Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lodin posted:

Today I found a Unity port of Daggerfall some dude has been working on since 2014. He recently released the first Alpha and it's pretty mindblowing to see how well it runs now. Despite the janky rear end combat and poo poo dungeons I'm still having fun. I guess my unpopular opinion is that it kinda still holds up.
https://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/daggerfall-unity/live-builds/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd5c4AZiV9g

i've been following this port for a while. it is really awesome! its is safe to call unity Daggerfall "less buggy then Bethesdas version" at this point. its not perfect, but its 100% playable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I can't imagine there is any reason to play daggerfall

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

Pixelated boobies

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Flannelette posted:

Pixelated boobies

:pervert:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We need more rhythm games with plot. The Music of Eric Zahn adaptation when?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

Well obviously nostalgia is my main reason, but it helps that it has a ton of QoL changes. Now you control it like a regular first person game with WASD and the mouse and you just right click to attack. all the menus and other things that used to be buttons on the lower half of the screen have been replaced by keyboard shortcuts.
I think that anyone who started with Morrowind or the latter games and has fondness for the series should give it a go just to see what the games used to be like.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Lodin posted:

Well obviously nostalgia is my main reason, but it helps that it has a ton of QoL changes. Now you control it like a regular first person game with WASD and the mouse and you just right click to attack. all the menus and other things that used to be buttons on the lower half of the screen have been replaced by keyboard shortcuts.
I think that anyone who started with Morrowind or the latter games and has fondness for the series should give it a go just to see what the games used to be like.

Yeah, I'm not seeing it. Most diehard Beth fans loathe even vanilla Skyrim, let alone Daggerfall. I feel ES games tend to acquire and keep certain fans that become knowledgeable in their favorite's Creation Kit and just never see the point in changing over. I dont think any of them would be impressed or interested unless you mention some crazy backend customization built-in or actually rebuilding it with new, top quality assets in a modern graphics engine.

edit- Not that many of the MW+ fans that you mention actually "play" these games in the traditional sense.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Battlefield's Battle Royale mode is fun as poo poo and probably the best BR game except the bad matchmaking, which sadly will ultimately be it's demise.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Doom 3's cacodemon was a very cool design and his projectile attack looked really good

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doom 3 in general had some of the coolest Audio/visual design of any game at the time.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Doom 3's cacodemon sucked, Doom 3's mancubus was the best of the bunch.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Doom 3's cacodemon sucked, Doom 3's mancubus was the best of the bunch.

Baron of Hell was the best design in Doom 3, that's why they brought him over as the new hellknight

Commando, Pinky were also pretty awesome, put stuff like the imp sucked. I agree that Doom 3 had overall awesome enemy design (ticks, lost souls, cherubs...)

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Yeah, I'm not seeing it. Most diehard Beth fans loathe even vanilla Skyrim, let alone Daggerfall. I feel ES games tend to acquire and keep certain fans that become knowledgeable in their favorite's Creation Kit and just never see the point in changing over. I dont think any of them would be impressed or interested unless you mention some crazy backend customization built-in or actually rebuilding it with new, top quality assets in a modern graphics engine.

edit- Not that many of the MW+ fans that you mention actually "play" these games in the traditional sense.

Well I never played Arena back in the day but when Beth put it out for free I still gave it a go. It was obviously a huge pain in the arse to play but I still put a couple of hours into it for the novelty. That's really all I meant when I suggested people try out DF.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

What does "diehard fan" mean in this context? Is that the same as a hardcore apologist because those people loved skyrim

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

QuarkJets posted:

What does "diehard fan" mean in this context? Is that the same as a hardcore apologist because those people loved skyrim

Vanilla Skyrim, as in non-modded Skyrim. The diehard fan would be the people that are right now on this day playing and modding Skyrim, just as there are people playing and modding Morrowind etc as they will continue to for many years.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Vanilla Skyrim, as in non-modded Skyrim. The diehard fan would be the people that are right now on this day playing and modding Skyrim, just as there are people playing and modding Morrowind etc as they will continue to for many years.

