Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Residency Evil posted:

Even though I've been to the airport countless times, I'd never actually been to Detroit until today. When Grand tour did that Detroit episode earlier this year, I wondered how they managed to shut down such a long stretch of road in major city. It's probably not a surprise to anyone, but, uh, I figured it out.

For those of you that know Detroit, is it really rebuilding?
My dad lived there in the 70s and goes back about annually and says it is like a million times better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm pretty sure Trump won't break the two term streak. Last president that only had one term was like, Bush Sr, right?

If the nominee is Joe Biden he will 100% lose to Trump. :toxx:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bernie and Warren need to run together.

Or Tulsi, because she's hot.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Yeah, you can't pit a traditional elder statesman against Trump, especially one that waffles on important social issues like Biden

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Previa_fun posted:

If the nominee is Joe Biden he will 100% lose to Trump. :toxx:

Which is who the Democrats will run with because they're loving morons and have learned nothing from 2016.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Residency Evil posted:

For those of you that know Detroit, is it really rebuilding?

it is, but it may not be obvious and it's all relative. Here are some key facts about Detroit:

Peaked in population in 1960s at about 1.5 million. land area and infrastructure is scaled for up to about 3 million. Currently there are about 700k residents and the number is still going down. It's an absolutely massive city, and as the tax base has shrunk resources have been spread very thin. Was pretty much destroyed by white flight after the race riots. Unless the population starts increasing again for the city as a whole, none if it is going to matter.

All you have to do is look around - Oakland County is one of the wealthiest counties in the country. Most Detroit residents commute to jobs not in Detroit, and most jobs within the city of Detroit are held by people who are not residents of the city of Detroit. Revitalization has focused on a few select neighborhoods in the downtown core. It's gradually improving but of course that adds (in select areas) all of the traditional problems around gentrification in addition to the problems that already exist.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Biden is the worst, just because he represents all the bad that is the Democratic party -- mired in a history of complacency and flip-flopping in the breeze of public sentiment while not being strong enough to show a hint of backbone. My thought (and hope) is that the other 65% that aren't in the Biden camp are looking to other candidates BECAUSE they don't want Biden, along with their support for candidate "x."

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And then watch absolutly nothing being done about it except another round of loving thoughts and prayers.

I'm catching up on the thread, so not sure if this has been addressed or not, but at least in terms of El Paso itself, it's been a lot more than thoughts and prayers. We had to turn people away yesterday because so many people showed up to give blood (and I mean turn away by the hundreds, maybe even thousands) and none of the funeral homes in the city are charging anything for the victims. The shithead politicians may not do anything, but our city pulled together in a major way and I'm proud to live here (for more reasons than just this).

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

big dong wanter posted:

put a deposit on a ve commodore ss 6mt, anyone know of a good shifter because the stock one is hot garbage?

Congrats on the car - re: shifter, isn稚 it a TR-6060? I had a manual G8 GXP and it wasn稚 a bad shifter at all.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

C&D just did a story on octane. The story is spun to minimize the difference between low- and high-grade fuel, but it clearly shows a measurable increase in power for vehicles that can adjust for various fuel grades.

Unfortunately, all they showed was peak power, not the actual dyno curves. What I've seen firsthand is that some cars respond very well to premium fuel, but it's more of a difference in response to gas pedal input. My Avalon is night-and-day with crap grade fuel versus premium. The RDX that we test drove last week is spinning the tires with more than moderate tip-in of the throttle from a start. It just didn't do that last week (previous owners always used low grade gas, it's gone through a full tank of premium and a dozen key cycles since then).

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-feature/a28565486/honda-cr-v-vs-bmw-m5-ford-f-150-dodge-charger/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tremek posted:

Congrats on the car - re: shifter, isn稚 it a TR-6060? I had a manual G8 GXP and it wasn稚 a bad shifter at all.

The different shifters they put on that transmission / T56 over the years have a big impact on shifter feel, though I would expect the G8 and VE to feel exactly the same.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

They should have tested the regular 3.5 eco boost that 4 million people have instead of the 450 horse raptor variant that like 20,000 people have.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

bird with big dick posted:

They should have tested the regular 3.5 eco boost that 4 million people have instead of the 450 horse raptor variant that like 20,000 people have.

