Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jivjov posted:

We don't have an English name or effect text for it yet...but here's the newest Dominion promo!

The English name would be Schwerin Cathedral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Roluth posted:

THE RIDE NEVER ENDS. (that would be the 13th expansion for Dominion now)

Looks like we're getting EVEN MORE DOMINION

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
After buying the base game and Intrigue (all 2nd ed) my wife and I now bought Seaside and it's amazingly good. Duration cards are a great addition but some of the normal new cards like Ambassador and Salvager make a huge difference to the way a game can play out.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Amby for me is almost a snap pick to buy 2 for the opening for every game it's in. Its like the one Attack card that's actually fully rude.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Estate Tennis sucks so I just veto Ambassador every time

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If anyone is at GenCon, the two new promos (Church and Captain) are apparently on sale

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dang they have apparently been up in dominion.games since Thursday.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So...there are 10 promo kingdom cards now. Who wants to play an all-promo game sometime?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

jivjov posted:

So...there are 10 promo kingdom cards now. Who wants to play an all-promo game sometime?

I veto Black Market

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

jivjov posted:

If anyone is at GenCon, the two new promos (Church and Captain) are apparently on sale

(A) They we're just giving them away
(B) I didn't catch this until they ran out but they gave me Prince and Governor anyway

Guess I'll just get them next year.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Toshimo posted:

(A) They we're just giving them away
(B) I didn't catch this until they ran out but they gave me Prince and Governor anyway

Guess I'll just get them next year.

Per DXV on Reddit, he's pretty sure they'll be going up on the BGG store soon anyway

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I recently won my first game of Dominion without buying or gaining any treasures. I mostly bought Workshops, Salvagers, Villages and a couple of Upgrades and won by exactly 1 point :catdrugs:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

u brexit ukip it posted:

I recently won my first game of Dominion without buying or gaining any treasures. I mostly bought Workshops, Salvagers, Villages and a couple of Upgrades and won by exactly 1 point :catdrugs:

It's really satisfying when a Kingdom lets you do nonsense like this. The classic is workshop/gardens, though I think that's probably wildly outclassed by newer content.

I've barely played since... before GUilds? I think?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Actual Dominion news: some minor rule changes/clarifications and matching card text errata:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2281518/dominion-2019-errata-and-rules-tweaks

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Dominion: Menagerie announced

http://riograndegames.com/Game/1350-Dominion-Menagerie

quote:

Dominion, that’s what you’re trying to achieve. This time with animals! They each have a lesson to teach, whether it’s how to spit really far, or what kind of grass tastes the best. It’s a lot to keep track of, but you’re like an elephant: you remember everything. And you’re afraid of mice. You’ve taken up riding. Horses are intimidating; they say you can lead a horse to water, but you haven’t managed it. So you’re working your way up, starting with dogs. So far so good; the dog hasn’t bucked you off yet. Your menagerie got off to a poor start, with just a goat, two rats, and the advisor who suggested starting a menagerie. You couldn’t get that fox you wanted, but it was probably bad anyway. Now you’ve got some camels, which are just as useless for sewing as you’d been warned, and a turtle that can hold its breath for longer than anyone can stay interested. Soon the animal kingdom will be yours.

This is the 13th expansion to Dominion®. It has 400 cards, with 30 new Kingdom cards. There are Horses that save a draw for later, Exile mats that cards can be sent to and rescued from, and Ways that give Actions another option. Events return.

Dominion®: Menagerie is an expansion, and cannot be played by itself; to play with it, you need the Basic cards and rulebook (Dominion® provides both). Dominion®: Menagerie can also be combined with any other Dominion® expansions you have.
We hope you enjoy this expanding world of Dominion®!

Errata:

This game is perfect

Perfect.

Also, per Donald_X on reddit:

quote:

And I should have mentioned: We currently expect it to be out March 18.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The discord is currently taking about "horse tokens", which is presumably a delusion caused by an information starved mind.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

The discord is currently taking about "horse tokens", which is presumably a delusion caused by an information starved mind.

The description does mention horses “which save a draw for later” so it’s not totally far fetched that they would mimic action/coin tokens. Just as likely though it could be a duration style card or some other persistent mechanic, we’ll have to wait and see.

Kind of glad the announcement was later than usual, it’ll mean less time waiting for spoilers and previews.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This reads like an April Fool's joke except it's January

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Menagerie expected to release on or very near to March 18th, preview cards will show up online during the first week of March.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Previews confirmed to start Monday, and Donald has given us a cryptic teaser I shall put below:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Previews!

Menagerie Previews 1: 5 Cards posted:

So, it's come to this. Previews. I suppose I have myself to blame.