Skyrim sold approximately eighty gazillion unmoddable copies, the “diehard fans” you’re referring to are actually known as “weirdos” in the common tongue

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Right and there is a good probability that people playing unmoddable Skyrim did not play the original Daggerfall or even know of it's existence.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Right and there is a good probability that people playing unmoddable Skyrim did not play the original Daggerfall or even know of it's existence.

that’s a pretty big assumption to make and has nothing to do with this fiction of diehard fans you’ve built up in your mind

the only place I’ve ever heard this weird greek chorus of “nobody likes unmodded Bethesda games” is right here on sa

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

food court bailiff posted:

Skyrim sold approximately eighty gazillion unmoddable copies, the “diehard fans” you’re referring to are actually known as “weirdos” in the common tongue

Its hosed up that anyone at all bought skyrim on a console because if you cant mod it you only get a beta version of 10% of the game

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

that’s a pretty big assumption to make and has nothing to do with this fiction of diehard fans you’ve built up in your mind

the only place I’ve ever heard this weird greek chorus of “nobody likes unmodded Bethesda games” is right here on sa

No it isn't. Why the hell would anyone want to play Daggerfall? It's a bad Bethesda game that cant be modded. Load it up, shocked to see it aged poorly like every ES game and uninstall.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Morrowind didn't age poorly unless you're playing it on an xbox

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bethesda games are fine without mods. I have no interest in mods in general because I’d rather just play a game as it was intended and be done with it. People who are all into mods seem to want to make a game a lifestyle when Ill get bored of it way before I’d care about adding a bunch of poo poo.

For once I’m not just being a console fanboy though because I do actually get why people are into it and I think it’s cool. Not everyone cares about using that poo poo though.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The thing with Bethesda's games is they're intended to have mods. Otherwise they'd have to actually make and release patches to fix things instead of leaving it to the community. The shipped game is incomplete by design

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was all ready to write up a rebuttal and then I remembered that my last/second play through of Skyrim, which was the VR version that just came out a year ago, was killed 50 hours in by a game breaking bug that has existed and has been well documented since Skyrim’s original launch. Bethesda didn’t bother to fix it even when porting to new platforms lol.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Incidentally I've got the Todd Howard theme stuck in my head now

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

veni veni veni posted:

I was all ready to write up a rebuttal and then I remembered that my last/second play through of Skyrim, which was the VR version that just came out a year ago, was killed 50 hours in by a game breaking bug that has existed and has been well documented since Skyrim’s original launch. Bethesda didn’t bother to fix it even when porting to new platforms lol.

You put fifty hours into a bethesda RPG and only ran one save file?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No I had probably 10 going but the bug was triggered like 30 hours before it actually affected the game, so loading different saves didn’t matter and even if I could have it would have set my progress back like 50%

Basically if you discover the vampire castle while you are just exploring around it’ll not only lock you out of doing that expansion, but the vampire lady will permanently follow you around for the rest of the game. but you can’t interact with her which is annoying as gently caress.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Annoying, but quintessentially Bethesda

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

olives black posted:

Elder Scrolls games prove Matt Christman 100% right

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

No it isn't. Why the hell would anyone want to play Daggerfall? It's a bad Bethesda game that cant be modded. Load it up, shocked to see it aged poorly like every ES game and uninstall.

wrong! there are daggerfall mods that are older than SA

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

It's a pretty safe assumption that the majority of 2019 AAA console gamers are not also 1998 PC niche gamers. Skyrim was the first ES game that was seen as accessible to the non-hardcore (see also: console gamers).

Unpopular opinion: I couldn't care less about mods, there are too many good choices these days to spend 6000 hours playing one game.

Dross fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 5, 2019

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the elder scrolls games all have the worst combat ever, just disgustingly awful feeling combat in every single aspect. They need to copy Vermintide 2 as much as they can for the next game.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Witcher 3 is better than any bethe$da

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

appropriatemetaphor posted:

True, but it's still on the decent side of mediocre.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

veni veni veni posted:

Battlefield's Battle Royale mode is fun as poo poo and probably the best BR game except the bad matchmaking, which sadly will ultimately be it's demise.

it breaks my brain that developers are consistently able to gently caress up matchmaking. PUBG matchmaking for Australian players was broken (as in, you effectively couldn't get into a game for most game modes) for nearly a year. They fixed it with a patch recently and now it's insta-queue for almost everything.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Water is wet. Sky is blue

Bethesda games are still fun to dick around in tho.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Was it getting stuck in that weird outdoor dinner party?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I get the sense that for some folks, modding a Bethesda game is like "souping up a classic car," in that there's endless tuning in an enclosed area, it's never really driven, and the end result is really gaudy and super delicate.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The concept of modding is so bewildering to me, i just don't need to try and stretch out that kinda mileage from any game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sometimes game devs just don't have the resources to complete their full artistic vision and you need an autistic 12 year old to step in and render the most realistic vaginas to expand the gameplay experience, since you only have enough money to buy one game per year on the expensive gaming PC that you punched your mom into buying for you.