Yeah, I want to know what the difference is on a $25k truck, not the $70k version. No one who buys a $70k blinged out extra boost F-150 is going to consider using 87 in it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, I want to know what the difference is on a $25k truck, not the $70k version. No one who buys a $70k blinged out extra boost F-150 is going to consider using 87 in it.

Yeah, the person that bought the blinged out truck is the absolute most likely to use 87 in it because they need to save the money.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Kazinsal posted:

No one who buys a $70k blinged out extra boost F-150 is going to consider using 87 in it.
:allears:

Have you met, you know... people?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

fknlo posted:

Yeah, the person that bought the blinged out truck is the absolute most likely to use 87 in it because they need to save the money.

You can afford $600 a month, can't you?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

No one who buys a $70k blinged out extra boost F-150 is going to consider using 87 in it.

Oh sweet summer child

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Kazinsal posted:

To join in the rest of the class:

lololololol

Wealth projectors like Raptors are enjoyed for what they are very minimally, most people just want to be seen in them. That's why you have everyone laughing, because the most clueless and cheapest of people are the ones that buy something awesome like a Raptor, then put 87 Octane in it and replace 1 tire at all time.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Kazinsal posted:

\ No one who buys a $70k blinged out extra boost F-150 is going to consider using 87 in it.

Yeah nah, they gonna put whatever the cheapest piss they can find for it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Okay I get it people are stupid and ping ping knock ping what's that sound must be the BOOST I paid for knock knock ping

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeah nah, they gonna put whatever the cheapest piss they can find for it

Confirmed, the gas the dealer dumped into mine for the first tank was almost assuredly 85 (our regular here in CO) and now on the 3rd tank of 91 (our premium, welp) plus now on a modest tune, I can finally rotate the BFGs from a stop on dry pavement with traction control off in Sport mode.

Probably going to try an E50 tune next once this one is dialed in, but with all that said, I bet many idiots are currently in the process of ruining their Raptors and Limiteds with poo poo gas.

Kazinsal posted:

Okay I get it people are stupid and ping ping knock ping what's that sound must be the BOOST I paid for knock knock ping

The cabin of my truck is far too insulated to transmit pinging to the driver, plus Ford lies to you and pumps fake engine noise through the speakers because they池e evil.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Fake engine noise through speakers? What?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

QuarkMartial posted:

opengl128 posted:

Oh sweet summer child

Edit:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ew2UzsbWTk

It痴 a feeble attempt to mask the fact that Ecoboosts sound like canned rear end.

I think Ford痴 implementation is different - they池e doing noise cancelling on undesirable frequencies and amplifying other sounds using the interior mics and the stereo system?

Tremek fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 5, 2019

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

QuarkMartial posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundaktor

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
Trying to find a music video. I think it was an Irish band but the video is a pov drunk walk home I remember him pissing all over a toilet at one point.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

Trying to find a music video. I think it was an Irish band but the video is a pov drunk walk home I remember him pissing all over a toilet at one point.

Smack my Bitch Up, by The Prodigy?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
No but that's a good one.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Okay that fake engine noise thing is hilarious.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

QuarkMartial posted:

Okay that fake engine noise thing is hilarious.

It痴 on my focus ST too

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

A Small Car posted:

I'm catching up on the thread, so not sure if this has been addressed or not, but at least in terms of El Paso itself, it's been a lot more than thoughts and prayers. We had to turn people away yesterday because so many people showed up to give blood (and I mean turn away by the hundreds, maybe even thousands) and none of the funeral homes in the city are charging anything for the victims. The shithead politicians may not do anything, but our city pulled together in a major way and I'm proud to live here (for more reasons than just this).

I went to donate today on my normal routine and the wait was an hour. This happens every time a major shooting occurs. People assuaging their guilt over tragedy by donating once every time a massacre or two happens isn't going to change the endemic problem.

I know this is a deeply cynical view to have but I donate year round because it's one of the few things I can look at and point to when I desperately want to eat a bullet and unequivocally say "I saved someone's life I never met and I need to keep doing this." Someone donating because of a well publicised shooting is vanity and shameless ego stroking. It's good they do it, but it's only so they can go back to ignoring the problem.

I'm terrified of needles. I can't stand the sight of blood. I go to wrestle existential fear back in its loving box where it belongs alongside the deep rage I have at every motherfucker who is culpable and complicit. Every time that needle hits my arm and I want to panic and scream and throttle the world for it's numerous injustices but hold it together is another two months I've given myself reprieve from being consumed by my own sense of helplessness and inaction.

Go donate blood but don't do it because a bunch of people got shot up. Donate regularly so you can grapple with your own demons and get free fig newtons.

Edit note: the 'you' is not you specifically as an individual, but a more generalized 'you' of society at large.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 5, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

QuarkMartial posted:

Which is who the Democrats will run with because they're loving morons and have learned nothing from 2016.

The Dems know what's up. The main power bloc in the party, as exemplified by Pelosi, are just status quo centrists who find losing more profitable than acting.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

The Dems know what's up. The main power bloc in the party, as exemplified by Pelosi, are just status quo centrists who find losing more profitable than acting.

Pretty much this. A friend of mine got upset when I pointed out that a) I wished Sinema was the leftist McSally's campaign portrayed her as, and b) she's really just a slightly less lovely side of the same coin.

Yet here we are with her, an elected Democrat, tweeting for thoughts and prayers.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MC Hawking posted:

I went to donate today on my normal routine and the wait was an hour. This happens every time a major shooting occurs. People assuaging their guilt over tragedy by donating once every time a massacre or two happens isn't going to change the endemic problem.

I know this is a deeply cynical view to have but I donate year round because it's one of the few things I can look at and point to when I desperately want to eat a bullet and unequivocally say "I saved someone's life I never met and I need to keep doing this." Someone donating because of a well publicised shooting is vanity and shameless ego stroking. It's good they do it, but it's only so they can go back to ignoring the problem.

I'm terrified of needles. I can't stand the sight of blood. I go to wrestle existential fear back in its loving box where it belongs alongside the deep rage I have at every motherfucker who is culpable and complicit. Every time that needle hits my arm and I want to panic and scream and throttle the world for it's numerous injustices but hold it together is another two months I've given myself reprieve from being consumed by my own sense of helplessness and inaction.

Go donate blood but don't do it because a bunch of people got shot up. Donate regularly so you can grapple with your own demons and get free fig newtons.

Edit note: the 'you' is not you specifically as an individual, but a more generalized 'you' of society at large.

If they do it every time a major shooting occurs, that sounds pretty regular to me :shrug:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Preoptopus posted:

This one? Extremely not work safe

https://vimeo.com/14984618

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Raluek posted:

If they do it every time a major shooting occurs, that sounds pretty regular to me :shrug:

If they do it every time there is a major shooting they would be dead.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

6hrs later, both cars fit in the workshop again.

Taking bets on how long it is before they're parked out on the street again! Last time it was a week!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Well, we finally got to meet with my girlfriend's Oncologist on Friday afternoon for the first time. He only had liver biopsy results to go off of, he originally ordered a PET/CT scan to be done before we met with him so we could have as much information as possible, but her insurance pretty much said "nO wHaT iF iT iSnT cAnCeR" and we had to wait until the biopsy came back, which took like four days and pretty much got to the Oncologist right before we met with him.

But the biopsy tells us that it is breast cancer. She just turned 30 on Saturday so she hadn't done mammograms at all because she isn't in the "at risk" age group. The Oncologist is great, his nursing team are great, and we have a "nurse navigator" who is helping us schedule appointments, lurking in the background to make sure people are doing their jobs to contact us for appointments, etc, and she's really great as well. They are still doing further examinations and testing on her biopsy samples, and we have to get a mammogram and PET/CT (gently caress you, insurance) scan done still. Once those are all done, the Oncologist can narrow down our treatment plans and we will move forward.

I'm hopeful.

And so very very anxious and dreading the future.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Cancer is terrifying and I hope things go well for you guys.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 5, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Kazinsal posted:

My sister routinely put the cheapest poo poo she could find in her brand new escalade that required premium.

Pretty sure she does the same with their current twin turbo X5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Life is weird. Still miss the newfie, but my wife stumbled into what seems like a good thing, and I didn't say no, so:

5 month old French bulldog with papers. Lady who had him couldn't keep him due to surgery. He's pretty adorbs. When we first got married my wife and I had both an American bulldog and an English bulldog, so I guess we have something of an affinity for the bully breeds.