Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

Just played an awesome game of The Watch with some goons and one of the codesigners... Shout out to whoever you are, goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Played a fantastic game of CoC an hour or so ago about some teens spending the night in an abandoned school house.
It was published in the first issue of Bayt Al Azif (phone posting so no link) on drivethru and was run by the author.
I seriously recommend it.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I've had friends talking up Pax Pamir, and I saw the Dune reprint is out. Anybody get a chance to demo either?

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Platonicsolid posted:

I've had friends talking up Pax Pamir, and I saw the Dune reprint is out. Anybody get a chance to demo either?

I got a chance to play the Dune game. I never got to play the original. I do like how all that houses are very thematic. I took quite a few pictures and we'll share them when able, Monday probably.

I got to play the emperor and ended up teaming up with the guild to win an allied victory. It wasn't difficult though because three of the people at the table looked bored, and the guy who ran our particular game didn't seem to know much about it. I knew one of the guys running another table named Mike. He said that the gentleman running our table had never ran the game before. I was disappointed because I ended up fighting the Harkkonen player to win the game. My traitor card was Sting himself. I thought that the other player would have played his strongest character try to counter my attack, but instead he defended with the weakest. Oh well. We cannot depend on the houses of the Landsraad to oversee spice production, so for now it will be overseen by the emperor and the guild.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

thicc_waluigi posted:

Just played an awesome game of The Watch with some goons and one of the codesigners... Shout out to whoever you are, goons.

That was probably me. That was an excellent game!

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

ZachAttack posted:

That was probably me. That was an excellent game!

Hell yeah! I'll never forget the screaming hole, or the attempts at backstabbing/inter-clan conflict.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ran a full table through Mermaid Adventures for four hours and they paid me to tell my lovely jokes.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Did they laugh?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I mean, you also charged people like four bucks a seat to see James D'amato in a doublet, I feel like you may need to stop writing down your business plans in a Madlibs book.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Haystack posted:

I mean, you also charged people like four bucks a seat to see James D'amato in a doublet, I feel like you may need to stop writing down your business plans in a Madlibs book.

Got my money's worth!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

thicc_waluigi posted:

Just played this game and had a blast, expect it to be HBOs next hit medieval fantasy drama.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Day four finishing up strong. I have had an amazing experience I didn’t anticipate enjoying it all as much as I have.

Have had a mix of ticketed games none of which I’d ever played before. I won our Scythe game and our Cat Lady games. Got plenty of magic events in and prize wise I’m leaving up for the weekend which feels great. Met a lot of nice people and got enough socializing in to last me for a bit. Demoed a few games in the exhibit haul. Got some fun stuff to take home and share with the family and friends (evolution, that bee life game, cat lady).

Just gonna relax for the rest of the day and hopefully play some of stuff we brought in the room.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Did some good morning Double Exposure. Dune wasn't demoing, bought it anyway. Got a chance to demo Megacities, which works better than I expected and is amusing as heck. Off to the airport. Peace out, nerds!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is it 2020 yet

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thoroughly enjoyed my first gencon! Thanks!

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Gencon went well, demo’d a ton of board games and made up for several months of sobriety. Ryuutama looks like a ton of fun and I am excited to find a group to run it for. Introduced some friends to the Battletech Pods, we had a blast.

Had my son with me today and kept him strapped to my chest. He slept for half of today, somehow. Was able to still demo.

Did ole Billy Mitchell actually succeed in his quest to get some high scores? He was there all weekend.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Managed just a bit over 64k steps over the con.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
365 days till gencon

E: actually just 360!!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fellis posted:

365 days till gencon

E: actually just 360!!

Welcome to my new blog, GenCon360, wherein your receive daily tips to prepare for GenCon 2020.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Welcome to my new blog, GenCon360, wherein your receive daily tips to prepare for GenCon 2020.

Today's Tips: Don't just park somewhere and leave your car there unless you want 7+ tickets.

Bring extra underwear if you're a man child, so you can leave your sharted in pair on the floor of a bathroom.

These tips brought to you by 2019 Gencon visitors.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I officially survived my first GenCon and came away with over $400 in free games from the booth I was working. Haul pics to come later when I finish unpacking.

I managed 50,655 steps over the course of the weekend. Pitched my games to a bunch of publishers, made a ton of great contacts, and the owner of the booth I was looking for is going to help me do some more pitching once he's recovered from GenCon in a few days.

The highlight of the con was seeing all the smiling faces as I demoed Walking Doggos. I have no idea if my demos will result in more sales, but just seeing people love the concept and the theme made my week.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I didn’t get a single picture of passed out nerds all weekend what the gently caress goons

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Today's Tips: Don't just park somewhere and leave your car there unless you want 7+ tickets.

Bring extra underwear if you're a man child, so you can leave your sharted in pair on the floor of a bathroom.

These tips brought to you by 2019 Gencon visitors.

