Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Silver Diamond has an interesting plant-based alternate world, stuff like wooden guns that shoot seeds and plants that grow into houses. The shounen-ai elements are very light, it's mostly an adventure story, & being pretty old you have to deal with varying levels of scan quality. It's a shame the official English release died about halfway through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
There's nothing quite like Dorohedoro unfortunately, aside from maybe the new series by the same author, but it's only been 10 chapters or so and it's a little early to say.

Dungeon Meshi builds world and characters extremely well, but it's "just" a very thoughtful and skilled approach and lacks the uniquely bizarre charm from Dorohedoro. Has an anime, i think??

Heterogenous Linguistics is an interesting puzzle since the protagonist constantly has to fight various language barriers to understand the people and world around him, which gives it an alluring mystery feeling.

The Golem Dad manga whose name i forgot also has nice worldbuilding mainly done through art instead of textdumps, and it's a very diverse fantasy world, too.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love Beastars' world building it really leans into the animal setting and it ends up kinda horrifying in certain aspects.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ninjewtsu posted:

What anime/manga do really fascinating/bizarre world building really well? I'm thinking of something in the vein of dorohedoro

Not nearly on the same level, but Haibane Renmei:hr: has an interesting world.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ninjewtsu posted:

What anime/manga do really fascinating/bizarre world building really well? I'm thinking of something in the vein of dorohedoro
Somali and the Forest Spirit has a really hosed up fantasy world where humans are hunted and devoured by the otherwise generally cool and chill monsterpeople of the world

like they'll be chatting and serving coffee and tea at a cafe and oh there's some humans down the way? well let's just get a good ol' huntin' party going and catch us some dinner

it also just has wonderfully bizarre world design and so far is a dark slice of life series with a ghibliesque forest-protecting golem and a small human child he has chosen to protect as he tries to find a human settlement she can live in before his scheduled lifespan runs out

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So I got Crunchyroll to watch the new Jojo. that's done, and trying to find something else that's really good to justify it. Big fan of Erased, S1 of One Punch Man, and Rahxephon.

Maybe Mob Psycho? I've heard good things about it.

Or maybe I should cancel it and try using Hulu I dunno.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Mob Pyscho is absolutely a great choice.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Shageletic posted:

So I got Crunchyroll to watch the new Jojo. that's done, and trying to find something else that's really good to justify it. Big fan of Erased, S1 of One Punch Man, and Rahxephon.

Mob is dope, watch Mob.

You said you liked Overlord, you could check Dr. Stone out since it's a "sorta isekai" like that one but the concept is "this genius kid has to rebuild society by sciencing poo poo real hard".

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Give Symphogear a try. The first season's a little rough in terms of production values and the show as a whole has some wild tone swings, but it's got a ton of heart and style and has grown into a really spectacular action show over the years.

Also yeah gonna echo the recommendations for Mob Psycho. The first season's great and the second is one of the very best action shows I've ever seen.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 10, 2019

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Coffin Princess is on crunchyroll and excellent throughout. The worst thing I can say about it is that the male lead's powered up mode looks very stupid.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Seconding:

Mob Psycho 100 is brilliant. Fantastic animation spectacle combined with some really effective and compassionate character writing.

Symphogear is a great fun time, and it's generally managed to further outdo its own insanity with every new season.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Planet With is great and on crunchyroll, too. It has a dog-man voiced by Norio Wakamoto, is a short series at 12 episodes, and is written by Satoshi Mizukami, the darling of ADTRW manga authors who is pretty excellent at taking a bog-standard genre and doing unexpected things with it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
planet with is a decent action anime that's also a really cool story about growing up and embracing your emotions, centering around a large group of people who start out fighting amongst each other but ultimately form bonds and support each other. it's cool

it also has a lesbian couple who know judo and have a pretty sweet arc

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Shageletic posted:

If you're looking for a long fighting show, Hunter X Hunter is the best one out there IMO. Really fun and unique fights in it.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Looking for some recommendations. I generally like whatever NGE was going for, some horror, some gross out, general hosed upness. Totally willing to stick those shows out on recommendation as well.

What I've watched and loved: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Hellsing Ultimate, Shiki, When They Cry, Elfen Lied, Vampire Hunter D, Ninja Scroll, Akira, Devilman Crybaby, Tokyo Ghoul, Castlevania.

What I've watched and struggled to maintain interest (even though I've heard amazing reviews): Attack on Titan, Psychopass, Future Diary, Death Note

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well there is Ergoproxy, but it's a bit of a hard recommend given that the first half is pretty bad, but the second half is excellent.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Off the top of my head:

Mononoke (not the ghibli movie, the 2007 tv series) is an interesting pseudo-horror series, more focused on atmosphere and weird visuals than like full-on scares. It's very style over substance but the style is gorgeous and it is interesting seeing the plot come into focus a bit, even if it isn't really the focus.

Another is basically just anime final destination.

Parasyte is kind of interesting body horror stuff, in the back half it gets a bit more action-y rather than focusing on the horror and weirdness of the central shtick (dude gets a hosed up alien in place of his hand) but it's not bad action and the front half is pretty cool.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Another would have been way better if it was the length of an actual Final Destination movie.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Hilario Baldness posted:

Looking for some recommendations. I generally like whatever NGE was going for, some horror, some gross out, general hosed upness. Totally willing to stick those shows out on recommendation as well.

What I've watched and loved: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Hellsing Ultimate, Shiki, When They Cry, Elfen Lied, Vampire Hunter D, Ninja Scroll, Akira, Devilman Crybaby, Tokyo Ghoul, Castlevania.

What I've watched and struggled to maintain interest (even though I've heard amazing reviews): Attack on Titan, Psychopass, Future Diary, Death Note

From the New World | Shinsekai Yori

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Terrible Opinions posted:

Another would have been way better if it was the length of an actual Final Destination movie.

Nah, Another presents itself as a mystery but deliberately withholds information that all of the characters would know to make it unsolvable unless you guess based on narrative cliches Also, all of the characters are extremely stupid.

There is actually a surprising small amount of anime that are part of the horror genre excluding 80s OVAs. You might want to check out Paranoia Agent. Also, check out the movie Perfect Blue, which was made by the same guy. Another anime you might like is Monster, but its pretty slow paced so its not for everyone.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Nah, Another presents itself as a mystery but deliberately withholds information that all of the characters would know to make it unsolvable unless you guess based on narrative cliches Also, all of the characters are extremely stupid.

There is actually a surprising small amount of anime that are part of the horror genre excluding 80s OVAs. You might want to check out Paranoia Agent. Also, check out the movie Perfect Blue, which was made by the same guy. Another anime you might like is Monster, but its pretty slow paced so its not for everyone.

Monster isn't horror, it's suspenseful drama. And it's really good at it :suspense:.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That's kinda what I was getting at. If it was just a 90 romp of hilarious rube goldberg deaths that could have worked, but it refused to be as trashy as it should have been.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Hilario Baldness posted:

watch the first 2 old devilman ovas too, alien 9, paprika/perfect blue, Kikoushi Enma then get into old ovas. i end up basically recommending the same stuff to these sort of questions over and over again cause there isnt much in the way of anime, but a lot more manga!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

question of my own: there's a lot of anime and manga where the mc is an artist who refuses to sell out, stays true to their dream of making the music/theatre/acting/food or whatever of their dream. sometimes they go along with selling out for a bit before having a dramatic reversal and going back to their dream. are there any series where they just full on sell out, and never go back on that

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Davincie posted:

question of my own: there's a lot of anime and manga where the mc is an artist who refuses to sell out, stays true to their dream of making the music/theatre/acting/food or whatever of their dream. sometimes they go along with selling out for a bit before having a dramatic reversal and going back to their dream. are there any series where they just full on sell out, and never go back on that

Selling out isn't quite right, but Bakuman is about a pair of manga artists who are trying to get serialized in Shounen Jump, and get an anime adaptation, and follows their careers for like, a decade or so.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

Black Heaven is about a musician that gave up the life for his family and even with the wild adventure involving his musical abilities doesn't go back into music as more than a hobby afterwards.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

girlish number?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i watched and didn't care for black heaven, and i dont recall many dreams in girlish number except get rich tbh (maybe the artist daughter girl? wasn't very memorable) but bakumen is new to me

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Looking for a show with a strong imouto

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

littleorv posted:

Witchcraft Works

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

littleorv posted:

snafu

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm going to recommend an odd manga here. It's a cosmic horror romcom/mystery called Her Appetite Is Too Big For Me Alone. It's about a boy, Funatsugi Makie, who fell in love with his adorable senpai.

But Makie has a problem. He can see these horrific, eldritch abominations called Vagrants. Nobody else can see them except him. And they're some top-notch nightmare fuel. They seem to be attracted to him, and as the series goes on, they only get more and more warped.

It's a rather thirsty(or should I say, hungry) manga, but Makie and Mitsuhara are adorable together, the story is genuinely intriguing, it's pretty funny, and the Vagrant designs are absolutely phenomenal. What happens in the series? Why...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

Cardcaptor Sakura

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019

Davincie posted:

i don't think this is really in the spirit of what you're looking for but it's what came to mind

https://mangadex.org/title/328

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i did actually read RRR around a month ago, good 3/4 series but the cartoony over the topness of the final enemy boxer was too much for me

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

i did actually read RRR around a month ago, good 3/4 series but the cartoony over the topness of the final enemy boxer was too much for me

how top are we talking over

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hes a multiple murderer, shows zero respect, his fans are thugs and biker gangs, rich playboy that beats up weaker boxers for fun and then taunts other with them and more i forgot . all the other boxers were fairly realistic and then he felt more like a shonen villain. probably would have been one if he didn’t have several sex scenes to show more of his dickishness

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

didnt RRR have an issue with the author being forced to rush the ending

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

theres a certain point in the story the pash radically speeds up so im willing to believe it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

hes a multiple murderer, shows zero respect, his fans are thugs and biker gangs, rich playboy that beats up weaker boxers for fun and then taunts other with them and more i forgot . all the other boxers were fairly realistic and then he felt more like a shonen villain. probably would have been one if he didn’t have several sex scenes to show more of his dickishness

yeah i love ring ni kakero 1