Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

CitizenKeen posted:

So, apparently Tales from the Loop, Coriolois, Mutant Year Zero, etc., are all the same engine, ish? I just learned this.

If I wanted to read one set of rules just to have the clearest understanding of what you can do with the system, I should read...

The one with a setting that interests you. System is basically roll xd6, count 6es. Mostly you can push a roll to try again/get more successes when it matters, at a cost of potentially gaming yourself/breaking your toys.

Spite and I are intending to start a dedicated thread by this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Oh, good, thanks for letting me know. I'm impatient to read the SRD, and currently, my time budget is the RPG bottleneck, not the money budget.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Covok posted:

I have an idea for a good DC game.

The premise is that a crisis just happened that completely remade the Multiverse like Crisis om Infinite Earths or Flashpoint. Character creation is basically making picthes of how that license character's timeline will be and as play goes on you can decide what is and is not canon from the previous Multiverse or the one before it or a new idea you just made up.

Like, let's say you're playing Superman. You can decide to make Rogol Zarr the cause of krypton's Destruction or Brainiac or even Jor-El's macination. And Clark could actually be Zod's child and be raised by Mexican immigrants and look like this:

You basically get the license and get to play in their world but not have to worry about adhering to any continuity and get to pick whichever Parts you like and throw away whatever Parts you don't like.

I've been kinda doing something similar the last couple of days for a Super Robot Wars setting*, with the basic idea being that it would include many of the series and franchises that are regulars to those games(so stuff like Gundam, Mazinger, and Getter Robo), but instead of existing versions these would be new interpretations on them

This basically got started when a dream of mine basically created a new Getter Robo concept from the ground up, and I decided to expand it from there, I can go into more detail if anyone is interested

*that might see use someday in a Battle Century G game or something

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ugh our next 13th Age session got cancelled cause of a player's family emergency and their summer schedule is already so full we can't meet again until late September.

yes it's probably the most valid reason there is and it sucks far more for them than anyone else but it still sucks and I want to whine about it

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

My Lovely Horse posted:

Ugh our next 13th Age session got cancelled cause of a player's family emergency and their summer schedule is already so full we can't meet again until late September.

yes it's probably the most valid reason there is and it sucks far more for them than anyone else but it still sucks and I want to whine about it

I feel you. My group's on a four-week hiatus 'cause everyone's managed to have family commitments every weekend for a month.

Still, can't hurt to have more time for GM prep work.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

My Lovely Horse posted:

Run a one shot!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They're not local so we're only meeting up every 4-6 weeks for that game as it is, and we just had to cancel our series of one-shots for local players last week and can't make a new date until in 3 weeks.

Prep time's good but by now I've got like the next three sessions worked out already.

so we'll be good until Christmas 2021

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Has anyone had time to give deep thought to the new edition of Fiasco? I am troubled by the move of playsets to decks of cards. It feels like it will speed up play, but I'm not sure how it will impact distribution of playsets by PDF.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

My Lovely Horse posted:

The penultimate session of the DnD4 game I run was June 26. In an attempt to let everyone who's played show up, the finale is tomorrow, August 3. Summer is always hard on gaming groups, I find people are much less busy when all the kids are in school and schedules are more solid.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Has anyone had time to give deep thought to the new edition of Fiasco? I am troubled by the move of playsets to decks of cards. It feels like it will speed up play, but I'm not sure how it will impact distribution of playsets by PDF.

There's a new edition of Fiasco?

If it's any good it might give me a reason to use some of these Magic card sleeves I tend to get as freebies at cons.

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 2, 2019

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

bbcisdabomb posted:

There's a new edition of Fiasco?

If it's any good it might give me a reason to use some of these Magic card sleeves I tend to get as freebies at cons.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bullypulpitgames/fiasco-the-cinematic-game-of-plans-gone-wrong

I think we can blame Invisible Sun for this, just like we can blame 5e for how many of the changes made to the Pathfinder 2e Playtest are just removing mechanics and replacing them with "whatever your GM thinks".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

bbcisdabomb posted:

Summer is always hard on gaming groups, I find people are much less busy when all the kids are in school and schedules are more solid.
Yeah. But also last year we had to enter a two month break in autumn/winter cause the same two players had their schedule full from November 1st onwards. I hope that doesn't happen this year.

e: I guess the smart way to approach it would be to step up my online DMing game so we could do online and in-person sessions in turn and get a somewhat regular schedule going.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 2, 2019

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I definitely understand the appeal of shiny cards and a box set and I think the rebrand as a party game will probably be good for sales. I would miss the old-style playsets but I have a feeling that any fan sets will be distributed in both formats.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Finally, an edition war for my favorite game. :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

LongDarkNight posted:

Finally, an edition war for my favorite game. :v:

Today, you are a man.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
That would explain all the hair.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

It looks like it's just an alternate way of playing Fiasco? You just use cards instead of dice, but it doesn't seem like there's any major changes in the rules. And has Bully Pulpit made any new playsets or collections recently? This playsets that come with this, including the expansion packs, were already made for the first edition.

hyphz posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bullypulpitgames/fiasco-the-cinematic-game-of-plans-gone-wrong

I think we can blame Invisible Sun for this, just like we can blame 5e for how many of the changes made to the Pathfinder 2e Playtest are just removing mechanics and replacing them with "whatever your GM thinks".

Except the props don't seem to be there for the sake of being there. The first edition even recommended using index cards to write down Relationships and Details and the little mat is for the Outcomes and Aftermath cards.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
This is an interesting article about Play By Mail games in Japan in the late 80s through the 90s.

https://www.dampfkraft.com/games/japanese-postcard-net-games.html

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, the Fiasco 2e card mechanics seem sensible to me. They look like they're focused on creating greater accessibility and visual appeal for Fiasco as a pick-up-and-play party game, which is one of its big strengths. I'm not sure I feel the need to actually back the KS, since I already own the game and the Companion playset collections, but it seems like a perfectly good idea and I hope it does well.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Helical Nightmares posted:

This is an interesting article about Play By Mail games in Japan in the late 80s through the 90s.

https://www.dampfkraft.com/games/japanese-postcard-net-games.html
This was fascinating, I know I would see ads in like, Pyramid when I was a young puppeteer to the effect of big military sims, but those seemed to be more economic strategy stuff and usually advertised that a computer ran it all.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Heliotrope posted:

It looks like it's just an alternate way of playing Fiasco? You just use cards instead of dice, but it doesn't seem like there's any major changes in the rules. And has Bully Pulpit made any new playsets or collections recently? This playsets that come with this, including the expansion packs, were already made for the first edition.

Except the props don't seem to be there for the sake of being there. The first edition even recommended using index cards to write down Relationships and Details and the little mat is for the Outcomes and Aftermath cards.

It's hyphz so pretty much every point he makes is dumb but these two are especially dumb since A). games have been using cards and other assorted handouts since before Invisible Sun was a black plastic cubical gleam in Monte Cook's eye and B). Paizo has never needed to try and emulate another game to make terrible design decisions since long before the existence of D&D 5E.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

e: I guess the smart way to approach it would be to step up my online DMing game so we could do online and in-person sessions in turn and get a somewhat regular schedule going.
Okay so what is the gold standard for running a game online these days? Battle maps and voice chat are a must, tracking game mechanics is optional, video chat is extremely optional.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Roll20 is the only real option.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Or Tabletop Simulator if you're doing something with cards.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

potatocubed posted:

Or Tabletop Simulator if you're doing something with cards.

I'll also throw in Fantasy Grounds as an option but very limited to certain games (the DnDs, Savage Worlds, Cthulhu, Pathfinder, Fate/Core). The automation and functionality is fantastic. Anything outside of those, you're going to get better community support with Roll20 or TTS as said above.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Is there a nationgame RP community that isn't crewed by nazis or neocons because I left the second in a row because one of the admins posted /pol/ memes about european politics (the other had no nazis but they said that China should have been invaded during Tiananmen)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I mean Tiananmen was super hella hosed up, but I don't think invasion would have helped. Like at all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I mean Tiananmen was super hella hosed up, but I don't think invasion would have helped. Like at all.