Menagerie - hey isn't that the name of a card? - has 400 cards, like Adventures. That includes 30 Kingdom cards. There are two major themes: Exile and Horses. There are also two kinds of landscapes: Ways and Events, with 20 of each. I'll do the math for you: 30 kingdom cards is 300 cards, plus 30 randomizers is 330, plus 40 landscapes is 370, and I'll just tell you now that there are 30 Horses. That means no Victory cards, and no other surprise extra piles.

Day 2 of previews will cover Horses, and day 3 Exile; day 4 will have landscapes, and day 5 will have... some more cards. Here on day 1 we have 5 miscellaneous cards, to get you started with a bunch, because as before the cards are immediately try-out-able at dominion.games.

Card images:

Snowy Village gives you a bunch of actions and a buy, but closes the door on even more actions that turn. Some of you may remember this from the holiday joke cards that were on dominionstrategy a few years ago. I wouldn't be expecting those other cards, but this one was worth doing.

Sheepdog gives Dominion another blue dog. You can play it anytime you gain a card. It may not even be your turn. Playing it means you put it into play and get your +2 Cards; it will be discarded in that turn's Clean-up, even if it's not yours. Using the Reaction part doesn't use up an Action; it just leaps into play and draws you cards. If it draws you another Sheepdog, you can use that one right away too; you can keep playing Sheepdogs until you run out of them.

Animal Fair gives you a weird way to pay for it. The card costs $7; the alternate payment just applies when you're buying one. At the point at which you'd pay your $7, you can trash an Action from your hand instead (and can do this when you don't have $7). And then what do you get, you get +$4 and some number of Buys.

Kiln is another in the long line of Explorers. It most easily gains Treasures, but if you can play an Action after it, you can gain a copy of that, and it can even gain Night cards.

And finally Barge is a Duration card with an effect you can have now or later. Handy if you don't want to draw dead cards, or have drawn your deck already. If you take it now, it's just discarded that turn. All the sets seem to squeeze in a few Duration cards these days, and this set has four of them.

Again, those of you on dominion.games, you can probably try the cards right about now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Okay, I absolutely LOVE that one of the joke holiday cards got resurrected into this set. Also, wow, 20 new Events. DXV's really gotten a lot of mileage out of that concept and I'm here for it.

Is Barge the first time we've seen that "Either now or later" effect?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Barge isn't Wharf, but it still seems pretty good. Smithy with a +buy stapled onto it is still fine, and the delay effect could be helpful for smoothing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Laying down some end of turn Barges when you've already drawn everything/what you need will help differentiate it too. Also is good in situations where you don't have any actions to spare; rather than drawing some dead actions you can opt to set up for next turn. Throning it will also be interesting since I assume you can decide on the fly what to do after that first draw. This is just off the top of my head tho, I'm sure there will be even other scenarios/combos.

I'm a really big fan of Sheepdog and Kiln, triggering on things that happen all the time, but that haven't been used as triggers in that way before. It's crazy how DXV has continuously been able to mine the structure of the game for new concepts that are still relatively simple but feel fresh and new.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

jivjov posted:

Is Barge the first time we've seen that "Either now or later" effect?

I believe so. It was one of the text fragments posted in the preview preview, so DXV is obviously pretty proud of it.

Roluth posted:

Barge isn't Wharf, but it still seems pretty good. Smithy with a +buy stapled onto it is still fine, and the delay effect could be helpful for smoothing.

There's a joke that there's a missing link between Smithy (+3 Cards) and Margrave (+3 Cards, + Buy, Attack) and Tragic Hero (+3 Cards, + Buy, Treasure gain thingy). Barge adds to this fossil record. It's no Wharf, but it's good, and +3 cards at the start of a turn is really helpful. I've not yet put in in a Throne Room, I wonder if you can set it so on one play it draws, the other it waits. Probably!
Sheepdog is conditionally useful, but w/ a lot more conditions than Faithful Hound. Sometimes it can do nothing but draw dead cards after you buy something in the Buy Phase. Other times it can be a really nice burst of drawing for free. Kiln is neat, I love how finickity it is that it only targets the very next card played. Animal Fair feels like it should be pretty strong accelerant, but having it take two buys (one for the lovely $2 cantrip, the other to trash in exchange) actually makes it less scary than you might think. Also, frequently the + Buy will never trigger.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lol one of my friends pointed out that "Snowy Village" is a pretty good analogy for cocaine, because of the "snow" part and because you get a burst of actions but then crash and can't do anything else haha

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I love how these are so simple and so weird. Sheepdog seems a bit finicky, buy all the rest are great.

