me, uh, reliable trips to town SO FAR, so we'll see what happens with the repair etc.

If the low compression turns out to actually be a cracked block, I have NO idea how they will handle that. Time will tell.

I'm a QA engineer, if I wasn't, maybe I would have been less quick to buy a bike that's going to need constant bug reports. You should see the level of detail in the problem description I left with the dealer, it's better than most of the tickets I open at work.

I AM STOCKHOLMED, AND THEIR ABILITY TO FIX THIS ISSUE FOR ME WILL DETERMINE WHETHER I GET A 650 HIMA WHEN THEY LAUNCH HERE IN 2 YEARS :lsd:

I am glad I waited until my 30s because if I'd gotten on a bike at 25, I absolutely would have just jumped straight to a 600cc+ thing, and probably killed myself twice by now. But, I was a dumbass teenager who took a while to ripen.

Wait, you're a QA engineer and you bought an Enfield??

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

No one could have predicted this.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Finger Prince posted:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Finger Prince posted:

Self flaggelation is part of the disease

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
We had a customer, or almost had a customer, who was kinda batty and brought us a Himalayan (we used to be an Enfield dealer before Enfield dropped their US importer) for a weird stalling issue. Then he took it back for reasons I couldn't understand and took it to a dealer. I don't know why he didn't do this to begin with because he knew we weren't a dealer anymore. He just dropped it off and then took it back before we even had time to work on it. And he was like so insanely mad at having an issue with his bike that needed to be fixed by a dealer under warranty. I seriously would not be surprised if he hunted down an Enfield employee and threatened their family members or firebombed their office or something. Like kinda scary and I hope I don't run into him again even though he wasn't mad at us.

But apparently they did fix the bike cause I saw him again riding it. He kept the bike and continued riding it even though he still hated the bike more than anything on earth and hated the people who made it more than anyone on earth.

Made like a gun since 1901.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tim Raines IRL posted:

they say that my air intake is low leading to low engine compression.

what

quote:

The good news is this is all being covered under warranty, but the bad news is they think at a minimum they need to replace the cylinder head.

... what

quote:

If the low compression turns out to actually be a cracked block

what

quote:

I'm a QA engineer

BAHAHAHAH

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'd say it's less about karmic Justice and more about deliberately but subconsciously punishing myself for places in my career where I know I didn't do any real work for months at a time

sequences off nonsequiters are the norm, both for my posts obviously but also for Engield service in general, but usually you get a working bike back! for a while

anyway I'm happy to be the resident Enfield lunatic here, since I don't think we have any others?

one of my coworkers has ridden these bikes a lot, in the Himalayas. he doesn't recommended it

e: also my company has a corporate deal with Ducati and I could have gotten any one at 15% off, this isn't about money it's about my self-defeatibg ideals. logically if my bike is in the shop most of the time, I'm less likely to get hurt on it

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 10, 2019

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Don't let them get to you, you are my new hero. You will grow as a QA professional and as a person. Grow like vegetables do in fact, given ample fertilizing manure.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My only problem with your Enfield ownership is that you haven't been posting more pictures of it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coydog posted:

My only problem with your Enfield ownership is that you haven't been posting more pictures of it.

Maybe we should buy his mechanic an account.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

Maybe we should buy his mechanicblacksmith an account.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

lol if you think there's metal on this bike

the manual says "do not damage the finish on the tank, it can't be repaired or painted". not kidding

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That sounds like an invitation to plastidip it, because it is literally impossible to not to scuff your fuel tank.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

lol if you think there's metal on this bike

the manual says "do not damage the finish on the tank, it can't be repaired or painted". not kidding

:lol: amazing.

Wait till the speedo starts playing up and random bodywork screws start going missing.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Harley's in town doing demo rides of the Livewire. (For Seattle goons, they're at The Wick today and tomorrow.) Typical demo ride setup with a group (5 bikes + leader and follower) on a couple mile route around town, mostly residential with one stretch onto a faster arterial, which they looped twice. So here are my impressions after maybe 15-20 minutes on the bike.

It's not comfortable. I'm 5' 8" and the bars felt far from the seat while the pegs felt too close to it. The seat is tiny. The tank was not nice to squeeze. The bars were also very wide, which helped toss the weight around - though it's "only" about 550 lbs which is on part for a Sportster. It seemed to turn and stop okay. It felt pretty well put together. The digital gauge's graphics seemed dated and plain. One of the bikes had to get pulled aside because it was glitching out when my ride was about to start, so they swapped it with the one they were using for HD official ride-by commercial shots.

It is spooky fast. All the jokes about electric bikes sounding like podracers and feeling like hitting FTL drives or whatever are totally valid. It just goes vrrrrvrvrvrvrRRRR and then you're doing 75 and you forget there aren't gears because the power never falls off and the rate of acceleration never changes. It just keeps going. They say 0-60 in 3 seconds and I believe it.

It's an experience. I highly recommend it if you get a chance, even (maybe especially) if you don't like electric bikes. It may not change your mind about what the ideal of motorcycling is and whether you need internal combustion and gears and vibration to reach it but surely you can still appreciate being pulled along like a rollercoaster you get to control.

I also think the way they handled the rear lights/fender/plate situation is clever:

I am definitely not going to spend $30,000 USD on one but it does make me excited to have an electric bike someday.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Is there another brake light at the back of the seat? Karen won't be able to see that light on the swingarm in her 4runner.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m an oncologist and I only run my microwave with the door open AMA

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

tjones posted:

Is there another brake light at the back of the seat? Karen won't be able to see that light on the swingarm in her 4runner.

There is not but that one is bright and pointed up.

Karen’s not gonna see anything she’s looking at her phone anyway.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
"Hey let's put a hugger over the rear so the rider doesn't get splattered with bullshit from the road since there's nothing else on the tail"

"OK, but the styling department says you have to cut a 4x6" hole in it so you can see the tire."

"That ignores the point of having a hugger, plus it looks dumb"

"WE NEED TO SEE THE TIRE, IT'S AN IMPORTANT PART OF THE BIKE'S STYLE"

:what:

mewse
May 2, 2006

It’s kinda funny that HD’s idea of a futuristic concept bike looks like a chonky UJM

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mewse posted:

It’s kinda funny that HD’s idea of a futuristic concept bike looks like a chonky UJM

Actually it looks identical to every other electric bike aka a giant brick shaped battery with a bike awkwardly stretched around it, except less lovely up close thanks to Harley's brilliant fit and finish.

E: while we're here, why ARE the batteries always a giant stupid looking slab? I thought they were composed of hundreds of thumb sized dry cells so couldn't you lay them out in any shape you please, like Lego?

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Actually it looks identical to every other electric bike aka a giant brick shaped battery with a bike awkwardly stretched around it, except less lovely up close thanks to Harley's brilliant fit and finish.

E: while we're here, why ARE the batteries always a giant stupid looking slab? I thought they were composed of hundreds of thumb sized dry cells so couldn't you lay them out in any shape you please, like Lego?

The pouch cells are sort of like pop tart size and shape. What do you think is a better layout in terms of maximizing density?

Also if anyone has technical questions about the LiveWire or any of its competitors (Zero/Energica) I have been living this life for a while now and can answer simple or complex things and promise to do so with only moderate bias.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Shaft drive electric bike when?

The motors everyone uses are like the size of a football, it cannot possibly be that hard to turn one sideways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

The LiveWire's is sideways.