I don't think it has ever helped.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think it has ever helped.

World War 2 continues to be the universal exception (as in invading Nazi Germany and its occupied territories).

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Does it still have role-identification? (IE, you have your character who is yours and other people aren't allowed to mess with.)

The few times I tried Fiasco I enjoyed the setup more than the actual play, and I was left feeling like it was retaining some elements of trad RPGs (like role-identification) which it didn't really need to.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

So after running a few Paranoia adventures for my main group I've become "the one shot guy." We're probably gonna be running those as downtime between the normal DnD that I'll be a player for.

Anyway... it's a good opportunity to try out systems, I think. I'm definitely gonna run Jailbreak once I get 6 players in a room to get that Greg Stolze fix, but in the meantime: anyone here can say something about Blades in the Dark and/or Leverage in actual play? They both seem like interesting and quite similar, but also quite different systems. Not sure about the Blades in the Dark dice pools but I think the system has more actual teeth; whereas Leverage seems like a perfect fit for a lighthearted heist thing, and I really like the dice system - the downside is that I think there's way less to actually do.

As said, I would like the system to stand on the strength of a one-shot, like Paranoia. For that, Leverage seems great - you can have a crew going in 20 minutes and a heist be ongoing in an hour.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 5, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

dex_sda posted:

As said, I would like the system to stand on the strength of a one-shot, like Paranoia. For that, Leverage seems great - you can have a crew going in 20 minutes and a heist be ongoing in an hour.
Feng Shui 2 is awesome for one-shots.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I really should finish writing up the fluff for my Ankh-Morpork nationgame one of these days. I did the mechanics and character bios a while back.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a vaguely goon-approved list of Good RPGs? I'm looking to expand my collection.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

dex_sda posted:

So after running a few Paranoia adventures for my main group I've become "the one shot guy." We're probably gonna be running those as downtime between the normal DnD that I'll be a player for.

Anyway... it's a good opportunity to try out systems, I think. I'm definitely gonna run Jailbreak once I get 6 players in a room to get that Greg Stolze fix, but in the meantime: anyone here can say something about Blades in the Dark and/or Leverage in actual play? They both seem like interesting and quite similar, but also quite different systems. Not sure about the Blades in the Dark dice pools but I think the system has more actual teeth; whereas Leverage seems like a perfect fit for a lighthearted heist thing, and I really like the dice system - the downside is that I think there's way less to actually do.

Danger Patrol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a vaguely goon-approved list of Good RPGs? I'm looking to expand my collection.

FATAL, Myfarog, Pathfinder, Castles and Crusades.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've had good experiences with D&D 4th edition, Strike!, Dungeon World, and Blades in the Dark for examples.

There's an excellent list of "Powered by the Apocalypse" (PBTA) games here, which will likely have a theme you like paired with solid rules.

If I was pushed to make a single recommendation, I'd first ask - "Are you the kind of RPGer who wants to push minis around a battle map?" In that case I'd recommend Strike. If you'd rather play mini-less, then something PBTA would fit better.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Arivia posted:

Translator's Note: Farog means Struggle.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Arivia posted:

Kinda unfair listing the latter two with the former, Pathfinder is dumb and clunky and Castles & Crusades is probably more complicated than it really needs to be, but neither are anywhere near as bad as those first two

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Making an objective review of MyFarog that judges it on the mechanics and setting only without mentioning the white suprematism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Kinda unfair listing the latter two with the former, Pathfinder is dumb and clunky and Castles & Crusades is probably more complicated than it really needs to be, but neither are anywhere near as bad as those first two

Castles and Crusades’ design lead or whatever (Davis Chenault) said that the inner-city projects were great examples of real life dungeons, complete with monsters to slay and treasure to loot.