If you Throne Barge you can choose different options, I've tried it on the online version.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Menagerie Previews 2: Horses posted:

Horse is a non-supply pile. There are 30 of them. You get one via a card saying "gain a Horse" or something. If the pile is empty you can't gain one, but let's hope that doesn't happen much. Horse looks like this:

So Horse is a one-use Laboratory; it puts you up a card and then is gone. Or, you know, you don't have to play it; you can Remodel it or something. It's there for you. Once in your deck, it's just like Experiment, from Renaissance; it turns out, they were experimenting on Horses. Eight total kingdom cards use Horses, and four landscapes. Here are some of those kingdom cards.

Supplies is an easy one: when you play it, you get a Horse. The Horse goes onto your deck, so normally you'll just start with it next turn.

Scrap gives you a choice of bonuses, with more stuff for trashing a more expensive card. You could for example trash an Estate and get +1 Card and +1 Action, or trash a Horse and get +1 Buy, a Silver, and a Horse.

Livery makes everything that's expensive enough come with a Horse that turn. This works on cards you buy, or cards you get other ways. With two Liveries, everything comes with two Horses. With two Liveries, and you buy Farmland, trashing Remodel to gain a Border Village which comes with a Laboratory, you gain six Horses. Many Horses could be yours.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

quote:

With two Liveries, and you buy Farmland, trashing Remodel to gain a Border Village which comes with a Laboratory, you gain six Horses. Many Horses could be yours.

That's a lot of Horses!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
That sheepdog is a very good dog.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mega64 posted:

That's a lot of Horses!

Can't wait for somebody to figure out a way to gain literally all 30 Horses in the same turn.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

u brexit ukip it posted:

Can't wait for somebody to figure out a way to gain literally all 30 Horses in the same turn.

King's Court (King's Court (Livery, Engineer, Laboratory), Engineer, Engineer), Engineer.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Ah King's Court, you broken thing you. The original megaturn with Bridge.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Menagerie Previews 3:Exile posted:

Menagerie includes Exile mats, one per player. They're a place to put cards where they're still yours but not in your deck. The Exile mat has a built-in rule to let you get the cards off of it; check it out:

What that all means will vary a lot, depending on the card doing the exiling. Eight kingdom cards use Exiling, and six landscapes; here are some of those kingdom cards.

Bounty Hunter mainly stores cards that you probably don't want to draw anymore. If you didn't have one of whatever it is in Exile already, you get +$3, so early on it helps you spike $ amounts, and then it's either a way to at least get rid of more cards, or you can consider collecting a bounty on something you weren't exactly planning on parting with. And after that it can keep Provinces out of your deck, so I mean, what's not to like.

Stockpile has a different trick: it Exiles itself. You can just buy another one to get back the first one, and Exile them again, and buy another to get back those two, and so on. Until the pile runs out anyway.

Coven has yet another trick. It hands out Curses, but they don't just poison your deck immediately; they accumulate in Exile and then one day you dump them all into your deck at once. I will just tell you now, you better not be relying on Bounty Hunter to get rid of the Curses; you can keep collecting the bounty, but Coven will keep dumping them back into your deck.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

At first glance this just seemed like a rehash of the Tavern mat but he does some interesting stuff with it, and I like that it has its own built in mechanic for removing stuff from the mat. Seems more and more like Nocturne was a fluke and DXV has redoubled his efforts to make mechanics that are fairly basic but also provide a lot of variety. This set is shaping up to be even simpler than Renaissance in my estimation (in a good way, as in less fidly bits and extra rules)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Donald was not afraid of loving w/ tempo this game. Bounty Hunter and Stockpile both easily give you $5 or more on your second shuffle (after which they quickly peter out), and Animal Fair is a +$4 card that you can nab for probably less than $3 (over the course of two buys, which hurts more than a lot of people seem to think).

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 4, 2020

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Turning your Necropolis into Animal Fair tho....

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Don't forget Kilning more Animal Fairs to get those $7 cards for free...

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Man I'm such a dunce I was looking at Bounty Hunter like "oh I guess it's like a trasher but you only get a bonus the first time for each card?" and then the designer needed to point out you can use it to stash your Provinces and such :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

Donald was not afraid of loving w/ tempo this game. Bounty Hunter and Stockpile both easily give you $5 or more on your second shuffle (after which they quickly peter out)

Well Feast from the very first set got you a guaranteed $5 plus whatever else you drew, and then there's stuff like Death Cart that could get you even significantly higher (although with its own drawbacks/luck in order to line up with a ruins and keep it longer). But yeah he has never been shy about doing stuff that blows up those first few turns. I'm a big fan of anything that allows crazy variation on the usual 3/4 or 5/2 opening; nothing like so far (except as noted the rare Necropolis/Animal Fair opening) but there's plenty more cards coming so hopefully!