Unironically bring extra underwear. Theres nothing like a fresh pair halfway through the day

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

I didn’t get a single picture of passed out nerds all weekend what the gently caress goons

Should've paid more attention to the GroupMe. :colbert:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Better yet, leave them outside the Chick-Fil-A on Sunday.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

My first GenCon hanging with goons for part of it, regretful that I didn't start doing so in years past.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

Better yet, leave them outside the Chick-Fil-A on Sunday.

Love you all. Thanks for the games, and the 2am depression chats. See you all next year <3

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I ran my first event this year! It was pretty nerve-wracking, but it ended up going surprisingly smoothly, and people seemed like they had a good time! (I didn't post about it in this thread since I try to maintain at least a nominal separation between this account and my IRL identity.)

I also got some cool stuff, and Mike Pondsmith even talked to me! He told me I was in the wrong line. :newlol:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lord Of Texas posted:

My first GenCon hanging with goons for part of it, regretful that I didn't start doing so in years past.
It really is amazing what a solid group we have. When I attended GoonCon that even the vehicle I drove down in had at least two horrifying people in it. And not even counting me.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I lived through a Cthulhu game, WTF?!?

But I died in Red Markets. That game was the unexpected stand-out highlight for me this year.

Also, after years of hemming and hawing and making lame excuses, I finally got out to SHOTS WEDNESDAY this year. It was great to finally meet Backno (who hipped us to Loughmillar's lo those many years ago), hang with Dr. Quarex again, and talk games with Lloyd (sorry, man, I didn't catch your goon name). I see now why it is rapidly becoming tradition.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Ilor posted:

But I died in Red Markets. That game was the unexpected stand-out highlight for me this year.

Red Markets is very good and at least a pdf copy is worth it for the extremely good lore about an alternate history zombie half-apocalypse. The logistical focus of the game is also pretty unique and I’m very interested in Caleb writing other settings for the system and using the system in a Roadside Picnic/STALKER game

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
The wife and I had an awesome time. First time Gen Con kind of blew me away.

Things that were awesome:
- Meeting people in the elevator. Where does this happen? Gen Con apparently! We met at least two people each day that were cool and had interesting few minute long conversations with. It kind of blew me away - it's just not something that happens anywhere else I've been.
- True Dungeon. Super fun, kind of hectic - only understood about 50% of what was going on. GMs in the rooms were cool. Got a badass ultra rare token that I need to figure out how to sell.
- Vendor hall madness - I think my enjoyment of this one will wear off eventually but it was really something to see so much going on everywhere. Looking at pictures after and seeing so many things we missed after spending hours in the hall just ingrains the epicness of it all.
- TOVA - Hilarious. Will never miss it as long as I'm at Gen Con.

We kept walking around finding more stuff/people/games everywhere. Each new day was like a new discovery of like an entire football field worth of stuff(in one case literally!) we didn't know about. When we first walked into Hall B,C,D,E on day 2 we were just in awe that we hadn't even noticed this ginormous room!?!?!

I regret not spending more time with the goons. We had early stuff going on every day and by 11pm we were spent. I think we need to shift our times around a bit for late night gaming at the JW. We didn't even make our way over to JW3(Holy poo poo, another massive space filled with stuff!?!?!) until the third night and by then we were beat. We stopped by and said hello to a few goons and headed out.

I am legitimately sad that it's over and going back to work today was difficult. I miss it already :(

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Bottom Liner posted:

i have a bunch from shots wednesday and i didnt take all of them

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Playing board games on the floor of a basketball arena was a lot of fun.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Yiggy posted:

Playing board games on the floor of a basketball arena was a lot of fun.

Lucas oil stadium is for football.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Another gencon another resolution to myself that I'll stop lurking so much and :justpost:

This was my first year bringing games to sell at the consignment shop and it was a great idea. Getting an extra $100+ back on games that didn't really click really helps me feel better about buying so many games this weekend.

Numinous posted:

- Vendor hall madness - I think my enjoyment of this one will wear off eventually but it was really something to see so much going on everywhere. Looking at pictures after and seeing so many things we missed after spending hours in the hall just ingrains the epicness of it all.

Every year I come away from Gencon having had a lot of fun but telling myself that next year I've got to spend less time in the vendor hall and more time actually playing games instead of buying them.

Thanks as always to everyone for the good time at shots Wednesday. I always have trouble coming out of my shell but goons are surprisingly good at still helping me feel included when I'm struggling to socialize.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

So salty I had to protect America during GenCon weekend :911:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

djfooboo posted:

So salty I had to protect America during GenCon weekend :911:

Hey man I had to defend greyhawk from bugbears so we all had a busy weekend

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Hey man I had to defend greyhawk from bugbears so we all had a busy weekend

And I defended all of Golarion from the world's worst Lich and all his terrible minions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Lucas oil stadium is for football.

I rolled a 1 on perception :downs: